Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665429 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#479736 Oct 2, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>A symbolic traditional gesture of obedience eventually is a cheap shot at what baptism really is Anthony. Now your tradition claims that infant baptism regenerates and removes sin.Although I understand that in the human reasoning of things,and I can understand the prot concept as you stated which eventually boils down to tradition and rote practice as well.All human concepts of what was instituted by our Lord.
Baptism represents Christ's burial,and resurrection.And in the light of that is true baptism.The soul that repents first receives cleansing from the very foot of the Cross,and the shed Blood of our Lord Jesus,Baptism is the burial of that believer with Christ,and when he or she comes out of the Water of regeneration,they are resurrected unto the New Life in Christ.
That is Baptism,it is Christ,Christ and more of Him,which includes the limitless sphere of His changing grace toward us as believers who come to Him by faith,Repent of our sins,and proceed into the waters of Baptism to fulfill what Christ has done in us.
Human reasoning,and cheap practices do not explain the eternal significance of Baptism,Paul did,and we do every time one repents and is baptized for the remission of sins.
You can say that our Communion is some symbolic practice that completely gives us nothing at all,because you believe in Transubstantiation.
The truth is,The very memorial of His Holy and very significant D E A T H supersedes any human reasoning as to what is done to practice Holy Communion.Some of the most profound and very spiritual awakenings in the non-Catholic communities have been at the Communion Table.It is about what Christ suffered and died,and the spiritual awareness of that fact is limitless in comparison to our very limited framework of reference on any subject for that matter.Christ can of the most simple of elements awaken in His followers the deepest of spiritual essence. Our communion services could be rote,and so can yours,but when the Spirit of the LORD is present,He gives life to anything that He chooses to give life to.The dry bones in Ezekiel were given life by the LORD,and look what happened,He raised an army.
Anthony it is not about our C h u r c h practice,or even about whether we so believe it is doctrine and truth,it is about Him WHO gives to us undeserving sinners who have entered into the GATE of Him who purchased us with His own Blood. He makes the difference,and as you have heard more recently an expression well said,"It is not about us,it is about Him." Cheap communion is about us,but Holy Communion is about Him.
Forgive me for being a bit confused Dan, but are you saying baptism remits sin and regenerates only if it's preceded by repentence and acceptance of Christ by a cognitive person? And is there something other than symbolism in the action of the water and the invocation of the Blessed Trinity?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#479737 Oct 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you're sayin, Chuck. I do. But Christ set the Church up with the attention that two adults already Baptized into the Church, would bring forth their child to also be baptized into the Church, just like two Jewish parents bring forth the child to be circumcised. And the fact is, you can not show one single verse that says infants are NOT TO BE BAPTIZED. All of Christianity and the first couple waves of Protestantism did this.
I honestly believe its the will of the devil to prevent parents from bringing forth their baby for Baptism. That's why your new take on Baptism is, well....new. It wasn't taught in Christendom for 1800 yrs.
You haven't a clue what I'm saying.

but I knew you wouldn't let me down with this: It wasn't taught in Christendom for 1800 yrs.

This is your go to when you have said something dumb.
Concerned in Brasil

Aberdeen, UK

#479738 Oct 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
Ah! So, it was not merely this woman's faith. Rather, it was the woman's faith in combination with a very real power bestowed by Jesus. Thus, how can we say that Baptism is any different???
For example, would the proponents of "symbolic Baptism" suggest that the Lord's power to heal was somehow "magical" or "superstitious"? I doubt they would.:-) Yet, that is exactly what they say in regard to Baptismal regeneration.
Yet, didn't Jesus commission His disciples to Baptize in His name (Matt 28:19)? Just as he commissioned them to heal and cast out demons in His name, right?:-)
So, then, if Jesus' miracles (and those of His disciples) were acts of regeneration, so is His Sacrament of Baptism. Indeed, it cannot be otherwise, UNLESS
(a) One wishes to say that Jesus possessed no personal power to heal or perform miracles, but that these miracles were merely "psychosomatic" responses from those who believed in Him, OR...
(b) Despite Mark 2:1-12, etc., Jesus' healing miracles had no connection to the forgiveness of sins (and, thus, Jesus made people physically whole while leaving them spiritually alienated from the Father -- a ridiculous proposition).
Yet, if one takes either of these positions, one must also be willing to ignore the Scriptures (viz. Mark 2:1-12 & Mark 5:30).
As for the orthodox Christian understanding of Baptism (that of Baptismal regeneration), we recognize that Christ still touches people through the ministry of His Church. In this, we recognize that two things are necessary for salvation:
(1) Christ's free offer of salvation, and ...
(2) Our willing acceptance of this free offer of salvation.
If this were not the case (i.e. if #2 above was not necessary), then everyone who ever existed would have been automatically saved when Jesus died on the Cross (1 Tim 2:4). And it is in the realm of #2 which our faith comes in.
Yet,#1 is also an intimate reality for those of us who understand the Traditional doctrine of Baptismal regeneration. In this, Christ does not merely offer us salvation through a promise made 2000 years ago. Rather, He offers it to us in personal intimacy through the Sacrament of His Church. And, through this Sacrament, He touches us directly, just as He directly touched the paralytic and the woman with the hemorrhage. And, thus, in Baptism, we have
(1) Christ's healing power, through the ministry of His Body (the Church), touching us and making us whole, and ...
(2) Our faith in Christ moving us to accept this healing power.
And this is how Christ takes us unto Himself.
So, according to the Scriptures, Baptism is regenerational, sacramental, and intrinsic to one's acceptance of Christ. For, as the Lord says, it cannot be otherwise:
"Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit." -- John 3:5
Mark J. Bonocore
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a25.htm
Just wondering oh great Pharisee of Pharisees, was that a three post 6000 word FLOOD of Spam like you chastised me for???

Best tell you now that is Sarcasm, forgot about your inability to pick up on the Idioms and meanings of language.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#479739 Oct 2, 2013
Concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
Its important you know you don't have the authority to decided who has the authority to decide.
If we give the authority to the RCC we get unbiblical doctrine upon unbiblical doctrine to the point the RCC literal formed a priesthood specifically to carry torture and murder and the end game is some 20 million souls murder conservatively in some 500 years all in the name of Man made tradition so they could keep control and keep the Taxes rolling on into Rome for debauchery drunkenness on and On ON it went.
When the RCC has the authority we get Papal armies sacking Christian cities with the Pope giving the armies absolution before they attack to rape pillage and destroy.
The last person on earth to judge who has the authority to rightly divide the word of God is a Roman Catholic Zealot who believes in Man made Tradition that over rules the plain teachings of the Bible.
IT IS Finished Jesus declared in the inerrant word of God, for true Christians that is but for the RC the sacrifices that are an abomination before Jesus himself go on weekly.
By what authority do you decide a doctrine is unbiblical? What do you say to another protestant who says he's led by scripture and the Holy Spirit to declare your doctrine unbiblical?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#479740 Oct 2, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Very obvious...that's the first thing everyone notices who comes to this board. Don't let that thing bother you, it and the rest of the non-Catholics have the foulest, most abusive mouths I've ever heard. Every single one of them. Then they sit back and tell us about how God is always with them. Uh-huh. They should try a little more publican and lot less pharisee.
We love you Regina. Even if you do lie...lol

The one who cusses (you) sticks up for another who cusses. How sweet.
Clay

Washington, DC

#479741 Oct 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Its important you know you don't have the authority to decided who has the authority to decide.
If we give the authority to the RCC we get unbiblical doctrine upon unbiblical doctrine to the point the RCC literal formed a priesthood specifically to carry torture and murder and the end game is some 20 million souls murder conservatively in some 500 years all in the name of Man made tradition so they could keep control and keep the Taxes rolling on into Rome for debauchery drunkenness on and On ON it went.
When the RCC has the authority we get Papal armies sacking Christian cities with the Pope giving the armies absolution before they attack to rape pillage and destroy.
The last person on earth to judge who has the authority to rightly divide the word of God is a Roman Catholic Zealot who believes in Man made Tradition that over rules the plain teachings of the Bible.
IT IS Finished Jesus declared in the inerrant word of God, for true Christians that is but for the RC the sacrifices that are an abomination before Jesus himself go on weekly.
Jesus Christ didn't set up a canon of scripture, He set up a Church. This Church later determined a list of Books that they considered inspired.
Now, unless you were responsible for gathering, editing, compiling and labeling these Books; and your monks hand copied them so Churches throughout Christendom could read it aloud at Holy Mass; unless you published these Books in 1452, and brought the 'family Bible' to the world.... unless you did all this, the Books do not belong to you for interpretations of the Ministry of Jesus Christ. I don't believe you actually believe, that Jesus chose this method to bring truth the world. There are allot of logical problems with the fundie scenario on how Jesus distributed truth to us.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#479743 Oct 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Just wondering oh great Pharisee of Pharisees, was that a three post 6000 word FLOOD of Spam like you chastised me for???
Best tell you now that is Sarcasm, forgot about your inability to pick up on the Idioms and meanings of language.
You spammed me with pages of Webster's opinions when, if you knew me, would know that I always read links people provide, in fact, I've read lots of stuff written by Webster. On the other hand, I will, occasionally, paste an article here for people who ask a question, but refuse to examine the link I provide. Big difference.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#479744 Oct 2, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
We love you Regina. Even if you do lie...lol
The one who cusses (you) sticks up for another who cusses. How sweet.
Good, I'm glad you recognized yourself in my post! Your anger is the first step toward recovery. Unfortunately, you've not gotten past it. Get help, it's available for you. In the meantime, we're making allowances for you as you continue in your abuse. But it won't last forever, so do make more of an effort.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#479745 Oct 2, 2013
Again---I am saying that the "written WORD of God, as we know it (in the bible today, NEVER EXISTED until the Early Church Fathers, gave us the bible in 383,392, and 397AD. When Jesus Christ initiated HIS 1st Church at Antioch

YOU DON'T KNOW GOD'S WORD...BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW THE ONE WHO WROTE IT..

YOUR EARLY CHURCH FATHERS ...DO NOT HAVE PRECEDENCE OVER

JESUS...

HE IS THE WORD OF THE FATHER MADE FLESH...THE LIVING WORD..

Joh_1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

YOU CLAIM THAT YOU Fathers invented Jesus,,,

JESUS SAID...

Joh_5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing:

the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

THE WORD OF YOU FATHERS ARE NOT THE SAME AS THE WORD'S OF JESUS...

THEY HAVE NO LIFE IN THEM...THEY ARE DEATH ,,,NOT LIFE...

YOUR (so called holy fathers ) have nothing to do with CHRISTIANITY...

THEY DID NOT SHED ONE DROP OF BLOOD FOR THE SALVATION OF ANY ONE...

THEY ARE CORRUPTIBLE MEN SUCH AS YOUR SELF..

THEIR OPINIONS ARE MOOT.

Jesus is the author and finisher of the CHRISTIAN FAITH...

Heb_12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

---

YOUR (so called) holy fathers teach that there is a purgatory after death...which is a blatant contradiction of the words of JESUS...

There aint no such place..

after death there is no second chance..

SO YOU BETTER GET IT RIGHT NOW...

JESUS SAID
Rev 22:11 He that is unjust,

let him be unjust still: and

he which is filthy,

let him be filthy still: and

he that is righteous,

let him be righteous still: and

he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments,

that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

YOU LOVE YOUR LIES AND SWEAR TO THEM ..

Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

YOU BEST PAY ATTENTIONS TO WHAT JESUS SAID..
AND FORSAKE YOUR LIES...

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#479746 Oct 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Is baptism just a symbolic gesture of obedience to you or do you believe it actually does something?
Jesus,said ..Peer Said

Believe and be baptized

Repent (because you believe ) and Be baptized

I believe we ate washed clean by the BLOOD of our Saviour

Baptism is the sign He gave us,to show we have died to sin..live in Christ ...

We accept he free,gift of faith ...when are baptized ..
.in obedience .

If s,person has,an accident ..has been on the fence ..bring called by the Spirit . Can he be saved at the last ..like the field workers,.
We are,told yes ..no baptism ..

Now,in thinking on this .

If one is baptized as a,baby ..is taught his is sufficient

Comes to rue FAITH in your Saviuor ..at some point ..
They are,BORN of the SPIRIT ..I believe they will be saved .
The Spirit comes to us WHERE WE ARE,...when He chooses ..how,He chooses ..And we,are judged by what we know .

If Our hearts,..And souls and Spirits are with Him.in Union... it's His judge ..
Clay

Washington, DC

#479747 Oct 2, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't a clue what I'm saying.
but I knew you wouldn't let me down with this: It wasn't taught in Christendom for 1800 yrs.
This is your go to when you have said something dumb.
well, it wasn't Chuck. That should be a huge red flag to you. This means your opinion on Baptism came from men like you, who picked up the Bible and formed their own Christianity.

Next, I'll remind you that there are two to three new protestant 'churches' that form every week. Each one claiming to be led to Biblical truth by the Holy Spirit.
Now I'll remind you how ridiculous it is to believe Jesus Christ wills for truth to be articulated to humanity using your method.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#479748 Oct 2, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, I'm glad you recognized yourself in my post! Your anger is the first step toward recovery. Unfortunately, you've not gotten past it. Get help, it's available for you. In the meantime, we're making allowances for you as you continue in your abuse. But it won't last forever, so do make more of an effort.
I can make an allowance with you Regina. How you ever cussed on this forum? Whether it was an actually word or just the initials of a cuss word?

Here is your chance and then we can bury it.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#479749 Oct 2, 2013
Catholic wrote:
<quoted text>
I may not agree with the public statement, but I do believe in its ideology.
Catholicism reigns supreme as a religion.
As a religion...yes, it is the largest. As for relationship....no relationship. Mary reigns supreme. Statue after statue after statue of "your" beloved mother Mary. She is exalted above all things. How sad and lost.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#479750 Oct 2, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus,said ..Peer Said
Believe and be baptized
Repent (because you believe ) and Be baptized
I believe we ate washed clean by the BLOOD of our Saviour
Baptism is the sign He gave us,to show we have died to sin..live in Christ ...
We accept he free,gift of faith ...when are baptized ..
.in obedience .
If s,person has,an accident ..has been on the fence ..bring called by the Spirit . Can he be saved at the last ..like the field workers,.
We are,told yes ..no baptism ..
Now,in thinking on this .
If one is baptized as a,baby ..is taught his is sufficient
Comes to rue FAITH in your Saviuor ..at some point ..
They are,BORN of the SPIRIT ..I believe they will be saved .
The Spirit comes to us WHERE WE ARE,...when He chooses ..how,He chooses ..And we,are judged by what we know .
If Our hearts,..And souls and Spirits are with Him.in Union... it's His judge ..
So you believe it's a symbolic gesture, and don't believe it actually does anything.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#479751 Oct 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
"Therefore who helps us in understanding Holy Scripture and who guides us? First the Holy Spirit and secondly Tradition and the Holy Fathers over the many centuries which have helped with the interpretations of the Bible."
You gave Christ His walking papers????!!!!! What happened????
==========

Did I fall down the Rabbit Hole?

I SAID I use Christ for guidance. You criticized this and said you use the Word.

YOU SAID #479705
You are welcome to follow your meology...I will follow the Word of God:

CHRISTIANS DO NOT SEEK THE GUIDANCE OF CHRIST...no need...we rely on, accept, and live by His promise:
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Evidently you don't live by His Word....

ANSWERING PAD I SAID:

SCRIPTURES always come first- Over tradition, Over any other source
Therefore who helps us in understanding Holy Scripture and who guides us? First the Holy Spirit and secondly Tradition and the Holy Fathers over the many centuries which have helped with the interpretations of the Bible.
The Fathers can err.
The only Fathers' writings that are accepted are those backed by Scripture. The Fathers quote very very extensively from Scripture to back their statements.

YOU SAID:#479732
"You gave Christ His walking papers????!!!!! What happened????"

Location hidden

#479752 Oct 2, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I said I use Christ for guidance. You criticized this and said you use the Word.Thats all. I am studying. No time for roundy rounders
"Therefore who helps us in understanding Holy Scripture and who guides us? First the Holy Spirit and secondly Tradition and the Holy Fathers over the many centuries which have helped with the interpretations of the Bible."

You gave Christ His walking papers????!!!!! What happened????

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#479753 Oct 2, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
Forgive me for being a bit confused Dan, but are you saying baptism remits sin and regenerates only if it's preceded by repentence and acceptance of Christ by a cognitive person? And is there something other than symbolism in the action of the water and the invocation of the Blessed Trinity?

----------
Every sensible parent bathes (baptizes) their children...regardless of their religious beliefs. It does not make the child a 'Christian'.(Even atheists do this 'act of cleansing'.)
Concerned in Brasil

Aberdeen, UK

#479754 Oct 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
By what authority do you decide a doctrine is unbiblical? What do you say to another protestant who says he's led by scripture and the Holy Spirit to declare your doctrine unbiblical?
I understand you have no defense for the RCC, your sect being the one true deposit of faith with an unbroken Apostolic line is one big fat lie.

RCC history tells us so with out doubt.

YOU keep going in circles and you keep refusing to acknowledge the emperor has no clothes.

Your post is a diversion and nothing more, a way for you to try and change the subject.

I don't play games.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#479755 Oct 2, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I can make an allowance with you Regina. How you ever cussed on this forum? Whether it was an actually word or just the initials of a cuss word?
Here is your chance and then we can bury it.
Not so fast. What game is this you play? You've been continually foul-mouthed and abusive to me and every other Catholic on this board. You've also regularly given a pass to and condoned the abuse of Catholics by others. To your detriment, you've taken lessons from your mentor, so your question is dishonest. An apology from you will certainly bury it.
Concerned in Brasil

Aberdeen, UK

#479756 Oct 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You spammed me with pages of Webster's opinions when, if you knew me, would know that I always read links people provide, in fact, I've read lots of stuff written by Webster. On the other hand, I will, occasionally, paste an article here for people who ask a question, but refuse to examine the link I provide. Big difference.
Oh pharisee of Pharisees I see you have rules for everybody else that don't apply to you and then one rule for yourself, I can do what ever I want.

You'd make a good Pope your hypocrisy is top quality..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min RiversideRedneck 977,422
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 5 min RiversideRedneck 243
Liberals say INCEST marriage is okay 6 min Guest appearance 2
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min Scaritual 88,323
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 45,844
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 284,610
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Ricky F 184,766
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 2 hr Joe Fortuna 619
The Future of Politics in America 8 hr Buck Crick 270
More from around the web