Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658715 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#491007 Nov 12, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
There's only 1 God, call Him whatever name you wish, just call upon Him.
But don't call Him late for dinner.
You and your wacky theology dishonor the Jewish father by pretending that his son abandoned him.

Naughty, naughty Catholic, believing that a Jew would work in Catholic confessionals.

You are certain to receive NO rewards for your blasphemy.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#491008 Nov 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>another member of your church would not ever tell me the name of ONE person in the Bible who RECEIVED the Holy Ghost when they were Baptized, which is a major doctrine coming from your denomination. thank you in advance for answering this very easy question since you do claim that your church is the only Biblical church in the Bible. so certainly you would know who were your earliest converts.
just ONE name is sufficient, and please don't lie to me , nor sluff off on this Question. In fact, IF you cant answer this Question with all Honesty, you should leave this forum and this church that you support.
All Christians once baptized receive the holy spirit. No one receives the ability to do miracles like the Apostles did.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#491009 Nov 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if it would help if I told him I was baptized. It just had nothing to do with my salvation.
Yes, baptism plays a part in our salvation....

How else do we DIE to sin???

Prince George, Canada

#491010 Nov 12, 2013
Human Being wrote:
Peace to all...
Yesterday, I witnessed the most amazing sets of rainbows in the sky, in my 6 decades on the Earth.
To describe them in words, would be very difficult...Two hemispheres of rainbows with inverted rainbows above each of them, and pierced by white light to the northern and southern horizon.
Some scientific explanation would be nice, but for now, I see it as a sign in the heavens....As I have recently seen other things in the sky....
Hahahahahaha

Did you SEE Jehovah in the sky ... with all his Jewish supporters ... practicing pure and unadulterated Judaism???

Probably NOT huh.

I suggest the images of Catholic saints in your psyche blurred your VISION!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#491011 Nov 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me an example then Hank. Should be easy if it is from God's Word.
Law of Christ....what is that, Chuck???

Once we grasp the law, sin comes to life and we die.

What is the Apostle Paul saying???
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#491012 Nov 12, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>=========
A very objective way to determine which church schismed, Orthodox or Catholic, istostudy the Original Church before 1054 and see which continued the ways of the Original Church and which changed.
==========
PRIOR TO 1054 SCHISM
1 Ancestral Sin not Original Sin
2 Church Government- Conciliar
3 Bishop carries the Apostolic Succession
4 Each Local Church is the Entire Church and carries fullness of faith(meaning of catholic) so no need for Universal Bishop
5 Church is not Secular (after split Cath Church works closely with Charlemagne and the Franks))
6 Priests can Marry
7 Divine Liturgy of John Chrysostom- During the period of the fourth to sixth centuries, the shape of the Eastern Divine Liturgy reached its final form under the guidance of liturgists such as St. John Chrysostom. In this same period the major formative changes occurred, most of which resulted in liturgical components that corresponded to the Church's developing theological understanding
8 Ancient Hymns- not Modern- the hymn "Only-Begotten Son" ( composed around the 4th or 5th Centuries )and the "The Trisagion Hymnn (408-450), this period and on through the ninth century, hymns were composed and added to the Divine Liturgy, such as the Cherubic Hymn, sung while the priest recites the prayer that is now called "The Prayer of the Cherubic Hymn." ( In either 573 or 574, Justinian I had the Cherubic Hymn added to the standard liturgy.) These hymns have continued to be heard every Sunday from then until today.
10 No Infallibility
11 Only priest Distributes Eucharist
----------
AFTER 1054 ORTHODOX CHURCH CONTINUED THE ABOVE
==========
AFTER 1053 CATHOLIC CHURCH CHANGED ORIGINAL CHURCH PRACTICES AS FOLLOWS:
1Original Sin not Ancestral Sin
2.Church Government Monarchial, not Conciliar
3 Assumption Immaculate ConceptionA
4 Each local Church is not a fullChurch in itself but one part, with all the other Cath Churches, in the Catholic Church
5. Church became heavily involved in secular Frankish government
6. Priests cannot Marry
7 Mass changed many many times
10. Modern Music- some historical hymnsistribute Eucharist
11Eucharistic Ministers
Hermi

Peace

Thank you for your post....

I do like your breakdown of the "schism".

I accept there will be historical differences, and the ebb and flow of varying degrees of beliefs. It seems these become more like familial relationships, which come together over cultures....

I am a "big" fan of John Chrysostom. Personally, I would like to keep things simple. The fragmentation of belief systems, in the earlier days of Christianity, probably was not considered as strongly, as in our days. I think this may be due to various powers in the world seeking to usurp God's Authority over and in all things.

I think its easier to take a more relaxed approach to differences, and take them as opportunities to a deeper spiritual life.

Peace

Prince George, Canada

#491013 Nov 12, 2013
Wacky theology

The beautiful sunset is the work of Jehovah.

The suffering of all form of life is also the work of Jehovah.

Yesterday I watched the program "Animal Cops." A pack of dogs broke through a fence and chewed several goats to death. The men rescued four baby goats but the ears were chewed off of each baby goat.

Praise ye OH wonderful father of all suffering.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#491014 Nov 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me an example then Hank. Should be easy if it is from God's Word.
God's creation was already condemned.

Why, because of sin!!!

Doing nothing maintains our condemnation because of our sins.

Now, what is the rest of the story???

Prince George, Canada

#491015 Nov 12, 2013
Praise ye OH WONDERFUL PROVIDER JEHOVAH!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

Every year 15 million children die of hunger

Throughout the 1990's more than 100 million children will die from illness and starvation.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/pr...
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#491016 Nov 12, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahahaha
Did you SEE Jehovah in the sky ... with all his Jewish supporters ... practicing pure and unadulterated Judaism???
Probably NOT huh.
I suggest the images of Catholic saints in your psyche blurred your VISION!
June

Peace

Long time, no see....

Are you able to vex others? Don't worry about me. I am more critically-minded than you, so your opinions and thoughts are of a (natural) superficial nature But in a sense, they help bolster my faith. So thank you....

Peace

Prince George, Canada

#491017 Nov 12, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>

I am a "big" fan of John Chrysostom.
You would be his fan! He spun Judaism off into a new religion foreign TO Judaism, called Catholicism, and away from the image of Jehovah as being god.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

L. Michael White: Professor of Classics and Director of the Religious Studies Program University of Texas at Austin

At what point did Christians start thinking of themselves as separate from Judaism?

The preacher of Antioch and later of Constantinople, John Chrysostom, complains in a series of eight sermons to his congregation, that "you must stop going to the Synagogue, you must not think that the Synagogue is a holier place than our churches are." This clearly indicates that the break between Judaism and Christianity, even as late as the 4th century ... still is not absolute, is not permanent.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows ...

Prince George, Canada

#491018 Nov 12, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
I am more critically-minded
You are a heavily indoctrinated Catholic.

Prince George, Canada

#491019 Nov 12, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a "big" fan of John Chrysostom.
"Hell is paved with priests' skulls." -- St. John Chrysostom

Prince George, Canada

#491020 Nov 12, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, baptism plays a part in our salvation....
When do you plan to be reborn as a Jew???

Only then will the ONE god JEHOVAH idolize you as you now idolize your self.

Silly people!
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#491021 Nov 12, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
In my last post I indicated that science lacks certainty due to at least 2 unprovable assumptions at its foundation:
1. That the objective world exists 2. That the objective world has consistency and regularity (predictability).
This post will focus on science's primary tool- the scientific method.
The scientific method is useful for gathering observable practical information re the world we live in. We derive benefits from it. It is a practical tool when used for the purpose it is designed for.
The scientific method is predicated on naturalism and/or materialism . It focuses on the material world- on observable phenomena. It relies on testing and repeatability.
Naturalism is holds that the natural realm is all there is. There is no supernatural realm or realities.. Only material things exist. There are no immaterial things. The totality of human experience can be understood through natural laws, science, and human reason.
The scientific method had circumscribed its area of study. Matter, the material world, the physical world, observable phenomenon.
However science often crosses this boundary.
It declares that if it cant be proven in a lab, under the scientific method, it doesnt exist.
It assumes that it encompasses the whole of reality,
It boldly comments on a transcendent, immaterial God who exists outside of the universe.
Science proposes that the scientific method is whole, complete, and sufficient.
It assumed the only reality is the material world. There is no immaterial, transcendent world.
It assumes that if it is not material it does not exist because it does fit within the scientific method's parameters. God cannot be observed, studied, or measured by the scientific method. Therefore, for science God does not exist.
Einstein compared a man trying to understand reality to a man trying to understand the mechanism of a closed watch. He sees numbers, moving arms, etc But he does not have the tool to open it. The scientific method cannot open it. He will never be able to compare his picture with the actual mechanism.
Hermi

Peace

I think one of the brain's strengths and weakness is its bias for order. So it is easier to accept a sort of uniformity and order in the things we observe, rather than in the "unobservability" of things....

This may be even a more basic flawed assumption of human beings.

I think it is the reason that all scientific theories just keep "changing".(And also the money that goes into "research".)

Peace

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#491022 Nov 12, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Education hs never proven that it can change a person's inner most beng.The many demons that haunt human kind,that is: their addictions,fetishes and things they do that disrupt their lives and others as well,(we call sins) are never challenged by education ,but only by a conviction in a person's heart that they need help with their infractions and ills of human behavior.
Religion cannot help a person to change his or her attitude,but it can make them aware they have a problem.But God who knows our hearts and has counted every hair on our head SEES,and can penetrate our barriers to Him.He wants to change us from within,because He is Perfect,and wants to give us a big chance to know what life can be like in His perfection,rather than our dysfunction!
========
Very well said.

Prince George, Canada

#491023 Nov 12, 2013
Human Being or Robert F. prefers to picture the priests up in Christian heaven being glorified by the Jew Jesus.

To believe, as did John Chrysostom ... that priests go to hell is not an image that those who have their eyes focused on heaven ... CHOOSE to entertain.

Keep it POSITIVE Robert F!!! Don't think of hell as being associated with Catholicism. Otherwise your religion won't work in your hypnotized "favor."

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#491024 Nov 12, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Wacky theology
The beautiful sunset is the work of Jehovah.
The suffering of all form of life is also the work of Jehovah.
Yesterday I watched the program "Animal Cops." A pack of dogs broke through a fence and chewed several goats to death. The men rescued four baby goats but the ears were chewed off of each baby goat.
Praise ye OH wonderful father of all suffering.
Bible God is a sociopath.

Spinoza's God make's much more sense.

Prince George, Canada

#491025 Nov 12, 2013
I suggest that it's not by chance that the pope hopes the confessional with Jesus as his slave will clean up all the horrendous deeds committed by the Catholic hierarchies.

But, to believe that the son of a Jewish god, that in turn watched countless Jews being tortured and murdered by Catholics, would be working in Catholic confessionals ... is beyond a FAR stretch of imagination.

That type of thinking borders on theological insanity!!!

Prince George, Canada

#491026 Nov 12, 2013
More than a few people were driven completely insane by preachers that instilled fear of hellfire and damnation in them as being based on truth.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Georges Minois … History of Suicide … Voluntary Death in Western Culture … Translated by Lydia G. Cochrane. First published in 1995.

“A Missionary, by his fiery declamations and the image of the torments of the next world, so terrorized a credulous grape farmer that the latter believed himself frankly headed for eternal flames, and he thought of nothing else but saving his family and helping them to enjoy the palms of martyrdom.” 30 The treatment that Pinel suggested was to isolate the patient and keep him from all contact with religious objects.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 1 min gundee123 5,017
Black people are more evolved then white people? (May '13) 2 min Johnny 249
mandy at morristown hamblen 9 min concerned for health 7
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 10 min JohnInLa 140
Mark Zuckerberg Is A Zionist Jew (Jul '12) 24 min Johnny 8
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 29 min bad bob 183,460
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 47 min andet1987 3,031
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Aura Mytha 974,734
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Aura Mytha 70,878
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 282,986
More from around the web