Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665168 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#483220 Oct 18, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
But you have it now,..not just a small part of a service ..
Real contextual study of the BIBLE ...one you can read,if you like ..
And I'm sure are,encouraged to???
It's a far different thing than hearing it at Mass .
I've done both ..
Not really the priest usually covers the readings for that day.

The catechism has to do with Bible study. When I went to Catholic school we had homework about Bible stories. I'm sure you did too.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#483221 Oct 18, 2013
WHICH GOSPEL USED

In the early years of Christianity
there was even a controversy over
which of the four Gospels to use.

The Christians of Asia Minor
used the Gospel of John
rather than the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

Based upon the Passion account contained in John,
Christians in Asia Minor celebrated Easter on a different day than those in Rome, which resisted the Gospel of John and instead used the other Gospels.

The Western Church for a time hesitated
to use the Gospel of John
because the Gnostic heretics also made use of it
in addition to their own “secret Gospels.”
marge

Leesburg, GA

#483222 Oct 18, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Assumption does not "conflict" with the bible, clearly others were taken up as well. That was my point. But no celestial bodies are made of green cheese so you're comparison doesn't hold water. Sorry confrint.
It 'adds' to the Bible.
Liam

Detroit, MI

#483223 Oct 18, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
LIAM
CLAY?
Any way ..I grew up with prayers,to Mary and May think a,bit differently about her than some others .
Did she have other children ..assumed ..born sinless or cleansed at the time of Jesus conception. By the HOLY Spirit
..if God wills,we,will all find out someday .in all these mysteries
Any way SERIiouS,question
All the early writings that THE EARLY Church included in CONPILING what we know,as the bible .
If Christ said ...or the Apostles acted in such a way as,to not only respect and love Mary ..But to Hold her up for reverence and authority .
Why is,she not mention in Acts ..why is,she not mentioned as,being a,
Disciple .
Now,I'M sure she was a source of knowledge for those who.wrote the gospels ..But why not even mention that .
If she was part of their community and just disappeared ..raptured..took up ..ascended ..why is it not in their accounts .
I have to say the fAct that she is,NOT mentioned in these ways GIVES CREDENCE to the,scriptures ....
As,opposed to the basement monk ..who would have at some time in Chyr h history added words about Mary's role .
Thank God ...it's,not the case .
So I'm curious,if we were meant to use MARY ...blessed as she was..as our Mediator ..why did Jesus not say so ...he told us,ask the FATHER IN MY NAME.
this is,why protestants do mot understand Mariology .
Why wasn't MARY more prominent ..it even mentioned as a,source in Scripture ..??
Mary is someone who needs no introduction in scripture. She bore forth the savior of mankind; God Himself made manifest. Really, there didn't need to be written documentation describing anything else. I mean, she nursed God and taught him how to walk and talk. Does the scriptures record that? No. Do you believe it happened?

Also, scripture barely mentions Jesus Christ for the first 33 yrs. Does that mean He wasn't important then?

Also Rose, the NT was first penned about 25 yrs after Jesus Christ died and rose. Of those writings, we have the memoirs of 4 of the Apostles. What I'm saying is, if everything about the life of Jesus Christ isn't documented in scripture, why would the life of Mary be?

Location hidden

#483224 Oct 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary is someone who needs no introduction in scripture. She bore forth the savior of mankind; God Himself made manifest. Really, there didn't need to be written documentation describing anything else. I mean, she nursed God and taught him how to walk and talk. Does the scriptures record that? No. Do you believe it happened?
Also, scripture barely mentions Jesus Christ for the first 33 yrs. Does that mean He wasn't important then?
Also Rose, the NT was first penned about 25 yrs after Jesus Christ died and rose. Of those writings, we have the memoirs of 4 of the Apostles. What I'm saying is, if everything about the life of Jesus Christ isn't documented in scripture, why would the life of Mary be?
==========

The Bible need not include Jesus' early life or Theotokos' life.

The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.

Footnotes:

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#483225 Oct 18, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>there is no one that has claimed that Jesus is God the Father, but you cant tell oxbore that. he doesn't care, he only wishes to argue, as the enigma that he is.
Really?????

----------
Chuck say:*Does Jesus say the words "I am God" no but if we read the passages it is clear who Jesus says He is...He is God
----------
Chuck also say: Not sure where he is going with this. Obviously he debates about God's Word but then denies Jesus is God. Two religions come to mind who deny Jesus is God but not sure what church Ox belongs to.
----------
GOD
This name, the derivation of which is uncertain, we give to that eternal, infinite, perfect, and incomprehensible Being, the Creator of all things, who preserves and governs all by his almighty power and wisdom, and is the only proper object of worship. The proper Hebrew name for God is JEHOVAH, which signifies He is.

Location hidden

#483226 Oct 18, 2013
Fight for us, O God, that we not drift numb and blind and foolish into vain and empty excitements. Life is too short, too precious, too painful to waste on worldly bubbles that burst. Heaven is too great, hell is too horrible, eternity is too long that we should putter around on the porch of eternity.”

&#8213; John Piper Baptist theologian, preacher, and author

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#483227 Oct 18, 2013
who="Richie T" <quoted text> know - that's why I and other blood-bought Christians are still here. We are the "assembly called forth by the Crier" i.e. Ekklesia i.e. Church. We exist in every creed, nation and tongue and see through the deception of the Great Wh*re of Babylon.
The gates of Hell almost prevailed when the bloody, murderous Inquisitions nearly snuffed us out. Why would a Christian Church claiming guidance from the Holy Spirit kill in the name of Jesus? Unless, they have a jealous rage that come only from lost, unregenerated men who were, and still are, pricked in their unconverted hearts.

----------
Saul/Paul thought that he was working for God when he was persecuting the first Christians...but Jesus corrected him.

Jesus said that 'some of you they will kill, and believe that they are doing God service'. He said of those who crucified Him that, "they don't know what they are doing."

If you want to kill someone, or beat them up because they disagree with you, you can know for sure that the 'spirit' you are in is persecuting Jesus.

KayMarie

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#483228 Oct 18, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
FOR THE NEW TESTAMENT, THE PROCESS OF THE RECOGNITION AND COLLECTION BEGAN IN THE FIRST CENTURIES OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH.
VERY EARLY ON, SOME OF THE NEW TESTAMENT BOOKS WERE BEING RECOGNIZED.
PRIOR TO A.D. 80 THE DIDACHE was in circulation. In it contains knowledge of Matthew, Luke, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians and I Peter, and possibly Hebrews and Jude
A.D. 95 CLEMENT OF ROME mentioned at least eight New Testament books
A.D. 108 POLYCARP, a disciple of John the apostle, acknowledged 15 books Smyrna now &#304;zmir, Turkey
Polycarp's Letter to the Philippians written prior to A.D. 117, quotes John, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians, II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, II Thessalonians, I Timothy, II Timothy, Hebrews, James and I John.
A.D. 115 IGNATIUS OF ANTIOCH acknowledged about seven books The letters of Ignatius of Antioch, all
written before A.D. 117,(his death) refer to Matthew, John, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, and possibly eleven other New Testament books.
100-147. JUSTIN MARTYR, mentions the Gospels as being four in number and quotes from them and some of the epistles of Paul and Revelation. Born in Samaria (the middle portion of Israel, between Galilee and Judea) of pagan Greek parents
A.D. 185 IRENAEUS, quoted from all New Testament books except Philemon, Jude, James and 3 John.
Irenaeus mentioned 21 books A Greek from Smyrna in Asia Minor,now &#304;zmir, Turkey
160-240. TERTULLIAN, contemporary of Origen and Clement, mentions all the New Testament books except 2 Peter, James and 2 John. From Carthage in the Roman province of Africa
165-220. CLEMENT, OF ALEXANDRIA, names all the books of the New Testament except Philemon, James, 2 Peter and 3 John. In addition we are told by Eusebius, who had the works of Clement, that he gave explanations and quotations from all the canonical books.
185-254. ORIGEN, born at Alexandria, names all the books of both the Old and New Testaments.
1000 YEARS BEFORE THE COUNCIL OF NIACEA ORIGEN placed the gospels in the order we still have them in today.
325 AD ATHANASIUS, in the council of Niacea referred to all 27 books of the New Testament calling them the springs of salvation
By 170 AD the whole church from Asia to Africa had in their possession the completed Bible (2 peter was still considered).
All,the early church from the first to second century show they were familiar with twenty one of the twenty seven New Testament books which is demonstrated by their writings and quotations. By this time period the Apocrypha was not part of the Canon
Well then no monk.in the basement

Somehow,despite their humble origins,...And,NIT BEING TOLD TO WRITE ...they did ...

Leading of the,HOLY Spirit ..perhaps???

Thanks,..your post is,reassuring

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#483229 Oct 18, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really the priest usually covers the readings for that day.
The catechism has to do with Bible study. When I went to Catholic school we had homework about Bible stories. I'm sure you did too.
Yes,we,had stories,we,learned that were biblical as,children

Have to say

My daughter had to learn the books,in the bible ..I had never heard of them spoken of that way .

Nor enumerated,..She learned chapters,..verses ..not just what the,priest said was,today's,epistles..gospel .

It's,NOT THE,SAME,THING ...

Yes,the,source was,..we,read from the gospel of John today .

We did not study the book of John ...

Wen I picked up one of Dr school.bibles ..And said ..oh yes That story .

It was like learning a new alphabet ...

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#483230 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere, of course. He left the Church to compile the canon of scripture.
I don't remember reading in scripture where Jesus left it up to a church to compile them. If anything, the scriptures were already compiled in what was called the Torah. Jesus came to confirm what was already revealed. There was never the intent to exalt his own name. Men exalted him and made him God, even though Jesus kept God's word that no graven image should be made of God or worshipped upon as God. It was men who broke this commandment and established a church in the name and image of Jesus. Jesus did not intend this. Look it up!! According to scripture, Jesus exalted the word of God, not himself. Jesus came to glorify the Father, not himself...according to scripture. U have claimed that Jesus came and set up his church which is the Roman Catholic Church. This church evolved out of the Holy Roman Empire which worshipped pagan gods and performed pagan rituals. Go check your history if U wanna call me a liar. Do U think they have ventured far from this original practice of worshipping the gods?!? Why do U think the Roman Catholic Church have more than one entity to pray upon?!? Open your eyes!!!!!!

#483231 Oct 18, 2013
who="StarC"
Don't like do you. Its your founder Gif/KM... this is who you follow.
Jesus founded our Church, live with it.
Know what get old? YOU.
You attack and I will defend, your style.
You wrote.
"is she your husband first wife"
LOL, too funny is that all you have?
One husband, One wife per lifetime, right. Obviously the founder of your church didn't follow Scripture!
Did you forget you told us you are 'penticostal'?
Be nice and I'll be nice, otherwise expect the same.

----------
Aimee McPherson DID NOT establish the church to which I belong, and God won't judge me for whatever Aimee did. Aimee is dead, but the headlines at the top of this page list lots of live Catholics who are anything but godly.

Suppose neither of us judges the other by long dead strangers...or let's just not judge ANYBODY, as that job belongs to God.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#483232 Oct 18, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
It 'adds' to the Bible.
No, the Catholic Church doesn't say the Assumption of Mary is in the bible. Adding to the bible would be like saying the bible says "faith alone", or "bible alone".

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#483233 Oct 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
But wouldn't that be someplace in all those,books,

We visited he,Lords mother and gained great wisdom.etc.

As I say ..She was holy..was blessed ..was honored ...And by her words
Saved ..And,suffered great when her Son was killed ..

I'm sure,she,was,among the disciples,...And I like to believe may have not had a,painful death ..

But some of this,dogma,came only by fiat ..we don't know .

I.hope to some day ..in a,lot of things,

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#483234 Oct 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Richie T" <quoted text> know - that's why I and other blood-bought Christians are still here. We are the "assembly called forth by the Crier" i.e. Ekklesia i.e. Church. We exist in every creed, nation and tongue and see through the deception of the Great Wh*re of Babylon.
The gates of Hell almost prevailed when the bloody, murderous Inquisitions nearly snuffed us out. Why would a Christian Church claiming guidance from the Holy Spirit kill in the name of Jesus? Unless, they have a jealous rage that come only from lost, unregenerated men who were, and still are, pricked in their unconverted hearts.
----------
Saul/Paul thought that he was working for God when he was persecuting the first Christians...but Jesus corrected him.
Jesus said that 'some of you they will kill, and believe that they are doing God service'. He said of those who crucified Him that, "they don't know what they are doing."
If you want to kill someone, or beat them up because they disagree with you, you can know for sure that the 'spirit' you are in is persecuting Jesus.
KayMarie
Amen
truth

Australia

#483235 Oct 18, 2013
It is written what holy scripture say.
Tribe against tribe
people against people
nation against nation
father against son
son against father
mother against daughter
daughter against mother..and so on..
where is that any name if others simply transform on papers or books.

Its not nice say you are liar..but pretender who is better or bigger or holy.
Our lovely God don't need that no.

-First Jesus speak about find what is lost.
-Holy scripture say about..not coming in mind too.

You not tell me confe why ants have colony?

#483236 Oct 18, 2013
who="RoSesz" <quoted text>
Well then no monk.in the basement
Somehow,despite their humble origins,...And,NIT BEING TOLD TO WRITE ...they did ...
Leading of the,HOLY Spirit ..perhaps???
Thanks,..your post is,reassuring

----------

Luke made great effort to put the testimony of witnesses (those who were there, and saw what happened) for Theophilus, who apparently was a man of importance. Luke wrote the gospel to this man. Later he also wrote the book of Acts and directed it to this same man.(First chapters of Luke and Acts give this account.)

KayMarie

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#483239 Oct 18, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, that's when the fish sign came into being.
lol.

Most symbols that people use have a story behind them and are used to make a statement. Some of the most famous are the so-called Christian symbols such as the cross and the fish. Whilst they provide a useful mean of identification, all of these are carnal and nowadays used promiscuously by everybody, thus it is best for us to avoid using them. Moreover they all have a precedent story of paganism, a thing we Christian must avoid

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#483241 Oct 18, 2013
Hmmm!, something has been brought to my attention by a post from @CHUCK....it seems that Jesus, on the slick side, referred to himself as God. Maybe it's just me but look at Exodus 3:13 and John 8:57-58. It could be open to interpretation but to me this is pretty startling. Maybe Jesus was referring to being one of the gods that were united with the Supreme God. U know, like it mentions in Genesis that there were other gods besides the One, some even falling from grace. Could Jesus have been speaking from the standpoint that he was one of those gods because he said in John 8:58 that he was "around" even before Abraham. HMMMM!!!

Location hidden

#483242 Oct 18, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Bigot. You know very well that what the priest reads in the missile are from the bible. I can't believe how ignorant you are. I have read your posts and dismissed them as ignorance on your part, but then, tonight , I noticed you have an agenda to discredit Catholics any way you can. The readings at Mass are right out of the bible. And you need to take your hands away from your eyes and read the Missile and find out Catholics DO read the bible. And another thing, you should get on your hands and knees and ask Christ for forgiveness.
You insist people agree with you that 1+1=3 or they are hateful, ignorant bigots.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 2 min Seentheotherside 464
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 6 min Voyeur 39,216
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 20 min Truthiness 24
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 44 min Scaritual 87,943
Renzenberger : STEALING MILLIONS from their dri... (Feb '15) 1 hr rocko 44
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 284,496
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr karl44 977,199
The Future of Politics in America 21 hr Insults Are Easier 176
More from around the web