Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 670587 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Regina

Bloomfield, NJ

#477347 Sep 20, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Hemmingway said you have to have a good BS detector.Your typical fumbling cons dont work with me.You think you have some kind of magic that enables you to just say something and it is believed by all.You also feel entitled to declare who used to be Catholic, who is a true Orthodox etc.Your little cowardly tactic of making comments about people to fellow Catholics instead of to the person you are talking about is old as well.
Oh, no, here we go again. The troublemakers are here.
I'd appreciate it if you would stop stalking and harassing me. Thank you for reading my posts, however! But yesterday and today have been the first time in weeks that I've been able to look in on the board and would like to do so without you two vipers slinking around. That is what is old. So....if you don't like my posts, hey, that's what the scroll bar is for! Adios!

So
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#477348 Sep 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
They degrade the intimate lives of Mary and Joseph to
a subject of gossip ....for tabloid magazines...
The truth from the Bible evidently was just not dirty enough to feed
their thirst for sexual exploitation ..
so they had to invent something to feed their carnal minds and excite
their ungodly appetites for sensuality...
~~~
It is with them.... as God said about the people in Noah's day...
Gen_6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
What's more carnal; Insisting that every human being MUST be having sex, or believing that a man would not be willing to have sex with the mother of the Lord out of respect for the Lord and the dignity of His Mother?

"His disciples said to him,“If that is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.” He answered,“Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom that is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage* for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it.”

"Now in regard to virgins, I have no commandment from the Lord, but I give my opinion as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. So this is what I think best because of the present distress: that it is a good thing for a person to remain as he is."

"I should like you to be free of anxieties. An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord. But a married man is anxious about the things of the world, how he may please his wife, and he is divided. An unmarried woman or a virgin is anxious about the things of the Lord, so that she may be holy in both body and spirit. A married woman, on the other hand, is anxious about the things of the world, how she may please her husband."

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#477349 Sep 20, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, no, here we go again. The troublemakers are here.
I'd appreciate it if you would stop stalking and harassing me. Thank you for reading my posts, however! But yesterday and today have been the first time in weeks that I've been able to look in on the board and would like to do so without you two vipers slinking around. That is what is old. So....if you don't like my posts, hey, that's what the scroll bar is for! Adios!
So
The only so call viper in this forum is YOU and everyone knows it. Reverse psychology, ever hear of it.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#477350 Sep 20, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>those who claim that Mary never had children are the people obsessed with the sexual problem.
they seem to think that mary was willing to break the commandment to "go forth and multiply", which would keep her out of Heaven by sinning against His Commandment
At the risk of being insulted again...the light at yonder tunnel end flickerth....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#477351 Sep 20, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I have never ever backtracked with you on anything.
I have withstood you from the very beginning with your campbellite false teachings.
you don't have to believe the Bible. refuse it and die is your choice.
I believe the bible, Preston....

That is why I put these people to the test.....they failed the Word of God.....

It is simple, we just have to disagree is all....

Location hidden

#477352 Sep 20, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Would you quit blaspheming the Blessed Virgin? You were taught diffently , if you really went to Catholic school. Someone must have brainwashed you or you never went. Our Spiritual mother is the Blessed Virgin Mother. whether you like it or not. Another thing, Mary is the only one born without original sin, no sin, rose. You were raised Catholic, so you say, you know better, than to believe ahe was with sin.
blasphemy - blasphemous language (expressing disrespect for God or for something sacred)

Mary is not God nor is she scared...

Mary remained not a virgin:
Mt 1:24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

You are believing a lie....Mary was a sinner....
Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#477353 Sep 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Diversion.
You know what I mean, but decided to take it in a different direction.
If you say you have "faith and beleif", then you surely must know when it was given to you, because you said both are not learned, but given to you by "God". I disagree.
How did you acquire your faith and belief? C'mon, it can't be this difficult to say, or is it?
<quoted text>
Of course you don't, because that is NOT what I was asking.
Apply some honesty to yourSelf HB, and you will understand what to say.
Do you think I will judge you for being honest? I won't.
<quoted text>
Well, okay. You have an objection to my belief. So?
My beleif stems from understanding what Jesus taught. It also stems from the fact that "God" never deemed any specific text more holy than another.
I've chosen to follow Jesus and what he taught about the Father, not what he taught about "God".
<quoted text>
Jesus never called himself "God", why should you?
<quoted text>
WHEW-WHEW!! When do you think so-called "Christians" will begin to believe in what Jesus taught, so they can change into this new being also? Are you going to?
I'll see you at the end of the line!
NASL

I am not diverting from the subject, which is faith and belief.

Actually, beliefs are part of a learned process. Faith is not.

One can broaden the meaning of faith, such as "I belong to the one true faith.", but that still does not define faith, or using it as a misnomer, and say, "I belong to the Protestant, Catholic, Hindu, etc, etc, faith."

There is a tendency to use a collection of beliefs and call it faith, but this is not true faith.

To describe faith is like trying to describe, confidence, trust, hope, and concrete, solidity. I suspect that each person is in some degree aware of these descriptions within themselves. It is not biological....

Location hidden

#477354 Sep 20, 2013
(CNN)–“Rain on parched land.”

“A bold new course.”

“Revolutionary.”

That’s how liberal Catholics responded to the stunning interview published Thursday in which Pope Francis bluntly said the church shouldn’t be “obsessed” with culture war issues like abortion and gay marriage.

“It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time,” the pope said, warning that the church's moral foundations will fall "like a house of cards" unless it strikes a "new balance" between preaching the gospel and taking political stands on divisive issues.

How did conservative Catholics, the church’s most ardent culture warriors, react?

“I’ll be honest; I was disturbed,” writes Matthew Archbold in the conservative National Catholic Register.

Note!!!! Abortion nor gay marriages are not political issues!!!!!!!

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#477355 Sep 20, 2013
Jesus had Brothers???
By Matt Fradd
September 17, 2013 |

Why do Catholics teach that Mary was a virgin throughout her life when the Bible clearly says that Jesus had brothers? Ever been asked that?

Let me offer four reasons:
1. The Meaning of Brother

The first thing to understand is that the
term brother (Gk. adelphos) has a broader meaning than uterine brothers. It can mean a biological brother, but it can also mean an extended relative, or even a spiritual brother.

Take Genesis 13:8 for example. Here the word brother is being used to describe the relationship between Abraham and Lot, who were not biological brothers but uncle and nephew:

“So Abram said to Lot,“Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers”(Gen 13:8, NIV; see also 14:12).

Because of the Bible’s broad semantic range of “brother,” we can rest assured that although St. Paul writes,“[Jesus] appeared to more than five hundred…brothers at the same time”(1 Cor. 15:6), we need not infer from this verse that Mary gave birth to more than 500 children!
2. Children of Mary?

These “brothers” are never once called the children of Mary, although Jesus himself is (John 2:1; Acts 1:14).
3. Other Women Named Mary

James and Joseph (also called Joses), who are called Jesus’“brothers”(Mark 6:3) are indeed the children of Mary—Just not Mary, the mother of Jesus.

After St. Matthew’s account of the crucifixion and death of Jesus, he writes:

“There were also many women there, looking on from afar, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him; among who were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee.”(Matt. 27:56; see also Mark 15:40).
4. Consensus of the Early Church
The earliest explanation of the “brothers” of the Lord is found in a document known as the Protoevangelium of James, which was written around A.D. 150. It speaks of Mary asa consecrated virgin since her youth, and of St. Joseph as an elderly widower with children who was chosen to be Mary’s spouse for the purposes of guarding and protecting her while respecting her vow of virginity. Though this document is not on the level of Sacred Scripture, it was written very early, and it may contain accurate historical traditions.

Allow me to limit myself to three quotes from the early Church:

Athanasius of Alexandria

“Therefore let those who deny that the Son is from the Father by nature and proper to his essence deny also that he took true human flesh of Mary Ever-Virgin [Four Discourses Against the Arians 2:70 (c. A.D. 360)].

St. Jerome

“You say that Mary did not continue a virgin: I claim still more that Joseph himself, on account of Mary was a virgin, so that from a virgin wedlock a virgin son was born [Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary 21 (A.D. 383)].

Pope St. Leo I

“The origin is different but the nature alike: not by intercourse with man but by the power of God was it brought about: for a Virgin conceived, a Virgin bore, and a Virgin she remained [Sermons 22:2 (A.D. 450)].

Thus the same Church today affirm:

Jesus is Mary’s only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save:“The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother’s love (Catechism of the Catholic Church 501).

http://www.catholic.com/blog/matt-fradd/jesus...

Hail Mary full of grace.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#477356 Sep 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the bible, Preston....
That is why I put these people to the test.....they failed the Word of God.....
It is simple, we just have to disagree is all....
failed the test?

I obeyed God and that woman received the Holy host. there is no test.

you should be ashamed of yourself. a smart man such as you are to believe those lies.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#477357 Sep 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose,
This passage is not for the person was has not been saved.
This passage is for Christians.
Christians, who are believers in Christ Jesus, who continues to deliberately sin.
This verse is an encouragement for those who call themselves Christians to be aware of the consequences of continuing to sin.
Ait was explained to me...it was TO THE HEBREW BELIEVERS ...

Some of whom thought of going or keeping the Law ..as Jews .
TURNING AWAY FROM Faith in Jesus as the sacrifice called for .

Of course one should NOT turn away from Faith in Jesus ..either then or
Now,.

But you are saying if a person falls with. SIN ...goes astray..is a believer in Christ ...falls away as the Prodigal did

..And is convicted of that Sin ..the sAcrifice Jesus made did not cover that sin..But Jesus knew EVERY SIN..THEY WERE ALL ON THE CROSS WITH HIM

Why WOULD THE SPIRIT then convict them to repent ..as happened with the son..
That is like God saying your doing wrong repent...But it's too late for you. I took all sin to the Cross BUT yours since you sinned after being born Again..
There,is no mercy in that..And we believe in God's,mercy..

Hebrews was,talking to Jewish believers,who were going back to thinking hey needed the Law..

Sane as if I renounced Christ...which.I would never do..And think

I should become anther faith or believe in myself ..not God

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#477358 Sep 20, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
Lady, I was going to pass on replying but your post, especially with the arrogant LOL's deserves a response.
I will comment on one statement.
These "incontestable statistical and historical facts"
If anything is true it is that "incontestable statistical and historical facts" are probably more contested and controversial than any area of study.Libraries are filled with books re different positions on these "incontestable statistical and historical facts".
So LOL down the road LADY
I just love the way you come to the aid of your dear wife’s defense.
I'm sure she can handle her own posts tho.
Not sure she needs your help.
So….. she is a lady right?
Thank you for calling me 'Lady' I always was and will always be. lol

Facts are facts, I'm simple posting what Britannica.com says.. and of course all our Church history.
I know it hurts but its the truth and I'm sticking to it.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#477359 Sep 20, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>failed the test?
I obeyed God and that woman received the Holy host. there is no test.
you should be ashamed of yourself. a smart man such as you are to believe those lies.
Preston...these people could not answer my question.....they were trying to get me to shut up.....

What would you think?

So you don't believe that we should test the spirits against the Word of God?
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#477360 Sep 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
“A bold new course.”
“Revolutionary.”
That’s how liberal Catholics responded to the stunning interview published Thursday in which Pope Francis bluntly said the church shouldn’t be “obsessed” with culture war issues like abortion and gay marriage.
“It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time,” the pope said, warning that the church's moral foundations will fall "like a house of cards" unless it strikes a "new balance" between preaching the gospel and taking political stands on divisive issues.
How did conservative Catholics, the church’s most ardent culture warriors, react?
“I’ll be honest; I was disturbed,” writes Matthew Archbold in the conservative National Catholic Register.
Scour that internet son. Lol.

Pope said nothing new on Church teachings. Abortion is untouchable. So is gay marriage and contraception. The Church will never undo these teachings because of the basic truths involved.
This is more proof of the validity of the Catholic Church.
The Pope was merely telling Priests to back off on hammering away at these things.(pretty difficult when all your enemies in the media will not let you go a day without addressing it)
Its completely expected that nut jobs like you would purposely take it to a different level. Therefore I do not get upset as I know who you are and what you're really about.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#477361 Sep 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
What's more carnal; Insisting that every human being MUST be having sex, or believing that a man would not be willing to have sex with the mother of the Lord out of respect for the Lord and the dignity of His Mother?
"His disciples said to him,“If that is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.” He answered,“Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom that is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage* for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it.”
"Now in regard to virgins, I have no commandment from the Lord, but I give my opinion as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. So this is what I think best because of the present distress: that it is a good thing for a person to remain as he is."
"I should like you to be free of anxieties. An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord. But a married man is anxious about the things of the world, how he may please his wife, and he is divided. An unmarried woman or a virgin is anxious about the things of the Lord, so that she may be holy in both body and spirit. A married woman, on the other hand, is anxious about the things of the world, how she may please her husband."
~~~

you wrote
I have no commandment from the Lord, but I give my opinion...

A typical Roman Catholic ATTITUDE, ONE THAT EVIDENTLY PERVADES THEIR WHOLE RELIGIOUS SYSTEM...

SO WHAT ELSE IS NEW?

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#477362 Sep 20, 2013
Regina wrote:
"Because the Church’s teachings are clear, Francis will spend his precious time and energy showing a side of the Church that people, especially the MSM, hasn’t paid attention to: that the Church is not a museum of the perfect, it is a field hospital for sinners." -- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
Hmmm, interesting that Fr. Zuhlsdorf should call the Church "a hospital for sinners". I agree and always have.
Hi, how's it going? Doing well in So Cal., finally getting some fall weather. Take care. <><

Have you read this?
Secular media always trying to make something out of nothing.

"Go Home New York Times, You’re Drunk
by Steven D. Greydanus Friday, September 20, 2013

So apparently The New York Times is so beside itself over Pope Francis' epic interview yesterday, it can't decide what it wants to say about it.

In fact, in less than 24 hours, it seems there've been at least three different headlines for the same story: an inflammatory headline, a more moderate one, and then a crazy, go-for-broke moonbat insane headline.

The original headline (still preserved in the article URL) was bad enough:

Well. Clearly someone’s obsessed with abortion, gay marriage and contraception. But I don’t think it’s the Church.

For the record, here is what Pope Francis actually had to say about obsession in his interview:

The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently.

That’s it. That’s the only time the word “obsessed” or any cognate appeared in the entire interview. Read the whole thing for context.

Oh, by the way, did you hear about the pope “obsessing” about abortion earlier today? Not from the New York Times, you didn’t."

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/steven-greydan...

THE INTERVIEW
Wow! Did the Pope really characterize the Church’s teachings on abortion, homosexuality and contraception as “small-minded rules” that the Church should get beyond?

That’s what you’d think by scanning the headlines, but the short answer is that the Pope said no such thing. Once again, this was a case of the secular press hyperventilating and taking the Pope’s remarks out of context.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-fra...

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#477363 Sep 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston...these people could not answer my question.....they were trying to get me to shut up.....
What would you think?
So you don't believe that we should test the spirits against the Word of God?
I, contrary to what Oxbore says, have proved you wrong on every point that YOUR church tries to make contrary to the Word Of God.

so in effect, YOU are calling me a liar.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#477364 Sep 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
you wrote
I have no commandment from the Lord, but I give my opinion...
A typical Roman Catholic ATTITUDE, ONE THAT EVIDENTLY PERVADES THEIR WHOLE RELIGIOUS SYSTEM...
SO WHAT ELSE IS NEW?
And you think your opinion is superior to St. Paul's. What a shock.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#477365 Sep 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
“A bold new course.”
“Revolutionary.”
Did you read the pope's interview or the article this quotes? No? Well then you have no business commenting on it.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#477366 Sep 20, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I, contrary to what Oxbore says, have proved you wrong on every point that YOUR church tries to make contrary to the Word Of God.
so in effect, YOU are calling me a liar.
Preston....this has to do with the Word of God and the people that I was speaking of....

We will just have to disagree....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Joe Fortuna 101,326
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min Sky Writer 31 184,324
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min Pres Mr Donald J ... 980,336
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rob Ford Jr 286,265
Ted Bundy's Daughter (Jul '14) 3 hr Poppy _36 6
I love you sister Joyce Meyer 6 hr lightbeamrider 2
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 hr Jehova Witness 445,674
More from around the web