Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 641075 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#475892 Sep 11, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>This forum isn't about what the Pope said about the orthodox church.Its about what he said about the catholic church.Even if my ox was being gored,I wouldn't repeat myself a million times......I only responded to LTM because of your comment on Roses post about orthodox kissing icons.I felt like your were trying to draw nick or me in so I made the reply to LTM. Otherwise,I would not have responded because the icon/statue sudject was explained ...how many times???..so no I was not awfully quick to reply about icon.frankly,it does not bother me if people disagree with what I believe. I replyed to LTM for your sake not mine..
Of course he was. Its the same old song baby just like the Four Tops laid it down.

“New Life”

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#475893 Sep 11, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>This forum isn't about what the Pope said about the orthodox church.Its about what he said about the catholic church.Even if my ox was being gored,I wouldn't repeat myself a million times......I only responded to LTM because of your comment on Roses post about orthodox kissing icons.I felt like your were trying to draw nick or me in so I made the reply to LTM. Otherwise,I would not have responded because the icon/statue sudject was explained ...how many times???..so no I was not awfully quick to reply about icon.frankly,it does not bother me if people disagree with what I believe. I replyed to LTM for your sake not mine..
Actually what I was trying to convey was appearance ..people going in to a store kidding a statue who has wet marks under the eyes .

I'm not doing that if I go in Church but did the Church ever consider
That some might just BE worshipping the statue thinking of it as a home for Mary..many people are not that educated ..do not understand theology .

And some of theses scenes of people in parades rival David And the ARK
which at that time held God's/ presence ...

And it appears that people are worshipping the,statue ...

Those people usually worshipped heavy e n knows what until the missionaries came to their Country ...by having the statues And the ceremonies around it ..does that no represent the near occasion to sin for the people .

They do not bother me personally at all ..I'm for worship of God
In any Church that is of sound doctrine ..I like my local Cath o luv Church ..it's beautiful ...

That was not my point ..I had been commenting to Pad ..And I see his point .

.I'm trying to say the appearance of sinning publicly was discussed by the apostles as stumbling blocks to the faith of others ..which seems to be a point Anthony ignores.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#475894 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan I phrased that badly ..I know,WHAT IT IS ..I was in sodality blue capes and all ..
I mean to the world this crowning of the statue appears as idolatry .
Did not the apostles warn of acts that can be construed as sins by non believers ...
For myself I still go in Catholic church at times ..yo the station's on Good Friday to remember ...as I think Churches should commemorate THST day ...
Our little CHURCH did once ..just quiet meditation ..before we merged.
But I digress ..I talk to God THEre ..Not the statues.
But as a kid ..And to outsiders ..it does appear the stat u e of Mary I'd an idol when she is crowned ..just saying
Plus countries and communities where they parade the Mary statue through the streets ...it most certainly looks like idol worship
If, as you say, Catholics don't worship Mary, than your pope is an imposter!!!!

POPE PRAYER TO MARY.

Pope John Paul bowing before a statue of Mary in worship.

On May 7 Pope John Paul II dedicated his general audience to "the Virgin Mary" and urged all Christians to accept Mary as their mother. He noted the words spoken by Jesus on the cross to Mary and to John--"Woman, behold thy son!" and "Behold thy mother!" (John 19:26,27), and he claimed that in this statement "IT IS POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND THE AUTHENTIC MEANING OF MARIAN WORSHIP in the ecclesial community ... which furthermore is based on the will of Christ" (Vatican Information Service, May 7, 1997).

John Paul II underlined that "the history of Christian piety teaches that MARY IS THE PATH THAT LEADS TO CHRIST, and that filial devotion to her does not at all diminish intimacy with Jesus, but rather, it increases it and leads it to very high levels of perfection." He concluded by asking all Christians "to make room (for Mary) in their daily lives, ACKNOWLEDGING HER PROVIDENTIAL ROLE IN THE PATH OF SALVATION"

What does "in worship" mean???!!!!!!

“New Life”

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#475895 Sep 11, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Of course he was. Its the same old song baby just like the Four Tops laid it down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2wYoLQc-x5gXX
I love that ..And them..And lol forgot to change my sign in ..I was doing something else on Topix...I love this pic had to use it as an avatars .....

Ain't she cute ... lol...
marge

Leesburg, GA

#475896 Sep 11, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>The icons in my church are not idols.The are pictures of events of the Bible and of the Holy family and of the saints.We do not worship these pictures(icons).The are there to remind us of the life of Christ and his suffering.Also they are a reminder for all of us to be humble and to strive to live a Christian life that is pleasing to God.
There is no one good but One, let alone Holy.

Location hidden

#475897 Sep 11, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hogwash!! For the 1st 1300 years of the Church, icons (statues where used exclusively in the Churches because there was no bible (as we know it today) until the 17th century. Statutes were used by "all Christians" for visual images, as they depicted what the biblical individuals looked like, in the abstract!!---i.e Moses, John the Baptist,the Blessed Mother, Jesus. etc....NO ONE was worshiping any idols, statutes, graven images or an object!! You "fundies" really need to get a grip on reality of what the Catholic Church ACTUALLY, believes, teaches and how and who they worship!!!!!
Pope John Paul bowing before a statue of Mary in worship. What do "in worship" mean?????
POPE PRAYER TO MARY.
Pope John Paul bowing before a statue of Mary in worship.(
On May 7 Pope John Paul II dedicated his general audience to "the Virgin Mary" and urged all Christians to accept Mary as their mother. He noted the words spoken by Jesus on the cross to Mary and to John--"Woman, behold thy son!" and "Behold thy mother!" (John 19:26,27), and he claimed that in this statement "IT IS POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND THE AUTHENTIC MEANING OF MARIAN WORSHIP in the ecclesial community ... which furthermore is based on the will of Christ" (Vatican Information Service, May 7, 1997).
John Paul II underlined that "the history of Christian piety teaches that MARY IS THE PATH THAT LEADS TO CHRIST, and that filial devotion to her does not at all diminish intimacy with Jesus, but rather, it increases it and leads it to very high levels of perfection." He concluded by asking all Christians "to make room (for Mary) in their daily lives, ACKNOWLEDGING HER PROVIDENTIAL ROLE IN THE PATH OF SALVATION"

Location hidden

#475898 Sep 11, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the better explanations of the veneration of icons (applicable to statues as well) I've found anywhere on the Internet. Yes Hermi, it's from an Orthodox site.
http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/icon_bowing...
Anthony For once try to learn how to use the internet for a productive purpose.You have denied everything that is true about the Catholic church and said everything is true that is false about the Orthodox.
I always know I can count on you.Yes my big secret is out!!! Oh Lions and Tigers and Bears!!!! Oh my!!! I have written here about our theology re icons before. Oh no!!! LTM is evil!!! LTM is attacking my church!~! I must defend it!!!! Be for real.Get out of your limited Catholic bubble and look at real life. I could post 5 posts explaining use of the icons in detail, the incarnation, etc.I could give you a 100 page thesis on it.. Is LTM going to change her mind??? Is my church going to be destroyed because LTM does not agree with icons???? I know LTM's position. If she has been here she knows my position. I have an adult mature faith.Its not like the Catholics here arguing over who is the best baseball team. Grow up.You think Christ is proud of you when you attack people and play games with them like you do because you are defending him?? Christ is proud of you when you present your position in a Christlike manner.You are defending your own ego. Thats what you are defending.

Location hidden

#475899 Sep 11, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It does no good to do a Bible study if you're just going to interpret it yourself. Don't get me wrong, the Gospels are amazing and you certainly can learn allot about Jesus doing it yourself..
The Church read the Gospel allowed every single day for 2,000 yrs. They not only orally communicated the Gospels, they also demonstrated it. The Mass is the Gospel coming to life. "This is my Body"
The Church didn't keep the Bible from anyone.
Hey...air head...

Are you saying that the Bible was written so only the pope could understand Scripture??? That he is to read it and tell us what it says?????!!!!

You don't believe God????

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Are you saying the above applies only to the pope?????

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

These people searching the scripture daily....were they all popes?????

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#475900 Sep 11, 2013
<quoted text>==========
Why dont you quit hiding behind the Orthodox Church. For once stand on your own church and be a man.Everyone here knows the Orthodox have icons.And I know they dont. And you know what,Miss Anthony? So what.
Christ is their Savior and Christ is my Savior.It isnt about whose church is bigger or badder blah blah blah.Its about Christ.
I'm referring to this,and other passages,..

I'm not once again speaking of myself ..most Catholics
,do not worship statues..But perhaps,

1 crest an atmosphere for them to be worshipped by the less knowledgeable let's,say ..

2 they give the,appearance of doing so publicly ...by some of the faithful parading usually Mary around as a stAtue ..sometimes the Scred Heart

APPEARANCE ..evidently was important ..

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Location hidden

#475901 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm referring to this,and other passages,..
I'm not once again speaking of myself ..most Catholics
,do not worship statues..But perhaps,
1 crest an atmosphere for them to be worshipped by the less knowledgeable let's,say ..
2 they give the,appearance of doing so publicly ...by some of the faithful parading usually Mary around as a stAtue ..sometimes the Scred Heart
APPEARANCE ..evidently was important ..
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
I didnt recall that quote. Its a good one and very applicable.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475902 Sep 11, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
A daughter of God????
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
And are,we not supposed to pray with fellow,Christians,..

I guess not in your book ..I pray alone .

I was asking for a REMEMBRANCE for our fellow,Americans today ..And yes,I prayed for their loved ones,..as we should today

God comfort them all .

I do nit pray on this,forum to SHOW holines,.

I kerp hoping we can find a,common bond in our Love for the,Saviour ..we are,MOSTLY professing Christians,here .

And AMERICA,...

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#475903 Sep 11, 2013
<quoted text>Of course he was. Its the same old song baby just like the Four Tops laid it down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2wYoLQc-x5gXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Wp05C4q9SsE

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475904 Sep 11, 2013
<quoted text>I didnt recall that quote. Its a good one and very applicable.
I knew I read something like it and it stuck

..But could not remember ...I'm not that good at remembering verses ..

Yes it conveys,what I am trying to say ...

I love movies and books that portray Jesus life ...even some fiction if it is biblical ..
the books by the Catholic priest FATHER Grizone ..pure fiction but about if Jesus was,on earth today ..a,series
I don't see this as idolatry ..or the appearance
This is one
http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-02-5434...

But I read it and others I have given before at home......

Location hidden

#475905 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And are,we not supposed to pray with fellow,Christians,..
I guess not in your book ..I pray alone .
I was asking for a REMEMBRANCE for our fellow,Americans today ..And yes,I prayed for their loved ones,..as we should today
God comfort them all .
I do nit pray on this,forum to SHOW holines,.
I kerp hoping we can find a,common bond in our Love for the,Saviour ..we are,MOSTLY professing Christians,here .
And AMERICA,...
Any idea what this means???? "that they may be seen of men".....

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#475906 Sep 11, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>And another thing about the creation of the other races. Have you noticed upon """"" ""CAREFUL" """"" examination of the scriptures how when God created the other races He told them to go out into the world and conquer it and subdue it but when He formed Adam He gave him no such order but placed him into the garden and told him to stay there to dress it and keep it. He didn't send him out into the world till he disobeyed Him and then as punishment then he was driven from the garden out into the world.
Snipped for space.

Genesis
…26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

28 God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Tony, the next few verses are giving an account of the creation of everything.
Genesis

4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made earth and heaven.

5 Now no shrub of the field was yet in the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the LORD God had not sent rain upon the earth, and there was no man to cultivate the ground.

Genesis
2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

Genesis
2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Genesis 2:8
And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Genesis 2:9
And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 2:15
And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Genesis 2:18
And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
Genesis 2:20
And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
Genesis 2:21
And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
Genesis 2:22
And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

You see Tony?

The latter is giving record of the creation.

There were no people already created before Adam and Eve.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475907 Sep 11, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
If, as you say, Catholics don't worship Mary, than your pope is an imposter!!!!
POPE PRAYER TO MARY.
Pope John Paul bowing before a statue of Mary in worship.
What does "in worship" mean???!!!!!!
HE IS NOT MY POPE ..

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#475908 Sep 11, 2013
Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Snipped for space.
Genesis
…26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
28 God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
Genesis
4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made earth and heaven.
5 Now no shrub of the field was yet in the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the LORD God had not sent rain upon the earth, and there was no man to cultivate the ground.
Genesis
2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
Genesis
2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
You see Tony?
This link totally destroys your theory that you posted above.

http://biblestudysite.com/creation.htm

What you posted was not a record of creation. It was demonstrating the TWO SEPARATE CREATION EVENTS. If you'd take the time to read the link I posted you would see that there were two separate creation events. The first event in which all the different races were CREATED andtold to goout and conquer the earth and to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and the second event in which the man Adam was formed and was placed into the garden and was not told to go out into the world and was not given an order to be fruitful and multiply etc.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#475909 Sep 11, 2013
Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Snipped for space.
Genesis
Genesis
Genesis
Genesis
You see Tony?
One thing Christians ignore is that Adam was not originally supposed to go out into the world but he was placed into the Garden of Eden to stay and to keepit. Yet God told someone to go out into the world to conquer it and have dominion over everything. Exactly when was Adam supposed to go out into the world and leave the garden of Eden? The fact that he was driven out eventually into the world was a PUNISHMENT. Fact is the ones that God told to go out into the word and have dominion over it were the people that He created before He formed Adam.

Mankind was given dominion over the animals of the wild hense they were told to take dominion over the world but Adam was given dominion over the domestic animals because God created Adam to be a farmer/horticulturalist hense he was placed into the garden to dress it and keep it.

Those of you that lack the spiritual eyes to see this at this time, you will understand it better by and by.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475910 Sep 11, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=Wp05C4q9SsEXX
Good nite and God bless to you both :)
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#475912 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
HE IS NOT MY POPE ..
The truth is a foreign concept to you. The term "worship" was used in the same way in the Bible that it used to be used in English. It could cover both the adoration given to God alone and the honor that is to be shown to certain human beings. In Hebrew, the term for worship is shakhah. It is appropriately used for humans in a large number of passages.

For example, in Genesis 37:7–9 Joseph relates two dreams that God gave him concerning how his family would honor him in coming years. Translated literally the passage states: "‘[B]ehold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and lo, my sheaf arose and stood upright; and behold, your sheaves gathered round it, and worshiped [shakhah] my sheaf.’... Then he dreamed another dream, and told it to his brothers, and said,‘Behold, I have dreamed another dream; and behold, the sun, the moon, and eleven stars were worshiping [shakhah] me.’"

In Genesis 49:2-27, Jacob pronounced a prophetic blessing on his sons, and concerning Judah he stated: "Judah, your brothers shall praise you; your hand shall be on the neck of your enemies; your father’s sons shall worship [shakhah] you (49:8)." And in Exodus 18:7, Moses honored his father-in-law, Jethro: "Moses went out to meet his father-in-law, and worshiped [shakhah] him and kissed him; and they asked each other of their welfare, and went into the tent."

Yet none of these passages were discussing the worship of adoration, the kind of worship given to God.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/saint-worship

Just another example of many why Fundies shouldnt all proclaim themselves authorities of what the bible really says.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min karl44 104,583
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 5 min Joe Fortuna 4,842
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min scientia potentia... 37,361
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 20 min X Pendable 182,267
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 25 min Triple Fine 969,837
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 40 min LAWEST100 618,286
Why do black children behave worse in school th... (Sep '10) 43 min hig_df 396
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr who 280,849
More from around the web