Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646494 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#475828 Sep 11, 2013
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that those pagan religions predated christianity's Madonna, some by thousands of years.
Did it ever occur to you that the story Messiah born of a virgin birth and that this savior would be killed and rise from the dead was just stolen from the Egyptians. The screen writers set the new story in Bethlehem and Jerusalem? after all religion is a big business and that a new religion depends on converts. What better way to steal an audience from one religion to another than to have similar stories and gods. Makes the new marks, er I mean flock more comfortable
<quoted text>
sounds like Islam to me
<quoted text>
so then what you are saying is that your loving god has condemned billions of people to an eternity of he!! because they were never exposed to either Judaism or Christianity because of where and when you god chose to have them born
Nothing or no one pre-dates God. So your comment is silly.
Also prophecy, it self tell of the birth and death of Jesus, long before Jesus was born.
There were religions, many religions seeking {a god} to serve,
so they created their own god's made them out of different materials, into shapes of things animals etc, or what they thought a god should look like.
Even made god's out of men of there choosing.
There is only one True Living God, HIs Son Jesus Christ came and died for the sins of the world, "HE WILL COME AGAIN TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD".
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475829 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
There were no scriptures for people to read because the Church kept them in languages no one COULD read only for the priests to disseminate knowledge
And the CHURCH resisted when bibles,were had by the people at last ..
I know you all deny it..the burnings and persecution.
Actual bible study was,not even a,part of your religion until recent decades ...Catechism was and probably still is more important ...
And you are,not a cradle Catholic ..I was ..
It does no good to do a Bible study if you're just going to interpret it yourself. Don't get me wrong, the Gospels are amazing and you certainly can learn allot about Jesus doing it yourself..
The Church read the Gospel allowed every single day for 2,000 yrs. They not only orally communicated the Gospels, they also demonstrated it. The Mass is the Gospel coming to life. "This is my Body"

The Church didn't keep the Bible from anyone.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#475830 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
AND SINCE THERE SEEM TO BE only the Catholics here since I posted in memory of 911
Why no response ...???
Bad enough no prayer at the memorial..why not a bit of time out here for it ..
RoSesz

In our parish today, a "Blue" Mass was said for the victims(living and dead) on 9/11.

I think the difficulties for the U.S., since that time have weighed upon the nation, and maybe in another generation or two, a more historical view will have taken place. At the present, the U.S., may be coming to understand that it cannot dictate to the world.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#475831 Sep 11, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Its not idolatry, you of all people should know that since you were Catholic How many times do we have to tell you.
I said it APPEARS as,idolatry ..And especially the processions through the,streets, with people bowing to the STATUE...can any of you say that this may not CAUSE the people doing the bowing to be praising Mary
In the form of the statue ..

And what about things like this ..people are going in and praying to a weeping statue in a store ...
http://m.youtube.com/watch...

I'm saying MAYBE PAD is right ..it's,having the statues that can lead to idolatry by the faithful

Many many stories like this
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475832 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't lie ..why would I about what religion I was in as a child ..That is insulting
You know so little about the Catholic faith... then when we try and explain it, you reject it anyway. Evidently you attended a Catholic grade school 50 yrs ago, so you know all about us.. Well, this thread is filled with supposed former Catholics who seem to know all about the Church.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#475833 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
There were no scriptures for people to read because the Church kept them in languages no one COULD read only for the priests to disseminate knowledge
And the CHURCH resisted when bibles,were had by the people at last ..
I know you all deny it..the burnings and persecution.
Actual bible study was,not even a,part of your religion until recent decades ...Catechism was and probably still is more important ...
And you are,not a cradle Catholic ..I was ..
Being a "cradle Catholic" then YOU, more than anyone, should know that Catholics (do not) worship idols or graven images!!!!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475834 Sep 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
RoSesz
In our parish today, a "Blue" Mass was said for the victims(living and dead) on 9/11.
I think the difficulties for the U.S., since that time have weighed upon the nation, and maybe in another generation or two, a more historical view will have taken place. At the present, the U.S., may be coming to understand that it cannot dictate to the world.
Hmm well I hope they mentioned the embassy dead a year ago ..when we were told their deaths were because of a stupid video ..And not terrorism planned for 911

Bikers,going to Washington for patriotic reasons denied permits..Muslims marching today got permits ..

This country is backwards ..no prayer at the memorial takes the cake and has for a couple of years now

But hey..it's only our prayers not welcome ...

Has nothing to do EITH US ring the world..this is,internal..
LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#475835 Sep 11, 2013
Why are all Christians hypocrites? Are all Christians hypocrites?"
Answer: Perhaps no accusation is more provocative than that of “hypocrite.” Unfortunately, some feel justified in their view that all Christians are hypocrites. The term “hypocrite” enjoys a rich heritage in the English language. The term comes to us via the Latin hypocrisies meaning “play-acting, pretense.” Further back, the word occurs in both classical and New Testament Greek and has the very same idea—to play a part, pretend.
This is the way the Lord Jesus employed the term. For example, when Christ taught the significance of prayer, fasting, and alms-giving for kingdom people, He discouraged us from following the examples of those who are hypocrites (Matthew 6:2, 5, 16). By making long public prayers, employing extreme measures to ensure others noticed their fasts, and parading their gifts to the Temple and the poor, they revealed only an outward attachment to the Lord. While the Pharisees performed well their dramatic role as public examples of religious virtue, they failed miserably in the inner world of the heart where true virtue resides (Matthew 23:13-33; Mark 7:20-23).
Jesus never called His disciples hypocrites. That name was given only to misguided religious zealots. Rather, He called His own “followers,”“babes,”“sheep,” and His “church.” In addition, there is a warning in the New Testament about the sin of hypocrisy (1 Peter 2:1), which Peter calls “insincerity.” Also, two blatant examples of hypocrisy are recorded in the church. In Acts 5:1-10, two disciples are exposed for pretending to be more generous than they were. The consequence was severe. And, of all people, Peter is charged with leading a group of hypocrites in their treatment of Gentile believers (Galatians 2:13).
From the New Testament teaching, then, we may draw at least two conclusions. First, hypocrites do exist among professing Christians. They were present in the beginning, and, according to Jesus’ parable of the tares and wheat, they will certainly exist until the end of the age (Matthew 13:18-30). In addition, if even an apostle may be guilty of hypocrisy, there is no reason to believe “ordinary” Christians will be free from it. We must always be on our guard that we do not fall into the very same temptations (1 Corinthians 10:12).
Of course, not everyone who claims to be a Christian is truly a Christian. Perhaps all or most of the famous hypocrites among Christians were in fact pretenders and deceivers. To this day, prominent Christian leaders have fallen into terrible sins.
CONT
LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#475836 Sep 11, 2013
CONT
Financial and sexual scandals sometimes seem to plague the Christian community. However, instead of taking the actions of a few and using them to denigrate the whole community of Christians, we need to ask whether all those who claim to be Christians really are. Numerous biblical passages confirm that those who truly belong to Christ will exhibit the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Jesus’ parable of the seed and the soils in Matthew 13 makes it clear that not all professions of faith in Him are genuine. Sadly, many who profess to belong to Him will be stunned one day to hear Him say to them,“I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!”(Matthew 7:23).
Second, while it should not surprise us that people who pretend to be more holy than they are claim to be Christians, we cannot conclude that the church is made up almost entirely of hypocrites. One surely may concede that all of us who name the name of Jesus Christ remain sinners even after our sin is forgiven. That is, even though we are saved from sins’ eternal penalty (Romans 5:1; 6:23), we are yet to be saved and delivered from the presence of sin in our lives (1 John 1:8-9), including the sin of hypocrisy. Through our living faith in the Lord Jesus, we continually overcome sin’s power until we are finally delivered (1 John 5:4-5).
All Christians fail to perfectly live up to the standard the Bible teaches. No Christian has ever been perfectly Christ-like. However, there are many Christians who are genuinely seeking to live the Christian life and are relying more and more on the Holy Spirit to convict, change, and empower them. There have been multitudes of Christians who have lived their lives free from scandal. No Christian is perfect, but making a mistake and failing to reach perfection in this life is not the same thing as being a hypocrite.
GOTQUESTIONS.COM
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475837 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
AND SINCE THERE SEEM TO BE only the Catholics here since I posted in memory of 911
Why no response ...???
Bad enough no prayer at the memorial..why not a bit of time out here for it ..
I had a rare day off, so I attended Mass at the Church of the Assumption in downtown saint Paul, and I prayed for the victims of 9-11. I did not see your post. Frankly, I will pray with anyone who's sincere in their faith. I'm reluctant to take many of you seriously though, due to your never-ending slander towards my faith. Lies are essential for your religion, so just whom am I praying along side??

On a side note... The Church of the Assumption is completely filled with statues. Many many saints are depicted over looking the alter... Like as if Heaven is viewing the Holy Mass. Its beautiful. So I DID offer a prayer for the fundies who are trapped in that ignorant fed religion they call 'Christianity'. To somehow think this display at Assumption makes God jealous is idiotic. There is no room for that sort of 'forced stupidity' in Christianity.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475838 Sep 11, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a "cradle Catholic" then YOU, more than anyone, should know that Catholics (do not) worship idols or graven images!!!!
Oh good grief APpearance ..And possible temptation to worship the statue ..APPEARANCE APPEARANCE..it's an English word ..

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#475839 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
KNIT and pray ..I said I know,exactly what it is ...I can speak for myself ..And I said I grew up Catholic
That was,NOT the point ...of the post ..the appearance of idolatry ..was,
Rose. It does not matter what you say- how intelligent, how researched, how truthful, how sincere, how accurate, how common sense. Those who are posting these comments to you will say anything to come out "on top". For example- "you may have been Cath but you were stupid to understand". Or, another favorite is "you never were Catholic. You are lying" Or " you werent a "true Catholic. Or "you werent a "mainstream Catholic".I have been " slimed" the same way by these people.
LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#475840 Sep 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
RoSesz
wHAT IS A BLUE MASS.
LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#475841 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm well I hope they mentioned the embassy dead a year ago ..when we were told their deaths were because of a stupid video ..And not terrorism planned for 911
Bikers,going to Washington for patriotic reasons denied permits..Muslims marching today got permits ..
This country is backwards ..no prayer at the memorial takes the cake and has for a couple of years now
But hey..it's only our prayers not welcome ...
Has nothing to do EITH US ring the world..this is,internal..
tHAT SHOULD NOT STOP CHRISTIANS FROM WALKING AROUND THE WHITE HOUSE AND PRAY FOR THE U.S.A. EVERY CHRISTIAN THAT SITS IN SILENCE AND DOES NOTHING FORGETS WHO THEY ARE IN CHRISTIAN.
YOU DON'T NEED PERMISSION FOR A MAN WHEN GOD SAYS TO PRAY , THEN PRAY IF GOD IS FOR YOU WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475842 Sep 11, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You know so little about the Catholic faith... then when we try and explain it, you reject it anyway. Evidently you attended a Catholic grade school 50 yrs ago, so you know all about us.. Well, this thread is filled with supposed former Catholics who seem to know all about the Church.
I know and remember what I learned for the 10 years,of schooling yes..
And about 6 years after at Church .

So yes,I do know ...of course you all keep changing things ...well hey change is good..this country sure has ...

What I do not understand is the polls of Catholics and their votes .

Was reading about this ...And despite the CHURCH ACTUALKY coming out AGSINST pro choice candidates,about half of Catholics voted for them .

That floored me ..really ...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475845 Sep 11, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Rose. It does not matter what you say- how intelligent, how researched, how truthful, how sincere, how accurate, how common sense. Those who are posting these comments to you will say anything to come out "on top". For example- "you may have been Cath but you were stupid to understand". Or, another favorite is "you never were Catholic. You are lying" Or " you werent a "true Catholic. Or "you werent a "mainstream Catholic".I have been " slimed" the same way by these people.

The thing that annoys,me most is being told,I did not learn something ..I did ..I know,what it was,..And your correct ..even in writing ..some don't BELIEVE anything was ever different than what they know,now ..even people who should remember deny what they learned,..

Maybe it's,selective amnesia ..

Anyway I posted this,before with a,prayer ...still makes me cry

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475847 Sep 11, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
tHAT SHOULD NOT STOP CHRISTIANS FROM WALKING AROUND THE WHITE HOUSE AND PRAY FOR THE U.S.A. EVERY CHRISTIAN THAT SITS IN SILENCE AND DOES NOTHING FORGETS WHO THEY ARE IN CHRISTIAN.
YOU DON'T NEED PERMISSION FOR A MAN WHEN GOD SAYS TO PRAY , THEN PRAY IF GOD IS FOR YOU WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU.
Oh it appears,they rode any way ..the,police helped them ..

GOD,BLESS THEM .

I POSTED A THREAD and my prayer on eAch board,I go on .

We,have to speak out or lose,our voice ...this,place we are in now,where,Christians,and Jews have no voice in the public is awful..

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/09/11/2-million...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475848 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok fine ..I'm saying that people who know the commandments ..see carrying a statue down a street while people bow and make the sign of the Cross ..as idolatry ..And think the commandments are not being followed ..it appears to be idolatry .
Crowning the Stsue appears the same ..And as a young kid I was of a mind that our grotto was a place Mary was ....
People who "know the commandments" also presumably "know" what a statue is.

People who don't bother to "know" what other people believe and adjudge the proceedings they may witness as having the "appearance of idolatry" are called "ignorant".

Should you and I tailor our religious practice to accommodate those who will not take the time to try to understand what we're doing and want to judge us-tailor our belief and practice to appease the sensibility of the willfully ignorant?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475850 Sep 11, 2013
<quoted text>Rose. It does not matter what you say- how intelligent, how researched, how truthful, how sincere, how accurate, how common sense. Those who are posting these comments to you will say anything to come out "on top". For example- "you may have been Cath but you were stupid to understand". Or, another favorite is "you never were Catholic. You are lying" Or " you werent a "true Catholic. Or "you werent a "mainstream Catholic".I have been " slimed" the same way by these people.
Rose isn't giving us anything terribly intelligent nor researched here, Herm.

Her basic take is "I know it's not idolatry, but what will the neighbors think?", as if that's some ecclesial goal to be served.

She places the onus on Catholics to not do something because her protestant brothers and sisters (not HER, of course, but others) may find it unseemly.

Don't watch us if it bugs you.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#475851 Sep 11, 2013
I wonder how she'd react if she saw Orthodox Christians as they venerated icons. Perhaps you'd try to tell her that while you're kissing the icon and signing yourself that you're not worshipping it, even though to her it would APPEAR you are. Or perhaps you'd not say a word and let her continue in her ignorance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min Toby 105,569
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min Nohweh 48,387
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 22 min KellyP_Onuandher 2,028
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 45 min Rosa_Winkel 971,621
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 50 min spinosaurus baryonyx 618,563
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 56 min Rosa_Winkel 445,708
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 1 hr Truthiness 5
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 281,238
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr Freebird USA 182,639
More from around the web