Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
462,441 - 462,460 of 537,310 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Gods R Delusions wrote:
<quoted text>
Close. Free mind, yes, plain jane not even close. Try paying better attention. This was all announced.
For one who claims to have the answers to the greatest mysteries in the universe, you sure worry about petty things.
So why was Mary left almost completely out of the Gospels? Ummm?
Kindly show me where I claim to have "the answers to the greatest mysteries in the universe". Still spinning and twisting, eh, BM? Haven't changed a bit, still with the hatred.

The Gospels are about Christ and the message of salvation. How many times have you been corrected now....100, 200? You might want to think about changing the record, your needle is stuck.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Gods R Delusions wrote:
Sunday is no day of rest here.
It's a day of hatred.
More evidence that their gods are delusions.
Actually, not evidence at all. People sin, God does not. We are not God. So gods are delusions, but God is not.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Baltimore Catechism No. 3 Discusses Limbo Article Whatever Happened to Limbo?
Source:America National Catholic Review
http://americamagazine.org/issue/365/article/...

Though limbo was never officially defined in any church council or document, it became, like other unchallenged elements of the Christian worldview, a part of the common teaching and almost universal catechesis of the church. Since the late 19th century, IT WAS WRITTEN ON THE PSYCHE OF EVERY YOUNG CATHOLIC THROUGH THE BALTIMORE CATECHISM. FOR EXAMPLE, BALTIMORE CATECHISM NO. 3 STATES, WITH ITS USUAL AIR OF CERTAINTY: PERSONS, SUCH AS INFANTS, WHO HAVE NOT COMMITTED ACTUAL SIN AND WHO, THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIRS, DIE WITHOUT BAPTISM, CANNOT ENTER HEAVEN; BUT IT IS THE COMMON BELIEF THEY WILL GO TO SOME PLACE SIMILAR TO LIMBO, WHERE THEY WILL BE FREE FROM SUFFERING, THOUGH DEPRIVED OF THE HAPPINESS OF HEAVEN (Q. 632). Most Catholics, of course, made no distinction between defined doctrines and what appeared in the catechism. It was all church teaching, to be accepted without question.

Limbo never been a defined part of the faith but being taught in Catholic schools through the 1950s.

Article: Catholic Church Casts Aside Theory On State Of Limbo
Refers to: Monsignor William H. Shannon of Rochester, N.Y: Jesuit weekly magazine America

THAT THINKING IS AN ABOUT-FACE FROM WHAT WAS BEING TAUGHT IN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS THROUGH THE 1950S.

"Limbo has never been a defined part of the faith. There has never been a dogmatic definition of limbo," said the Rev. Richard P. McBrien, a priest from Hartford who teaches theology at the University of Notre Dame and author of "Catholicism," a summary of church teaching.
Gods R Delusions

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Kindly show me where I claim to have "the answers to the greatest mysteries in the universe". Still spinning and twisting, eh, BM? Haven't changed a bit, still with the hatred.
The Gospels are about Christ and the message of salvation. How many times have you been corrected now....100, 200? You might want to think about changing the record, your needle is stuck.
You're too nice.... and modest too.

You proclaim possession of God's "perfect teachings on faith and morals" right?

Perfect teachings! That's impressive. No doubts either. Wow, but how do you put these perfect moral teachings to work?

With so much insight into th

e greatest mysteries in the Universe, why get so surly and nasty? Why not show us the results of your "perfect teachings" on morals? Why not use those perfect teachings to lead by example, rather than getting so testy?

You can do it.
Gods R Delusions

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, not evidence at all. People sin, God does not. We are not God. So gods are delusions, but God is not.
Then we agree on 95% of all of mankind's religious dogma. It's all delusion, except for your "one true" 5%.

But you don't believe it enough to live it. That seems to be the majority position here, wouldn't you say?
Gods R Delusions

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, it wasn't my best move. It was very difficult, however, to read about that and then two minutes later come here and read yet another attack on the very Church that had just suffered such a tragedy in Pakistan. This is the same church, these are the same souls, the mystical Body of Christ, that is being attacked on this board every single day. Just as you, yourself, couldn't help but take a cheap shot in your post above after reading the article. Also very weak, very weak indeed. But I doubt we'll get anything more from you than another snotty reply.
Then it appears Plain Jane went to the same school you did. Your posts are identical. Close, real close.
Fact: I never read the article that you refer to.

Fact: I never wrote anything about it.

I only commented on how you used a tragedy to attack someone else. That was rich.

Now the excuses. It must be nice to possess such perfect teachings on morals. Such insights! You can do much better.
Tmiester

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

What a bunch of malarky..........Just a large group of brainwashed fools thinking they are a religion.
Patriot

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Romans 8 http://biblehub.com/niv/romans/8.htm

"We are not obligated to the flesh to live according to the flesh, for if you live according to the flesh, you are going to die. But if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. All those led by GOD'S Spirit are GOD'S sons. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out,“Abba, Father!” The Spirit Himself testifies together with our spirit that we are GOD'S children, and if children, also heirs; heirs of GOD and coheirs with Christ; seeing that we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him." vs 12-17

http://biblehub.com/revelation/18-4.htm

----

History reveals that the advancement of truth comes at a high price, and a majority of people are unwilling to pay the price. It is much more comfortable to remain within the social and religious comforts of fellowship than to follow the Spirit into the desert of rejection where often, you are alone with GOD. The Bible represents people as sheep for good reason. They prefer to flock together. They also tend to follow their leaders (political and religious) without thinking or thoroughly studying matters for themselves. Consider the total sum of religious thought that Hindus, Moslems, Catholics, Jews, Protestants, atheists and pagans believe today. All of these different ideas about GOD came from spiritual leaders who are as blind as the lay people they guide.(Matthew 23:16)

Humanity’s diversity in religious beliefs proves that people are capable of believing anything and everything. Our diversity also proves that our belief systems have nothing to do with Eternal Truth. Even though Catholics and Protestants insist their views come directly from Scripture, a cursory review of Scripture can demonstrate otherwise. Truth is not determined by a majority vote or acceptance. Thoughtfully consider these words: "Truth is not what I believe. Truth is not even what I know. Truth is fact. I may not believe it. I may not know it. That does not change it. It is there nevertheless, waiting to be discovered and believed. Truth does not depend on the unsettled and changing opinions of men. It was truth before it was believed. It remains truth whether it is believed or not. Reason does not originate or create it. It merely discovers it. Consequently, reason is not a source. Truth goes back beyond reason. Others would have us believe that the church is the source of authority, particularly in matters of theology. They are wrong. The church is the product of Truth. It does not originate it. It came into being by accepting Divine Revelation. It is not the source of that revelation. Truth goes beyond the church, it is antecedent to it."
(When a Man Dies, Carlyle B. Haynes (1882-1958); p.5)
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Gods R Delusions wrote:
<quoted text>
You're too nice.... and modest too.
You proclaim possession of God's "perfect teachings on faith and morals" right?
Perfect teachings! That's impressive. No doubts either. Wow, but how do you put these perfect moral teachings to work?
With so much insight into th
e greatest mysteries in the Universe, why get so surly and nasty? Why not show us the results of your "perfect teachings" on morals? Why not use those perfect teachings to lead by example, rather than getting so testy?
You can do it.
"Perfect teachings on faith and morals"????
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Gods R Delusions wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact: I never read the article that you refer to.
Fact: I never wrote anything about it.
I only commented on how you used a tragedy to attack someone else. That was rich.
Now the excuses. It must be nice to possess such perfect teachings on morals. Such insights! You can do much better.
Please don't presume to lecture me about using tragedy to attack while you've made a career of standing on the shoulders of victims for years in an attempt to attack the Church and her members. You don't care one whit about those people in Pakistan or those victims, so please stop using them to attack *me*. If I was Mother Teresa, you'd be just as snide. Oh, wait, you already were when you attacked her numerous times in the past. Just as I predicted, nothing more than another snotty reply from you. So sincere...a sincere hypocrite. Go take Jane out for a drink, I'm sure he could use one right about now.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

SIGNS IN THE HEAVENS: Ohioans were dazzled by a bright flash of blue light in the night sky on September 27, 2013, in southern Ohio around 11:30 p.m., eastern standard time. Could it have been a meteorite or a satellite predicted to crash to earth on Friday? A fireball reportedly hit near a home in northern Adams County, Ohio, a few miles outside the city of Peebles causing a house fire. Those reports are unconfirmed. The six alarm fire left fireman battling the blaze into the early hours of the morning. It is unknown at this time if the residents made it out safely. A neighbor said the meteor crossed over the city and hit near the Locust Grove Cemetery just four miles from the Great Serpent Effigy Mound. In recent years, a crop circle appeared overnight in an adjacent field from the Serpent Mound grounds and thousands of years ago it was the sight of a major meteorite that caused a huge crater. To report a meteor go to the American Meteors Society webpage. Come back for further updates on this situation.

Update: As of the morning of September 28, 2013, a home outside of Peebles, Ohio, in the Locust Grove area of Adams County burned to the ground last night, the two residents of the home, an elderly couple, Jane and Lyle Lambert, died as a result of smoke inhalation. The fire is believed to be caused from the meteor or pieces of the heated meteor that hit the home. The state fire marshal is investigating the fire. Examiner.com

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

a KEY ally of Obama. this makes sense?

The Hyatt Gun Shop of Charlotte, N.C., has been doing business for the last four years with a subsidiary of Visa — a key Obama campaign donor — that specializes in credit card transactions. But the subsidiary, Authorize.net/CyberSource , reportedly has ended its relationship with the nation’s largest gun store for a reason that might get you scratching your head. Because the Hyatt Gun Shop sells, well, guns. The Authorize.net email said that gun sales violated a section of the service agreement it signed with the gun shop, reportedly after Hyatt detailed its sales and products — and, you know, its name – according to the Washington Examiner.“We’ve never seen anything like this,” said Justin Anderson, Hyatt’s marketing director, who added it took a week and thousands of dollars to line up a “gun friendly” credit card processor for online sales. More
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay, it would be hard to believe her first language is English. I do believe that she in a nominal way was helped tremendously in her youth, but she did lack a deep understanding. It is good to see a renewal of deeper teaching in the church. It only takes one generation to become lax and knowledge of the truth dissipates. It happened in Israel as well. The church of Ephesus in Revelation no longer exists. What Rose doesnt understand is that she is indirectly calling Catholics liars by demanding the church changed her perceptions and assigning infallibility to theologium.
We all know that Limbo was not a dogma, but she insists that the church changed that as an infallbable teaching. G.K. Chesterton one of the greatest intellectuals known to the world when he crushed Clarence Darrow in debate long before Rose was born did not insist the church demands a literal 6 days or that Genesis be literal. He understood and had a much more intellectual and deeper understing of the churches position. The church is not a science or history book. So when Rose demands that we changed her flawed perceptions. Chesterton is just one glaring example of how rigid and flawed her position is. It would seem a waste of time though. Rather than learn or even try to understand or accept any explanation one must conclude that all are liars except her as sad as that is. She only seeks that which will further her view not truly try to understand another position but assign new perceptions and make false statements and claim everyone bears false witness against her. She is just responding with emotion rather than intellect. I doubt she will ever go to catholic answers as her propensity has been to garner anti-catholic pamphlets and make her own conclusions with no balance. Pray for her, because I think in her heart she doesnt really mean harm, but anger takes over and pushes to further seperation and darkness.
This article was given to me from a Jewish friend if you are interested.
ABSTRACT: For the past century, the Biblical Creation story has come under considerable scrutiny and derision by the scientific community. Much of the controversy centers around the length of the Biblical Creation Day. While many Fundamentalist Christians insist that a Creation Day must span the traditional twenty-four hours, mainstream science has determined that the age of the Earth is over 4.5 billion years old. Consequently, for the Bible and science to be reconciled, a Creation Day would have to span longer periods of time. This article will demonstrate that long Creation Days are not only possible but with a clearer understanding of the arguments the Biblical text virtually mandates them.
http://thebibleandscience.webs.com/articles/c...
Still a bit confused on what a 'creation day' is. It seems to me, when God created the solar system, the days, nights and yrs were physically responsible for the terminology of what we call time.'Age' doesn't understand what humans have determined as aging. ObviousLy, dinosaurs lived millions ago..

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't presume to lecture me about using tragedy to attack while you've made a career of standing on the shoulders of victims for years in an attempt to attack the Church and her members. You don't care one whit about those people in Pakistan or those victims, so please stop using them to attack *me*. If I was Mother Teresa, you'd be just as snide. Oh, wait, you already were when you attacked her numerous times in the past. Just as I predicted, nothing more than another snotty reply from you. So sincere...a sincere hypocrite. Go take Jane out for a drink, I'm sure he could use one right about now.
YOU WROTE

Go take Jane out for a drink, I'm sure he could use one right about now.[

IF YOU WERE A REAL CHRISTIAN YOU WOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDING THAT TYPE OF SPIRITS....

YOU WOLD BE ATTEMPTING TO LEAD OTHERS TO A DEEPER RELATIONSHIP/FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD..

OF COURSE YOU EVIDENTLY HAVEN'T THE SLIGHTEST IDEA WHAT iI AM POSTING ABOUT..

..Eph 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
Eph 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Eph 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

tYPICAL rOMAN cATHOLIC

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really my only objection as well, her insistence that the her understanding, or lack thereof, is correct and that the Church changed everything since she went to school. Well, that and calling popes "kings", and that God ordained the chaos of Protestantism. Even after several of us correct her, she continues to post to anyone and everyone that the Church now forces everyone to believe in evolution upon pain of sin and has completely changed the Book of Genesis, or that the "doctrine of limbo" has been changed on the Pope's whim, etc. Otherwise, no problem.
I don't recall telling her she wasn't Catholic either. I do know I questioned it and have always thought her understanding of what she says she was taught is very limited. I also remember coming to her defense once, saying that I thought she was sincere, albeit sincerely wrong. But that was ignored. Why am I not surprised? lol...ah, well.
Find me a quote Regina,where I sad the CHURCH FORCES,you to believe in evolution or sin.

I said no such thing

Wen Clay said you believed in it I WAS,GENUINELY surprised ..as,it was not even a,word used when I was in school.

And I assumed ..You all still DID not BELIEVE it .

So I,asked a,religious,Catholics teacher ..it a link I have posted before.

Stated I still BELieve in Genesis ..a to do not think we,are,descended from other biological forms ..

I have no idea,..what you all say HAS TO BE BELIEVED on pain of sin..
And,I never said I did ..

Believe as you like ..I'm still surprised ..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Patriot wrote:
Romans 8 http://biblehub.com/niv/romans/8.htm

----
History reveals that the advancement of truth comes at a high price, and a majority of people are unwilling to pay the price. It is much more comfortable to remain within the social and religious comforts of fellowship than to follow the Spirit into the desert of rejection where often, you are alone with GOD. The Bible represents people as sheep for good reason. They prefer to flock together. They also tend to follow their leaders (political and religious) without thinking or thoroughly studying matters for themselves. Consider the total sum of religious thought that Hindus, Moslems, Catholics, Jews, Protestants, atheists and pagans believe today. All of these different ideas about GOD came from spiritual leaders who are as blind as the lay people they guide.(Matthew 23:16)
Humanity’s diversity in religious beliefs proves that people are capable of believing anything and everything. Our diversity also proves that our belief systems have nothing to do with Eternal Truth. Even though Catholics and Protestants insist their views come directly from Scripture, a cursory review of Scripture can demonstrate otherwise. Truth is not determined by a majority vote or acceptance. Thoughtfully consider these words: "Truth is not what I believe. Truth is not even what I know. Truth is fact. I may not believe it. I may not know it. That does not change it. It is there nevertheless, waiting to be discovered and believed. Truth does not depend on the unsettled and changing opinions of men. It was truth before it was believed. It remains truth whether it is believed or not. Reason does not originate or create it. It merely discovers it. Consequently, reason is not a source. Truth goes back beyond reason. Others would have us believe that the church is the source of authority, particularly in matters of theology. They are wrong. The church is the product of Truth. It does not originate it. It came into being by accepting Divine Revelation. It is not the source of that revelation. Truth goes beyond the church, it is antecedent to it."
(When a Man Dies, Carlyle B. Haynes (1882-1958); p.5)
====

This is a rich quote. There is a lot to digest.One of the nest. Thanx.

“Greater Love Than This”

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Baltimore Catechism No. 3 Discusses Limbo Article Whatever Happened to Limbo?
Source:America National Catholic Review
http://americamagazine.org/issue/365/article/...
Though limbo was never officially defined in any church council or document, it became, like other unchallenged elements of the Christian worldview, a part of the common teaching and almost universal catechesis of the church. Since the late 19th century, IT WAS WRITTEN ON THE PSYCHE OF EVERY YOUNG CATHOLIC THROUGH THE BALTIMORE CATECHISM. FOR EXAMPLE, BALTIMORE CATECHISM NO. 3 STATES, WITH ITS USUAL AIR OF CERTAINTY: PERSONS, SUCH AS INFANTS, WHO HAVE NOT COMMITTED ACTUAL SIN AND WHO, THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIRS, DIE WITHOUT BAPTISM, CANNOT ENTER HEAVEN; BUT IT IS THE COMMON BELIEF THEY WILL GO TO SOME PLACE SIMILAR TO LIMBO, WHERE THEY WILL BE FREE FROM SUFFERING, THOUGH DEPRIVED OF THE HAPPINESS OF HEAVEN (Q. 632). Most Catholics, of course, made no distinction between defined doctrines and what appeared in the catechism. It was all church teaching, to be accepted without question.
Limbo never been a defined part of the faith but being taught in Catholic schools through the 1950s.
Article: Catholic Church Casts Aside Theory On State Of Limbo
Refers to: Monsignor William H. Shannon of Rochester, N.Y: Jesuit weekly magazine America
THAT THINKING IS AN ABOUT-FACE FROM WHAT WAS BEING TAUGHT IN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS THROUGH THE 1950S.
"Limbo has never been a defined part of the faith. There has never been a dogmatic definition of limbo," said the Rev. Richard P. McBrien, a priest from Hartford who teaches theology at the University of Notre Dame and author of "Catholicism," a summary of church teaching.
Exactly ..Babies,without Baptism went o LIMBO
..nice place ..no Jesus

Thanks

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Just for clarification, I do not attack the Catholic Church. My comments, based on critical thinking, reason, logic,the best of my spiritual understanding
are directed at some abusive and exploitative Catholics here that defile the Deposit of Faith, the hierarchy when it enables falsehood and evil,and any institution or person when they minimize,revise history, lie,misquote doublespeak, propagandize, and elevate themselves with pride.

On the other hand I respect any Catholic clergy, layman, or theologian who truly practices their faith
to be closer to Christ, not to diminish others.

“Greater Love Than This”

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Ok it's,a,bit quiet ..Thank God .

I'd really like to know, from others,..And,since this has,not happened ...it's,interpretation ..

Who is the woman in Revelation .12 I thought either

ISRAEL or Mary
WOUld be answers given

There is probably reasons for both beliefs,

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray forUS.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly ..Babies,without Baptism went o LIMBO
..nice place ..no Jesus
Thanks
Don't you believe Jesus if everywhere???

To help you understand ...

"Now it may confidently be said that, as the result of centuries of speculation on the subject, we ought to believe that these souls enjoy and will eternally enjoy a state of perfect natural happiness; and this is what Catholics usually mean when they speak of the limbus infantium, the "children's limbo."

Limbo = Limbus patrum

Though it can hardly be claimed, on the evidence of extant literature, that a definite and consistent belief in the limbus patrum of Christian tradition was universal among the Jews, it cannot on the other hand be denied that, more especially in the extra-canonical writings of the second or first centuries B.C., some such belief finds repeated expression; and New Testament references to the subject remove all doubt as to the current Jewish belief in the time of Christ. Whatever name may be used in apocryphal Jewish literature to designate the abode of the departed just, the implication generally is
that their condition is one of happiness,
that it is temporary, and
that it is to be replaced by a condition of final and permanent bliss when the Messianic Kingdom is established.
In the New Testament, Christ refers by various names and figures to the place or state which Catholic tradition has agreed to call the limbus patrum. In Matthew 8:11, it is spoken of under the figure of a banquet "with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of Heaven" (cf. Luke 8:29; 14:15), and in Matthew 25:10 under the figure of a marriage feast to which the prudent virgins are admitted, while in the parable of Lazarus and Dives it is called "Abraham's bosom" (Luke 16:22) and in Christ's words to the penitent thief on Calvary the name paradise is used (Luke 23:43). St. Paul teaches (Ephesians 4:9) that before ascending into Heaven Christ "also descended first into the lower parts of the earth," and St. Peter still more explicitly teaches that "being put to death indeed, in the flesh, but enlivened in the spirit," Christ went and "preached to those souls that were in prison, which had been some time incredulous, when they waited for the patience of God in the days of Noah" (1 Peter 3:18-20).

It is principally on the strength of these Scriptural texts, harmonized with the general doctrine of the Fall and Redemption of mankind, that Catholic tradition has defended the existence of the limbus patrum as a temporary state or place of happiness distinct from Purgatory. As a result of the Fall, Heaven was closed against men. Actual possession of the beatific vision was postponed, even for those already purified from sin, until the Redemption should have been historically completed by Christ's visible ascendancy into Heaven. Consequently, the just who had lived under the Old Dispensation, and who, either at death or after a course of purgatorial discipline, had attained the perfect holiness required for entrance into glory, were obliged to await the coming of the Incarnate Son of God and the full accomplishment of His visible earthly mission. Meanwhile they were "in prison," as St. Peter says; but, as Christ's own words to the penitent thief and in the parable of Lazarus clearly imply, their condition was one of happiness, notwithstanding the postponement of the higher bliss to which they looked forward. And this, substantially, is all that Catholic tradition teaches regarding the limbus patrum.
Limbus infantium

The New Testament contains no definite statement of a positive kind regarding the lot of those who die in original sin without being burdened with grievous personal guilt. But, by insisting on the absolute necessity of being "born again of water and the Holy Ghost" (John 3:5) for entry into the kingdom of Heaven 5:12 sqq.).

Source Catholic Encyclopedia

To be continued

[i'll give you a few days to study, lol]

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min River Tam 730,810
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 31 min Yehuda 117,880
What's the sluttiest thing you've ever did? 37 min Babyyyy 2
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 54 min Johnny 2,221
F 38 M 39 Ask us anything!! 54 min Commander Bunny 9
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ1 259,386
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 225,719
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 3 hr monu chauhan 104
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr River Tam 599,583

Search the Top Stories Forum: