Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 649768 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#482769 Oct 17, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>I sent my kids to parochial school pre K through 12. and no one was denied a Catholic education, ever . We had migrant workers kids go to school there ,single mothers , etc.
I'm not stating anyone was denied. Please stop changing the discussion to something that is not being discussed.

I'll call this diversion. You aren't "Dan" are you?

I stated that in order to attend, one had to pay a tuition - a tuition that was paid by the parents of the child(ren).

To learn at a Catholic school, one is required to pay tuition, otherwise they could not attend.

I know of nowhere that Catholic schools openly teach anyone free of charge.

If this is the case, you will have support your claim with a citation that states that Catholic schools do not require tuition to attend.

You can supply this information, right?

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#482771 Oct 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Because people choose to believe what men tell them - which ever direction that takes them. They don't care, they just want to think they are exclusive or special.
They aren't any more special than my puppy thinks she is.
Yep, we all want to feel significant. I see that most folks join groups even though their own beliefs aren't quite in line with the rest. Just that feeling of acceptance can distort a person's own rationale and that person will eventually embrace the theologies of the group, even believing what obviously couldn't be true. Hmmm, Self, right?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#482772 Oct 17, 2013
who="Black Thunder 42" <quoted text>
I'm good with that...I was simply making the point that you can't have it two or 3 different ways just to suit your whims...I don't mean "you" personally, so don't misunderstand me.

----------
Thanks.

Agree. We have different denominations and cults because of people's 'whims'.

2Ti 2:15 Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Ti 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#482773 Oct 17, 2013
Roman Catholic Priest Handed 15 Years Prison Term For Rwandan Genocide
Page 1 of 2

The United Nations war crimes court for Rwanda handed down a 15 year jail term to a Roman Catholic priest convicted of genocide for his active role in the 1994 mass killings in the central African country. It took into account 'his good record before 1994', his 'relative youth' and his voluntary surrender.

A three member panel headed by Judge Andrefia Vaz said that the International Criminal Tribunal found Rev. Athanase Seromba guilty on two of four counts he faced in connection with the genocide in which up to a million people, mainly minority Tutsis, died. He is the first Roman Catholic priest to have been tried so far in connection with the slaughter.

Last week the tribunal allowed early release to Elizaphan Ntakirutimana, an 82 year old former senior pastor of the Seventh day Adventist Church who had been serving a 10 year prison sentence handed down 19 February 2003 for his role in the genocide.

HUTU

Seromba was the Roman Catholic priest at Nyange parish in Kivumu Commune, Rwanda, and is ethnically Hutu. He pleaded not guilty to all charges. These centred on the destruction of his church where about 2,000 Tutsis had sought shelter in April 1994. He was accused of ordering the destruction of the church by buldozers, which led to the deaths of all inside, and of sending in Hutu militia members to kill Tutsis who tried to flee. He also personally shot refugees who tried to escape the killings and handed survivors over to the killers, many of whom were then murdered in his presence. In addition he personally manned a roadblock to check identity cards so that Tutsis could be singled out and killed.

POWERLESS

Seromba had claimed he was simply a parish priest and had been powerless to stop the killing.

The New Times, published in Kigali, Rwanda, described the 15 year sentence as 'paltry' and said he had 'cheated justice'. It added: "For the survivors, whose families, friends and neighbours died at the hands of Seromba, or wounded and left to lead a life of grief, isolation and poverty, the verdict amounts to a denial of justice".

The editor added: "If Seromba, 31 in 1994, was old enough to be trusted by the Catholic Church as a priest in charge of a parish, surely he was sufficiently mature to recognise the difference between right and wrong? Those who knew Seromba when he was studying for the priesthood at the Grand Seminary in Nyakabanda do not share the tribunals' judgment about Seromba's 'good reputation' prior to 1994. While at the RC seminary in Nyakabanda, he joined a committee of students who were later implicated in the genocide. It would be truer to say that Seromba was 'surrendered by the Papacy, after intense pressure by the ICTR, than to claim he came of his own free will. From the time his presence in Italy became public to his arrival in Arusha in February 2002, he did everything possible to elude justice and to deny his role in the massacres in Rwanda".

Ntakiruimana, who spent sometime in custody before his 10-year sentence, had headed the Adventist church in western Rwanda and was responsible for the Mugonero parish, where thousands of Tutsis were killed. He was convicted together with his son Gerard, who was a doctor at the Mugonero hospital. Gerard is now serving 25 years in prison.

As we reported in British Church Newspaper, in April 2004, events and media coverage of the l 0th anniversary of the Hutu massacres of Tutsis spring, 1994, strangely omitted the role of the institution largely responsible for the genocide the Roman Catholic church. Its role, said many, could be compared to its role in supporting the Nazis in the 1930s.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#482774 Oct 17, 2013
Roman Catholic Priest Handed 15 Years Prison Term For Rwandan Genocide
Page 2 of 2

WHITE FATHERS

The origins of the Rwandan conflict lay in the bizarre racial theories of the Belgian Roman Catholic 'White Fathers'. Darwinian evolutionary and racial theories were then in full flow. The 'Fathers' developed a theory, the socalled 'Hamitic hypothesis', which proclaimed that 'civilised' African societies emanated from an invasion of 'Ham ites' who originally settled in Ethiopia.

Rwandan history was effectively rewritten by RC academics and Belgian colonial administrators, who proclaimed that the Hutus were of 'inferior' stock and destined to be treated like Bantu serfs. Tutsi were given places of resonsibility in Rwanda. Their powers and privileges increased greatly. But Hutu resentment grew.

Gregoire Kayibanda, Secretary to Monsignor Vincent Nsengiyuma, Rwanda's Roman Catholic Archbishop, became first President of an independent Rwanda, having earlier founded the racial supremacist 'Parme Hutu' pity. The Tutsi were now seen by RC thinkers as 'invaders' from Ethiopia and the RC Church orchestrated calls for the Tutsi to be 'sent back home'. In 1972 a group of eleven Hutu priests sent a letter to the Archbishop describing the Tutsi as 'inyensi'(cockroaches) a word used frequently by Hutu killers in the 1994 massacres.

ENDORSED

The following year, the RC Church publicly endorsed the purge of Tutsis from schools, colleges and the civil service. Abuses and occasional massacres of Tutsis were the inevitable result of this persecution.

The events leading up to the genocide in April 1994 were, according to many experts, planned and co ordinated by RC church leaders and politicians in conjunction with Hutu racial supremacists and United States Ambassador David Rawson.

In a 1999 Guardian article, Chris McGreal wrote of the failure of the RC church to prevent the bloodshed: "It failed because it claims four out of five Rwandans as adherents, yet it made little effort to influence the killers. That failure continues today through denial and evasion over its responsibility for the genocide".

A number of RC priests actively participated in the genocide of the Tutsi, including Augustin Misago, charged in 1999 with dispatching children to serve in the Hutu militia. A human rights group, who investigated RC participation in the massacres, wrote to the Pope saying: "One is struck by the persistent wish to exonerate the RC hierarchy and the institution at any price".

#482775 Oct 17, 2013
who="Richie T" <quoted text> Keep up the great work of contending for the faith!:)

----------
My joy and privilege...Thanks.

KayMarie
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#482776 Oct 17, 2013
Jesus Christ Established a Visible, Heirarchical, Authoritative Church On Earth
(Why, because the bible says so in Acts 2)

Every Christian believes that Jesus Christ established and sustains a community of faith, hope and love for all believers. This community we call His Church. The Church that Christ founded is the Catholic Church which has a formal earthly structure established by Christ and which continues under His authority and protection.
In the Old Testament we see God's continual involvement in the lives of the Israelites through appointed prophets. God delivered, instructed and admonished the Israelites. He made His motions in a visible, specific and formal way. He always did so through human hands, mouths, feet, minds and wills. God established a law and a means for executing it.
In concert with His redemptive act, Jesus did three things that established the framework of His Church. First, He chose humans to carry out His work. He appointed Peter to be the visible head of the Church. Jesus said to Peter, "You are Rock and on this rock I will build my Church." (Matthew 16: 18) Jesus said "build," as in to create a structure. Jesus built His structure on specifically chosen human beings Peter and the apostles.
Second, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles the power and authority to carry out His work. "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven."(Matthew 16:19; 18:18) "Receive the Holy Spirit, whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven, whose sins you retain, they are retained."(John 20:23)
Third, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles commands as to what that work should be. At the last supper, He commanded, "Do this in memory of Me." (Luke 22:19) He commanded them to "Make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19), and to "Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)
The early Church was structured in a hierarchical manner as it is today. We see in Acts, chapter 15 how the apostles and the elders came together under the leadership of St. Peter to decide the question of what was required of Gentiles. We also see how St. Peter was regarded as the head of the Church when St. Paul, "Went up to Jerusalem to confer with Kephas [Peter] and remained with him fifteen days." (Galatians 1:18) There is no Scriptural evidence of independent local churches.
The Catholic Church is the only church that can claim to have been founded by Christ personally. Every other church traces its lineage back to a mere human person such as Martin Luther or John Wesley. The Catholic Church can trace its lineage back to Jesus Christ who appointed St. Peter as the first pope. This line of popes has continued unbroken for almost 2,000 years.
God rules, instructs and sanctifies His people through His Church. Under her teaching office, the Catholic Church preserves the Word of God. She is the custodian, keeper, dispenser and interpreter of teachings of Christ. And she accomplishes this under the protection of the Holy Spirit

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#482777 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Exactly.
But Star's post tried to applaud a charitable contribution by the RCC, without even mentioning the income for theri school programs come from the parents of the children being taught.
I guess I am not too surprised at her, as she tends to double-talk her way through many topics, just to post a positive attribute, instead of revealing all of the facts assocaited to the perception she tries to obtain.
She may go on believing as she chooses, even if it is an incorrect conclusion.
She probably doesn't know any better, because she never researched her belief prior to being involved with it as much as she seems to be.
Yes,that's,why I posted,about tuition .

Not saying Catholic Charities,don't do a lot..But parents pay tuition

And it's,THEM who PAY PROPERTY TAXES...for schools,as WELL AS NOT TAKING UP SPACE IN THOSE SCHOOLS,THEY PAY FOR ...
LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#482778 Oct 17, 2013
Richie T wrote:
<quoted text>You weren't drawn to the Father as a Protestant and certainly have not found Him as a Catholic/Universalist.
I agree, maybe he will keep searching for the truth
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#482779 Oct 17, 2013

Why I am a Catholic

I AM A CATHOLIC ...

Because the founder of the Catholic Church is the God-Man Jesus Christ, Who was foretold by the prophets, and Who proved the divine character of His mission and teaching by wonderful miracles, especially by His Own Resurrection from the dead;

Because Christ established upon Peter and the Apostles the Church, one, holy, universal, apostolic, with which He declared He would remain all days to the consummation of the world, and against which the gates of Hell would not prevail;

Because Christ gave this society certain well defined doctrines which all men everywhere must believe under pain of damnation,**1 to which they may not add or from which they may not subtract;

Because Christ the Author of all holiness, promised to guard this society from error and preserve it until the end of time;

Because the Catholic Church possesses all marks of this Church established by Christ:

The Catholic Church is ONE because she everywhere professes the same faith, has the same sacrifice and sacraments, and is governed by one and the same visible head, the Pope. All non-Catholic sects lack unity. Because of the principles of private judgment they are conditionally splitting and subdividing. They have no central authority to hold them together. Their doctrines and practices are changing from day to day.

The Catholic Church is HOLY because its Founder, Jesus Christ, is all-holy; because it doctrines are holy; because its means of sanctification, the sacraments, are holy; because it produces holy, saintly men and women.

The Catholic Church is UNIVERSAL because it subsist throughout the ages, teaches all nations, and maintains all the truths given to it by Christ. The sects are not spread over the whole world but rather localized, nor do they teach everything that Our Lord taught the Apostles.

The Catholic Church is APOSTOLIC because it was founded on Christ's Apostles, because it is governed by their doctrines through their lawful successors, and because it never ceases to teach their doctrine. The sects cannot trace their origin to Christ or to the Apostles.**2

I am a Catholic, finally, because God Who is Supreme Truth and Holiness could not possibly be the Author of the countless sects with their mutually destructive and contradictory teachings and practices **3
Dan

Omaha, NE

#482780 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
...and yet you chose to not refute them.....but just with your post claiming the poster was wrong.
Sounds like you didn't post enough to refute the post, except with diverting and choosing not to answer it with honesty.
Self.
Face it Dan, you've admitted that you divert. I'm just basing my perception on your own posts.
Yes Dan, it is still Self.
I refuted him by telling him he was wrong. It's (the supporting scripture) there for anyone to look up.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#482781 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
We've gone over this before in so many different ways.
And we still arrive at the same answers - you choose to believe in men, I do not.
What part of this do you not understand?
Sure you do.

You rely on the writings of others to inform your beliefs.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#482782 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you uphold the dismissal of such texts so readily?
Are you afraid of something?
I didn't "uphold" anything.

I asked your buddy how he knows what things that he never saw (they were "destroyed") said or contained.

I am, admittedly, afraid of wasting my life on message boards with conspiracy theorists and sophists.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#482783 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
BTW - although "Thomas" was a man, he didn't define "God", he supposedly only scribed the teachings of Jesus, who was describing "God".
Do you believe Jesus' description of "God"?
He's a man and you hew to his writings.

Thanks. That's what I needed. Think we're done with this "why do you believe men" drivel, I hope.

#482784 Oct 17, 2013
who="Liam "<quoted text>
But that's not what was taught. Its only what you are choosing to see 1900 yrs later. You can't undo what the Apostles taught because your undoing the word of God. Many protestants, and protestants of the original protestants are starting to realize this due to the internet and the new evangelization of the Catholic Church. The Eucharist- as the first 1600 yrs of Christianity understood it- is the new testament. Not a book, Kay

----------
Not so. 1Co 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, NOT DISCERNING THE LORD'S BODY.

All that I have given you is from scripture...not what I 'CHOOSE to see'.

1Co 6:19 What? Don't you know that YOUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF THE HOLY GHOST WHICH IS IN YOU, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?(You/we are part of His Body...the Church...the Bride of Christ.)

I am astounded with those of the RCC who claim that they gave us the Bible...yet they disregard what the Bible says. IF it is not the Truth...that makes the RCC responsible for deception!

If you gave it, then pay attention to it...

KayMarie

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#482785 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
To expect so-called "Christians" to understand the Spirit, is like asking them to understand Jesus, which they can't with only a portion of what he taught.
And yet he,Spirit ..he,RuachHa,Kodesh was,known by the,Jews,..as,the,Spirit of Yahweh....

To think of God ..one,must include His,Spirit that has,been among and,with men since the,Chosen believed,in One God .

Jesus,was,always,saying His,Father referring to God,..if you know Me you know MY FATHER ...

thus the mystery ..names,for the three persons,..as,WE,call them in God .

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#482786 Oct 17, 2013
LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#482787 Oct 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
Jesus Christ Established a Visible, Heirarchical, Authoritative Church On Earth
(Why, because the bible says so in Acts 2)
Every Christian believes that Jesus Christ established and sustains a community of faith, hope and love for all believers. This community we call His Church. The Church that Christ founded is the Catholic Church which has a formal earthly structure established by Christ and which continues under His authority and protection.
In the Old Testament we see God's continual involvement in the lives of the Israelites through appointed prophets. God delivered, instructed and admonished the Israelites. He made His motions in a visible, specific and formal way. He always did so through human hands, mouths, feet, minds and wills. God established a law and a means for executing it.
In concert with His redemptive act, Jesus did three things that established the framework of His Church. First, He chose humans to carry out His work. He appointed Peter to be the visible head of the Church. Jesus said to Peter, "You are Rock and on this rock I will build my Church." (Matthew 16: 18) Jesus said "build," as in to create a structure. Jesus built His structure on specifically chosen human beings Peter and the apostles.
Second, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles the power and authority to carry out His work. "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven."(Matthew 16:19; 18:18) "Receive the Holy Spirit, whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven, whose sins you retain, they are retained."(John 20:23)
Third, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles commands as to what that work should be. At the last supper, He commanded, "Do this in memory of Me." (Luke 22:19) He commanded them to "Make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19), and to "Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)
The early Church was structured in a hierarchical manner as it is today. We see in Acts, chapter 15 how the apostles and the elders came together under the leadership of St. Peter to decide the question of what was required of Gentiles. We also see how St. Peter was regarded as the head of the Church when St. Paul, "Went up to Jerusalem to confer with Kephas [Peter] and remained with him fifteen days." (Galatians 1:18) There is no Scriptural evidence of independent local churches.
The Catholic Church is the only church that can claim to have been founded by Christ personally. Every other church traces its lineage back to a mere human person such as Martin Luther or John Wesley. The Catholic Church can trace its lineage back to Jesus Christ who appointed St. Peter as the first pope. This line of popes has continued unbroken for almost 2,000 years.
God rules, instructs and sanctifies His people through His Church. Under her teaching office, the Catholic Church preserves the Word of God. She is the custodian, keeper, dispenser and interpreter of teachings of Christ. And she accomplishes this under the protection of the Holy Spirit
Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread, you should get on your knees and ask for forgiveness, every time you post such lies, Jesus never started nor would he givew His blessing to such a evil institution Hojo, its author is satan he is the god you serve in this church. the Pope is indeed the leader of this earthly church, Jesus said His Kingdom is not of this world, Jesus never came preaching a denomination or a religious doctor .
Jesus came preaching the kingdom of God.
You silly man, you can,t understand spiritual things because you are spiritual dead.

Jesus 3 :3 Jesus said you must be born again, to enter the kingdom of God , you are not born again.
your in a church filled with dead man bones, its a tomb.
you belong to nothing to a religious pagan sect.
"WANTING TO BE LIKE GOD''OH HOW YOU HAVE FALLEN LUCIFER"
THEY ALL BECAME FOOLS.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#482789 Oct 17, 2013
DeAngelo of Memphis wrote:
<quoted text>Your history books teach about the Crusades and the Inquisition. It's all there. Some texts were preserved but hidden to keep from being destroyed. And some were recovered as fragments but still legible. Ok, manuscripts such as the Dead Sea Scrolls have been uncovered which have information pertaining to that period. We have the Book of Enoch which really isn't considered divine texts by some but are texts nonetheless. There is the Book of Jubilees and also manuscripts they call the Book of Adam which gives detailed accounts of Adam and Eves life shortly after being banned from the garden. There is also a gospel of Mary, gospel of Thomas, and a gospel of Judas. And then not to mention other sacred Hebrew, Sumerian, Egyptian texts that point to a revelation given to man by God. Then there's the written records of Saul of Tarsus, on down to Constantine and the Council of Nicaea. Man, there is so much more to God than what is taught in our churches today. Do U think that Satan is afraid to sit in the pulpit?! Ha! By the way, I'm not claiming to have the truth, but only seeking it. I'm no more knowledgable than the next. Don't trust the priests to tell U about God. Seek for yourself.
Again, if they've been "destroyed", neither you nor I know what they said or contained.

Now, you've changed the story to tell me about non-canonical writings-not the same as that which were "destroyed".
Dan

Omaha, NE

#482791 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm not stating anyone was denied. Please stop changing the discussion to something that is not being discussed.
I'll call this diversion. You aren't "Dan" are you?
I stated that in order to attend, one had to pay a tuition - a tuition that was paid by the parents of the child(ren).
To learn at a Catholic school, one is required to pay tuition, otherwise they could not attend.
I know of nowhere that Catholic schools openly teach anyone free of charge.
If this is the case, you will have support your claim with a citation that states that Catholic schools do not require tuition to attend.
You can supply this information, right?
Catholic schools are private and do not receive state or federal subsidy, thus they charge tuition to meet expenses that the public schools meet with tax money.

Some poor kids get breaks or waived tuition.

Some schools may not charge tuition, but I didn't look too hard for that. Too many dioceses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min River Tam 972,382
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr River Tam 55,910
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr Steve III 427
Will Atheism defeat religion by year 2038? (Feb '15) 1 hr Steve III 70
Does anybody know Doctor REALITY'S race or nati... 2 hr Johnny 39
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 2 hr Al Capone 2,292
Why Australians should fear Muslims? (Feb '15) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 45
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Fri Noname 69
More from around the web