Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658876 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#489298 Nov 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So do we have to be baptized to go to Heaven?
No.

But believing in ALL of what Jesus already states that, and you would have known that if you did believe in Jesus.

But since you had to ask the question, it is quite clear you don't beleive in what Jesus taught.

Imagine that.
Liam

Minneapolis, MN

#489299 Nov 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
rotflau!!! you don't know what you believe Clay
Actually, I know exactly what I believe. You don't.

You wanna play God and say "you all are going to hell for not being born again"

Truth wants to play God by saying, "none of you are born again unless you use water"

Neither of you two have any business closing the door on who God can save. Got it?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#489300 Nov 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>that is what some on here are nor following. we get Baptized because we love the Lord, not because we are Commanded to.
we are now Saved individuals, not some puppet who gets in a line and follows some ritual laid down by some church.
in the small country churches around here, a person can not join a church unless they are Baptized, and many churches do give out a Baptismal Declaration just so people can keep them for a keepsake, but it isn't a ticket to heaven by any means.
I know some of them...I know them as "people", not as "churches". I try to help them when I can(probably not enough at times). There are many ways to "save" those in need. They don't care about my tatoo's, and I don't care about their "choir robes".

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#489301 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
All Catholics are pretty certain any infant is going to Heaven. Baptized or not. The Apostles taught infant Baptism because Baptism is THAT important though.. Nobody believes its absolutely 100% the only way to Heaven, but it was taught to be essential,
so we don't mess with it.
I can think of a hundred different scenarios where someone might get saved without the normal means of Baptism. But that doesn't mean you should be teaching anything other than what the Apostle revealed. If you're interested in what they taught, you can read the writings of the early Church less you be in danger of preaching a different gospel than what Our Lord desires.
So there for,sure,is,NO LIMBO any more,As,I was,taught ..just clearing it up ..those babies,are,with the,Lord now,released from.there???
Or it was,never a,place ? For babies born or preborn.

I ask because,I'm curious,if CHURCH changing its,teaching released them..But also because,one,of your posters,yesterday referred to it as,a,real place ...

I'm serious,here,....as the thought of babies,..had us,in school really worried..to the,point we,wanted to be clear if we ever saw,a,dying baby ..or person...we should th to baptize them if no priest was around .
WE TOOK ALL THE TEACHINGS VERY SERIUOSLY ...But we also had,children's,thoughts,.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#489302 Nov 7, 2013
who="OldJG" <quoted text>
You are lost. You have absolutely no Biblical knowledge. You seem to think our sins catch God by surprise. God knows what my sins were, are and will be. No surprises for him. He knew what He was getting when He got me.
If Jesus did not die for all of my sins then Jesus did not die for any of my sins.

----------
He died for all of our sins...but we must keep our fellowship current with Him. If I sin today, I must repent. We cannot live in disregard of Him, just because He forgave us when we first came to Him. My current and future sin He is faithful to forgive IF and when I give it to Him.

KayMarie
Liam

Minneapolis, MN

#489303 Nov 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So there for,sure,is,NO LIMBO any more,As,I was,taught ..just clearing it up ..those babies,are,with the,Lord now,released from.there???
Or it was,never a,place ? For babies born or preborn.
I ask because,I'm curious,if CHURCH changing its,teaching released them..But also because,one,of your posters,yesterday referred to it as,a,real place ...
I'm serious,here,....as the thought of babies,..had us,in school really worried..to the,point we,wanted to be clear if we ever saw,a,dying baby ..or person...we should th to baptize them if no priest was around .
WE TOOK ALL THE TEACHINGS VERY SERIUOSLY ...But we also had,children's,thoughts,.
Rose, I swear you bring up limbo twice a day. It was never (I repeat) never a dogmatic teaching of the Catholic Church. It was a theory. Maybe the nuns taught you this theory, I dunno. They never taught me that.
We leave all unbaptized people- including infants- up to the infinite Love and Mercy of the creator. Period.
Gods R Delusions but Mine

Orlando, FL

#489304 Nov 7, 2013
How are your gods doing today?

Anyone find the ultimate truth yet?

The obvious answer is NO.

That's because my God is the only true God.

So....

... most people are wrong and I am right.

Sound familiar? Of course it does, because that is the essence of virtually every post here.

I'm right and you are wrong.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#489305 Nov 7, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Down? War-weary?- nah - just a little disappointed that as many so-called "Christians" are here - and most seem to avoid using honesty in certian areas or in their responses.
*shrugs*
To each his/her own, huh?
Self.
NASL

Peace

"To thine own self be true", Hamlet(Shakespeare)....

It is easy to fall back to being "justified by faith". And the challenge of using reason, and having others do so, can have disappointing results....I have been there many times. It is especially hard for those committed to a certain world-view....

But consider we are almost in winter, and some years one can have SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder in varying degrees and stages. I know for myself, I live a more "seasonal" life, than by the clock now, so I am well aware of the decline in light levels....Be aware of it in others as well....

Peace

Heaven is happy. Hell is SAD....(smiles)

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489306 Nov 7, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You are lost. You have absolutely no Biblical knowledge. You seem to think our sins catch God by surprise. God knows what my sins were, are and will be. No surprises for him. He knew what He was getting when He got me.
If Jesus did not die for all of my sins then Jesus did not die for any of my sins.
JG

I don't think.the ARE,saying Jesus,did,NOT take,all Sin to the,,Cross ..coveted them with blood

Just that we,must REPENT sins,when we are saved ...And,those committed after ..we cannot run around living an evil.life ...without repenting .
The SPIRIT WILL chastise us ...unless,we harden our hearts ..

Just like,an unbelievers,sin was,on the,CROSS ..waiting to be forgiven by FAITH .

please,correct me if I'm.wrong CONFRINT .

Jesus,had to die for all Sin..he,knew them.before we were,born

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#489307 Nov 7, 2013
let’s examine the Roman Catholic claim that it is the “first church.” Nowhere in the New Testament will you find the “one true church” doing any of the following: praying to Mary, praying to the saints, venerating Mary, submitting to a pope, having a select priesthood, baptizing an infant, observing the ordinances of baptism and the Lord’s Supper as sacraments, or passing on apostolic authority to successors of the apostles. All of these are core elements of the Roman Catholic faith. If most of the core elements of the Roman Catholic Church were not practiced by the New Testament Church (the first church and one true church), how then can the Roman Catholic Church be the first church? A study of the New Testament will clearly reveal that the Roman Catholic Church is not the same church as the church that is described in the New Testament.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/original-church.h...

Orlando, FL

#489308 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose, I swear you bring up limbo twice a day. It was never (I repeat) never a dogmatic teaching of the Catholic Church. It was a theory. Maybe the nuns taught you this theory, I dunno. They never taught me that.
We leave all unbaptized people- including infants- up to the infinite Love and Mercy of the creator. Period.
Limbo was taught to nearly every school-age Catholic child during the 1950s.

And 200 years ago, the RCC was teaching about the evils of democracy.

And 200 years before that, the RCC taught that slavery was OK.

From these and thousands of other deeds, we know that the RCC cannot possible be "one true."

If fact, Jesus told us so, when he said "for ye shall know them by their deeds.

Call Jesus a liar if you wish, but facts are facts.

And the facts say Jesus is not lying.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#489309 Nov 7, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
OldJG

Peace

I am not saying I disagree. But would expand upon what you write:

Sin of course can be an action. But it is also a condition of the heart.

Guilt is not so easy to forgive, and is more like permanent dye on the soul. It requires constant repentance to keep washing it away....

A soul professing itself to be Christian but is full of guilt, becomes dark. So reliance upon Jesus alone, negates the effect of having one's sins washed away without a change of heart(constant washing of the heart).

In short to be an effective Christian, one must become Christ-like, and in doing so one pursues virtue, and collects an air of purity about their soul....

Peace

Orlando, FL

#489310 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I know exactly what I believe. You don't.
You wanna play God and say "you all are going to hell for not being born again"
Truth wants to play God by saying, "none of you are born again unless you use water"
Neither of you two have any business closing the door on who God can save. Got it?
You nare the one calling Jesus a liar.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489311 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
You folks,..please, anytime you change SONETHING ..You deny it was,taught as fact ....You are,wrong on that ..I'm.assuming I'm.older than you are,...
YOU PEOPLE,TAUGHT LIMBO ..IT MADE A,HUGE IMPRESSION ON US,..

..WE WERE,TAUGHT THIS,....it wasn't that long ago.That you abolished it .it was,a very very CATHOLUC School ..ACTUAlly 2, in different states,

STILL one of your Catholics,posted that it's,still there,..which is how it got brought up ...
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#489313 Nov 7, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="OldJG" <quoted text>
----------
He died for all of our sins...but we must keep our fellowship current with Him. If I sin today, I must repent. We cannot live in disregard of Him, just because He forgave us when we first came to Him. My current and future sin He is faithful to forgive IF and when I give it to Him.

KayMarie
Contrinting
KayMarie

Peace

Nicely put....And is reasonable.

I would add that one must have a change of heart, from the old to the new, vice to virtue, in order for the effect of God forgiving sin to return to him filled with glory, and not void....
Peace

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489314 Nov 7, 2013
Sorry for repost ..didn't show up.

Location hidden

#489315 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Its possible with God, but we still should go with what the Apostles taught the Church. Bring your infants to get Baptized into the family of Christ. His Church. Raise them with the Sacraments...
Any other scenario is too risky. It seems like many born agains went the party animal route, then luckily met Jesus and changed. I doubt that's the normal path the Apostles taught..
Wrong, the Apostles never taught that infants and or children are to be baptized. No where in the bible will you see that baptism of an infant and or a child is ever done, never. The Catholic church is a false church. They do nothing the bible says, how do you not know this. Are you aware there is nothing at all in the bible about a catholic church, nothing. The church of the bible is the Church of Christ which was established in the year 33AD on the day Pentecost. The catholic church as I said isn't mentioned in the bible at all, and there isn't no mention of a Pope because God doesn't need a Pope. You need to go to the nearest Church of Christ and get right by being baptized because as it stands now you are lost.

Location hidden

#489316 Nov 7, 2013
Are those in the church of Christ the only people who are going to be saved? Of course they are! God adds people to His church when they are saved. If you are not in the Lord’s church, then you are not saved. If you are saved, then you are in the Lord’s church. To be saved outside of the church of Christ is to be saved outside of the body of Christ – and that can never happen. Jesus is not just a way to the Father; he is the way to the Father. As Jesus said in John 14:6,“ I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

Thus, the real question is not what is the church of Christ, but is rather how do you become a part of the church of Christ? That question was asked in the first century as it is asked today, and the answer remains the same. We are saved and added to the Lord’s church when we obey the gospel of Jesus Christ. Like the Apostle Paul, we are saved when our sins are washed away at our baptism.

There is one church of Christ. If you are a member of something else or something more or something less, then you are not serving God according to His plan or according to His will. He wants you to be a Christian and only a Christian, wearing only the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, who is the head and the savior of the church, His body.

Want to know more? Here are 10 things everyone should understand about the church, here are some common misconceptions about the church, and here is how God views the church.

What Must I Do?

What must I do? That same question was asked in Acts 2:37 at the end of the very first gospel sermon ever preached. Before we look at Peter’s answer in verse 38, let’s look at some answers Peter did NOT give.

What must I do? John Calvin answers,“Nothing!” According to Calvin, there is nothing we must do and nothing we can do. Each of us has already been personally predestined to Heaven or Hell without regard to anything we do on Earth, and so, logically, according to Calvin, the only answer to the question in Acts 2:37 is “Nothing.” But that is NOT how Peter answered that question.

What must I do? Many preachers today answer,“You must make Jesus the Lord of your life.” But that answer makes absolutely no sense then or now! Peter had just said in Acts 2:36 that “God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” Jesus was already Lord of their lives! Jesus is Lord of lords and King of kings, which means he is your Lord and your King whether or not you obey him or believe him. We obey Jesus because he is Lord and King – not to make him Lord and King.

What must I do? Many preachers today answer,“You must pray the sinner’s prayer and invite the Lord Jesus into you heart.” But no one in the Bible was ever told to do that. In fact, Paul prayed after he saw Jesus on the road to Damascus (Acts 9:11), and yet Paul was still in his sins when Ananias met him three days later (Acts 22:16). Cornelius prayed to God always (Acts 10:2), and yet there remained something he still had to do after calling for Peter (Acts 10:6). If praying the sinner’s prayer was all that Paul and Cornelius needed to do, then why were Ananias and Peter needed?

What must I do? Listen as Peter answers that question:“Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”(Acts 2:38) That answer has not changed one bit in the intervening 2000 years. If your preacher is telling you something different, then you need a new preacher!“And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”(Acts 22:16)

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#489317 Nov 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
As,Kay was,..Muslims,are having visions of Jesus ...if they worship Him
..or trough the HOLY Spirit realize He was,not just a,prophet as they were taught ...And worship Him.
Fragments of the bible are circulating all over China,and other places,.
Underground transmissions of sermons ..
Are these people going into the,streets asking folks to baptize them ?
Baptism is,worthy of Christ we should ..But the HOLY SPIRIT can
Inspire belief in Christ ...anywhere ..any time ..how H,E choises..
When or were he chooses..by whatever means .
We cannot limit the POWER of GOD ..
RoS, he is wrong. and GIF will bear me out. Not always do we have to preach before a person gets saved. sometimes they get saved after a person testifies, sometimes they get Saved when someone is singing Gospel Music.

I have seen people get saved just after they got out of their seat, didn't even make it to the altar(and now years later, his son in law is a Preacher)and fell in the aisle and Prayed thru(something that people in campbellite churches know nothing about).lol

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#489318 Nov 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>In ancient times, God winked at ignorance
If a god existed ... I suggest it winked at its own ignorance of creating all forms of life to in turn suffer.

Religion is based ON ignorance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 min donaldtrump 283,018
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 11 min gundee123 5,061
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 37 min Gabriel 974,828
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Doctor Jekyl 71,051
Blacks need to be deported NOW! (Oct '10) 2 hr Johnny 157
Leroy Willams and Mary 3 hr theyruthwillsetyo... 1
i need a man to get me pregnant no strings atta... (Dec '12) 3 hr Carlo 73
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 4 hr Go Blue Forever 254
More from around the web