Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 695512 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#483633 Oct 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the mystery of the word "Word???"
Notice the capital in the word 'Word'.....
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God."
What does the 'Word' stand for???
It stands for 'Divine Being.'
Now, do you see it now???
There are TWO distinct beings here....
Now, I will let you figure out the rest of the story.
INTRODUCTION TO JOHN CHAPTER 1

The scope and design of this chapter is to confirm our faith in Christ as the eternal Son of God, and the true Messiah and Saviour of the world, that we may be brought to receive him, and rely upon him, as our Prophet, Priest, and King, and to give up ourselves to be ruled, and taught, and saved by him.

NABre:
*[1:1] In the beginning: also the first words of the Old Testament (Gn 1:1). Was: this verb is used three times with different meanings in this verse: existence, relationship, and predication. The Word (Greek logos): this term combines God’s dynamic, creative word (Genesis), personified preexistent Wisdom as the instrument of God’s creative activity (Proverbs), and the ultimate intelligibility of reality (Hellenistic philosophy). With God: the Greek preposition here connotes communication with another. Was God: lack of a definite article with “God” in Greek signifies predication rather than identification.

And God said: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

I firmly, without any doubt, none, believe God....

Catholic encyclopedia: Jesus Christ, the Son of God, redeemer of the Human Race....

SBC: Jesus Christ the Son of God....

What mystery???!!!!
Liam

Garden City, MI

#483634 Oct 20, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
God has no religion. Religions are all man made, from the first time man evolved and worshipped things in nature. Man has been living in FEAR of the unknown from the beginning.
God and gods have come and gone. 2,000 years of christianity is not a long time in our history. One day it too will be replaced by something else as we continue to evolve.
Just 55 years ago when I was a youngster I remember the catholic church our family belonged to had 4 masses on sunday and had 3 priests in the parish. Today one sunday mass, NO parish priest.
Change comes and goes. Religions are no exceptions.
While your old parish shrunk, other parishes throughout the world multiplied ten fold. The change in you Parish reflects a new materialistic secular world that much of Europe and Canada has embraced. Now, it'll probably take a famine to wake everyone up. Sadly.
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#483635 Oct 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Tango Bravo"<quoted text>
Thanks for responding. I believe I understand your answer, but I'm not clear on a few things.
Is it enough that writings additional to the Bible agree completely with what is found in the Bible, or is it only necessary that they not disagree with what is found in the Bible?
With whom does Sola Scriptura originate? Is it Biblical or is it a teaching of men?
What is the meaning of "confrinting"?
Thanks.
----------
They should not disagree with what is found in the Bible. That covers the whole question.
Not sure about the origin of Sola Scripture, but the Bible is very specific in all things that there must be two witnesses to any event. It speaks of scripture in the same manner; one prophet likened it to each bird having its own mate. One could not establish a thing in court unless they had two witnesses.
I cannot think of anything that is not covered in the Bible. When Jesus was tempted by the devil, He replied simply, "It is written."
My husband started out with 'Confronting with the Word'. One day he had a typo (i) and it became 'confrinting', so he just left it that way.
KayMarie
KayMarie,

Still more questions. Sorry.

I take it, then, that Sola Scriptura is a teaching of men rather than a teaching of God? Does anyone on the forum know who is the originator if it isn't found in the Bible?

Does that "two witnesses" thing extend to the Bible? Does something in the Bible only carry weight if it appears twice? I know people who say the Bible includes many conflicting sayings. How do you suggest a reader address conflicts if he finds them?

Location hidden

#483636 Oct 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.......defective Bible.....
Then I guess you are saying that Jesus is defective as Jesus is the Word of God.....
God the Father and another person called the Word....
And, they both existed in the beginning.
I wonder WHO the Word is!
Prate on!!!!

Your prating proves my words: You have been sold a defective Bible...it contradicts itself...get a refund...

Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Equal: isos,(through the idea of seeming); similar (in amount and kind):--+ agree, as much, equal, like.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#483637 Oct 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
YES, I questioned my Protestant faith and (left it) to become a Catholic, in the FULLNESS of the faith and the TRUTH (as I see it)!! My Protestant (brothers and sisters in Christ) respect my decision and don't "attack" my Catholic Faith. We can converse "harmoniously" with the same respect that each of us have, as we grow in our faith in Jesus Christ from "where we a led and where we are planted"!
NOT SO with this group of anti-catholic "fundies" on this forum, beginning with Confrinting, Oxbow, justachristian, New Age and the rest of them..... I personally believe"all" bible only Protestants to be Christian, however----their opinion of us Catholics is that we are NOT Christian and that the Catholic Church is from Satan!! If think for one minute I am going to "sit idly and passively" by and listen to these anti-catholic (bigoted) BS'ers rip the Catholic Church and attack our Personal faith in Jesus Christ----you Michael are "sadly mistaken!!
I personally believed many true CHRISTIANS ..including clergy are Catholic ..And I'm glad o hear what you say about your former friends .
And their faith being real

I believe the Holy Spirit finds us where we are and uses whatever He chooses to call us to true faith .

My disillusion with what I knew of the RCC has come from this forum .

The attitudes,of some....in personal insults...And the total
Disbelief in anything about the CHURCH..ITS,changes its,history in the middle ages,.

You guys can't help what your Church did but denial and calling people bigots ????when your own POPES have apologized ..is,absurd .

Then the tendency to put down scripture ..its not enough unless,a priest tells us what it says??

The apostles were not told to write ???so they didn't ???

The Scriptures belong to you ..instead if they are GODS,WORD to us all .
And the evolution thing ...But thats what you are NOW taught ..I WAS,NOT ..And I'm called a,list for saying that !!!

So see ..I don't hate your Church ..I'm not a,bigot ...But the attitude from some here ..dies not do justice to the fine people I know who are CATHOLic ..And the fine work the Church Does,.

I have never heard one word from a non Catholics
sermon about the RCC ''

My faith depends,on my relationship with my Saviour...not what you or other folks do ....
Liam

Garden City, MI

#483638 Oct 20, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
God has no religion. Religions are all man made, from the first time man evolved and worshipped things in nature. Man has been living in FEAR of the unknown from the beginning.
God and gods have come and gone. 2,000 years of christianity is not a long time in our history. One day it too will be replaced by something else as we continue to evolve.
Just 55 years ago when I was a youngster I remember the catholic church our family belonged to had 4 masses on sunday and had 3 priests in the parish. Today one sunday mass, NO parish priest.
Change comes and goes. Religions are no exceptions.
Btw Thomas, I don't believe fear brings people to Christianity, but fear is definitely behind your reasons for lashing out at the Catholic Church. If your former church wasn't a thorn in your conscience, you would bother coming on here would ya?
I'm telling you, atheist are not secure in their belief. That's why they are arrogant pricks and they lash out at something that's supposedly isn't real.

Location hidden

#483639 Oct 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The Trinity is considered to be a mystery of Christian faith.
Where is live, that is not a mystery...God Almighty is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

You cannot express the Holy Trinity showing God is Christ nor that Christ is God..but, I can show the Holy Trinity showing Christ is the incarnate son of God!!!!

God Almighty is the Father, the incarnate Son of God, the Holy Spirit...

Catholic encyclopedia: Jesus Christ the incarnate Son of God redeemer of the Human Race..

SBC: Jesus Christ Son of God...

Location hidden

#483640 Oct 20, 2013
oops...Where I live...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#483641 Oct 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
YES, I questioned my Protestant faith and (left it) to become a Catholic, in the FULLNESS of the faith and the TRUTH (as I see it)!! My Protestant (brothers and sisters in Christ) respect my decision and don't "attack" my Catholic Faith. We can converse "harmoniously" with the same respect that each of us have, as we grow in our faith in Jesus Christ from "where we a led and where we are planted"!
NOT SO with this group of anti-catholic "fundies" on this forum, beginning with Confrinting, Oxbow, justachristian, New Age and the rest of them..... I personally believe"all" bible only Protestants to be Christian, however----their opinion of us Catholics is that we are NOT Christian and that the Catholic Church is from Satan!! If think for one minute I am going to "sit idly and passively" by and listen to these anti-catholic (bigoted) BS'ers rip the Catholic Church and attack our Personal faith in Jesus Christ----you Michael are "sadly mistaken!!
I don't think it has anything to do with this "satan" character at all...others may, but I think it is simply more nonsense toward incredulity.
Let me ask you this...Do you think that the crusades and the inquisitions were fair and just according to the teachings of Jesus?

Location hidden

#483642 Oct 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
How arrogantly self centered, bigoted, and ignorant of you.
You show all the signs of that which you accuse me of.
Are there any other derogatory names you wish to call me son....you may as well get it all out if your system right up front, and show everyone just how ugly you really are as a person.
I bet your deity(the fallen angel) is proud of you for your behavior...you serve him well.
Your use of the word "god" tells me that your father is the devil...

Location hidden

#483643 Oct 20, 2013
Tango Bravo wrote:
<quoted text>
KayMarie,
Still more questions. Sorry.
I take it, then, that Sola Scriptura is a teaching of men rather than a teaching of God? Does anyone on the forum know who is the originator if it isn't found in the Bible?
Does that "two witnesses" thing extend to the Bible? Does something in the Bible only carry weight if it appears twice? I know people who say the Bible includes many conflicting sayings. How do you suggest a reader address conflicts if he finds them?
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Since the man of God is "thoroughly furnished" by all scripture, inspired of God, unto good works....what else is necessary????!!!!

How can he be more "thoroughly furnished"????!!!!

thoroughly: completely

Location hidden

#483644 Oct 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Your use of the word "god" tells me that your father is the devil...
Your writings tell me you are the devil(evil) incarnate.
You are the opposite of everything that Jesus ever taught.
Congratulations on showing it so well to everyone son.
Your father will be proud of you.
Carry on...

Location hidden

#483645 Oct 20, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
My Bible says in Luke 1:28 "Hail Mary, full of Grace".
Your KJV doesn't. Do you have any leaflets to explain this problem? I already know the truth, but I want to read the fundie explanation.
Clay...

NAB:
And coming to her, he said, "Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you."

NABre: And coming to her, he said, "Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you."

Douay-Rheims: And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

Which version of the Catholic Bible are you reading???

Location hidden

#483647 Oct 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your writings tell me you are the devil(evil) incarnate.
You are the opposite of everything that Jesus ever taught.
Congratulations on showing it so well to everyone son.
Your father will be proud of you.
Carry on...
I did not refer to God Almighty as "god"...you did...your father is the devil..

Location hidden

#483648 Oct 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not refer to God Almighty as "god"...you did...your father is the devil..
Carry on ... It satisfies your hatred doesn't it bigot.
It just kills you that someone else may consider your deity lesser than the ALL doesn't it?
No...I do NOT believe in your deity, nor do I believe it is omnipotent by the very words in your book(written by men).
It is no wonder you christers fight like cats and dogs over nonsensical privy. One only needs to read your books to see why.
Are you going to have a "special" inquisition for me to satisfy your hatred?...or wasn't killing off most of my family(tree) enough for you?
Humans the like of you make me want to VOMIT!

Location hidden

#483649 Oct 20, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Catholic religion was founded by Christ for the bible tells me so!
Horsefeathers!!!!

The Catholic denomination is the largest in the USA..Christ built no such...

Proof from Scripture...none of the seven churches He referred to in Rev were Catholic....because they did not exist!!!!

Location hidden

#483650 Oct 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Carry on ... It satisfies your hatred doesn't it bigot.
It just kills you that someone else may consider your deity lesser than the ALL doesn't it?
No...I do NOT believe in your deity, nor do I believe it is omnipotent by the very words in your book(written by men).
It is no wonder you christers fight like cats and dogs over nonsensical privy. One only needs to read your books to see why.
Are you going to have a "special" inquisition for me to satisfy your hatred?...or wasn't killing off most of my family(tree) enough for you?
Humans the like of you make me want to VOMIT!
Spoken like the true son of the devil....

I would lay odds that you have at least one uncle that was a monkey...

Location hidden

#483651 Oct 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are showing the limitations of your mental intellect.

Like I said...show everyone here your hatred and bigotry, and how opposite you are to Jesus teachings...you are doing a terrific job.

Carry on bigot.
Michael

Canada

#483652 Oct 20, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
While your old parish shrunk, other parishes throughout the world multiplied ten fold. The change in you Parish reflects a new materialistic secular world that much of Europe and Canada has embraced. Now, it'll probably take a famine to wake everyone up. Sadly.
Worldwide there might be more catholics (mostly because of family indoctrination) but the most important factor is that fewer catholics today are practicing their faith.

Catholicism today is growing quickly in poor uneducated continents like Africa/Asia, but in the western world practicing catholics is disappearing.

1965 there were 180,000 nuns in america.

2012 less than 57,000 nuns in america (average age 70)

1965 48,000 priests in america.

2012 37,500 priests in america and MOST new priests in america are imported from other countries.

Yes, catholicism is growing in far away places where education is limited but is dropping in educated countries especially western europe, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland etc.

I am not knocking any religion, but just bring information.
Michael

Canada

#483653 Oct 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
More insults and name calling. Doesn't sound very christian to me, but you do fit the pattern of many of the posters on this forum.

Why do you get so upset when someone calls you out? Do you react the same way at work?

What happened to "love thy neighbor as thy self" what about "we forgive those that trespass against us"

UNBELIEVABLE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr MOGADORE 994,029
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 hr MKULTRA 59,649
Why did O.J. criminal trial jurors IGNORE cuts ... 3 hr Doctor REALITY 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr Crazy Horse 619,877
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr Crazy Horse 446,253
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 7 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,497
Marco Rubio Could Beat Trump in 2020 8 hr razz58 7
wierd situation with my mom. (Jul '14) Mon Pimpy 23
More from around the web