Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685462 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Chuck

Dublin, OH

#489656 Nov 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The OT folks were not "saved" as you understand it prior to Christ's redemntion of mankind.
OT folks were saved just like Christians today..by faith.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#489657 Nov 8, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Hank! First you say the above and then you post this Scripture;
Titus 3:5
5 he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.
Can't you see that is a contradiction?
IF he sees that, then he cant belong to a false church like the campbellite denomination. hank has went from being a catholic which he grew tired of and joined the Campbell/stone movement.

from the frying pan right into the fire[of hell]

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#489658 Nov 8, 2013
marge wrote:
God's Mercy to Us
…4But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, 5He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior.
Right
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#489659 Nov 8, 2013
It also mentions Constantine's supposed vision on the eve of his "battle"... which seems in conflict with the scripture "thou shalt not kill." Anyway Constantine supposedly embraced the Catholic religion "because" he won the battle.

http://books.google.ca/books ...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#489660 Nov 8, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Hank! First you say the above and then you post this Scripture;
Titus 3:5
5 he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.
Can't you see that is a contradiction?
Marge,

The problem, Marge is the word "works"

You believe that 'baptism' is a work....

The answer is yes and no....

Baptism IS NOT a work of man....

However,

Baptism is the 'working of God'

Colossians 2:12

12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the <<<working of God,>>> who raised him from the dead.

1 Corinthians 12:6

6 There are ~~~different kinds of working,~~~ but in all of them and *****in everyone it is the same God at work.*****

People do not have the understanding of what is meant by faith and works....this is where the confusion comes it...
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#489661 Nov 8, 2013
The link didn't work. This was the battle that encouraged Constantine to convert to Catholicism.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Battle of the Milvian Bridge

According to chroniclers such as Eusebius of Caesarea and Lactantius, the battle marked the beginning of Constantine's conversion to Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Mi...
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#489662 Nov 8, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>the important part of that verse to a Christian is Belief, not baptism.
if a person doesn't believe and yet gets baptized, what profit does he possess?
however if a person Believes(Born Again) and doesn't get Baptized, he still will go to Heaven.
that verse says nothing about eating a piece of grain or drinking some wine and they are Saved, does it? it isn't mentioned, is it? another nail in the coffin of the rcc as they teach it is a sacrament allowing them to go to Heaven. just as foolish as the teachings of the campbellite church concerning water baptism
I'd be careful if I were you trying to add to Jesus's words here preston. The verse says if you believe AND are baptized you will be saved. It also means one can be baptized and not be a believer which refutes the idea that you have to be a believer to be baptized.

We DON'T believe baptism is by itself the ticket to heaven if it isn't accompanied by faith as one matures. We DO believe in listening to EVERYTHING Jesus said about salvation, not just a few cherry-picked verses.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489663 Nov 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Setting aside the example of the good thief, as it wasn't really possible for him to be baptized while hanging on the cross, I happen to know that Catholic and Orthodox priests and many of the mainline protestants DO baptize at deathbeds unbaptized persons who desire to receive Christ. I'd have to know the specifics, but in my opinion, if someone is alone and has no opportunity for baptism, then yes, they can be saved. We call it "baptism by desire". If someone is being counseled by a priest or pastor and they reject baptism, I would say no. Now, if they're being counseled by a fundmentalist preacher who rejects the necessity of baptism and they go along with it, I really don't know where they'll end up.
How,many times,does,Jesus,say ..thy faith has,saved thee..or heeled.or healed their loved one's,

FAITH
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#489664 Nov 8, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
hey Chuck. Go Bucks. Urban is doing pretty good with someone elses recruits. But I don't care.
anyway what just came to me is this.
you were once a catholic, but now a Christian.
Hank was once a catholic, and now a campbellite. both believe that water saves them.
both are wrong!
Urban is a popular guy around here.

You think the Bucks will go to national title game???
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#489665 Nov 8, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>you are wrong. Paul taught AND BELEIVED JUST AS THE CHRISTIANS ON HERE BELEIVE.
Preaching the Cross will save someone.
Preaching water baptism will save no one and all of us know that , who are Christians.
the Blood was applied to our sins, it will not wash away, but water evaporates
"Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489666 Nov 8, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
OT folks were saved just like Christians today..by faith.
AMEN

THeir faithfulness,forward to God's,promise .

They were redeemed by Christ ..as,are,we
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#489667 Nov 8, 2013
The concept that winning a war meant the gods were on YOUR side was not uncommon and is still used in wars of our present era.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From the book "The Comfortable Pew," by Pierre Burton comes the following....... Published in 1965.

But if the British and American clergy each felt that their nation was especially chosen of God, so did the German Clergy. Gott Mit Uns was the cry.“The German soul is God’s soul and it shall rule over mankind,” said Pastor Lehmann, a comment that was attacked by a Yale professor of practical theology, Henry Hallam Tweedy, as blasphemy, though it was remarkably similar to the one expressed by his own dean on behalf of the American soul.

June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#489668 Nov 8, 2013
Constantinian shift

Constantinian shift is a term used by Anabaptist and Post-Christendom theologians to describe the political and theological aspects of Constantine's legalization of Christianity in the 4th century.[36] The term was popularized by the Mennonite theologian John H. Yoder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_ ...
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#489669 Nov 8, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
They were redeemed by Christ ..as,are,we
How arrogant ... and silly!!!

Location hidden

#489670 Nov 8, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Urban is a popular guy around here.
You think the Bucks will go to national title game???
I don't think so but it helps that Oregon lost to Stanford. that should make us #3.

I love that 2 string QB. he can run and his passing is pretty good 2
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#489671 Nov 8, 2013
The fact that Constantine gave Catholics all the power over other religions had nothing in common with the Catholic religion being based on truth.

It had everything to do with Constantine taking care of his own interests.

After all ... how could he force others into Catholicism and seem at all credible if HE did not also convert to Catholicism???
marge

Leesburg, GA

#489672 Nov 8, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Marge,
The problem, Marge is the word "works"
You believe that 'baptism' is a work....
The answer is yes and no....
Baptism IS NOT a work of man....
However,
Baptism is the 'working of God'
Colossians 2:12
12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the <<<working of God,>>> who raised him from the dead.
1 Corinthians 12:6
6 There are ~~~different kinds of working,~~~ but in all of them and *****in everyone it is the same God at work.*****
People do not have the understanding of what is meant by faith and works....this is where the confusion comes it...
The answer is yes and no, lol!

Let's try his again,

"For Christ didn't send me to baptize, but to preach the Good News--and not with clever speech, for fear that the cross of Christ would lose its power."

What does it mean that the cross of Christ would lose it's power?

Could it mean the power alone to Save completely with nothing added?
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#489673 Nov 8, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>people like you that believe foolishness will never be able to explain the MALEFACTOR who was never baptized. however, he did what all Christians have done and that is, they cried out to Jesus for mercy, and that cry Saves them. not water!.
almost 9 months after I was Saved, I went down to my Pastors fathers church where he was going to Preach that night. he didn't know that I was going to be there, but his message was concerning water baptism and it was meant for me. and after his message, I told them that I had drove 35 miles just to hear him Preach at me, and all laughed. and the next Sunday, I was baptized in water and Oh How God Blessed.
Anthony, It was a Blessing, NOT SALVATION. and people like you and hank don't know the difference and someday, that difference can and will send people to hell.
Belief AND baptism. In no particular order. That's what Jesus said.

Location hidden

#489674 Nov 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be careful if I were you trying to add to Jesus's words here preston. The verse says if you believe AND are baptized you will be saved. It also means one can be baptized and not be a believer which refutes the idea that you have to be a believer to be baptized.
We DON'T believe baptism is by itself the ticket to heaven if it isn't accompanied by faith as one matures. We DO believe in listening to EVERYTHING Jesus said about salvation, not just a few cherry-picked verses.
[accompanied by faith as one matures] so the Blood applied to a person when he first believes and is Saved isnt enough? is that what you are implying. that maturation must enter into the Gift of Salvation to the believer. LOL.

every time that you post, you show that you know NOTHING about the salvation and the gift of Eternal Life to the believer.

Maturation or as Christians call it , Sanctification, is good to help us lead a Christian lifestyle, but it plays no part in our Salvation, that was taken care of on Calvary.

in my few years, I have seen people mature very quickly in their walk with the Lord(I was one) and seen others who seemed to never grow in the Lord but that lack of Growth never lessened their love of the Lord.

If you ever get Saved, you will understand, until then you will walk with blinders on your face, never seeing what God will do for US, who are Christians.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#489675 Nov 8, 2013
Religionists often suffer from curious mental afflictions.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

From the book, "The Way Our People Lived," ... An intimate American history, by William E. Woodward, published 1944, comes the following ...

The Puritan temperament was deeply tinctured with an inclination towards needless self-torture. Their ministers seldom preached of the joys of heaven; the emphasis in the sermon was laid on the tortures and terrors of hell. Jonathan Edwards-the most famous of colonial divines, declared that God takes delight in the suffering of poor lost sinners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 17 min Alt right lies ne... 24,639
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Aerobatty 985,584
News Gov. Abbott suggests 'bathroom bill' is likely ... 3 hr e williams 3
Sarah George 5 hr Rememberboys 1
News GOP not interested in health care for us 5 hr discocrisco 1
OVERWHELMED...by God's blessings 7 hr Doctor REALITY 12
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Jake999 619,749
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 7 hr Doctor REALITY 32
More from around the web