Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658358 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483408 Oct 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
We all say our piece Anthony and we all back what we say with Scripture, it's up to every person individually to decide whether someone is speaking the truth or not.
Study to show 'yourself' approved.
So if preston says he speaks the truth about you and backs it up with scripture, and you disagree with him by using scripture, how does one know who's right? You both claim to be led by the Holy Spirit. If I read the scriptures you reference and decide he's right, how can I know for sure? What if my decision is wrong?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#483409 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you say to a born again evangelical biblical scholar who says you're wrong in your opinions about the meaning of scripture? How should one view Preston's opinion of you and your discernment abilities?
Anthony, you are taking her attitude and comparing it to her comprehension of the word of God. they are not what we are standing against(discernment) and you know that.

always, I have stood for Truth and what is right, this time has been no exception

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#483410 Oct 19, 2013
who="Black Thunder 42" <quoted text>
Those "writings" he was referring to (such as the book of Jasher) is not even included in the bible.
There is some good example of the deceit of corrupted "priests".

----------
What makes you think that He was referring to Jasher? He said,'scriptures'...not 'Jasher'. It might not even have been available to them.

HE said that the Holy Ghost would bring to their remembrance the things that He told them. So the Holy Ghost can also bring to our remembrance what He wishes us to know.

Don't refuse Him...
KayMarie
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483411 Oct 19, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no mystery of Christ...you are grasping at straw...
It pertains to the revelation of a mystery that for ages had been
hidden.

If you want to understand the mystery of Christ, you must read it.

Location hidden

#483412 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Serious question here preston; If I exchanged nice emails with you, offered prayers for your grandchildren, expressed gratitude for your biblical wisdom, etc., would you consider me a Christian even though I remained firm in my Catholic beliefs?
to be a Christian is to love people even if they are not of our beliefs. there is an old saying and it still is true today.

there will be people in heaven who people thought would never be there, and there will NOT be people make it to Heaven who many people thought would be there.

I am not persuaded if people think that my Knowledge of the Word of God is Superior or not, I am persuaded if they think that I live it, just as I am persuaded if I see others live what thus saith the Lord.it is difficult almost impossible for me to accept you, HOJO et al as Christians ,who ridicule those of us who believe the Word of God to be self sufficient in and of itself to enable us to lead and live a Holy Life. being a catholic, a protestant or orthodoxy will not Save One person on this forum, and that to me is what I consider, as I expressed that to John many, many times.

so lets take a closer look. John always said that if we didn't belong to the Orthodoxy, we were not Saved. Nick and Rose have Never said that to me. the catholic belief on this forum accentuates the very same train of thought as what John claimed.

while to the Protestants on here, we adhere to what Jesus says, "except a man/woman is Born Again, they shall not enter into Heaven". also the Bible says that if we don't love the Brethren, we don't love God, and further, if we love God, we will love the Brethren and Nick and Rose have showed Love.

what have you showed?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483413 Oct 19, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony, you are taking her attitude and comparing it to her comprehension of the word of God. they are not what we are standing against(discernment) and you know that.
always, I have stood for Truth and what is right, this time has been no exception
I have a problem with you and others making judgements as to whether someone is a Christian or not based on their behaviour here. For all we know, marge may be the most generous and giving person on the board.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483414 Oct 19, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Black Thunder 42" <quoted text>
Those "writings" he was referring to (such as the book of Jasher) is not even included in the bible.
There is some good example of the deceit of corrupted "priests".
----------
What makes you think that He was referring to Jasher? He said,'scriptures'...not 'Jasher'. It might not even have been available to them.
HE said that the Holy Ghost would bring to their remembrance the things that He told them. So the Holy Ghost can also bring to our remembrance what He wishes us to know.
Don't refuse Him...
KayMarie
Why do sincere Christians who prayerfully study scripture come to opposing conclusions?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483415 Oct 19, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
form: shape; figuratively, nature:--form.
So what does that have to do with the price of eggs in Cuba???
It just flew right over your head, Ox....

The Lordship of Jesus Christ is BUILT on this foundational truth: Jesus is God.

Long ago God spoke to the fathers by the prophets at different times and in different ways.

In these last days, He has spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things and through whom He made the universe.

He is the radiance of His glory, the exact expression of His nature, and He sustains all things by His powerful word.

After making purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Location hidden

#483416 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a problem with you and others making judgements as to whether someone is a Christian or not based on their behaviour here. For all we know, marge may be the most generous and giving person on the board.
by their fruits ye shall know them.

when the rest of us(Christians) were praying for the healing of Nick, and for God to give Rose the strength to be a caregiver.

she harassed them and harangued them all that she could, even when she was asked not to, but she continued and has not stopped.

sorry, you can mock me and call me names and say that I am judging her, and try and say the bible says not to judge, but it does give us the right to give a Righteous Judgement (going by what the Bible tells us to do), and by the Calling that God has given us, I have rebuked her in the name of the Lord. AMEN.

#483417 Oct 19, 2013
who="Anthony MN"<quoted text>
Again, thanks for your opinion. St. Paul was writing to St. Timothy, an ordained Bishop in the Catholic Church (he wasn't writing to you), and he was referring to the OT, not the NT, as it had yet to be written. Sadly the divisions in protestantism, where competing denominations all say they are led by the Holy Spirit, prove that your opinions are no more authoritative than anyone one else. For the umpteenth time confrint, what is your authority? How can anyone know you speak for God when a competing protestant community down the street who disagrees with you also claims to be led by the Holy Spirit?

----------
That one is easy, Anthony. Just know and use your Bible; keep up your prayer life, and judge that community down the street by the way they follow Him. If they are hot-headed gossips, unkind, dishonest or adulterers, they are suspect. But if they name the name of Jesus, we should strive to be at peace with them, and "come, let us reason together, saith the Lord." (Isaiah)

One of us might learn something...

KayMarie

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#483418 Oct 19, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever change the Catholic Church is going through (makes no difference) because it will "continue" as it has for over 2000 years to proclaim and teach the FULLNESS of the Faith and the FULLNESS of the TRUTH.(rebellious and defiant people can reject it, but that is there choice)..... Vatican II brought in "liberation theology" NOT from the Catholic Churches teaching, but because of small group of "emancipated Nuns, priests and laity (who decided on their own) to become defiant and rebellious catholic reformers----something like the 16th century reformation. This "contemptuous rebel" thinking is a (dying movement) that is "on its way out"........ It is just another chapter in the TRUE Church History that (for over 2000 years) has had to curtail and survive the heresies, rebel preachers, false teachers and distorted secular humanistic lies that have tried to "creep into" the TRUE Gospel Teachings of Jesus Christ and His Church...... The seminaries and convents today are "overflowing" with dedicated eclessiastical and faith-filled young priest and sisters that are dedicated to the TRUE TEACHINGS of the Catholic Faith, the Church, the Magisterium, the Pope, and the TRUE Interpretation of the Bible that was given to (all Christians) by the Early Church Fathers in 382,393, and 397 AD who gave us the Canon of Scripture. For those who (chose) to reject, deny and rebel against the TRUTH of the TRUE GOSPEL TEACHINGS Of Jesus Christ and His Catholic Church, they can go "down the street" to the nearest Protestant Church and let them tell them what they (want to) hear!!, i.e Abortion, gay marriage, euthenasia, homosexual ministers, embroyonic stem cell research, rejecting the Eucharist (Jesus' TRUE BODY AND BLOOD, woman minsters or whatever (next) that comes along--depending on which way the secular wind blows!!!
You were in I presume a bible believing Evangelical Church..

If you were in s Church such as you describe..in your post ..I don't

Wonder that onlooker else where ..

If not..You are selling non Catholics short ..way short .

Most are very conservative ..as you say your Church had liberals .

Catholics,For Choice ...one example .

The 45 percent eh o said they voted for this administration .

One if your posters votes third party she says,..guaranteeing a liberal.win..

So yrs some eh o call themselves,Christian CATH And non CATH are liberal ..

But a,higher percentage of Evangelicals voted in a Conservative manner .
Our actions...which Have grave consequences in he LIFE ZIG THE UNBORN ..show where our hearts are ...as Christians

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#483419 Oct 19, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So who wrote,John ..Peter ..Mark ..Matthe,
Are,we back to the,monk in the basement ..!!!!!
Seriously.
Yes they had training as,Jewish men .
They also may have had disciples,who acted as scribes,fir their letters,....for them ..umm.reorgalizing their words,.
But now your saying the apostles,,did,NOT write them .
All Johns,words are not His,...Well we,ars all on a,sinking ship ...And prey to every non believer on the planet ..
Bo...they did not write the gospels...that is a commonly known fact among scholars.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#483420 Oct 19, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Preston.I often think of my prayer friends here when I start to lose hope. Just so you know,if it cost you criticism, it does help me and Rose a lot.We will both have no fear of condemnation from those that judge, not from the heart but from pride. And we feel no need to defend ourselves to someone who will not listen.Jesus knows our heart. We will rest without fear in Christ Whose love for you and us and Whose mercy we will always trust.e want to know and be with Christ.We know He is always with us.We want to share in this relationship.If we are wrong in any of our veliefs or have offended Him in any way, we ask forgiveness and will trust in the Blood He shed for us.
Amen Nick ..I for one see you both as my brother and sister in Christ .

Location hidden

#483421 Oct 19, 2013
"Righteous Judgment"

Matthew 7:1-5

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother,'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Matthew 7:1-5

In our society of so called "tolerance," we are often struck with an opposition of people who cry that we have no right to judge them. In fact, I've even heard some go so far as to claim that "Jesus never judged people; He even taught that we are not to judge!" Strangely enough, they will quote Matthew 7:1 in attempts to convince others that Jesus has condemned all judging.

In the first two words of this passage, Jesus does tells us to "Judge not..." But these two words have been perverted and twisted to teach that when one calls the actions of another error and expresses that continuance in such ways will condemn the soul, that individual is judging, which is supposedly "condemned" in the Bible. But from the context of this passage, what judging is forbidden? Is it judging that makes a distinction between right and wrong? Is there never a time and place for seeing and reprimanding a fault?

If we take the view that judging is completely and totally forbidden, then that would make the doctrinal and moral purity of the church impossible to maintain. This would violate other teachings and divine examples that Christ has revealed in His word (see: Matthew 7:15; John 5:30; 7:24). It would commit us to neutrality and that is the very opposite of the stance Christ wants us to take.

What many fail to realize is that Jesus taught,(in the same context of instructing us to "judge not") that we are given the right and responsibility to make judgments in order to help our fellow man with their problem of sin, provided we have first "remove the plank from our own eye." Jesus expects you to be able to see clearly, so that you can "remove the speck from your brother's eye" (Matthew 7:5). So there are judgments to be made, within ourselves, and of others.

But then, what judging is the Lord telling us not to practice? In our text, Jesus is forbidding the judging that is for the purpose of putting down others to exalt one's self. It is the habit of finding fault in others when really there are more faults within yourself. How can you expect to help a person with a few transgressions when you are overwhelmed with sin? Jesus simply teaches that in order to pass righteous judgment on another, we ought to first examine ourselves. Let us remove the plank in our eye. Then, and only then, can we see clearly to remove the speck in our brother's eye.
http://www.bible.ca/ef/expository-matthew-7-1...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#483422 Oct 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The issue I have with her post is that she doesn't realize who the "biblical scholars" were and what their beliefs were....
Hi Anthony.Whether it is a Father or a more modern exponent,I check each source individually .

The bottom line: is it Biblical and how clear are the verses cited.In Origen's case, for example.Some of his interpretations were solid. Others were his speculation.Each has its own degree of Biblical verification.

The error many make is assuming that the writings of all the Fathers have little Biblical consistency.'To the contrary Dalyrmple once said that 46% of the verses in the NT could be reconstructed from the writings of the church fathers (3620), meaning 54%.

Some of the blame rests with us in the stigma attached to quoting the fathers. Some perceive this as we are taking the word of man over the Word of God.There would have been a better way to dialogue re this in the beginning but I fear too much water has passed under the bridge.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483423 Oct 19, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Your prating proves my words: Then you have been sold a defective Bible...it contradicts itself...get a refund...
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great:

He (GOD) appeared in the flesh,(JESUS)
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.

GOD appeared in the flesh (JESUS)....

Location hidden

#483424 Oct 19, 2013
John chapter 7:24

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

Judge not according to the appearance,.... Or through respect of persons, and so as to please men, the Scribes and Pharisees; who had condemned the action of Christ, in curing the diseased man on the sabbath day, and sought to kill him for it:

with respect to marge and her disputing with a man, a good man at that, and a good woman who loved her spouse and was worried much about him.

I sought not to please one person on this forum, catholic or not. I spoke what was right and necessary to shut this woman up, and I apologize not one whit for my words.

case closed.AMEN
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483425 Oct 19, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>to be a Christian is to love people even if they are not of our beliefs. there is an old saying and it still is true today.
there will be people in heaven who people thought would never be there, and there will NOT be people make it to Heaven who many people thought would be there.
I am not persuaded if people think that my Knowledge of the Word of God is Superior or not, I am persuaded if they think that I live it, just as I am persuaded if I see others live what thus saith the Lord.it is difficult almost impossible for me to accept you, HOJO et al as Christians ,who ridicule those of us who believe the Word of God to be self sufficient in and of itself to enable us to lead and live a Holy Life. being a catholic, a protestant or orthodoxy will not Save One person on this forum, and that to me is what I consider, as I expressed that to John many, many times.
so lets take a closer look. John always said that if we didn't belong to the Orthodoxy, we were not Saved. Nick and Rose have Never said that to me. the catholic belief on this forum accentuates the very same train of thought as what John claimed.
while to the Protestants on here, we adhere to what Jesus says, "except a man/woman is Born Again, they shall not enter into Heaven". also the Bible says that if we don't love the Brethren, we don't love God, and further, if we love God, we will love the Brethren and Nick and Rose have showed Love.
what have you showed?
So behaviour on this board, especially how they treat you, is what determines whether one is a Christian or not. I can assure you there are folks here who you accept as Christians based on their comments but also do things in their personal lives that would cause you to change your mind if they were honest and admitted it here publically. If I, as a Catholic Christian, refrained from expressing my Catholic faith regarding sola scriptura, would that make a difference? Would it matter that my faith is attacked BECAUSE I don't adhere to sola scriptura?

You seem to expect other Christians to put aside their firmly held beliefs and remain silent while you continue to express yours.

#483426 Oct 19, 2013
who="marge" <quoted text>
By now you should be able to check the Bible for yourself to see if what you hear is such.

----------
You have heard of people who 'look through rose-colored glasses', or 'look narrowly'? Well, these people look at 'their church' through the eyes of it's teachings alone.

This is why we need the Bible. I've encountered a number of people in different denominations who declare that 'their' church is the only one going to heaven.

I heard a 'story' once about some people who had died and met Peter who was guiding them. As they passed one area, Peter said, "Be real quiet as you go past here. This is the _______ church, and they think that they are the only folk here. LOL

II Tim. 2:15 "Study to show yourself approved unto God..." What do you suppose Paul was telling Timothy to 'study'? Jesus already answered that one: He said to 'study the scriptures.' Paul said that the scriptures are 'able to make you wise unto salvation'. Martin Luther was diligent to study the scriptures, and many have profited from his study.

KayMarie

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#483427 Oct 19, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Did it ever occur to you that there was "no bible" as we know it today until the 17th century. The Church came first and then the Bible. The Bible wasn't even compiled until 382 AD and the printing press wasn't even invented until 1440 by John Guetenberg. If you really think that the bible is the only way of salvation (as these self-interpreting bible only "hack" preachers keep saying) then what about the billions and billions of Christian, who for, the 1st 1500 years of the Church, didn't have a bible. Jesus Christ established an authority of earth to preserve HIS revelation and decide the Canon of Scripture (by the Early Church Fathers who gave us the bible in 397 AD)...This authority is the Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, founded, established, formed and initiated by Jesus Christ HIMSELF!!! If you disagree then tell me what other authority determined the Bible canon?????
The CHURCH of that time did compile it ..Weren't those Churches now called Orthodox a part of it??

That wasn't the point ...

Let's face it a lot if folks did not read ..did the Church bring people to Chrit ..of course .....but your original premises about bible believing Christians being more recent ..You just sneered your own question ..

Your Church ..in.my opinion ..o all caught up with he Secular.

THEre was a New World about to be settled ..You think God did not know this...And want His,Word spread in the way it was ...

THERR was a wide nation to be settled ..folks read the bible tourist children before they built any Churches .

I'm convinced GOD KNOWS ALL AND PROVIDED FOR THIS...in light of EHAT was going on at the time in Europe ..You bet .

The CHURCH of Jesus was never to be he CHURCH of Caesar ...And kinky thrones ..And kissing rings by monarchs ...

God used men ..we had a,Reformation...bibles were loosed ; no the world ..the settlers brought the faith o he New World ..non Catholic as well as Catholic ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Brian_G 70,028
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min MUQ2 45,561
Horny snapchat usernames 4 min josh 8
Websleuths & Tricia Griffith is a fraud. Especi... 4 min MMgonzo 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Aura Mytha 974,603
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 24 min ImFree2Choose 4,929
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min Brian_G 282,861
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 7 hr Jersey97boy 86
More from around the web