Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683583 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#483434 Oct 19, 2013
who="Anthony MN" <quoted text>
The issue I have with her post is that she doesn't realize who the "biblical scholars" were and what their beliefs were....

----------
The scribes and publicans were 'biblical (scriptural) scholars.' I know the difference in the scribes and publicans of today, and the repentant sinners whom Jesus receives.

KayMarie

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#483435 Oct 19, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
She read the Bible and determined that Herm and Sera are idolators for having icons during worship, praying for the dead, and believing in the Eucharist (although I don't recall her saying anything about the last one). She felt it was her duty as a Christian, to 'save them'.
I know you don't like to acknowledge this: but you have no business correcting her or oldjg. Under sola scripture, all authority is determined by the reader, not you.
You are so caught up in Catechisms, rules, edicts, and declarations and winning an argument that you miss Jesus and Christianity when it walks in front of you.Cite all the words you want,a man was dying and his wife was grieving. Preston saw someone being cruel at their time of weakness and told the person to back off. They were hurting these 2 at their most painful time. Remember: "how you have treated to least of these"

Location hidden

#483436 Oct 19, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen Nick ..I for one see you both as my brother and sister in Christ .
same here Sis

#483437 Oct 19, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no mystery of Christ...you are grasping at straw...

----------
Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483438 Oct 19, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"<quoted text>
Again, thanks for your opinion. St. Paul was writing to St. Timothy, an ordained Bishop in the Catholic Church (he wasn't writing to you), and he was referring to the OT, not the NT, as it had yet to be written. Sadly the divisions in protestantism, where competing denominations all say they are led by the Holy Spirit, prove that your opinions are no more authoritative than anyone one else. For the umpteenth time confrint, what is your authority? How can anyone know you speak for God when a competing protestant community down the street who disagrees with you also claims to be led by the Holy Spirit?
----------
That one is easy, Anthony. Just know and use your Bible; keep up your prayer life, and judge that community down the street by the way they follow Him. If they are hot-headed gossips, unkind, dishonest or adulterers, they are suspect. But if they name the name of Jesus, we should strive to be at peace with them, and "come, let us reason together, saith the Lord." (Isaiah)
One of us might learn something...
KayMarie
Let me propose something to you Kay. Let's say I find your husband to be a hot-headed, unkind and dishonest gossip. I happen to be acquainted with a non-denominational protestant pastor who utilizes the services in my business very frequently, he also brings many of his congregants in too. We have a great relationship and occasionally discuss theological points (he knows I'm Catholic), but never an unkind word. There are dozens of competing protestant denominations in my town. I don't know any of them to be as you describe. How do you suggest I view these two very opposite experiences?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483439 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Hank, are your services strictly bible reading or do your pastors ever expound on the meaning scripture?
This is the verdict: Light (Jesus - Word of God) has come into the world, but men loved darkness (SIN) instead of light (Jesus -Word of God) because their deeds (SIN) were evil.” Despite this, the darkness (SIN) has not overcome the light (Jesus - Word of God.)

Jesus (the Word) was God.

Psalm 119:140

140 Thy word (Jesus) is very pure: therefore thy servant (Christians) loveth it.

John 19:4

4 Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews gathered there,“Look, I am bringing him out to you to let you know that I find NO basis for a charge against him.”

John 19:6

6 As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw him, they shouted,“Crucify! Crucify!”

But Pilate answered,“You take him and crucify him. As for me, I find NO basis for a charge against him.”

And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.

But you do not have His word (JESUS) abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.

Jesus - the Word of God!

Why would you need anything else, Anthony???

Location hidden

#483440 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I make an effort not to showboat my spiritual life on this board for many reasons which I won't share with you now. I believe Nick knows what I did when I became aware of his illness and I made it known to him in a manner that probably escaped most of you. The "fruits" we show here are meaningless since none of us truly know what others do in their daily lives way from this forum. That's why you will never see me or most other Catholic Christians judging another professed Christian based on comments here as to whether one is a Christian or not.
Afterwards Anthony saisd he regretted not knowing how sick I was and prayed for my health.

#483441 Oct 19, 2013
Why do sincere Christians who prayerfully study scripture come to opposing conclusions?

----------
Ignorance...what we have not learned.

Or the thief comes to steal the Word (seed) that has fallen on a hard path, in stony places, or in weeds that steal its strength.

Prayer, study, and a sweet forgiving spirit will open the door for the Spirit to teach us.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483442 Oct 19, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Anthony.Whether it is a Father or a more modern exponent,I check each source individually .
The bottom line: is it Biblical and how clear are the verses cited.In Origen's case, for example.Some of his interpretations were solid. Others were his speculation.Each has its own degree of Biblical verification.
The error many make is assuming that the writings of all the Fathers have little Biblical consistency.'To the contrary Dalyrmple once said that 46% of the verses in the NT could be reconstructed from the writings of the church fathers (3620), meaning 54%.
Some of the blame rests with us in the stigma attached to quoting the fathers. Some perceive this as we are taking the word of man over the Word of God.There would have been a better way to dialogue re this in the beginning but I fear too much water has passed under the bridge.
I fear that too. There were quite different posters here a few years ago and we did in fact have very informative exchanges. I'd love to get back to that. My point about Kay's comment was that she, probably unintentionally, confirmed what we've been saying all along about how the canon of scripture came to be.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483443 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church existed before the NT was written. You need an authority to interpret difficult passages and settle doctrinal differences. If everyone decides thier own doctrines when they read the bible you get anarchy and thousands of competing denominations. That's not what Christ established.
Anthony,

There are no difficult passages....if you have doctrinal differences that is what the Elders are there for....

Ephesians 5:26

26 to make her (BODY OF CHRIST, BODY OF BELIEVERS) holy, cleansing her (BODY OF CHRIST, BODY OF BELIEVERS) by the washing with water through the word,(JESUS - WORD OF GOD)

Doesn't the Bible describe a cleansing by the Word of God???

Revelation 19:13

13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

VERY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND SCRIPTURES!!!

Location hidden

#483444 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I fear that too. There were quite different posters here a few years ago and we did in fact have very informative exchanges. I'd love to get back to that. My point about Kay's comment was that she, probably unintentionally, confirmed what we've been saying all along about how the canon of scripture came to be.
I would like to get that kind of dialogue with you but I get thrown off track many times. Maybe partly my fault. I said maybe. Also I have strong feelings about your posts to Preston. He is a good man. He helped me. He did a Christian act.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#483445 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I make an effort not to showboat my spiritual life on this board for many reasons which I won't share with you now. I believe Nick knows what I did when I became aware of his illness and I made it known to him in a manner that probably escaped most of you. The "fruits" we show here are meaningless since none of us truly know what others do in their daily lives way from this forum. That's why you will never see me or most other Catholic Christians judging another professed Christian based on comments here as to whether one is a Christian or not.
sorry Anthony but I have to bring to your attention that we were criticized for reading the Bible together and were told we were not orthodox.I do hope that we can put aside any hard feelings and do the right thing and respect each other.You are correct in saying that no one knows what each one of us do in our own personal life away from this forum. That being protestand,orthodox or catholic...we would all be shocked if we really knew the good deeds and the bad from other people.No ones perfect and no fingers should ever be pointed unless we are..

Location hidden

#483446 Oct 19, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that Sacred Scripture and Tradition (together) is the Word of God. "Verbum Dei". The Bible "never says anywhere" that the Bible alone (Sola Scriptura) is the word of God, if fact the Bible says just the opposite. Paul says that we must obey Tradition (the unwritten oral word) as well as the written. For over 1600 years this has been a Biblical Teaching of Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church,(that is until) the Protestant Reformation when a group of contradicting and inconsistent Protestant Reformers, totaling more than 48 radical (Prodigal Son) "self-interpreting" anti-catholic bible only "buffoons" beginning with Luther, began to "make things up"!! Sola Scriptura was never believed by ANYONE until the 17th century. It is a "man-made doctrine" of "personal opinionated" (half-truth, half-heresy" Christianity that has absolutely no basis of ANY biblical or historical truth!!!
I would say that Scripture is Biblical!!!!

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Since the man of God is "thoroughly furnished" by all scripture, inspired of God, unto good works....what else is necessary????!!!!

How can he be more "thoroughly furnished"????!!!!

thoroughly: completely

Location hidden

#483447 Oct 19, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that Sacred Scripture and Tradition (together) is the Word of God. "Verbum Dei". The Bible "never says anywhere" that the Bible alone (Sola Scriptura) is the word of God, if fact the Bible says just the opposite. Paul says that we must obey Tradition (the unwritten oral word) as well as the written. For over 1600 years this has been a Biblical Teaching of Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church,(that is until) the Protestant Reformation when a group of contradicting and inconsistent Protestant Reformers, totaling more than 48 radical (Prodigal Son) "self-interpreting" anti-catholic bible only "buffoons" beginning with Luther, began to "make things up"!! Sola Scriptura was never believed by ANYONE until the 17th century. It is a "man-made doctrine" of "personal opinionated" (half-truth, half-heresy" Christianity that has absolutely no basis of ANY biblical or historical truth!!!
2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

tradition: a precept; specially, the Jewish traditionary law:--ordinance, tradition.

I know of no Catholics that follow the Jewish traditionary law...
marge

Leesburg, GA

#483448 Oct 19, 2013
<quoted text>Anthony. Sorry but to me this makes no sense.Marge attacks when she is to show Christian compassion. Yet this action is separated from her Christianity. n other words, her Christianity need not be shown in her actions.As for declaring people Christian or not I have had people, including yourself saying I am not Orthodox.Every time I move toward giving you the benefit of the doubt I end up questioning myself.
I'm sorry you feel that way Hermi, I prayed for you when you first got sick and prayed again when I was told you needed it, then I heard they found some medicine and your feeling better.

I don't know how many stories I've heard from India where they pray to their little gods and idols to help them with their sicknesses and sufferings and nothing happens till they find Jesus and pray to God in His name alone.

It was just a suggestion.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483449 Oct 19, 2013
<quoted text>Anthony. Sorry but to me this makes no sense.Marge attacks when she is to show Christian compassion. Yet this action is separated from her Christianity. n other words, her Christianity need not be shown in her actions.As for declaring people Christian or not I have had people, including yourself saying I am not Orthodox.Every time I move toward giving you the benefit of the doubt I end up questioning myself.
I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, and if I ever questioned whether you were an Orthodox Christian, I sincerely apologize. I am in no way excusing marge's behaviour, I think she has some serious issues. For all I know she could be posting from the compound in her hippie commune. My point with preston is his tendency to judge people when he really knows little about them.

#483450 Oct 19, 2013
who="Black Thunder 42"
Bo...they did not write the gospels...that is a commonly known fact among scholars.

----------
BT...can't you read? In John 21:20-24 John identifies himself as writer of that gospel.

Paul speaks of himself saying, "I Paul say unto you..." Gal. 5:2, and other places.

In I John I:1-3 John says he has seen, heard and handled Him.

Don't follow those scribes and publicans. READ THE BIBLE.

KayMarie
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483451 Oct 19, 2013
John 17:17

17 ~Sanctify~ them by the *truth;* your word (Jesus - Word of God) is truth.

If you say the Word of God is NOT sufficient....then, you are saying that Jesus is NOT sufficient to save us from the bondage of sin.

The Word of God provides us with everything that is needed for life and godliness.

Proverbs 30:5-6

5 “Every word of God is flawless;
<<<<<he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.>>>>>

6 Do not add to his words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483452 Oct 19, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
What do you say to a born again evangelical biblical scholar who says you're wrong in your opinions about the meaning of scripture? How should one view Preston's opinion of you and your discernment abilities?
----------
Blessed are the peacemakers!
You are an agitator, Anthony. Preston and Marge are big enough to handle this on their own. You don't need to put fuel on that fire.
KayMarie
Have you ever said "Blessed are the peacemakers!" to your husband? I'm really not interested in getting involved in marge and preston's personality conflict, I'm more interested finding out how a person knows who's right between two disagreeing people who prayerfully search the scriptures and claim to be led by the Holy Spirit.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#483453 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know why you don't showboat your spiritual life here, Anthony. I also try not to, but slip up occasionally and am always sorry afterward. I just recently mentioned something about communion to another Catholic here and was treated to a most insulting post by someone who calls himself a Christian comparing me to a former Nazi. The post was laughed at and agreed with.

You're wise to guard what you say here. It's unfortunate to have to do so, but it's prudent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min get it spelled right 15,516
O.J. Simpson is about to be a free man once again. 4 min George Justapose 12
Mohamed Noor: GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY 5 min Doctor REALITY 1
What did O.J. Simpson do with the murder weapon... 10 min George Justapose 12
Ryan Prince ♡ R.I.P. 18 min Piston 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 25 min Aerobatty 983,071
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 36 min waaasssuuup 619,687
More from around the web