Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#473287 Aug 27, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
---and NOTHING you can say is going to change that AUTHENTICATED TRUTH!!!
Oh yes there is and I will continue to post them.

I guess this will be a problem for you. Bummer.

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473288 Aug 27, 2013
Now I will explain that I don't believe there was a Buddha that ever existed. As was Jesus ... the Buddha (the enlightened one) was a made up character created by ancient theologians.

The dalia lama still USES the Buddha as his playmate to create the image in the minds of followers that the dalai lama is an enlightened replica of the "invisible" Buddha.

Religion is BUNK!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473289 Aug 27, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>wrong...the Orthodox believe in Consubstantiation. the bread remains bread but exist along side the real presents of Christ..
Citation please.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473290 Aug 27, 2013
If you study their words you will see that every preacher in every ancient religion claimed to be preaching the truth from on HIGH!

I suggest they were reveling in highs of manure ... plain and simple.

Watch the leaders of these religions such as the popes, the Protestant evangelists and the Muslim Imams ... the dalai lama ... et cetera. Most of them sit are revered by their followers and they sit on wealth beyond their wildest dreams.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473291 Aug 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are too ignorant to learn that a Jew faithful to Judaism would no more promote Catholicism, than a pope faithful to Catholicism would promote Protestantism ... then there is nothing can be done to help you.
You just can't get past yourself, can you? Not everyone sees things the way you do.
You are always on here smirking at people for not seeing things the way others do, yet you yourself refuse to see things the way others do. That is pretty lame.
What do you hope to accomplish?

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473292 Aug 27, 2013
If the followers didn't believe the one and only god would punish them for not giving to the church and the mosque, how could the leaders of Christianity and Islam drain the money out of their followers who were often so poor as to commit suicide rather than observe the suffering of their own starving families?

Imagine soldiers on both sides during war eating the flesh of other humans ... so that the popes and imams could live lives of luxury.

You will see when you choose to see.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473293 Aug 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Concepts of truth are ONLY opinions.
Your opinions are of no value to those who disagree.
So what's it like, June, to live in a world devoid of truth and crammed to the gills with lousy opinions?
By the looks of it, it's an ugly, cramped, putrid experience. Look at the kind of person it's made.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#473294 Aug 27, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes there is and I will continue to post them.
I guess this will be a problem for you. Bummer.
No problem for me ---because you're just "wasting your breath"!
NO ONE--NOT ONE of us Catholic on this forum, believes what you say or preach anyway! I have "heard all" of this bible only rhetorical mis-interpretations of the bible for over 35 years. The TRUTH has, is and will always remain and be grounded in Jesus Christ and His One (and only one) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church------not in 42,000+ Reformation "personal opinions" of which you are a part of New Age. It is called "relative truth" (what each person decides is true) bible only (mis)interpretations....It it works for you "great"!
IT IS ALL YOURS!!!! I/we as Catholic will remain with Jesus Christ and His One TRUE Catholic Church--the Bride of Christ!!!!End of discussion!!!!
Clay

United States

#473295 Aug 27, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>wrong...the Orthodox believe in Consubstantiation. the bread remains bread but exist along side the real presents of Christ..
I suggest you read excerpts of the Orthodox Council of Jerusalem, in 1672 AD.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473296 Aug 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't buy into any theology, but the theological story that would make total sense to me is that Jesus would come to earth to "correct" the Jews that wanted to stray from the real truth of Judaism.
Jesus would not have abandoned his Jews to stray into a foreign religion such as Catholicism to in turn become a traitor TO Judaism, working in Catholic confessionals.
How ludicrous!!!
You believe you worship that Jew ... but actually you INSULT all Jews by believing such blather.
This is what you don't get:
Christianity is the fulfillment of Judaism.
God the Father was preparing His people for Jesus, God the Son. Once Jesus came into the world, He became the ultimate sacrifice which really did take away the sins of the world. Jesus is the Lamb of God who has fulfilled the requirements of the OT law.
God has been revealing Himself gradually. It hasn't been a sudden 180 and let's do something entirely foreign now.
I guess most of the Jews didn't get it either.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473297 Aug 27, 2013
Plain Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I will try to understand. If I understand correctly, salvation is possible for other Christians (along with all others). Thanks.
However, only the "truth" is revealed to you - through your church, but to no one else.
You through your church are the only ones with "communication" from God, of the Gospel to mankind.
Have I recited it correctly? I want to be sure I understand.
Forgive me, but you have to admit that such "truth" and "communication from God" might sound a tiny bit absurd to non-Catholics, especially in light of recent historical events.
Exclusive truth and communication with the Almighty? That sounds crazy to me.
I don't believe anyone or any thing has such exclusivity. At least that's what history tells me.
In the Old Testament times, God had chosen a group of people to reveal Himself to primarily. And through them, others could come to know God. As well as in the New Testament times, God has chosen a group of people to reveal Himself to primarily, and that is His Church. And through the Church, others might come to the knowledge of His revelation to mankind.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473298 Aug 27, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You just can't get past yourself, can you?
I can see through you and your the stench of your religion ... and that is what bugs you.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473299 Aug 27, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's it like, June, to live in a world devoid of truth and crammed to the gills with lousy opinions?
I suggest you ask that of your self.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473300 Aug 27, 2013
Preachers in all religions are exceptionally fond of their own words.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473301 Aug 27, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I/we as Catholic will remain with Jesus Christ and His One TRUE Catholic Church--the Bride of Christ!!!!End of discussion!!!!
Again you in-sin-you-ate that Jesus would have left Judaism and his faithful Jews who did follow the correct version of Judaism to support Catholicism.

You INSULT the very one you pretend to worship.

Shame on YOU!!!

If Jesus had lived, he would have been disgusted with your lies ... and I suggest THAT would be the truth.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473302 Aug 27, 2013
Faithful Jews are not and never have been drawn to churches. They go to synagogues.

I suggest that lying is not helping your consciences Christians.

NOT ONE BIT!!!

Fraser Lake, Canada

#473303 Aug 27, 2013
If you suggest to a Catholic that the pope would leave his throne to start a Protestant religion ... Catholics would laugh you off their religious MAP.

Yet, with a straight face, Catholics will insist that a Jew (faithful to Judaism) left his position "WILL-FULLY" to work in Catholic confessionals.

If you don't choose to see the lies, you will take them to your graves with you.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473304 Aug 27, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>"Those who worship God,must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth." How sad that you think that worshiping God must have physical images and shrines,and the like.When actually Clay,all of that was forbidden to the early Hebrews,and the Jews never strayed from such.But if it was not good for them,how is it that the Son of the Living God who has not changed,gave to us those things you take for granted,as you go to Mass? Did Jesus give to us statues?Did He expect us to worship a host encased in the Monstrance? You say yes,but the Jews of old,and especially the Father forbade such.
You can do what you want,but the truth is your church has mixed paganism with Christianity,and you expect us to forsake what we have learned in Scripture to follow your church, with all its mixture,OH but you are the original church? I don't think so,the first church were the Apostles,we have the Scriptures,and sorry the Scriptures do not tell us to adorn our churches or houses of worship with gaudy shrines,nor do the Scriptures tell us to put things on our bodies that venerate saints.The Scriptures lead us to GRACE,which is not personal atonement for our sins.
What? Have you never read the Old Testament? Remember how God told Noah to build an ark by which His chosen might be saved? Remember how God spoke through a burning bush to Moses? Remember how Moses, at God's instruction, took his rod and cast it down before pharaoh and it turned into a snake? Remember the serpent on the pole that God told Moses to make so that the people who looked upon it might be healed?(Num 21:8) Have you never read the book of Exodus where God instructs Moses how God wanted the Tabernacle to be made? Did you just gloss over the elaborate detail involved? And how about the altar? The holy vessels to be used on the altar? The Ark of the Covenant? Remember how God told Moses to put the images of the seraphim on top of it? What about the temple Solomon built for God? Have you read how it was made? The details? The carvings, the olive trees, palm trees, pomegranates, oxen, lions? The cherub statues? The ephod and the theraphim and priestly garments?
Didn't God say to use water for baptism? Didn't Jesus use spit and mud as a paste to cure blindness? Indeed didn't Jesus become Incarnate Himself?
You really think God doesn't use matter to convey His graces and His messages?

All these things are not for God's benefit, but for ours.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473305 Aug 27, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what you don't get:
Christianity is the fulfillment of Judaism.
God the Father was preparing His people for Jesus, God the Son. Once Jesus came into the world, He became the ultimate sacrifice which really did take away the sins of the world. Jesus is the Lamb of God who has fulfilled the requirements of the OT law.
God has been revealing Himself gradually. It hasn't been a sudden 180 and let's do something entirely foreign now.
I guess most of the Jews didn't get it either.
Marcus Grodi on The Journey Home had a guest last night who was a nominal Catholic as a child and grew up in a predominately Jewish town. She spent much of her teen years and early adulthood going to synagogue with Jewish family and friends. She reverted to the Church when it all came together in her mind how Catholicism is so completly Jewish in it's foundation and that it is simply the fulfillment of Judaism. Just thought I'd throw that out there...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473306 Aug 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you read excerpts of the Orthodox Council of Jerusalem, in 1672 AD.
The Orthodox Confession of 1640 reads --

"Christ is now in heaven only and not on earth after that manner of the flesh wherein He bore it and lived in it when He was on earth; but after the sacramental manner, whereby He is present in the Holy Eucharist, the same Son of God, God and Man, is also on earth by way of TRANSUBSTANTIATION [kata metousiosis]. For the SUBSTANCE of the bread is changed into the SUBSTANCE of His holy body, and the SUBSTANCE of the wine into the SUBSTANCE of His precious blood.

"Where it is fitting to WORSHIP and ADORE the Holy Eucharist even as our Savior Jesus Himself.

"The priest must know that at the moment when he consecrates the gifts the SUBSTANCE itself of the bread and the SUBSTANCE of the wine are changed into the SUBSTANCE of the real body and blood of Christ through the operation of the Holy Ghost, whom the priest invokes at that time, consecrating this mystery by praying and saying,

'Send down Thy Holy Ghost on us and on these gifts set before Thee, and make this bread the precious body of Thy Christ and that which is in this cup the precious blood of Thy Christ, changing them by Thy Holy Ghost.'

"For immediately after these words the TRANSUBSTANTIATION [metousiosis] takes place, and that bread is changed into the real body of Christ, and the wine into His real blood. ONLY THE SPECIES WHICH ARE SEEN REMAIN, and this by the ordinance of God, first, that we may not see the body of Christ, but may believe that it is there....

"The honor which it is fitting to give to these awful mysteries is of such a kind as that which is given to Christ Himself....This mystery is also OFFERED AS A SACRIFICE on behalf of all orthodox Christians, both the living AND THOSE WHO SLEEP in hope of a resurrection to eternal life; and the SACRIFICE shall never fail until the last Judgment.

"The fruits of this mystery are these: first, the commemoration of the sinless passion and death of Christ....secondly....this mystery is a PROPITIATION AND ATONEMENT WITH GOD FOR OUR SINS BOTH OF THE LIVING AND OF THE DEAD....thirdly....that each Christian who shall frequent this SACRIFICE and partake of this mystery may be delivered by means of it from the temptation and danger of the devil." (Stone, page 177f)

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/num31.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Catcher1 830,310
Why God made males UGLY but females PRETTY ? 6 min hpcaban 8
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 min Jac 99,257
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 12 min Humm 3,936
How to get Free Steam games, Steam Wallet codes... (Dec '13) 29 min Anon 94
Josh Glidewell Lifetime Exteriorz roof. One sat... 37 min Bob Hasenplaugh 7
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 49 min Student 40,218
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Chess Jurist 442,972
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr dr Shrink 611,943
More from around the web