Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603174 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Truth

Leesburg, VA

#476710 Sep 17, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
You just answered your own question Hank, we aren't saved by following 'commands' but by Grace through Faith.
Marge, Marge, Marge.....

Why are we suppose to obey Jesus' COMMANDS???
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#476711 Sep 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
You all have a good evening. If there is one thing we can learn from today it's Campellites like Hank and Catholics like Tony believe the same. The other thing they disagree on, is that they both believe they are a member of the true church.
Satan is clever ain't he.....lol
LOL....

Chuckie, you are too funny.....

Come with some answers tomorrow....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#476712 Sep 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take that as a no.
All spiritual blessings are IN Christ Jesus....

How do we accomplish this???

Ephesians 1:3

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, <<<<<who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.>>>>>
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#476713 Sep 17, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
You just answered your own question Hank, we aren't saved by following 'commands' but by Grace through Faith.
Jesus commanded discipleship by baptism and observing His teaching. He said "faith AND baptism" saves you. If one doesn't observe His commands on faith and baptism, would one still receive the free gift of grace?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#476714 Sep 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if you're are aware of this but I never respond to you because you're a freak like your buddy June. However, I will make an exception. I'm discussion "Christian stuff"..you wouldn't understand.
thanks
"you are a freak"

No Chuck, I am not. I'm a human just like you. No deficiencies nor do I have any major deformities. And of couorse, I take your insults with a grain of salt, because in truth, you really don't understand why you state them, as being under teh guise of men, men have caused you to act like this. I forgive.

"Discussing Christian stuff?" Uh-huh - sure you are. Making up things again?

You've yet to post anything so-called "Christian", but you sure do like to post alot about the Self.

Why is that?
Human Being

Arnaudville, LA

#476715 Sep 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
As,I said ..I have no problem with it ..But it in and of itself does nothing to make the child...once he reaches the age of reason ..free from sin.
I also do not believe babies born or preborn. Or young children who are not baptized and die...are a anywhere BUT with Jesus..as He wants them with Him..
Each of us, is responsible to seek God ...But Grace is a free Gift ..we must accept it by being reborn into Faith in our Saviour ..water sprinkled by a,priest ..dunking in the Ocean itself ..does not
do this,
Now Faith may bring us to get immersed ..But OUR OWN FAITH does,NOT bring us to the Baptismal font ..
RoSesz

Peace

I see. I think you are going to let God be Judge, and tend toward letting Him be inclusive. I tend to think that when one has a "relationship" with God, they are less dependent on their own understanding, and other's understanding, also, there is an independence from convention, but it is more concrete and real, than the world....

I am not quite sure what you mean when you write "Faith may bring us to get immersed.. But OUR OWN FAITH, NOT bring us to the Baptismal font."

In Catholicism faith is a theological virtue, given by God.(It is our obligation to pursue faith to its end in Jesus Christ.) Now there is a big difference between faith and belief. Perhaps you are alluding somewhere in your statements towards beliefs..., can you explain a little?

Albuquerque, NM

#476716 Sep 17, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuckie,
Before Jesus, the world was already condemned....
Why???
Because of people's sin.....
Doing nothing maintains our condemnation, as we are still in our sins.
Something has to happen to change the outcome of one's self from being condemned.....
Jesus came to a world of darkness already condemned from their sins in which they have committed.
Now, does the NEW BIRTH change this condemnation???
Are you just going to sit wherever you sit, and just wait for this "new birth" to take hold of you?

I betcha you can't, without YOU doing some sort of action.

Let's confirm this, shall we?

Why do you promote the Self in your statement, but will try and refute it in the same post?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#476717 Sep 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus commanded discipleship by baptism and observing His teaching. He said "faith AND baptism" saves you. If one doesn't observe His commands on faith and baptism, would one still receive the free gift of grace?
Where can I find Jesus saying "faith AND baptism" saves you?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#476718 Sep 17, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
saving faith and baptism, Marge...

Albuquerque, NM

#476719 Sep 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
As,I said ..I have no problem with it ..But it in and of itself does nothing to make the child...once he reaches the age of reason ..free from sin.
I also do not believe babies born or preborn. Or young children who are not baptized and die...are a anywhere BUT with Jesus..as He wants them with Him..
Each of us, is responsible to seek God ...But Grace is a free Gift ..we must accept it by being reborn into Faith in our Saviour ..water sprinkled by a,priest ..dunking in the Ocean itself ..does not
do this,
Now Faith may bring us to get immersed ..But OUR OWN FAITH does,NOT bring us to the Baptismal font ..
All the above are actions of Self.

Why do you deny this?

Albuquerque, NM

#476720 Sep 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.

Even when you don't, you will still receice the free gift of grace.

Grace isn't for you or Jesus to decide on who gets, huh?

Thinking that Catholics are the only ones who receive grace is absurd.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#476721 Sep 17, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Where can I find Jesus saying "faith AND baptism" saves you?
Mark 16:16.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#476722 Sep 17, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
confronting
Peace
Plenty of households baptized in the N.T....
You assume one must hear the physical words of God, by a preacher. But God speaks beyond silence. So a baby can hear God..., for instance when Mary visited her cousin, and John jumped in the womb....
Infant baptism is therefore acceptable. And your conclusion based within your assumption is incorrect. It is an understandable error.
Peace
Bull spit. No profession of faith.....no salvation. Scripture not tradition or guess work.

SALVATION..........

Romans 10:9-10, 9 "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved."

Do you see baptism listed in these verses?
Human Being

Arnaudville, LA

#476723 Sep 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you just going to sit wherever you sit, and just wait for this "new birth" to take hold of you?
I betcha you can't, without YOU doing some sort of action.
Let's confirm this, shall we?
Why do you promote the Self in your statement, but will try and refute it in the same post?
NASL

Peace

Repent, Repented, Repenting, Repentance....Some are actions, some are states of being with attributes.

If one is not in a state of repentance, then one will not be born again. Instead, they will be subject to the world, and continue in it.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#476724 Sep 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ Himself dictated the matter (water in John 3:5) and form ("baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" Matthew 28 18:20) of baptism right before He went "home".
Sticking your head in the sand will not change the truth in the Gospel.

What did He say they must do before they baptism "all nations".????
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#476725 Sep 17, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Here OldJG,
Acts 1:8
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Now, who is receiving the POWER from God??? NOT A WATER BAPTISM.....
WATER BAPTISM for us today is being baptized INTO Jesus' death, burial and resurrection......this is the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ......
Romans 6:4
4 <<<<<We were therefore buried with him through baptism INTO death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.>>>>>
WATER BAPTISM.....
We sure ARE NOT buried in DIRT.......
Think about it!!!
Why water??????????
I do not need a refresher course on what baptism represents. I said the same thing. What is your point?

Baptism is symbolic of our being buried with Him. Coming up out of the water is symbolic of being raised with Him. Have you ever read Galatians 2:20? We were also crucified with Him.

Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#476726 Sep 17, 2013
Fundamentalists often criticize the Catholic Church’s practice of baptizing infants. According to them, baptism is for adults and older children, because it is to be administered only after one has undergone a "born again" experience—that is, after one has "accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior." At the instant of acceptance, when he is "born again," the adult becomes a Christian, and his salvation is assured forever. Baptism follows, though it has no actual salvific value. In fact, one who dies before being baptized, but after "being saved," goes to heaven anyway.

As Fundamentalists see it, baptism is not a sacrament (in the true sense of the word), but an ordinance. It does not in any way convey the grace it symbolizes; rather, it is merely a public manifestation of the person’s conversion. Since only an adult or older child can be converted, baptism is inappropriate for infants or for children who have not yet reached the age of reason (generally considered to be age seven). Most Fundamentalists say that during the years before they reach the age of reason infants and young children are automatically saved. Only once a person reaches the age of reason does he need to "accept Jesus" in order to reach heaven.
Since the New Testament era, the Catholic Church has always understood baptism differently, teaching that it is a sacrament which accomplishes several things, the first of which is the remission of sin, both original sin and actual sin—only original sin in the case of infants and young children, since they are incapable of actual sin; and both original and actual sin in the case of older persons.

Peter explained what happens at baptism when he said, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38). But he did not restrict this teaching to adults. He added, "For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him" (2:39). We also read: "Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name" (Acts 22:16). These commands are universal, not restricted to adults. Further, these commands make clear the necessary connection between baptism and salvation, a
connection explicitly stated in 1 Peter 3:21: "Baptism ... now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/infant-baptism

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#476727 Sep 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the same bible you do.
....and it's reading "comprehension".
Sticking your head in the sand will not change the truth in the Gospel.

What did He say they are to do before baptizing them??
Dan

Omaha, NE

#476728 Sep 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
just silly to believe that you have the same born again experience as I because your mom and dad had you baptize.
yes silly, sad, and funny all at the sametime.
Sad.... to say baptism is in John 3:5 when it's not...truly sad how a cult can grip the human mind.
It's all good.

I was regenerated in Baptism. I renewed my baptismal vows at Confirmation.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#476729 Sep 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Truly sad to say Baptism is in John 3:5 when it is clearly not.
Truly said to use this verse to say we should baptize infants when baptism AGAIN is not even mentioned...14 but Jesus said,“Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”
oh yeah ...how sad how a cult can grip the human mind. congrats Dan...they got you too.
Instead of putting your faith in a church, apostles, Mary, and saints you should try Jesus Christ Himself.
It's all good.

Christ left the Church for us until His return and left His authority to the Apostles and their successors to teach us how to be closer to Him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min onemale 272,832
The Christian Atheist debate 13 min emperorjohn 3,795
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 min It aint necessari... 878,172
Hero Mom SNITCHES on COWARD son who murdered Ho... 25 min Doctor REALITY 2
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 7,968
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 1 hr Ann Bonney 53,488
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 1 hr 24yearold 561
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr sangili karuppan 7,623
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Darwins Stepchild 177,849
More from around the web