Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#479512 Oct 1, 2013
Concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you miss the point and most importantly CONTEXT. Yes all agree as do I that a believer must be baptized.
How when and by whom has not.
This is TYPICAL RC cherry picking on your part
YOU refuse to be fair and honest with the context and continually play fast and lose with the truth, the meaning of the author whether human or divine.
You and Clinton would get along jsut fine I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
That is because you re-define the words so you can say your not lying.
Ya you are not lying you are just being a deceitful dishonest devil.
Thanks, I can always count on ad hominem attacks from you when you can't provide a cogent response.

Do they all agree?

Do they (and you) agree that;

"From the early days of the Church, baptism was universally perceived as the means of receiving four basic gifts: the remission of sins, deliverance from death, regeneration, and the bestowal of the Holy Spirit."

???

There isn't a protestant on this board, with the possible exception of PAD, who agrees.

My question is, if you do as you say "agree", what happens to people who AREN'T regenerated, bestowed with the Holy Spirit, have their sins remitted and delivered from death?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#479513 Oct 1, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop "distorting 2000 years of proven biblical and historical (substantiated) FACTS, New Age.......... You have become an "expert" at deceiving others by your "one sided modernistic author and writer sources that were all "born yesterday"....... EVERY ONE of these sources that consider themselves to be (so-called) expert writers, including: Udo Schnelle, Hans Conzelmann, Joseph Fitzmyer, F.F. Bruce, Echhard Plumacher, Helmet Koester, Steven Davies, Burton Mack, Raymond Brown, Ben Witherington ----EVERY ONE OF THEM are pro-protestant, bible only, anti-catholic writers and authors who even go so far as to write papers on "Debunking Christianity"...... ALL of them wrote from (1992-1998) and "throw their (Protestant opinions around" like (clay pigeons that are wildly shot our of skeet launcher). We, as Catholics (all know) where you are coming from and the (confused, chaotic and dis-oriented)direction that you are heading. I/we as Catholics will continue to follow, believe, worship and adhere to the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His Historically and Biblically PROVEN One True Apostolic Catholic Church. You, my friend, can continue (as always) to drift around "in circles" in your bible only boat of distortions, lies and deceit---(one your own). NO ONE!! NOT ONE CATHOLIC--is buying the "National Inquirer" (fictitious) anti-catholic bible interpreting "hack" writers that you keep promoting!!!
~~~
Your one true Apostolic Church ...

that is all you post about...like a warped record with the needle stuck..

If you spent one fraction of the time that you use extolling your Church

lifting up Jesus before the world you could become a profitable servant to Him

If you were born again the things of this earth would lose their value

and your obsession with the dynasty of Rome would fade.

While you are praising your authors and finishers of your Church ...Your

composers are decomposing into the dust of the earth..

You need to build you hopes on thing eternal and take hold of God's unchanging Hand.

Col 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

Col 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#479514 Oct 1, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop "distorting 2000 years of proven biblical and historical (substantiated) FACTS, New Age.......... You have become an "expert" at deceiving others by your "one sided modernistic author and writer sources that were all "born yesterday"....... EVERY ONE of these sources that consider themselves to be (so-called) expert writers, including: Udo Schnelle, Hans Conzelmann, Joseph Fitzmyer, F.F. Bruce, Echhard Plumacher, Helmet Koester, Steven Davies, Burton Mack, Raymond Brown, Ben Witherington ----EVERY ONE OF THEM are pro-protestant, bible only, anti-catholic writers and authors who even go so far as to write papers on "Debunking Christianity"...... ALL of them wrote from (1992-1998) and "throw their (Protestant opinions around" like (clay pigeons that are wildly shot our of skeet launcher). We, as Catholics (all know) where you are coming from and the (confused, chaotic and dis-oriented)direction that you are heading. I/we as Catholics will continue to follow, believe, worship and adhere to the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His Historically and Biblically PROVEN One True Apostolic Catholic Church. You, my friend, can continue (as always) to drift around "in circles" in your bible only boat of distortions, lies and deceit---(one your own). NO ONE!! NOT ONE CATHOLIC--is buying the "National Inquirer" (fictitious) anti-catholic bible interpreting "hack" writers that you keep promoting!!!
Still making incorrect claims. Here are just two of the errors you pomote above:

a. I am Protestant
b. I am bible only

Both have been addressed multiple times, but you still can't seem to grasp the truth of both - I'm neither.

Take your hate elsewhere hojo, it only shows your ignorance and ego.

Let go of both if you truly are a follower of Jesus'.
- which at this point, is very hard to accept and swallow.

Typical Catholic.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#479515 Oct 1, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
..Most intelligent people believe we will be destroyed by a wayward asteroid long before Jesus decides to return. We have already had many near misses and close calls. Are you not paying attention?
KA!#$#%%@NG!!^^BOOOM!
Get prepared!
And the same intelligent people say the earth is heating up...global warming. Experts now say that's not so...the earth is actually cooling.

LOL....you believe the intelligent people when they say we will be destroyed by an asteroid but you don't believe in an Almighty Creator...silly Canadians!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#479516 Oct 1, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
NO ONE!! NOT ONE CATHOLIC--is buying the "National Inquirer" (fictitious) anti-catholic bible interpreting "hack" writers that you keep promoting!!!
This is false.

Please post where I've posted information from the "National Inquirer" or any "anti-Catholic bible interpreting 'hack' writers".

Making up things about others is "bearing false witness", thus you have broken a commandment, and now will need to repent.

Please see your priest immediately, if not sooner, as you are in dire need of their comfort now.

*sighs*

I'll pray for you.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#479517 Oct 1, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
OLDJG says..........The Roman Catholic Church is a notable exception. The official church teaching still opposes all forms of birth control except abstinence and the rhythm method, saying, "it is necessary that each and every marriage act remain ordered per se to the procreation of human life." However, polls show that only 15% of U.S. Roman Catholics view contraception as morally wrong.
......and! by far most roman catholics do not attend mandatory sunday mass weekly.........and! millions of roman catholics are divorced which goes against church teachings.......and more catholics everyday are in accepting of same sex marriage.
Do these examples of church rules that are broken by most catholics indicate a church out of touch with its followers and in crisis?
ABSOLUTELY!
It indicates many "Catholics" are out of touch with Christ and His Church. We're working hard to change that.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#479518 Oct 1, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It indicates many "Catholics" are out of touch with Christ and His Church. We're working hard to change that.
catholics are out of touch with Christ because they were told they started a relationship with Christ when they were 3 months old because of the faith of their parents. This is an absolute lie but when it's drilled into your head from a young age as truth, when you get older it gets to a point where your brain won't allow you to believe any other way.

good luck trying to change that.
Concerned in Brasil

Aberdeen, UK

#479519 Oct 1, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, I can always count on ad hominem attacks from you when you can't provide a cogent response.
Do they all agree?
Do they (and you) agree that;
"From the early days of the Church, baptism was universally perceived as the means of receiving four basic gifts: the remission of sins, deliverance from death, regeneration, and the bestowal of the Holy Spirit."
???
There isn't a protestant on this board, with the possible exception of PAD, who agrees.
My question is, if you do as you say "agree", what happens to people who AREN'T regenerated, bestowed with the Holy Spirit, have their sins remitted and delivered from death?
I don't know I am regenerate when you receive your fate give me a post.

Man oh man who greased the pig.

The Bible the Apostles taught teach us to baptize those who confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and Savior. They have to be cognitive and able to accept Jesus as Savior

That is biblical

NOT one biblical example of baptizing an infant just out the shoot so to speak not one.

Because they can't confess Jesus as Lord and Savior as explicitly taught in scripture ignored by the RCC because it contradicts man made tradition made up so they could make all in the land under the state and force them to pay taxes.

If I say to you my whole household voted today and we are to go by dumb dumb RCC illogical irrational thinking then we are to believe even the 2 month old the 2 year old and the 12 year old in my household voted because for RC dogma to be true you can't let the natural meaning of the words the metaphor ring true no the RC must pour into words RC man made traditional meanings some 100s if not 1000s of years later thought up so the RCC can maintain all control over the folk.

On you go on now little greased piggy I am sure you will shuck and dive and continue to avoid this posts Point as you have in the past with all those who point out the glaring contradictions of RCC's so called holy Tradition.

Your mind will focus on a miss spelled word or some punctuation mistake and throw the baby out with the bath water once again.

Don't worry you can't help it that is what pharisees do major on the minor and ignore everything else.
marge

Ames, IA

#479520 Oct 1, 2013
The most frequent objections to the belief that a Christian cannot lose salvation are 1) What about those who are Christians and continually live an immoral lifestyle? 2) What about those who are Christians but later reject the faith and deny Christ? The problem with these two objections is the phrase “who are Christians.” The Bible declares that a true Christian will not live a continually immoral lifestyle (1 John 3:6). The Bible declares that anyone who departs the faith is demonstrating that he never truly was a Christian (1 John 2:19). Therefore, neither objection is valid. Christians do not continually live immoral lifestyles, nor do they reject the faith and deny Christ. Such actions are proof that they were never redeemed.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-lose-sa...

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#479521 Oct 1, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
No Ox!! You just love "lying" to yourself and to others with your bible only Protestant Propaganda!!!
Keep on keeping on calling your pope a liar!!!! Ah love it!!!!!

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#479522 Oct 1, 2013
marge wrote:
The most frequent objections to the belief that a Christian cannot lose salvation are 1) What about those who are Christians and continually live an immoral lifestyle? 2) What about those who are Christians but later reject the faith and deny Christ? The problem with these two objections is the phrase “who are Christians.” The Bible declares that a true Christian will not live a continually immoral lifestyle (1 John 3:6). The Bible declares that anyone who departs the faith is demonstrating that he never truly was a Christian (1 John 2:19). Therefore, neither objection is valid. Christians do not continually live immoral lifestyles, nor do they reject the faith and deny Christ. Such actions are proof that they were never redeemed.
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-lose-sa...
seems mighty strange to me that you claim to be a Christian yet you harass a many who just has went through some very scary times, even close to death,

YET YOU REMAIN SILENT WHEN ONE OF YOUR OWN(osas) TELLS DIRTY JOKES ON A PUBLIC FORUM.

let that judge you, not some link.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#479523 Oct 1, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Ox there is an entirely different world out there.
You talked of friendship...is it not customary to answer a friend's question in any civil discussion????

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#479524 Oct 1, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
catholics are out of touch with Christ because they were told they started a relationship with Christ when they were 3 months old because of the faith of their parents. This is an absolute lie but when it's drilled into your head from a young age as truth, when you get older it gets to a point where your brain won't allow you to believe any other way.
good luck trying to change that.
~~~

Psa_127:1 Except the LORD build the house,

they labour in vain that build it:

except the LORD keep the city,

the watchman waketh but in vain.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#479525 Oct 1, 2013
I want to say that chuck who believes in OSAS doesn't support the distribution of filth on this forum.

I have that confidence in him that I can say that.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#479526 Oct 1, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your defense of the pope's position on this is much appreciated Nick, however Oxbow has an agenda and telling him the truth just gets in the way. I find it best to ignore him.
You don't respond because you cannot face facts...the truth..

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Read the article. He's saying if a bank robber is bound and determined to rob a bank at gunpoint no matter what you say or do to stop him, it's morally acceptable to try and convince him to do it without bullets so as to keep him from killing anyone. If he agrees, he at least takes a step towards recognizing the value of life.
----

Show me, any place in any Bible, where God made an exception to His commandment regarding stealing...or any other of the nine.....

Thou shalt not steal...

He never said "Its O.k. to steal if you do it in a way that no one gets killed!!!!!?????"
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#479527 Oct 1, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
catholics are out of touch with Christ because they were told they started a relationship with Christ when they were 3 months old because of the faith of their parents. This is an absolute lie but when it's drilled into your head from a young age as truth, when you get older it gets to a point where your brain won't allow you to believe any other way.
good luck trying to change that.
Evangelical fundamentalist William Webster says ""From the early days of the Church, baptism was universally perceived as the means of receiving four basic gifts: the remission of sins, deliverance from death, regeneration, and the bestowal of the Holy Spirit."

Even someone who thinks like you and hates the Catholic Church agrees that this was the faith of the early Church.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#479528 Oct 1, 2013
OldJG wrote:
A pastor's wife was expecting a baby, so he stood before the congregation and asked for a raise.
After much discussion, they passed a rule that whenever the preacher's family expanded, so would his paycheck.
After 6 children, this started to get expensive and the congregation decided to hold another meeting to discuss the preacher's expanding salary. A great deal of yelling and inner bickering ensued, as to how much the clergyman's additional children were costing the church, and how much more it could potentially cost.
After listening to them for about an hour, the pastor rose from his chair and spoke,'Children are a gift from God, and we will take as many gifts as He gives us'. Complete silence fell on the congregation.
From the back pew, a little old lady struggled to stand, and finally said in her litte frail voice,'Rain is also a gift from God, but when we get too much of it, we wear rubbers..'
The entire congregation said,'Amen..'
<quoted text>
This is a joke. You know, HUMOR! Sorry it offended you.
<quoted text>
For the record, does everything you say and do bring glory to God? Apparently you believe God is somehow being glorified with your post to me. Is that your contention?
Do you know the definition of self-righteous? Look it up. It will help you understand yourself.
<quoted text>
Yes, I am a deacon in MY Lord's church.
You said, quote, "what does your post say to others as you hold a position in the Lord's church as a deacon?" End quote.
It says I can laugh and have a sense of humor. The joke is not dirty......you are.
You said, quote, "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." End quote.
Be imitators of you????? REALLY!!
<quoted text>
So-called deacib? No, a "called" deacon. You on the other hand make a statement and the statement you make is from the Bible yet you do not credit the Bible. Your silence credits you.
This is how you do it "Oh, my, my....."
I Corinthians 11:1, "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ."
who="atemcowboy"] <quoted text>no wonder that you think that filth is godly. deacons are appointed, not "called" by God.
and you have been rebuked by TWO ministers, both offices are higher than the one that you think that you own.
pay attention and obey those above you.
You are "ABOVE" no one. In my church deacons are "called" just as you were called and then appointed. With no church to be called to there can be no appointment.
You glorify yourself, the created, at the expense of glorifing the Creator. You point people to you and not Jesus. The following verses best describe the kind of man you are, a self indulging pastor who has elevated himself so high he looks down at everyone. Congratulations.
READ.....
Romans 8:16-17, 16 "The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him."
Philippians 2:3, "Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves."
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#479529 Oct 1, 2013
Concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know I am regenerate when you receive your fate give me a post.
Man oh man who greased the pig.
The Bible the Apostles taught teach us to baptize those who confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and Savior. They have to be cognitive and able to accept Jesus as Savior
That is biblical
NOT one biblical example of baptizing an infant just out the shoot so to speak not one.
Because they can't confess Jesus as Lord and Savior as explicitly taught in scripture ignored by the RCC because it contradicts man made tradition made up so they could make all in the land under the state and force them to pay taxes.
If I say to you my whole household voted today and we are to go by dumb dumb RCC illogical irrational thinking then we are to believe even the 2 month old the 2 year old and the 12 year old in my household voted because for RC dogma to be true you can't let the natural meaning of the words the metaphor ring true no the RC must pour into words RC man made traditional meanings some 100s if not 1000s of years later thought up so the RCC can maintain all control over the folk.
On you go on now little greased piggy I am sure you will shuck and dive and continue to avoid this posts Point as you have in the past with all those who point out the glaring contradictions of RCC's so called holy Tradition.
Your mind will focus on a miss spelled word or some punctuation mistake and throw the baby out with the bath water once again.
Don't worry you can't help it that is what pharisees do major on the minor and ignore everything else.
Thanks once again CIB.

You're still avoiding my inquiry. Do you and the other protestants here agree that baptism is the "means of receiving four basic gifts: the remission of sins, deliverance from death, regeneration, and the bestowal of the Holy Spirit."
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#479530 Oct 1, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>seems mighty strange to me that you claim to be a Christian yet you harass a many who just has went through some very scary times, even close to death,
YET YOU REMAIN SILENT WHEN ONE OF YOUR OWN(osas) TELLS DIRTY JOKES ON A PUBLIC FORUM.
let that judge you, not some link.
Dirty joke? What part of the joke was dirty? The sex part? Is sex dirty? Sex between married men and women. Is that the dirty part you keep rolling around in your dirty little mind. You seek to divide the flock at your biding. Believers, real born again believers do no such thing. What does that say about you pastor?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#479531 Oct 1, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
I want to say that chuck who believes in OSAS doesn't support the distribution of filth on this forum.
I have that confidence in him that I can say that.
Your confidence is in him and not in the Lord. Yes, now it all makes sense. What denomination are you associated with? The Church of Monday Night Football?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Happy Lesbo 831,066
5 tips to increase your chances of conception 10 min tips to 1
autism (arsenic poisoning) ??? (Oct '08) 33 min dsbsnag 20
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 46 min Paul Porter1 99,342
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 59 min Citren 3,028
Have you ever farted and poop came out? (Jul '09) 1 hr Encryption 33
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Mike duck it 5,849
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr The swamiji 6,442
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr waaasssuuup 442,984
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 hr Porkpie Hat 270,841
More from around the web