Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 555,073
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#484908 Oct 25, 2013
In the runaway # 1 British Bestseller,“Eats, Shoots & Leaves,” the subject of the book is about the importance of correct punctuation in the English language. The author, Lynne Truss, did extensive study into the history of punctuation. Lynne mixes humor with serious assessments of history and some of the following is from her book.

“Of course, if Hebrew or any of the ancient languages had included punctuation (in the case of Hebrew, a few vowels might have been nice as well), two thousand years of scriptural exegesis (my note- exegesis-analysis of texts) need never have occurred, and a lot of clever, dandruffy people could definitely have spent more time in the fresh air. But there was no punctuation in those ancient texts and that’s all there is to it. For a considerable period in Latin transcriptions there were no gaps between words either, if you can credit such madness. Texts from that benighted classical period- just capital letters in big square blocks- look to modern eyes like those word-search puzzles that you stare at for twenty minutes or so, and then (with a delighted cry) suddenly spot the word “PAPERNAPKIN” spelled diagonally and backwards. However, the scriptio continua system (as it was called) had its defenders at the time. One fifth-century recluse called Cassian argued that if a text was slow to offer up its meaning, this encouraged not only meditation but the glorification of God- the heart lifting in praise, obviously, at the moment when the word “PAPERNAPKIN” suddenly floated to the surface, like a synaptic miracle.”

Terrace, Canada

#484909 Oct 25, 2013
Punctuation can be very tricky.

“Thou shalt not lie: with mankind, as with womankind, it is abomination.”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#484910 Oct 25, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Aramaic was the main language , so it was written in Aramaic.
you are wrong. if you were from say Nazareth, you would speak Syriac. know your facts before you speak.lol
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#484911 Oct 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I just posted I do not know what language ..or the meaning of individual words .
I believe Matthew,wrote it ..others,COUKD have written
As they wAtched the fulfillment of their scripture
Coming true before their eyes ...
I'd be surprised if they didn't ...
Why do you believe St. Matthew wrote it, there's nothing in it that says he did?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#484912 Oct 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The bibles are written in English and because Catholics and Protestants disagree on the meaning of what was written ... it might as well be written in the ape-like language of the hairy men that lived in caves.
Catholics have their own interpretations, Protestants their interpretations, and Jews their own interpretations.

How can a group of books be classified non-fiction, if we can't have agreement of all the meanings?

BUSTED!
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#484913 Oct 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not as knowledgeable on these,things .I don't know EHAT means,what in what language.
But as,a tax collector ..wouldn't he have correspondence with the,Romans ..
?

What language were the Romans speaking?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#484914 Oct 25, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course both Catholics and Protestants believe and worship in the same Jesus. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ. The difference is that Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church believes, adheres to, and accepts the FULLNESS of the FAITH and the FULLNESS of the TRUTH that has existed for over 2000 years, initiated by Jesus Christ HIMSELF as the WORD made Flesh---the TRUE WORD OF GOD! At the Protestant Reformation--(beginning with Luther)--then Zwingli, Wycliff, Waldo, Hus, Calvin, Viret, Cpito, Knox, Cranmer and on and on (each one) rejected, threw out, and discarded one or more of the TRUE TEACHINGS of Jesus Christ (the WORD OF GOD that had been grounded in the first 1500 years of OUR LORDS TRUE (Universal Catholic) CHURCH!!! Today, there are over 42,000 bible only "relative opinionated (so-called truths) that have the Protestant "fundies" in total "disarray, contradiction, confusion and chaos (all arguing, and fighting) among themselves, each one claiming, "I have the truth, listen to me. listen to me"!!! It is called "half-truth (if that) half-heresy Christianity!---------Been there, done that for over 35 years as a bible only "duped" Protestant!!...... It is nothing but a "man-made, editorialized (hodge-podge) of bible verse quoting that is totally divided based upon inconsistency and conflicting personal opinions. THEY CAN HAVE IT!!! IT IS ALL THEIRS!!! I/we as Catholics will continue to follow the TRUE WORD OF GOD, and the TRUE TEACHINGS Jesus Christ at Daily Mass, the Eucharist (the TRUE BODY and BLOOD of Christ, the TRUE interpretation of the Bible, the Sacraments, confession(reconcilation) and the 24 hours Adoration Pray chapel with the Blessed Sacrament in the FULLNESS of the FAITH and the TRUTH. You bible only "fundies" can go worship God--in your OWN WAY do what you want!!!!! We as Catholics will CONTINUE to worship God in HIS WAY, in and through His One True Catholic Church!!!
Do you really think anyone cares what you believe?

No one reads your posts, we just give you negative judgies.

“Let the Children”

Since: Aug 08

Come To Me

#484915 Oct 25, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no clue on who is saved and who is not.
So please stop thinking you can make these claims.
You are one of those misleading others.
I sais,non believers,.

Have no idea,who is or is,not saved .

However unless,I'm mistaken ..You commented
On the authenticity of bible scripture
Based on what He,said ..they did not write because,Jesus
Did not tell them to. I asked who wrote them then .

You said something ..not sure to tell affect that the apostles
Did NOT write them

I'm not misleading anyone ..I want find out why he said it twice .

I can ask ..he can or Not Answer.

And yes I am surprised he said it . Twice ..as,I don't really
Think.he dies not believe they wrote them ..or that his,church
Teaches that ....
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#484916 Oct 25, 2013
Atheist wrote:
Why in this day and age people choose to believe in the supernatural and worship a never seen,(not so merciful) deity, is beyond me.
Its the FEAR that is instilled into them from childhood. Fear that if they do not do certain things bad things will happen to them. I never believed that and my life couldn't be better.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#484917 Oct 25, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics have their own interpretations, Protestants their interpretations, and Jews their own interpretations.
How can a group of books be classified non-fiction, if we can't have agreement of all the meanings?
BUSTED!
the Jews believe in only the OT, while the Christians believe in all of it, and the catholics don't believe in any of it.

“Let the Children”

Come To Me

#484918 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't "deflect". In fact, I am pretty direct in my conversations.
FYI - as far as I know, Thomas wasn't "Gnostic" - he was a Jewish Apostle of Jesus. Are you now calling Jesus "Gnostic"?
Maybe you should. It would definitely be a step in the right direction of what he actually taught to his Apostles.
If you aren't going to read my posts, why should I even post my beliefs - besides the point it would be off-topic?
Yes we do disagree on alot.
But we also agree on some things - like this one - I'm part of the "Church" that you belong to.
I WAS READING FROM THE LINK.YOU GAVE ....

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm

doesn't it say Gnostic .

never mind ...You just want to argue

Was trying to figure out what you've been talking about .

And you post something ...then say SONETHING else .

Have fun..not playing

Terrace, Canada

#484919 Oct 25, 2013
Because of men USING words in what they valued as "holy" books ... homosexuals were tortured and murdered for many centuries by those in religion.

I hope the human brutes that carried out "god's "supposed will" don't have to pay for their crimes.

After all ... we all suffer from ignorance and arrogance, as it seems that human nature has no way of getting beyond the ignorance and the arrogance.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#484920 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Citation please. Just don't say it - show it.
"Matthew also issued a written Gospel among the Hebrews in their own dialect, while Peter and Paul were preaching in Rome and laying the foundation of the Church. After their departure, Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, did also hand down to us in writing what had been preached by Peter. Luke also, the companion of Paul, recorded in a book the Gospel preached by him. Afterwards John, the disciple of the Lord, who also had leaned upon his breast, did himself publish a Gospel during his residence at Ephesus in Asia.(Against Heresies 3:1:1). St. Irenaeus AD 180

Fifty years earlier Papias, bishop of Hieropolis in Asia Minor, wrote, "Matthew compiled the sayings [of the Lord] in the Aramaic language, and everyone translated them as well as he could" (Explanation of the Sayings of the Lord [cited by Eusebius in History of the Church 3:39]).

Sometime after 244 the Scripture scholar Origen wrote, "Among the four Gospels, which are the only indisputable ones in the Church of God under heaven, I have learned by tradition that the first was written by Matthew, who was once a publican, but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, and it was prepared for the converts from Judaism and published in the Hebrew language" (Commentaries on Matthew [cited by Eusebius in History of the Church 6:25]).

Eusebius himself declared that "Matthew had begun by preaching to the Hebrews, and when he made up his mind to go to others too, he committed his own Gospel to writing in his native tongue [Aramaic], so that for those with whom he was no longer present the gap left by his departure was filled by what he wrote" (History of the Church 3:24 [inter 300-325]).

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#484921 Oct 25, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
AS FAR AS PROPHECIES ARE CONCERNED...
THERE ARE NONE THAT ACTUALLY NEED TO BE FULFILLED BEFORE
THE COMING OF CHRIST..
THIS IS THE ONLY THAT HAS NOT TAKEN PLACE ..
Mat_24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom
shall be preached
in all the world for a witness
unto all nations; and
then shall the end come.
None???

Not all nations hate the apostles for the sake of the name Jesus.

The gospel of the kingdom has not been preached in all the world.

The abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet has not been seen.

The great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be, has not happened.

The sun has not been darkened, nor has the moon stopped giving her light.

The stars have not fallen from heaven.

The powers of the heavens have not been shaken.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#484922 Oct 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
"Bless me Father, for I have sinned."
"What sin against God did you commit now my son?"
"Well Father, you know from my last confession how I was concerned about my wife's health. The doctor says that that if she has another baby, she will probably die."
"Yes my son, I am aware that after bearing twelve babies for the church, that she is not well, but what is your sin?"
"Because I don't want to take a chance on my wife dying and leaving me to raise the children on my own, we have started as a form of birth control having anal sex."
"OH MY GOODNESS! We must get down on our hands and knees for this prayer to ask our heavenly Father's forgiveness."
"Yes Father. From now on I will obey God's will and only have sex for procreation."
"Bless you my son."
Just think of all the catholics on this forum who told their spouses after their last child was born. NO MORE SEX FOR YOU!

My doctor says we think about sex many times a day. Again, too bad for the catholics, who MUST do what they are told.

“Let the Children”

Come To Me

#484923 Oct 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Thought the Empire spoke Greek..But really don't know for sure ..

However he could have known more than one language ..written in both ..been translated ???

Anthony

I was not getting into the ROCK argument ..he COUKD have written in both languages ...

He,wrote ..whenever it was ...during and/or after Jesus ascended ..
While he was preaching ...on a sabbatical ..He wrote ..
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#484924 Oct 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The bibles are written in English and because Catholics and Protestants disagree on the meaning of what was written ... it might as well be written in the ape-like language of the hairy men that lived in caves.
Probably more applicable to people who read the English translation while ignoring the interpretations of those who were taught by the ones who wrote and preached it.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#484925 Oct 25, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good gravy Clay...
So if a born again Christian has a co-worker and that co-worker asked how do I get to Heaven, does the born again Christian have the keys...another words do they know how to get there???
The authority is giving to all Christians because of what Christ did. He is the foundation of the Church.
Look at what your church has done to you...
I am very impressed, Chuck....

You noticed that I called you Chuck....

“Let the Children”

Come To Me

#484926 Oct 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the...

But they might have used Aramaic in Judea ..as well as the Greek or Latin.

He,as tax collector ..made official records ..
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#484927 Oct 25, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>the Jews believe in only the OT, while the Christians believe in all of it, and the catholics don't believe in any of it.
You know what? I say you are all wrong, and I am not afraid to say so.

I need evidence to make something true. When 3 groups who all use the so called EXACT SAME INSPIRED words of God all disagree with its meanings tells you what?.........its BUSTED!

Believe what you want, I don't live by FEAR.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Rick in Kansas 263,621
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min Dally Mama 765,100
Gays play a very important role here on Earth 28 min Doctor REALITY 3
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 34 min a fan 4,418
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 38 min Liam R 441,615
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 56 min bad bob 175,048
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 59 min flbadcatowner 39,167
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 59 min lil whispers 603,702
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 7 hr Ayyan 1,187
Why do BLACK People hate Mexicans so much? (Dec '13) 13 hr truth 932

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE