Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683544 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#475810 Sep 11, 2013
Dan wrote:
Dan I phrased that badly ..I know,WHAT IT IS ..I was in sodality blue capes and all ..

I mean to the world this crowning of the statue appears as idolatry .

Did not the apostles warn of acts that can be construed as sins by non believers ...

For myself I still go in Catholic church at times ..yo the station's on Good Friday to remember ...as I think Churches should commemorate THST day ...

Our little CHURCH did once ..just quiet meditation ..before we merged.

But I digress ..I talk to God THEre ..Not the statues.

But as a kid ..And to outsiders ..it does appear the stat u e of Mary I'd an idol when she is crowned ..just saying

Plus countries and communities where they parade the Mary statue through the streets ...it most certainly looks like idol worship
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475811 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan I phrased that badly ..I know,WHAT IT IS ..I was in sodality blue capes and all ..
I mean to the world this crowning of the statue appears as idolatry .
Did not the apostles warn of acts that can be construed as sins by non believers ...
For myself I still go in Catholic church at times ..yo the station's on Good Friday to remember ...as I think Churches should commemorate THST day ...
Our little CHURCH did once ..just quiet meditation ..before we merged.
But I digress ..I talk to God THEre ..Not the statues.
But as a kid ..And to outsiders ..it does appear the stat u e of Mary I'd an idol when she is crowned ..just saying
Plus countries and communities where they parade the Mary statue through the streets ...it most certainly looks like idol worship
If you "know what it is", why then tell me that it "appears as idolatry"?

Yes, the uneducated or ignorant may regard it in that manner. I'm not sure that the burden is upon the faithful to hew to the ignorance of those who would cast aspersions on their beliefs.

These same people whose sensibilities are to be safeguarded may also render a verdict upon non-Catholics to the effect that they "worship" the Bible. Should I suggest that you refrain from carrying one in public, lest you be judged in that manner?
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#475813 Sep 11, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I've answered this question. In fact, I've agreed with you. God, Jesus, nor His Apostles never commanded a Bible be compiled, less alone which Books were to be inspired.
* The Bible is the result of sacred tradition.
* The Christian Bible is from the Catholic Church.
* Jews did not have a set canon of Books until the 1st century. Until this, various Jewish sects had different Books they considered inspired.(see the Dead Sea Scrolls)
While it is true most Jews had no notion of a fixed Canon prior to AD 90 the Saducees did not believe anything after the first 5 books were valid. Furthermore not all Jews accepted the council of Jamina. The Ethiopian Jews have all the books. Those at the council of Jamina rejected Jesus and rejected the books they knew Christians were using to proclaim Christ. Clearly Maccabbees was recognized before this council as Jesus as a devout Jew celebrated Hunukah. What is clear is that long before Jesus was born the Jewish Scribes who translated to Greek the Septuigant and recognized those books as scripture. Jesus nor the Apostles ever disputed them. It is also evident that many of the statements found in the NT came from them.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#475815 Sep 11, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>I never said you worship statues

And that is not because the CC believes you should worship them,but that the manufacture of them is in direct disobedience to the Father!
Hogwash!! For the 1st 1300 years of the Church, icons (statues where used exclusively in the Churches because there was no bible (as we know it today) until the 17th century. Statutes were used by "all Christians" for visual images, as they depicted what the biblical individuals looked like, in the abstract!!---i.e Moses, John the Baptist,the Blessed Mother, Jesus. etc....NO ONE was worshiping any idols, statutes, graven images or an object!! You "fundies" really need to get a grip on reality of what the Catholic Church ACTUALLY, believes, teaches and how and who they worship!!!!!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475816 Sep 11, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
If you "know what it is", why then tell me that it "appears as idolatry"?
Yes, the uneducated or ignorant may regard it in that manner. I'm not sure that the burden is upon the faithful to hew to the ignorance of those who would cast aspersions on their beliefs.
These same people whose sensibilities are to be safeguarded may also render a verdict upon non-Catholics to the effect that they "worship" the Bible. Should I suggest that you refrain from carrying one in public, lest you be judged in that manner?
Ok fine ..I'm saying that people who know the commandments ..see carrying a statue down a street while people bow and make the sign of the Cross ..as idolatry ..And think the commandments are not being followed ..it appears to be idolatry .

Crowning the Stsue appears the same ..And as a young kid I was of a mind that our grotto was a place Mary was ....

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475817 Sep 11, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hogwash!! For the 1st 1300 years of the Church, icons (statues where used exclusively in the Churches because there was no bible (as we know it today) until the 17th century. Statutes were used by "all Christians" for visual images, as they depicted what the biblical individuals looked like, in the abstract!!---i.e Moses, John the Baptist,the Blessed Mother, Jesus. etc....NO ONE was worshiping any idols, statutes, graven images or an object!! You "fundies" really need to get a grip on reality of what the Catholic Church ACTUALLY, believes, teaches and how and who they worship!!!!!
There were no scriptures for people to read because the Church kept them in languages no one COULD read only for the priests to disseminate knowledge

And the CHURCH resisted when bibles,were had by the people at last ..

I know you all deny it..the burnings and persecution.

Actual bible study was,not even a,part of your religion until recent decades ...Catechism was and probably still is more important ...

And you are,not a cradle Catholic ..I was ..
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#475818 Sep 11, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Actually nothing of itself is evil.A statue made of clay,and all the pictures,sculptured creations and whatnot.Nothing in its form of being made from the elements of the earth are evil in and of itself.
But God told us not to do so of His Faith and His Way,and His life for us.We are not to be like the pagans,or the false religions of the earth..........shortened for response(human being)
What men and women do to honor and show their devotion to God does not always meet the realm of what God would receive,not that He is not full of compassion,but that of what He wnts,as opposed to what we think He wants from us. You know this in your life with yourwife(spouse). Even though you have been married to her for some time,how often have you bought something for her that at times she will reveal to you that she hated it or disliked it?
Religion is the human approach to God. We are believers, sanctified by Christ's precious Blood,we were sought out by Him,and God chose how He should be honored through that wondrous sacrifice of His dear Son.Our roots are Judaism,because the Hebrews were God's ELECT! Not the Buddhists,or Hindus and so on.And NOT that God hates them,but HE chose to work His true faith through the Jews than to us believers of the WAY,which is Christ!
It all boils down to who God is and His Will.How often did our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ tell us that we must do the "WILL of MY Father in Heaven"?
Greetings Pad

Peace

I am not presenting the point that earthly things are either good nor evil, rather that their potential use is good or evil. In this case of statues, beads, writings(inside and outside Christianity).

So it is better to not look from the outside, and think to yourself, "they" are doing something that goes against what God said in a strict sense. Rather it is better to allow Jesus to be the victim of our sins, and follow the example of Jesus in leading a virtuous life. That is achieved by being humble. Doing this avoids/disrupts/negates the outward appearance. And then of course hypocrisy.(Think of the discourse on the beam in the eye of the beholder....)

Pride and hypocrisy are a much more serious offense to the Will of God, than using one's creative skill in making statues, prayers(with beads), and writings. But not as a substitute for Jesus, nor even a mediator between a person and Jesus, but as tools for pursuing a virtuous life.

Statues and writings can be used either good or evil purposes in one's life. A virtuous life, takes a lifetime, and tools help one stay focused.

I am looking a bit ideally on this, and there are the practical problems of popularity, and a tendency for one to "slip" back into the mentality of the earthen man in practicing a virtuous life as well, which you mention....

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475819 Sep 11, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Dan, Rose should know what May Crowning is, she went to Catholic schools. Maybe she lied to us. My little girl in kindergarten was chosen to crown Mary many years ago. It was beautiful! Rose should know we do not worship Mary,after all she was Catholic. Many have told her but she still can't comprehend it.
KNIT and pray ..I said I know,exactly what it is ...I can speak for myself ..And I said I grew up Catholic

That was,NOT the point ...of the post ..the appearance of idolatry ..was,
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475820 Sep 11, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Good.
Which makes my opinion of Christianity just as valid and accurate in its points.
a. Men believing men.
b. There are no "God inspired" texts, or they all are.
Thanks for responding.
Your concept of God is from men too. So if I believe your concept, it will still be men believing men.
Men men men la menly men men. Do dah do wap . Menly men men.
Do it to a Rush tune though. Lol

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475821 Sep 11, 2013
AND SINCE THERE SEEM TO BE only the Catholics here since I posted in memory of 911

Why no response ...???

Bad enough no prayer at the memorial..why not a bit of time out here for it ..

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475822 Sep 11, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Dan, Rose should know what May Crowning is, she went to Catholic schools. Maybe she lied to us. My little girl in kindergarten was chosen to crown Mary many years ago. It was beautiful! Rose should know we do not worship Mary,after all she was Catholic. Many have told her but she still can't comprehend it.
And I don't lie ..why would I about what religion I was in as a child ..That is insulting
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#475824 Sep 11, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>I never said you worship statues Clay.I said and say it again,your church the CC is in disobedience to God our Father,because of the manufacture of the statues,and carved images that were and always will be disdained by the God of Heaven.
If the Early Apostles gave rules to the early Christians to avoid anything to do with idols,I do not see them giving to the Christians the license to fabricate or create or make statues to depict Jesus,Mary and other saints including the Apostles.
You are part of a system that has done this for centuries,I am not accusing you personally of anything.I am stating for the record that those statues you take for granted are part of a false belief,and not that of the God of Abraham,Isaac and Jacob.The First Commandment is loud and clear,and the CC is in disobedience.
And that is not because the CC believes you should worship them,but that the manufacture of them is in direct disobedience to the Father!
Pad

Peace

Perhaps it is not the CC that is in disobedience, rather it is the individuals within the CC, as well as individuals within all denominations large or small that break the First Commandment.

The first time a document is made, a set of by-laws, a clique group arises, a picture us made, a preacher talks about his experiences in the pulpit, then INDIVIDUALS start breaking the First Commandment.

All these things are to help lead a virtuous life as Christ did in the Will of God. It is not the fault of the CC or denominations, church groups large or small that the "listener" is not able to listen correctly to the message.

Don't worry. God has things well in hand.

Peace, my brother in Christ....
LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#475828 Sep 11, 2013
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that those pagan religions predated christianity's Madonna, some by thousands of years.
Did it ever occur to you that the story Messiah born of a virgin birth and that this savior would be killed and rise from the dead was just stolen from the Egyptians. The screen writers set the new story in Bethlehem and Jerusalem? after all religion is a big business and that a new religion depends on converts. What better way to steal an audience from one religion to another than to have similar stories and gods. Makes the new marks, er I mean flock more comfortable
<quoted text>
sounds like Islam to me
<quoted text>
so then what you are saying is that your loving god has condemned billions of people to an eternity of he!! because they were never exposed to either Judaism or Christianity because of where and when you god chose to have them born
Nothing or no one pre-dates God. So your comment is silly.
Also prophecy, it self tell of the birth and death of Jesus, long before Jesus was born.
There were religions, many religions seeking {a god} to serve,
so they created their own god's made them out of different materials, into shapes of things animals etc, or what they thought a god should look like.
Even made god's out of men of there choosing.
There is only one True Living God, HIs Son Jesus Christ came and died for the sins of the world, "HE WILL COME AGAIN TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD".
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475829 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
There were no scriptures for people to read because the Church kept them in languages no one COULD read only for the priests to disseminate knowledge
Actual bible study was,not even a,part of your religion until recent decades ...Catechism was and probably still is more important ...
It does no good to do a Bible study if you're just going to interpret it yourself. Don't get me wrong, the Gospels are amazing and you certainly can learn allot about Jesus doing it yourself..
The Church read the Gospel allowed every single day for 2,000 yrs. They not only orally communicated the Gospels, they also demonstrated it. The Mass is the Gospel coming to life. "This is my Body"

The Church didn't keep the Bible from anyone.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#475830 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
AND SINCE THERE SEEM TO BE only the Catholics here since I posted in memory of 911
Why no response ...???
Bad enough no prayer at the memorial..why not a bit of time out here for it ..
RoSesz

In our parish today, a "Blue" Mass was said for the victims(living and dead) on 9/11.

I think the difficulties for the U.S., since that time have weighed upon the nation, and maybe in another generation or two, a more historical view will have taken place. At the present, the U.S., may be coming to understand that it cannot dictate to the world.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475831 Sep 11, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Its not idolatry, you of all people should know that since you were Catholic How many times do we have to tell you.
I said it APPEARS as,idolatry ..And especially the processions through the,streets, with people bowing to the STATUE...can any of you say that this may not CAUSE the people doing the bowing to be praising Mary
In the form of the statue ..

And what about things like this ..people are going in and praying to a weeping statue in a store ...
http://m.youtube.com/watch...

I'm saying MAYBE PAD is right ..it's,having the statues that can lead to idolatry by the faithful

Many many stories like this
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475832 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't lie ..why would I about what religion I was in as a child ..That is insulting
You know so little about the Catholic faith... then when we try and explain it, you reject it anyway. Evidently you attended a Catholic grade school 50 yrs ago, so you know all about us.. Well, this thread is filled with supposed former Catholics who seem to know all about the Church.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#475833 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a "cradle Catholic" then YOU, more than anyone, should know that Catholics (do not) worship idols or graven images!!!!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475834 Sep 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
RoSesz
In our parish today, a "Blue" Mass was said for the victims(living and dead) on 9/11.
I think the difficulties for the U.S., since that time have weighed upon the nation, and maybe in another generation or two, a more historical view will have taken place. At the present, the U.S., may be coming to understand that it cannot dictate to the world.
Hmm well I hope they mentioned the embassy dead a year ago ..when we were told their deaths were because of a stupid video ..And not terrorism planned for 911

Bikers,going to Washington for patriotic reasons denied permits..Muslims marching today got permits ..

This country is backwards ..no prayer at the memorial takes the cake and has for a couple of years now

But hey..it's only our prayers not welcome ...

Has nothing to do EITH US ring the world..this is,internal..
LTM

Terrace Bay, Canada

#475835 Sep 11, 2013
Why are all Christians hypocrites? Are all Christians hypocrites?"
Answer: Perhaps no accusation is more provocative than that of “hypocrite.” Unfortunately, some feel justified in their view that all Christians are hypocrites. The term “hypocrite” enjoys a rich heritage in the English language. The term comes to us via the Latin hypocrisies meaning “play-acting, pretense.” Further back, the word occurs in both classical and New Testament Greek and has the very same idea—to play a part, pretend.
This is the way the Lord Jesus employed the term. For example, when Christ taught the significance of prayer, fasting, and alms-giving for kingdom people, He discouraged us from following the examples of those who are hypocrites (Matthew 6:2, 5, 16). By making long public prayers, employing extreme measures to ensure others noticed their fasts, and parading their gifts to the Temple and the poor, they revealed only an outward attachment to the Lord. While the Pharisees performed well their dramatic role as public examples of religious virtue, they failed miserably in the inner world of the heart where true virtue resides (Matthew 23:13-33; Mark 7:20-23).
Jesus never called His disciples hypocrites. That name was given only to misguided religious zealots. Rather, He called His own “followers,”“babes,”“sheep,” and His “church.” In addition, there is a warning in the New Testament about the sin of hypocrisy (1 Peter 2:1), which Peter calls “insincerity.” Also, two blatant examples of hypocrisy are recorded in the church. In Acts 5:1-10, two disciples are exposed for pretending to be more generous than they were. The consequence was severe. And, of all people, Peter is charged with leading a group of hypocrites in their treatment of Gentile believers (Galatians 2:13).
From the New Testament teaching, then, we may draw at least two conclusions. First, hypocrites do exist among professing Christians. They were present in the beginning, and, according to Jesus’ parable of the tares and wheat, they will certainly exist until the end of the age (Matthew 13:18-30). In addition, if even an apostle may be guilty of hypocrisy, there is no reason to believe “ordinary” Christians will be free from it. We must always be on our guard that we do not fall into the very same temptations (1 Corinthians 10:12).
Of course, not everyone who claims to be a Christian is truly a Christian. Perhaps all or most of the famous hypocrites among Christians were in fact pretenders and deceivers. To this day, prominent Christian leaders have fallen into terrible sins.
CONT

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min Here For Now 619,684
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 23 min Aura Mytha 15,295
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 40 min Buck Crick 983,028
Sex 2 hr Supersquirrel69 1
O.J. Simpson is about to be a free man once again. 3 hr Unanimous 7
Venting Against FAKE Americans 5 hr Mint Julep 3
JakeDover34 Add me on snap!! 7 hr Jakedover34 1
More from around the web