Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646605 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#487988 Nov 4, 2013
So, even if we were not born in sin, it still makes no difference to the concept that when the god created Adam and Eve, he knew ahead of "time" that all humans were going to end up being vile-sinners.

Wasn't that nice of the god to be so thoughtful as to create lesser beings than his self, so he could in turn judge them and reject them to a life of eternal servitude in hell???

Religion is beyond stupid!
StarC

San Diego, CA

#487989 Nov 4, 2013
Continue...

The Roman distaste for Christianity, then, arose in large part from its sense that it was bad for society. In the third century, the Neoplatonist philosopher Porphyry wrote:
How can people not be in every way impious and atheistic who have apostatized from the customs of our ancestors through which every nation and city is sustained?... What else are they than fighters against God?{10}
Read more here

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/his...

See June, the first Christians called Catholic by St Ignatius in the first century were very much persecuted also.
That's the way the world was in those day, very sad.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#487990 Nov 4, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian Persecution
In its first three centuries, the Christian church endured regular (though not constant) persecution at the hands of Roman authorities. This experience, and its resulting martyrs and apologists, would have significant historical and theological consequences for the developing faith.{4}
Among other things, persecution sparked the cult of the saints, facilitated the rapid growth and spread of Christianity, prompted defenses and explanations of Christianity (the "apologies"), and, in its aftermath, raised fundamental questions about the nature of the church.
The article that follows explores the history of persecution of the early church, some of the reasons behind it, and two important Christian responses to persecution: the glorification of martyrdom and the writings of the apologists.
Extent of the Persecutions
The total number of Christians martyred in the early church is unknown. Although some early writers speak of "great multitudes," modern scholars tend to believe the actual number is not so great as is sometimes imagined. Out of the 54 emperors who ruled between 30 and 311 AD, only about a dozen went out of their way to persecute Christians.{5}
It has been calculated that between the first persecution under Nero in 64 to the Edict of Milan in 313, Christians experienced 129 years of persecution and 120 years of toleration and peace.{6}
The Roman persecutions were generally sporadic, localized, and dependent on the political climate and disposition of each emperor. Moreover, imperial decrees against Christians were often directed against church property, the Scriptures, or clergy only. It has been estimated that more Christians have been martyred in the last 50 years than in the church's first 300 years.{7}
Reasons for Persecution
The Roman Empire was generally quite tolerant in its treatment of other religions. The imperial policy was generally one of incorporation - the local gods of a newly conquered area were simply added to the Roman pantheon and often given Roman names. Even the Jews, with their one god, were generally tolerated. So why the persecution of Christians?
In order to understand the Roman distrust of Christianity, one must understand the Roman view of religion. For the Romans, religion was first and foremost a social activity that promoted unity and loyalty to the state - a religious attitude the Romans called pietas, or piety. Cicero wrote that if piety in the Roman sense were to disappear, social unity and justic would perish along with it.{8}
The early Roman writers viewed Christianity not as another kind of pietas, piety, but as a superstitio, "superstition." Pliny, a Roman governor writing circa 110 AD, called Christianity a "superstition taken to extravagent lengths." Similarly, the Roman historian Tacitus called it "a deadly superstition," and the historian Suetonius called Christians "a class of persons given to a new and mischeivous superstition." {9} In this context, the word "superstition" has a slightly different connotation than it has today: for the Romans, it designated something foreign and different - in a negative sense. Religious beliefs were valid only in so far as it could be shown to be old and in line with ancient customs; new and innovative teachings were regarded with distrust.
Continue....
~~~~```

QUESTION..

IF EVERY CHRISTIAN ON EARTH WERE JUST LIKE YOU...BELIEVED WHAT YOU BELIEVE...

LIVE as you do...

LOVE as you do...

WORSHIPED GOD... as you do..

WAS AS FAITHFUL AND HONEST... as you are..

TO GOD...

and your fellowman .

WOULD YOU GUARANTEE.... THAT IF THEY DIED SUDDENLY...and faced God

THEY WOULD GO TO HEAVEN?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#487991 Nov 4, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest :)
OK< I [suggest] that YOU SHUT UP and go back where you came from

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#487992 Nov 4, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a well known fact of history that the Catholic denomination is based on paganism...
Really? In what way. Please be precise, so I might understand why you make that assertion. Take your time with it. It will probably be at least a few days before I am capable of even reading your reply.
StarC

San Diego, CA

#487993 Nov 4, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~~```
QUESTION..
LIVE as you do...
LOVE as you do...
TO GOD...
and your fellowman .
THEY WOULD GO TO HEAVEN?
Today yes, ask me again another day.

#487994 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~~```
QUESTION..
LIVE as you do...
LOVE as you do...
TO GOD...
and your fellowman .
THEY WOULD GO TO HEAVEN?
~~~

I you cannot answer yes...to my above questions...

WHY ARE YOU ATTEMPTING TO PERSUADE SOME ONE ELSE TO FOLLOW YOUR

EXAMPLE?

WHY DO YOU PROPAGATE UNCERTAINTY?

Dawson Creek, Canada

#487995 Nov 4, 2013
And if the Wiccan goddess loves everybody, she has a strange way of showing that love.

She ought to come down from the moon ... show herself ... and say ... "Stop fighting over who the gods love and who the gods will reject!!!" You are being silly and causing the whole world unnecessary grief!"

But she stays in the moon where she lives and thrives on human imagination.

Silly people and their silly religions!!!

Dawson Creek, Canada

#487996 Nov 4, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>OK< I [suggest] that YOU SHUT UP and go back where you came from
According to you ... did I come to earth from heaven or from hell???

Within theology, it had to be from one place or the other ... didn't it???

:)

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#487997 Nov 4, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>You hope God has mercy on your soul for such a blasphemous post.
==========

First of all out of civility I did not mention that the Orthodox consider the Immaculate Conception as an innovation of Catholics and a heresy.

Second of all, Sera was referring to John Chrysostom. He is recognized by the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church as a saint and as a Doctor of the Church.Hardly a blasphemer.

Chrysostom comments on Matthew 12:46-49:
"That which I was lately saying, that when virtue is wanting all things are vain, this is now also pointed out very abundantly. For I indeed was saying, that age and nature, and to dwell in the wilderness, and all such things, are alike unprofitable, where there is not a good mind; but to-day we learn in addition another thing, that even to have borne Christ in the womb, and to have brought forth that marvellous birth, hath no profit, if there be not virtue.

And this is hence especially manifest. "For while He yet talked to the people," it is said, "one told Him, Thy mother and Thy brethren seek Thee. But He saith, who is my mother, and who are my brethren?"

And this He said, not as being ashamed of His mother, nor denying her that bare Him; for if He had been ashamed of her, He would not have passed through that womb; but as declaring that she hath no advantage from this, unless she do all that is required to be done.

For in fact that which she had essayed to do, was of superfluous vanity; in that she wanted to show the people that she hath power and authority over her Son, imagining not as yet anything great concerning Him; whence also her unseasonable approach.

See at all events both her self- confidence and theirs. Since when they ought to have gone in, and listened with the multitude; or if they were not so minded, to have waited for His bringing His discourse to an end, and then to have come near; they call Him out, and do this before all, evincing a superfluous vanity, and wishing to make it appear, that with much authority they enjoin Him.

And this too the evangelist shows that he is blaming, for with this very allusion did he thus express himself, "While He yet talked to the people;" as if he should say, What? was there no other opportunity? Why, was it not possible to speak with Him in private?

(Homilies on the Gospel According to St. Matthew, 44)

Regarding John 2:3-4, Chrysostom comments:
For where parents cause no impediment or hindrance in things belonging to God, it is our bounden duty to give way to them, and there is great danger in not doing so; but when they require anything unseasonably, and cause hindrance in any spiritual matter, it is unsafe to obey.

And therefore He answered thus in this place, and again elsewhere, "Who is My mother, and who are My brethren?" (Matt. 11,48), because they did not yet think rightly of Him; and she, because she had borne Him, claimed, according to the custom of other mothers, to direct Him in all things, when she ought to have reverenced and worshiped Him.

This then was the reason why He answered as He did on that occassion....And so this was a reason why He rebuked her on that occasion, saying, "Woman, what have I to do with thee?" instructing her for the future not to do the like; because, though He was careful to honor His mother, yet He cared much for the salvation of her soul

(Homilies on the Gospel According to St. John, 21)

#487998 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
I you cannot answer yes...to my above questions...
WHY ARE YOU ATTEMPTING TO PERSUADE SOME ONE ELSE TO FOLLOW YOUR
EXAMPLE?
WHY DO YOU PROPAGATE UNCERTAINTY?
~~~

IF ALL YOU HAVE TO OFFER IS UNCERTAINTY ...

You are not only playing the lottery with you own soul

YOU ARE EXPECTING AND PERSUADING SOME ONE ELSE TO

BELIEVE A LIE AND BE DAMMED..

Mat_15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And

-->if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. <--

Dawson Creek, Canada

#487999 Nov 4, 2013
StarC wrote:
Continue...
See June, the first Christians called Catholic by St Ignatius in the first century were very much persecuted also.
Of course they were persecuted. From the perspective of other religious believers, the Christians were nuttier than fruitcakes.

And within the stupidity of religion ... nothing has changed.

Those who see through their own view-finders ... always see evil "out there" and holiness inside their own walls ... built by self's "defense."

#488000 Nov 4, 2013
IF ALL YOU HAVE TO OFFER IS UNCERTAINTY ...

You are not only playing the lottery with you own soul

YOU ARE EXPECTING AND PERSUADING SOME ONE ELSE TO

BELIEVE A LIE AND BE DAMMED..

Mat_15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And

~~~~

If you religion is not of faith and you have no certain assurance of your destiny IN FOLLOWING IT...

it is a sin unto you,,

THE BIBLE SAYS

Rom_14:23

for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#488001 Nov 4, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>OK< I [suggest] that YOU SHUT UP and go back where you came from
The catholic church is actually the biggest deceiver of mankind with there false teachings. Nothing they say is true, nothing. Pick up the King James Version or any other bible except the catholic bible and tell me if you see anything about a catholic church. The answer will be no. The bible doesn't mention anything about the catholic church or Peter becoming a pope. The catholic church branched off the true church which is the Church of Christ, which was established in the year 33AD on the day of Pentecost when Peter was preaching and the people wanted to know what they needed to do to be saved and Peter told them, repent and be baptized. That day God added 3,000 souls to the Church of Christ which Jesus said he would build. Matthew 16;18, Acts 2 37-38, Mark 16;16, Romans 16;16 The catholic came about by a few people who enjoyed the attention and gifts they were given from the roman dignitaries and thus was the beginning of the roman church when these people decided to do things the way the romans wanted things to be done. The catholic church doesn't do anything the bible says there suppose to do, nothing. Wake up and realize the catholic church is a false doctrine.

Dawson Creek, Canada

#488002 Nov 4, 2013
If I was born of a perfected god ... how could I be born in sin.

My supposed soul had to come to earth from either evil or perfection ... so did a devil or a god sponsor my birth???

As is all theology ... your theology is wacky!!!

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#488003 Nov 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...boy, Clay, you are really stretching it now.....
You DO NOT understand, Clay.....
SIN is an ACT committed by the individual.......
"The soul that sins, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son."
What can we learn by these scriptures, Clay?
.....the guilt of sin cannot be passed from one generation to another.
That is not the whole of it.
The sin(iniquity) of the father is not teaching the son proper discourse through justice, fairness, and love.
The son is then left at a disadvantage as are his sons. That is the curse of the generations.
Hence, the generations bear the iniquity of the fathers.
It is what it is.

Dawson Creek, Canada

#488004 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text>
So I suggest you stop trying to LEAD and admit that you are dumb ... as are the rest of us mortal animals.

But I doubt that you and your arrogance to believe you know truth will take my suggestion as being of any worth whatsoever.

Dawson Creek, Canada

#488005 Nov 4, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
Bragging that you are working for the lord indicates that you are certain that the lord played into your scheme of giving you the only truth on earth.

How funny and how GREEDY of attitude!!!

#488006 Nov 4, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> The catholic church is actually the biggest deceiver of mankind with there false teachings. Nothing they say is true, nothing. Pick up the King James Version or any other bible except the catholic bible and tell me if you see anything about a catholic church. The answer will be no. The bible doesn't mention anything about the catholic church or Peter becoming a pope. The catholic church branched off the true church which is the Church of Christ, which was established in the year 33AD on the day of Pentecost when Peter was preaching and the people wanted to know what they needed to do to be saved and Peter told them, repent and be baptized. That day God added 3,000 souls to the Church of Christ which Jesus said he would build. Matthew 16;18, Acts 2 37-38, Mark 16;16, Romans 16;16 The catholic came about by a few people who enjoyed the attention and gifts they were given from the roman dignitaries and thus was the beginning of the roman church when these people decided to do things the way the romans wanted things to be done. The catholic church doesn't do anything the bible says there suppose to do, nothing. Wake up and realize the catholic church is a false doctrine.
~~~
YOU WROTE

"the true church which is the Church of Christ, which was established in the year 33AD on the day of Pentecost when Peter was preaching and the people wanted to know what they needed to do to be saved and Peter told them, repent and be baptized. That day God added 3,000 souls to the Church of Christ which Jesus said he would build. Matthew 16;18, Acts 2 37-38, Mark 16;16, Romans 16;16 "

WHILE SOME BELIEVE THE CHURCH WAS BIRTH AT PENTECOST...

I BEG TO DIFFER WITH YOU..

I BELIEVE THE CHURCH (UNDER THE GRACE DISPENSATION ..

Was birth through the (TRAVAIL)

sufferings, CRUCIFIXION DEATH OF CHRIST JESUS OUR LORD AND SAVIOR

THE CHURCH CAME FORTH IN HIS resurrection and WILL FOLLOW HIM SOON IN

HIS ascension WHEN HE RETURNS TO CATCH HIS BRIDE AWAY...

THE BIBLE SAYS

Eph_5:25 Husbands, love your wives,

-->even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; <--
Liam

Detroit, MI

#488007 Nov 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay,
Sin is disobedience to God's law.....
How can an infant/child commit disobedience to God's law?
Does an infant/child know the difference between right and wrong, Clay?
Then if you are going by the Bible alone and only the Bible, you have to conclude that Jesus sinned.
"All have sinned"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min MUQ2 281,255
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Thinking 48,751
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 53 min Toby 105,619
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr The Hangman 971,685
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 44,686
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 1 hr DebraE 14
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr MUQ2 387
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 2 hr WasteWater 2,062
More from around the web