Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665069 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

truth

Australia

#473609 Aug 28, 2013
in this city nothing exist
why i see that

is that ability from my side
or
someone put that in my mind

how you call that on your way
with modern diploma
Regina

Bloomfield, NJ

#473610 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
AND BTW, I haven't used those stupid judgie icons in years and I doubt Clay, Regina or Hojo use them either. If you think you know who's doing it, just say so, quit using it as a smear tactic against all Catholics here.
Anthony, she thinks it's me. Remember back when one of the non-Catholics was posting sets of ten or twenty of the stupid things on all our posts? I looked around topix and found some boards where people talked about that kind of nonsense and a few explained that there were some ways to post multiples icons. I even posted about it to the board a few times. I happened to tell her about it and now she thinks that every time the icons change, it's me, lol!!

I have no idea why she thinks there's some kind of special handshake or code word required. All one has to do is judge the post and either one, two, or all three icons will change. If more than one person judges, they will definitely change. People do lurk on these boards all the time. What a surprise!!!!

I know this is more than you ever wanted to know about judging topix posts, LOL! Frankly, I think they're stupid and seldom use them anymore unless something is funny. I'm not sure why they bother her so much or why she thinks every time one is posted that it's me. Every time she shows up all the Catholic posts are judged negatively, so we could easily say the same thing about her. But then again, according to those two, every Catholic who posts here is me in disguise.:)
A little paranoid if you ask me.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#473611 Aug 28, 2013
Herme - FYI - I learned a long time ago that a conclusion for religion cannot be made because in truth, we really don't know what the conclusion is.

Those who have concluded on anything spiritual is in fact, only a speculative conclusion without any real proof that the belief occurs.

Now if you use evidence that has been collected, as with NDEs, as June lightly posted on, those show that your belief - "we judge ourselves" - would be somewhat accurate, but "God" nor Jesus does any judging.

So with utilizing this information, and the NDE story as a clue, very few show that "we burn".

"Burning in Hell" is a man's tactic to get someone to beleive a certain way, and seems to work with gullible people who seem to can't take on responsibility for themself.

Oops - I just gave an accurate description of Christianity. My bad.

:o)

Best regards to you sir!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473612 Aug 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Transubstantiation was defined because the Catholic Church thinks it can speak for God and knows God's processes.It believes it has Christ's Vicar on earth. It believes He is infallible when speaking ex Cathedra. It believes other churches are not full cburches. Through its flirting with philosophy which it did not create and received much later than the East, who invented it, it produced innovations.When I watch EWTN they refer more to Catholic documents such as Catechisms and Vaticsn rulings than Christs Word and the Bible.To actually think that you know the process by which the host becomes Christ is the height of arrogance.
I researched it Nick.

The Orthodox Confession of 1640 says it accepts the Latin understanding of the Eucharist.

The Council of Jerusalem in 1672 REJECTS the doctrine of consubstantiation as a heresy by Luther.

Give us a link Nick! Show us where the Orthodox teach consubstantiation. C'mon, Nick, your wife said that's what you teach..show us!

Albuquerque, NM

#473613 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong...on so many levels Nick..where do I start...
1. POST AN ORTHODOX LINK SO WE CAN KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GETTING THIS. PLEASE!!!!
2. "...but co-exists with the physical bread so that the bread is both a bread and the body of Jesus." Consubstantiation the way you explain it is the Lutheran heresy condemned by the Orthodox. No Orthodox would support it.
3. Transubstantiation was defined because an heretical monk in the middle ages DENIED is was physical. You have is bass-ackwards.
4. The ONLY real and somewhat reasonable objection the Orthodox have re the doctrine is that it attempts to explain that which is unexplainable. There are no differences to what we believe it truly is.
You need to stop this pretense...you're trying so hard to not sound Catholic you end up trashing your own faith.
Form an outside voice - I didn't get that at all from Herme.

Although I did get this:
- why do you want him to agree with you so bad?
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473614 Aug 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's cut to the chase and tell you what you desire to be told.
The one and only god loves you and your rituals and your beliefs and will turn his back on all others. And for being so disrespectful to you who tells the one and only truth, they will have to spend eternity in hell.
THERE ... are you satisfied NOW???
You are still making things up in order to be offended by them.

Albuquerque, NM

#473615 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>Transubstantiation was defined because the Catholic Church thinks it can speak for God and knows God's processes.It believes it has Christ's Vicar on earth. It believes He is infallible when speaking ex Cathedra. It believes other churches are not full cburches. Through its flirting with philosophy which it did not create and received much later than the East, who invented it, it produced innovations.When I watch EWTN they refer more to Catholic documents such as Catechisms and Vaticsn rulings than Christs Word and the Bible.To actually think that you know the process by which the host becomes Christ is the height of arrogance.
WHUP!! There it is!!

:o)

Nicely done Herme!

*applauds*

Someone had to say it - finally!!
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473616 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Anthony.
BASED ON YOUR PAST RECORD OF TRUTH AND CREDIBILITY RE ORTHODOXY I KNEW I COULD ACCEPT YOUR COMMENT AT FACE VALUE. NEVERTHELESS, I LOOKED UP CONSUB ON THE WEB AND FOUND A FEW THINGS.
First lets explain the difference between Transubstantiation and Consubstantiation:
Consubstantiation is the view that the bread and wine of Communion / the Lord's Supper are spiritually the flesh and blood of Jesus, but yet the bread and wine are still actually only bread and wine.
In this way, it is different from transubstantiation where the bread and the wine are believed to actually become the body and blood of Jesus.
Consubstantiation essentially teaches that Jesus is "with, in, and under" the bread and wine, but is not literally the bread and wine.
The prefix Trans- says that a change took place, the bread actually became the body of Jesus and the wine actually became the blood of Jesus. The prefix Con- says that the bread does not become the body of Jesus but co-exists with the physical bread so that the bread is both a bread and the body of Jesus.
Now we have to deal with a difficult and little understood problemconcerning the change of the elements into the Body and Blood of the resurrected and glorified Lord. The problem arose in the middle ages, when some Roman Catholic “theologians” started teaching that the bread and wine are “physically” changed (or trans-substantiated), so that the bread physically turns into flesh and the wine physically turns into blood!
The Orthodox never accepted this innovation and actually condemned it. To us, the change is “mystical” and not “physical.” This is explained to us in the beautiful “Prayer of Reconciliation by the
Thrice Blessed John.”1
Exalted above all the power of speech, and all the thoughts of the mind, is the richness of Thy gifts, O our Master. For that which Thou hast hidden from the wise and the prudent, Thou hast revealed unto us babes.
And those things which prophets and kings have desired to see and have not, the same didst Thou grant unto us, we the sinners, that we may serve It and be purified thereby, when Thou didst ordain unto us the Economy of Thine Only-Begotten Son, and the hidden mystery of this
sacrifice, which has neither the blood of the Law nor the righteousness of the flesh roundabout It. Behold the Lamb is spiritual and the knife is verbal and immaterial; that sacrifice which we offer unto Thee!
What we are told here, is that the change of the gifts is a “hidden mystery” that is exalted far above the limits of human thought or the power of speech. It is hidden from the wise and prudent, who want to
explain it in simplistic terms and reduce the “hidden mystery” into a physical trans-substantiation. But it is revealed to us, the “babes” who, in faith, believe in the mystery without any probing into the nature of the mystery, the “babes” who cry out aloud,“I believe, so be it.”
John Bishop of Bostra,(6th century) contemporary and friend
of St. Severus of Antioch
"the Lord's Supper are spiritually the flesh and blood of Jesus,.."

Huh? The flesh and blood of Jesus are not spiritual, they are physical. They didn't crucify a ghost.
samyaza ancient one

Alice, TX

#473617 Aug 28, 2013
The Roman Catholic church is not the true Christian Church. back in the day they mixed paganism with Christianity. that is why they bow down to statues. don't get me wrong; I was born into the Catholic faith of Christianity, but during my teens back in the early 80's I started asking Questions to the priest which he couldn't answer or he will get angry. then I left the Catholic faith, and tried the Protestant faith of Christianity, but I couldn't find the answers I was searching for, so now I pray to my "LORD" and "HEAVENLY FATHER"(GOD) alone,and read the bible.
Regina

Bloomfield, NJ

#473618 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
And also BTW, did you notice the icons changed on your post? At first it was 3 negatives, now it's negative x 2, and two positives. The system is set up to add up the negatives and positives for each of them and if one outnumbers the other, that's what's displayed. In a few minutes it may change again, not because someone is manipulating it, it's because more positives are being added than negatives.
Thank you, that's what I was trying to explain. Even NASL tried to tell her that a few weeks ago, but she ignored him. Anyone can do it. I'm getting sick and tired of their paranoid insults and false accusations.
Regina

Bloomfield, NJ

#473619 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Post a link Nick! How hard is it? We all do when we cite someone else's work.
What he posted sounds like a denial of the Real Presence, which contradicts Orthodox belief.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473620 Aug 28, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Habakkuk 2:18
"Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak.
Isaiah 46:7
They lift it to their shoulders and carry it; they set it up in its place, and there it stands. From that spot it cannot move. Even though someone cries out to it, it cannot answer; it cannot save them from their troubles.
Jeremiah 10:5
Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."
I am beginning to think that anyone who repeatedly accuses Catholics of worshiping statues, despite being reassured otherwise, actually make these accusations out of a real insecurity about their own intellect, feeling very much that is really easy to mistake a statue for God. This may also be the reason why the same folks take careful measures not to have any religious object in their surroundings other than the Bible, for fear that they may, without realizing it, forget that such an item is not God and fall into worshipping it.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#473621 Aug 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
Christ's Church would have to be visible. The truth can't be kept hidden if our salvation is dependant on it.
The Gospel has to be proclaimed from the rooftops so the world can know Jesus.
When Pope Francis was elected, the entire world saw him step out on the balcony. Every TV channel was tuned in. Al- Jazerra carried it live to the Muslim world. Every leader in every country sat and watched the Pope of the Catholic Church be introduced. Catholics around the world flocked to Mass that evening to pray in unison for our Pope.
What I'm saying is that this could only be the Church Christ started. Its visible. Its in union. Its one fold. It preached the Gospel to every corner of the planet.
"Cry me a River" The world's acceptance of your RCC does not mean for one second that The Eternal God is blessed by such.

Jesus told Pontius Pilate that HIS"kingdom was not of this world."So when the world wants to recognize a religious system,it will praise it and honor its credentials,but the truth is God's kingdom is still not going to be accepted or praised,or tolerated.

Clay,I can understand always where you are coming from,but like Simon Peter who wanted to exalt Jesus at the wrong times,you fail to realize that Jesus might be saying to you"Get behind me Satan"as you look to the world to enhance your religious system,and that is JUST not the way of our Lord.

You are blinded by the Pomp and Circumstance of your Church,it is gaudy and spectacular,and no matter how humble its priests speak,it has that defiance of self pride which is not a true character of Christian witness.Of course I know there are Catholics who like many Evangelicals are servants and warriors for Christ,and that is always the thing that unites us,but the RCC like you have often posted CLAIMS it is the only church of the Lord Jesus Christ,and that remains to be a stumbling block and an offense to the Whole body of Christ.But the real truth is Clay,we do not give one iota of real concern about it,because we"Know in whom we believe,and are persuaded that He is able to keep us against that day."
Regina

Bloomfield, NJ

#473622 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>Sure. My Church is imperfect. It is full of sinners. It humbly tries to follow Christ's teachings.It is not fit to tie the sandals of Chist. It cannot contain neither Christ or the Holy Spirit
and cannot presume to be the sole door to them.It does its best, has nothing to be proud of, and depends on the grace and salvation of Christ for which it is unworthy.
1. Orthodoxy is the Church founded by Christ for the salvation of mankind, and therefore we should guard with our life the purity of its teaching and our own faithfulness to it. In the Orthodox Church alone is grace given through the sacraments (most other churches don’t even claim to have sacraments in any serious sense). The Orthodox Church alone is the Body of Christ, and if salvation is difficult enough within the Orthodox Church, how much more difficult must it be outside the Church!
http://thehandmaid.wordpress.com/holy-orthodo...
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473623 Aug 28, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
I'm smart - yes. In the least, I rcvd directly what "God" wants to do - and not thorugh some unknown author.
Why?
<quoted text>
I do look within to address and hopefully help resolve the crosses I bear. How else do you think I can correct my faults?
You aren't jealous that I am, are you?
<quoted text>
So-called "Christians" have their "eyes wide open" because they can't comprehend all that have been told for them to believe, so they stay in a stunned pose. Sort of like a "deer in headlight" look.
If the Christian saints look stunned it's for a good reason.

If the Buddhist saints look stoned it's for a good reason.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473624 Aug 28, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony, she thinks it's me. Remember back when one of the non-Catholics was posting sets of ten or twenty of the stupid things on all our posts? I looked around topix and found some boards where people talked about that kind of nonsense and a few explained that there were some ways to post multiples icons. I even posted about it to the board a few times. I happened to tell her about it and now she thinks that every time the icons change, it's me, lol!!
I have no idea why she thinks there's some kind of special handshake or code word required. All one has to do is judge the post and either one, two, or all three icons will change. If more than one person judges, they will definitely change. People do lurk on these boards all the time. What a surprise!!!!
I know this is more than you ever wanted to know about judging topix posts, LOL! Frankly, I think they're stupid and seldom use them anymore unless something is funny. I'm not sure why they bother her so much or why she thinks every time one is posted that it's me. Every time she shows up all the Catholic posts are judged negatively, so we could easily say the same thing about her. But then again, according to those two, every Catholic who posts here is me in disguise.:)
I don't know why anyone even cares about those stupid things. Just another weapon for criticism I guess.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473625 Aug 28, 2013
As I stated to Anthony - no it doesn't.
The Jews only accept Jesus as a prophet, lower than "God", and not as the "Messiah".
No fulfillment.
IMO - "replaced" is a better description, because then it makes the NT exclusive.
If there were any truth to what you say, Jews would be using the Bible jsut as much as you try.
<quoted text>
I didn't say that at all.
Why do you want to change my statement around?
Your question has nothing to do with what I said. But you Catholics, love to do shite like that - twist it around to whatever way you think you can "call me out with". It won't work.
What I did say, Jews don't believe Jesus was the "Messiah", and they also believe he is lower than "God".
Both of which negates Christianity's claim of:
a. Jesus is "God"
b. Jesus was the "Messiah".
<quoted text>
1. Jews don't use the "Christian" bible nor do they use the New Testament as part of their literature.
So whatever you are trying to convey, you are already incorrect in your thinking.
These links give a very good overview of Jewish beliefs.
http://www.jewfaq.org/beliefs.htm
http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/w...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
from the last link:
Jews still hold to the tenets of their beliefs and practices. In Torah, actions are far more important than beliefs, although there is certainly a place for belief.
1. God exists
2. God is one and unique
3. God is incorporeal
4. God is eternal
5. Prayer is to be directed to God alone and to no other
6. The words of the prophets are true
7. Moses' prophecy is better than any other prophet's
8. Written Torah/Oral Torah were given to Moses
9. There will be no other Torah
10. God knows the thoughts and deeds of men
11. God will reward the good and punish the wicked
12. The Messiah will come
13. The dead will be resurrected
Torah focuses on relationships:
* Between God and mankind (both as individuals and as groups)
* Between human beings (whether Jews, or Gentiles, or both)
* Between God and the Jewish nation
* Between the Jewish nation and the Land of Israel
The concept that God is one:
* No other being participated in the work of creation.
* God is a single, whole, complete indivisible entity.
- He cannot be divided into parts or described by attributes.
* Any attempt to ascribe attributes to God is merely man's imperfect attempt to understand the infinite.
* God is the only being to whom we should offer praise.
* God is neither male or female: God has no physical form.
Christianity maintains that God has one son; Judaism maintains that God has billions of sons and daughters. We are all God's children.
There are many, many prohibitions in the Torah. One of the more well known one is to not eat animals that don't have cloven hooves AND chew their cud (pork for example).
It is also prohibited to work on Shabbat (Sabbath), etc..
I will post some links for you that should help.
Source(s):
http://www.aish.com
http://www.chabad.org
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/jewfaq/index …
http://www.beingjewish.com
http://www.ou.org/torah/belief.html
So you are saying that the fact of Jesus' Divinity rested on whether or not the Jews accepted Him as Messiah.

You wrote:
"Jews don't believe Jesus was the "Messiah", and they also believe he is lower than "God".
Both of which negates Christianity's claim of:
a. Jesus is "God"
b. Jesus was the "Messiah".
"

You are saying that since they didn't believe He was the Messiah, then He couldn't have been the Messiah.

I'm not twisting anything, I am simply trying to understand what you are saying.

Oh, and thanks for the links, I will investigate them.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#473626 Aug 28, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
You yourself told me that you knew how to changed them and also number them yourself.And do it..I kept your name out of it and now you want to insult me personally? How dare you and your Holier than thou self...you of all people need to mind your own business and take care of your own self.I don't not judge every catholic post negative little miss know it all.In fact I have given positive ones were I felt it needed. I unlike you, I do judge them post from time to time.I admit it but not all negative towards Catholics.Just so happens regina since you started posting again those icons started to change again...you changing those icons DOES NOT bother me....it bother you enough to change them..lol...I think its pitiful that you have the need to do it...try to control yourself and start setting a good example for the Catholic Church

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#473627 Aug 28, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Orthodoxy is the Church founded by Christ for the salvation of mankind, and therefore we should guard with our life the purity of its teaching and our own faithfulness to it. In the Orthodox Church alone is grace given through the sacraments (most other churches don’t even claim to have sacraments in any serious sense). The Orthodox Church alone is the Body of Christ, and if salvation is difficult enough within the Orthodox Church, how much more difficult must it be outside the Church!
http://thehandmaid.wordpress.com/holy-orthodo...
well said and beautiful...thank you

Albuquerque, NM

#473628 Aug 28, 2013
samyaza ancient one wrote:
The Roman Catholic church is not the true Christian Church. back in the day they mixed paganism with Christianity. that is why they bow down to statues. don't get me wrong; I was born into the Catholic faith of Christianity, but during my teens back in the early 80's I started asking Questions to the priest which he couldn't answer or he will get angry. then I left the Catholic faith, and tried the Protestant faith of Christianity, but I couldn't find the answers I was searching for, so now I pray to my "LORD" and "HEAVENLY FATHER"(GOD) alone,and read the bible.
What were the questions you had that you couldn't find "in the Bible"?

Since you appear to have "found your path" can you answer this question for me?

"Where does 'God' specifically state which texts in or or of the Bible are inspired?"

Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Future of Politics in America 2 min Insults Are Easier 120
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Jedi Mind Master 87,819
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 6 min Peter Ross 408
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 min WildWeirdWillie 184,648
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min Jedi Mind Master 977,162
I. .My Somali husband and the impending second ... (Feb '14) 34 min Sir didi 9
Need Gay under 16 Facetime numbers ;) (Feb '14) 53 min Dan sky 12
More from around the web