Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675486 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Human Being

Sunset, LA

#476207 Sep 13, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning Robert it's a beautiful day here sunny, 70, little wind.
I agree a born-again will become more Christ-like with age because they are born-anew from above and will have the desire to.
I believe both Gif and Preston are ministers of the True Gospel of Jesus, maybe to you they sound like fire and brimstone preachers? I love fire and brimstone preachers myself as long as they don't stray from the True Gospel.
marge:

Peace

Its a nice day here too. The summer weather pattern has changed, and the low humidity makes one feel cold....

The born-again person has that "will to become more Christ-like". Some believe it is infused within the soul, others believe it is more like a covering over the soul. Perhaps both....

I did not grow up in a fire-and-brimstone type of preaching, so for me it is difficult to relate. Basically, I go so far to see what hell looks like, and its not for me, so there is no need to try and scare me with hell.

Being forewarned is one thing, dwelling on fire-and brimstone is another....But I don't see either gif or Preston as fire-and-brimstone type of preachers.

Rather my motivation is on the opposite end, and that is to love God. And I can't get enough of a preacher talking about loving God more....

Peace

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#476208 Sep 13, 2013
Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you something Tony,if there were other humans before Adam,what did they eat?

If there were men before Adam,why was there not a man to till the ground?

If there was people before Adam,then where did they get water to drink if God had not caused it to rain yet?

How did the others who you say were before Adam and all the animals live without water or food?
http://biblehub.com/genesis/4-16.htm

So Cain went out from the LORD's presence and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden.

Asking questions are good FoL. Researching them on your own is even better. Avoiding the information will not bring you to the truth.

To answer all of your questions, one must first understand, when did "God" create the land of Nod?

If this land existed, and Cain went to this land, then there must have been people.

If Cain and Abel knew how to farm and fish, then surely others must've learned these tasks as well.

You just haven't gone far enough into your story to devuldge that your are lacking much information to the story.

Albuquerque, NM

#476210 Sep 13, 2013
to FoL:

which brings me to another question for you to ponder....

When did "God" create those other humans in Nod, in order for Cain to be able to go there and live?

Did they just "poof" into existence?

Also, during this time period - roughly 3100 BCE, across the Atlantic and on the Americas, many different tribes were already in existance and very nomadic, but were already "eating" animals they had killed (Wholly Mammoth, bison, etc) and very possibly, growing corn.

Don't believe everything someone tells you.

"....in the 1980s, archaeologists from the Florida Museum of Natural History opened a formal excavation in one particular sink. Below a layer of undisturbed sediment they found nine stone flakes that a person must have chipped from a larger stone, most likely to make tools and projectile points. They also found a mastodon tusk, scarred by circular cut marks from a knife. The tusk was 14,500 years old.

The age was surprising, even shocking, for it suddenly made the Aucilla sinkhole one of the earliest places in the Americas to betray the presence of human beings. Curiously, though, scholars largely ignored the discoveries of the Aucilla River Prehistory Project, instead clinging to the conviction that America’s earliest settlers arrived more recently, some 13,500 years ago. But now the sinkhole is getting a fresh look, along with several other provocative archaeological sites that show evidence of an earlier human presence in the Americas, perhaps much earlier."

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/...

"Some recent DNA studies suggest additional migration from Europe around the northern fringe of the Atlantic possibly as long ago as either 36,000 to 23,000 years ago or between 17,000 to 12,000 years."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peopl...

As you can see, and hopefully understand, your "guide" is inaccurate and very exclusive, but just doesn't cut it with factual evidence or truth.

Like I've said to you - don't believe everything you read. Men deceive, and you you are only propogated the deception.

Albuquerque, NM

#476211 Sep 13, 2013
typo = "you are only propogated the deception"

s/b: "you are only propogating the deception"

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#476212 Sep 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
.....which was my point.
If someone is actually someone who "wants to understand", the teachings of the Catholic Church are more accessible and widely available than any other faith.
The folks on this board NEVER cite it nor ask questions based upon the the actual teaching of the Church that they read.
They don't "want to understand".
You are not getting the point at all.

If I'm not a,believer at all ..I see a parade ..see people in adulation at a statue ..I might give the stage itself properties,of HOLINESS or think the people do .

If I'm uneducated but love God ...I'm not much on theology but I say my rosary to the statue,...it's not from sinfulness,I do it but because it's given such s place of reverence ..candles,and all ..or if I'm a young child .

APEARANCE ...And mentioned in that verse from THE AS I gave,Herm

Also can be a stumbling block ...A NEAR OCCASION OF SIN to the unknowing ...what if they think Mary lives in the statue ...like Gods,presence was in the Ark THINK OF IT THIS,WAY .
GOD took such great care that the ARK not be used as an idol ...You could not touch it ..let alone kiss it ...SEEMS HE WAS,MOST SERIUOS ..

Personally as,I said they don't bother me ..

Albuquerque, NM

#476213 Sep 13, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You're telling me to get a better defense than using the very words of the Disciples of the Apostles and those they taught as well? Keep in mind, the defense of the Eucharist can easily be found in scripture too, by the words of Jesus. But as you know, the first Christians wrote in undeniable detail on the subject.
If you have more info, have at it. I think that would be noble of you to voice a defense next time Oldg calls it silly cracker.
Maybe utilizing all the Apostles and Jesus - instead of the folks men only decided to use - would be a better approach to understanding what you lack.

Especially, when you bring in Jesus into the mix.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#476214 Sep 13, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Dust Storm is too filled with poison to understand that a wife who watch her husband in a coma for weeks is going to defend him. ts ok for him to defend his church but a wife cannot defend her husband.It shows how whatever it is that gets inside of Dust Storm just takes over at times.By the way I dont expect pity from anyone.I am closer to Christ because of being sick, I have learned a lot of people do care, a lot of people will pray for you,and my wife is an angel.Most of all Christ was there always, no matter bad it got, and will always be there. He will never abandon us.
I'm afraid I wasn't aware of the seriousness of your illness until well after the board erupted with condemnations as to who offered prayers for you and who didn't, who was more sincere, etc.

I would hesitate to use this discussion board as a means to measure the amount one cares about you based on how profusely they express their prayers here. For all you know, some of us may have said a prayer for you during our hour in front of the Blessed Sacrament and preferred not to parade it around for all to see. I have no doubt Christ was there with you the whole time, thank the Lord for His mercy.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#476215 Sep 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Seraphima says........The greatest love for scripture"?How about love for man.You can not force people into your faith as your church has tried to do in its past history.
Michael says.......that is exactly what I have been posting all along. If humanity can't get along with each other, its because specific religious beliefs have done nothing except divide us.
You are preaching to the wrong group...At no time has Seraphena or Hermi

attempted to force any one to become a part of their Orthodox Church...

no have they attempted to bar any one from heaven...

It is the Roman Catholics that claim a franchise and attempt to monopolize the gates of Heaven..

Proof is the banner

The Vatican issued a document Tuesday restating its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Only religious cults make this claim...
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#476216 Sep 13, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not getting the point at all.
If I'm not a,believer at all ..I see a parade ..see people in adulation at a statue ..I might give the stage itself properties,of HOLINESS or think the people do .
If I'm uneducated but love God ...I'm not much on theology but I say my rosary to the statue,...it's not from sinfulness,I do it but because it's given such s place of reverence ..candles,and all ..or if I'm a young child .
APEARANCE ...And mentioned in that verse from THE AS I gave,Herm
Also can be a stumbling block ...A NEAR OCCASION OF SIN to the unknowing ...what if they think Mary lives in the statue ...like Gods,presence was in the Ark THINK OF IT THIS,WAY .
GOD took such great care that the ARK not be used as an idol ...You could not touch it ..let alone kiss it ...SEEMS HE WAS,MOST SERIUOS ..
Personally as,I said they don't bother me ..
Please read this from G K Chesterton Rose;

"The ordinary sensible sceptic or pagan is standing in the street (in the supreme character of the man in the street) and he sees a procession go by of the priests of some strange cult, carrying their object of worship under a canopy, some of them wearing high head-dresses and carrying symbolical staffs, others carrying scrolls and sacred records, others carrying sacred images and lighted candles before them, others sacred relics in caskets or cases, and so on. I can understand the spectator saying,“This is all hocus-pocus”; I can even understand him, in moments of irritation, breaking up the procession, throwing down the images, tearing up the scrolls, dancing on the priests and anything else that might express that general view. I can understand his saying,“Your croziers are bosh, your candles are bosh, your statues and scrolls and relics and all the rest of it are bosh.” But in what conceivable frame of mind does he rush in to select one particular scroll of the scriptures of this one particular group (a scroll which had always belonged to them and been a part of their hocus-pocus, if it was hocus-pocus); why in the world should the man in the street say that one particular scroll was not bosh, but was the one and only truth by which all the other things were to be condemned? Why should it not be as superstitious to worship the scrolls as the statues, of that one particular procession? Why should it not be as reasonable to preserve the statues as the scrolls, by the tenets of that particular creed? To say to the priests,“Your statues and scrolls are condemned by our common sense,” is sensible. To say,“Your statues are condemned by your scrolls, and we are going to worship one part of your procession and wreck the rest,” is not sensible from any standpoint, least of all that of the man in the street.”

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#476217 Sep 13, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>The Scriptures have the M I N D of God,Every Word,every sentence,and the Holy Spirit is at work to reveal to babes,and the lesser, those things that the educated MISS. But the point is made of what God has ordained of ancient times,and that HE has not CHANGED!
The Torah is still used today,Jews traditional,and converted to Yeshua,use them,the Tanach,the Prophets,and those converted to Yeshua use the New Covenant. I am not alone in this way of thinking if that is what you ask?
If God reveals anything to me it is through the Scriptures,and through intense prayer.But I am not without His compassion to realize that He has a FOLD within your framework Dan.But Dan, you would be amiss if you told me that all Catholics are on the same page about everything they do and practice.
Why should it bother you that I speak about disobedience,when your priests often tell their people that to be Pro-Choice for instance is disobedience? Yet many Catholics are pro-choice,and vehement about it.JUST for that example,not wanting to get on that subject,because if you are a Catholic who loves the Lord,you most likely are not pro-choice,but pro-life as I am.
Clay thinks that I am trying to antagonize Catholics,but the truth is that I am trying to show Catholics that all they believe is not black and white,but that by right of Scripture and the Holy Spirit,non-Catholic Christians having serious issues with Roman Catholicism,stand to debate the Catholic claim to be the only True Church,and that we all should submit to it!
We have as much ground to stand on to oppose the said claim of Catholicism to be the only true Apostolic Church,as they(the CC)contend having all the history in their favor.We can only see that the CC is property of the present day Roman Church,and there is no recognition that anyone is truly Catholic unless they belong to the Roman Catholic Church,under the leadership of the Pontifical Office of the Papacy.
Very well put ..I know many Catholics love the Lord Jesus ..as much as many good non Catholics ..But it is not the only way to Christ .

So many things,..I won't go into..have no similarity to the early Church .

Many NON Catholic churches also build on the things that are not important based on Scripture ...which is the word passed on from the apostles and Paul ..it is,NOT Their bible as they have said ..unless they made it up ...which is s frightening thought.

Yes they preserved it as a unit ..But it was inspired words yo BELIEVERS IN CHRIST ...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#476218 Sep 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid I wasn't aware of the seriousness of your illness until well after the board erupted with condemnations as to who offered prayers for you and who didn't, who was more sincere, etc.
I would hesitate to use this discussion board as a means to measure the amount one cares about you based on how profusely they express their prayers here. For all you know, some of us may have said a prayer for you during our hour in front of the Blessed Sacrament and preferred not to parade it around for all to see. I have no doubt Christ was there with you the whole time, thank the Lord for His mercy.
Thsnks Anthony

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#476219 Sep 13, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Hello Kay!!!! Welcome Home!!!! Gbu!!!
Thank you for your kind welcome...

Kay has not been on her P.C. and will respond as soon as she can..

She is having trouble sleeping nights...Keep her in you prayers..

Love and prayer

G.I.F.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#476220 Sep 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Please read this from G K Chesterton Rose;
"The ordinary sensible sceptic or pagan is standing in the street (in the supreme character of the man in the street) and he sees a procession go by of the priests of some strange cult, carrying their object of worship under a canopy, some of them wearing high head-dresses and carrying symbolical staffs, others carrying scrolls and sacred records, others carrying sacred images and lighted candles before them, others sacred relics in caskets or cases, and so on. I can understand the spectator saying,“This is all hocus-pocus”; I can even understand him, in moments of irritation, breaking up the procession, throwing down the images, tearing up the scrolls, dancing on the priests and anything else that might express that general view. I can understand his saying,“Your croziers are bosh, your candles are bosh, your statues and scrolls and relics and all the rest of it are bosh.” But in what conceivable frame of mind does he rush in to select one particular scroll of the scriptures of this one particular group (a scroll which had always belonged to them and been a part of their hocus-pocus, if it was hocus-pocus); why in the world should the man in the street say that one particular scroll was not bosh, but was the one and only truth by which all the other things were to be condemned? Why should it not be as superstitious to worship the scrolls as the statues, of that one particular procession? Why should it not be as reasonable to preserve the statues as the scrolls, by the tenets of that particular creed? To say to the priests,“Your statues and scrolls are condemned by our common sense,” is sensible. To say,“Your statues are condemned by your scrolls, and we are going to worship one part of your procession and wreck the rest,” is not sensible from any standpoint, least of all that of the man in the street.”
Okay ...

But what if this person also has seen others worshippers kiss their idols ..say on tv ..in a movie ...

It was just a point about the appearance of sin..near occasion of sin .

How many priests ...give sermons regarding veneration of statues,.

Around here we have a,lot of foreign people ..including Haitians for instance ..

They sound up in Their own country with an odd admixture from the missionaries and their culture of voodoo ..You think not one of those folks thinks the statue has power ..that's just an example .

We think we live in such enlightenment ...I had a lovely non Catholic woman ..sincerely ask me if the host tastes like meat ...

Appearance ..I know you cannot change things ..And in the long tun not sure it matters if someone kisses s statue thinking it has power ..or rosary beads or scapulars...if they believe in the Saviuit eh o died for them.

But what about others..just saying but you do not want yo even admit one person might get wrong input from this ..

You think the Church is on God's level and never wrong

We disagree ..

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#476221 Sep 13, 2013
HEY EVERYONE..did anyone see a,post from June saying she was,leaving .

It's been at least a week ..

I just looked on one of the atheist forums ..don't see her there .

I pray maybe something we said comes to her IF she is ill ..And opens her heart to the LORD ...
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#476222 Sep 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe utilizing all the Apostles and Jesus - instead of the folks men only decided to use - would be a better approach to understanding what you lack.
Especially, when you bring in Jesus into the mix.
The men I speak of do not contradict what Jesus taught. Remember, not everything Jesus said and did is documented in writing. If His oral teachings are the word of God too, then it would have been protected so humanity would know the truth.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#476223 Sep 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You do all the time.
I have "never" (once) said that!! I have always seen Bible only Protestants are Christians, just like us Catholics, and are our brothers and sisters in Christ. In fact, it is the other way around in that fundamental Protestants unfortunately, refuse to see us Catholics as Christians.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#476224 Sep 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
If Anthony, Hojo, Clay, ReginaM through some miracle their souls actually make it to heaven, I want to see their reaction when they see most everyone else there too!
If I am stopped at the purley gates I will show the statement that Pope Francis declared that non christians are also welcome to heaven. The pope and God can fight it out over the terminology.
I/we as Catholics will continue to put our trust in Jesus Christ and God the Father as our "final judge" as we continue to (each day) "work out our Salvation with trembling and fear" as the bible and the Catholic Church instructs us in Phil 2:12.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#476225 Sep 13, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay ...
But what if this person also has seen others worshippers kiss their idols ..say on tv ..in a movie ...
It was just a point about the appearance of sin..near occasion of sin .
How many priests ...give sermons regarding veneration of statues,.
Around here we have a,lot of foreign people ..including Haitians for instance ..
They sound up in Their own country with an odd admixture from the missionaries and their culture of voodoo ..You think not one of those folks thinks the statue has power ..that's just an example .
We think we live in such enlightenment ...I had a lovely non Catholic woman ..sincerely ask me if the host tastes like meat ...
Appearance ..I know you cannot change things ..And in the long tun not sure it matters if someone kisses s statue thinking it has power ..or rosary beads or scapulars...if they believe in the Saviuit eh o died for them.
But what about others..just saying but you do not want yo even admit one person might get wrong input from this ..
You think the Church is on God's level and never wrong
We disagree ..
There was a serious (and deadly) debate about this 1300 years ago. They recognized the "appearance", but nevertheless understood the spiritual value vastly outweighed the minimal amount of abuses. Keep in mind Rose that the Church doesn't require anyone to venerate icons or statues or pray the rosary.
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#476226 Sep 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
If Anthony, Hojo, Clay, ReginaM through some miracle their souls actually make it to heaven, I want to see their reaction when they see most everyone else there too!
If I am stopped at the purley gates I will show the statement that Pope Francis declared that non christians are also welcome to heaven. The pope and God can fight it out over the terminology.
Do you think we'd get upset if our opponents were in Heaven when we got there? That's ridiculous.

There are a couple ministers on here, however, who'd find joy watching Catholics suffer. That's how bad they wanna be right.
I have a sibling who's not too different than these guys. Nothing would give me more joy than to see her in Heaven.
I also have met Protestants who live their faith allot more godly than me. I would be surprised if I was there and not them.
But what do you care? You've already made the choice.
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#476227 Sep 13, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
You are preaching to the wrong group...At no time has Seraphena or Hermi
attempted to force any one to become a part of their Orthodox Church...
no have they attempted to bar any one from heaven...
It is the Roman Catholics that claim a franchise and attempt to monopolize the gates of Heaven..
Proof is the banner
The Vatican issued a document Tuesday restating its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Only religious cults make this claim...
The Vatican never said that. I told you that last week, why are you acting like you never heard it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min ROCCO 110,136
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min New Age Spiritual... 982,196
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 286,307
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Yidfellas v USA 184,726
Finish This Liberal Political Sentence.. 1 hr USS LIBERTY 3
68 year old man missing from Deens Landing?! 9 hr bugg_85 1
Play "End of the Word" ..... Part 2 9 hr andet1987 69
More from around the web