Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 699445 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#473314 Aug 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Marcus Grodi on The Journey Home had a guest last night who was a nominal Catholic as a child and grew up in a predominately Jewish town. She spent much of her teen years and early adulthood going to synagogue with Jewish family and friends. She reverted to the Church when it all came together in her mind how Catholicism is so completly Jewish in it's foundation and that it is simply the fulfillment of Judaism. Just thought I'd throw that out there...
How is it a fulfillment, when Jews only think of Jesus as a prophet and not any Messiah?
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473315 Aug 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see through you and your the stench of your religion ... and that is what bugs you.

Now you are inventing odors and getting offended by your own imaginary sniffing?
Ok.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#473316 Aug 27, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
For your information, Confrinting, the Catholic Church, has,is and will ALWAYS be "grounded, solidified, nourished and sustained in JESUS CHRIST as Lord and Savior,(FIRST and foremost)--- with the Eucharist (CHRISTS TRUE BODY and BLOOD),--and----in the TRUTH of Jesus' own spoken WORDS in the TRUTH of the Gospel which is proclaimed (each and every day) at Daily Mass,---and----IN THE TRUE WORD which is ministered IN and THROUGH Our Lords One (and only one) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church.(EVERY SINCLE DAY) However-- you "wouldn't know ANYTHING about ANYTHING that is being proclaimed, taught and preached in the Catholic Church because you are (to busy) spreading your (so-called) Christian preaching that is "laced with NOTHING but (your own vindictive condemnation and judgement of other Christians (especially Catholics. You ministry consists of NOTHING but listing a bunch of bible verse that are (filled with distorted and deceitful "opinionated anti-catholic hate-filled lies" around this forum, that have "corrupted" your heart, mind and soul!! You don't for God------"never have" and "never will" until you come to TRUE SALVATION in Jesus Christ!!!
There is noting more pleasing to a born again Christian than to hear the testimony of a other born again Christian...How bout it....want to share yours????
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473317 Aug 27, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it a fulfillment, when Jews only think of Jesus as a prophet and not any Messiah?
All of the first Christians were Jewish. They were the ones who said so.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473318 Aug 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Marcus Grodi on The Journey Home had a guest last night who was a nominal Catholic as a child and grew up in a predominately Jewish town. She spent much of her teen years and early adulthood going to synagogue with Jewish family and friends. She reverted to the Church when it all came together in her mind how Catholicism is so completly Jewish in it's foundation and that it is simply the fulfillment of Judaism. Just thought I'd throw that out there...
Yes, it's not like God realized "well, hell, this isn't working...let me try something completely different." What is interesting is that while there is the OT which mentions many Jewish celebrations, there is not a lot of detail about those celebrations. It's almost like such details went without saying since,*gasp*, people had been celebrating their festivals for years before the books of the OT were written/compiled. Sort of like how the early Christians celebrated Mass for years before the books of the NT were written!
So anyway, learning more about Judaism would certainly enhance understanding and appreciation of Christianity.( That is on my to-do list.)
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#473319 Aug 27, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Have you never read the Old Testament? Remember how God told Noah to build an ark by which His chosen might be saved? Remember how God spoke through a burning bush to Moses? Remember how Moses, at God's instruction, took his rod and cast it down before pharaoh and it turned into a snake? Remember the serpent on the pole that God told Moses to make so that the people who looked upon it might be healed?(Num 21:8) Have you never read the book of Exodus where God instructs Moses how God wanted the Tabernacle to be made? Did you just gloss over the elaborate detail involved? And how about the altar? The holy vessels to be used on the altar? The Ark of the Covenant? Remember how God told Moses to put the images of the seraphim on top of it? What about the temple Solomon built for God? Have you read how it was made? The details? The carvings, the olive trees, palm trees, pomegranates, oxen, lions? The cherub statues? The ephod and the theraphim and priestly garments?
Didn't God say to use water for baptism? Didn't Jesus use spit and mud as a paste to cure blindness? Indeed didn't Jesus become Incarnate Himself?
You really think God doesn't use matter to convey His graces and His messages?
All these things are not for God's benefit, but for ours.
You forgot the part in the old testament of how Jehovah instructed the Jews that they were his chosen few.

:)
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473320 Aug 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Wow. You will promote supposed "talkign with God" in the OT, but nothing from the NT, except a vision here or there.
Do you even understand the NT?
Why would you promote primarily Jewish/Islam texts, when the NT supposedly replaced the "old Covenant"?
The point was that God DOES use physical matter to convey His graces and His revelation to mankind.
I mentioned several "for instances" from the OT and a couple from the NT. Do you want me to type out more examples from the NT? There are several, if they aren't obvious, I'd be happy to point them out.

Location hidden

#473321 Aug 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Orthodox Confession of 1640 reads --
"Christ is now in heaven only and not on earth after that manner of the flesh wherein He bore it and lived in it when He was on earth; but after the sacramental manner, whereby He is present in the Holy Eucharist, the same Son of God, God and Man, is also on earth by way of TRANSUBSTANTIATION [kata metousiosis]. For the SUBSTANCE of the bread is changed into the SUBSTANCE of His holy body, and the SUBSTANCE of the wine into the SUBSTANCE of His precious blood.
"Where it is fitting to WORSHIP and ADORE the Holy Eucharist even as our Savior Jesus Himself.
"The priest must know that at the moment when he consecrates the gifts the SUBSTANCE itself of the bread and the SUBSTANCE of the wine are changed into the SUBSTANCE of the real body and blood of Christ through the operation of the Holy Ghost, whom the priest invokes at that time, consecrating this mystery by praying and saying,
'Send down Thy Holy Ghost on us and on these gifts set before Thee, and make this bread the precious body of Thy Christ and that which is in this cup the precious blood of Thy Christ, changing them by Thy Holy Ghost.'
"For immediately after these words the TRANSUBSTANTIATION [metousiosis] takes place, and that bread is changed into the real body of Christ, and the wine into His real blood. ONLY THE SPECIES WHICH ARE SEEN REMAIN, and this by the ordinance of God, first, that we may not see the body of Christ, but may believe that it is there....
"The honor which it is fitting to give to these awful mysteries is of such a kind as that which is given to Christ Himself....This mystery is also OFFERED AS A SACRIFICE on behalf of all orthodox Christians, both the living AND THOSE WHO SLEEP in hope of a resurrection to eternal life; and the SACRIFICE shall never fail until the last Judgment.
"The fruits of this mystery are these: first, the commemoration of the sinless passion and death of Christ....secondly....this mystery is a PROPITIATION AND ATONEMENT WITH GOD FOR OUR SINS BOTH OF THE LIVING AND OF THE DEAD....thirdly....that each Christian who shall frequent this SACRIFICE and partake of this mystery may be delivered by means of it from the temptation and danger of the devil." (Stone, page 177f)
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/num31.htm
Just because they believe this malarkey does not make it true...there is no Scripture that supports this tripe...
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#473322 Aug 27, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's not like God realized "well, hell, this isn't working...let me try something completely different." What is interesting is that while there is the OT which mentions many Jewish celebrations, there is not a lot of detail about those celebrations. It's almost like such details went without saying since,*gasp*, people had been celebrating their festivals for years before the books of the OT were written/compiled. Sort of like how the early Christians celebrated Mass for years before the books of the NT were written!
So anyway, learning more about Judaism would certainly enhance understanding and appreciation of Christianity.( That is on my to-do list.)
According to the Jews that were certain THEY were "god's chosen few, the old testament should have been the final WORD on truth ... but the ex-Jew Catholics had another "IDEA!"

Then the Muslims had yet more ideas and the Protestants continued off on their own paths of corrupting words for their own self-ingratiating USES.

Religion is one HUGE mess of corruption.

Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473323 Aug 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Another thought on this post is, you sure have a lot of unanswered questions for others. What are youur answers to these same questions?
If you claim, that these are for our benefit [Self], why even be a partcipant in religion if your spirituality is restricted?
You don't limit "God", do you, like Christianity has done?
My answer is that, obviously, I have read the OT and know about all those examples which I typed up showing how God uses matter to communicate with His people.
Your last 2 questions make no sense to me.
"Why be a participant in religion if your spirituality is restricted?"
That makes as much sense to me as:
"Why rent a unicorn when water runs uphill?"

Location hidden

#473324 Aug 27, 2013
Its wine stupid!!!!!!!!

Drinking and Praying: Proposal Could Tip Irish Priests Over Legal Limit

Both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland want to lower the legal blood alcohol level for drivers. Priests are afraid it might affect their ability to motor around after Mass.

Bad Blood: Priests in Ireland are concerned that lowering the legal drinking level for drivers might leave them stranded after Mass.

The job description for a Catholic priest doesn't include a lot of perks -- perhaps one reason that their numbers are shrinking rapidly across the Western world. In Ireland, though, the gig might be further complicated by a new proposal to lower the legal blood alcohol limit for drivers. Priests there are speaking out against the proposal because it could render them legally drunk after performing Mass.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473325 Aug 27, 2013
Nice article here:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead...

"Many Protestants will argue, for instance, that God’s primary revelation is the Sacred Scriptures, while Catholics maintain that God’s primary revelation is Jesus Christ."

Location hidden

#473326 Aug 27, 2013
Its wine stupid!!!!

Transubstantiation - The change of the substance of bread and wine into that of the Body and Blood of Christ...

Logic says, if indeed that is what happens when the priest does his munbo-jumbo at the altar with the wine, the volume of alcohol in the wine is meaningless, because there is no more wine...there is only blood!!!!!

And...the priests in Ireland would not be concerned about the lowering of the legal drinking level for drivers which might leave them stranded after Mass. Now would they?????

Albuquerque, NM

#473327 Aug 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
All of the first Christians were Jewish. They were the ones who said so.
Of course they were, they had to start somewhere.

It doesn't constitute "fulfillment status".
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473328 Aug 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot the part in the old testament of how Jehovah instructed the Jews that they were his chosen few.
I mentioned that in a different post.

Albuquerque, NM

#473329 Aug 27, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
The point was that God DOES use physical matter to convey His graces and His revelation to mankind.
I mentioned several "for instances" from the OT and a couple from the NT. Do you want me to type out more examples from the NT? There are several, if they aren't obvious, I'd be happy to point them out.
No need - I'm still trying to grasp how you and all of Christianity can accept limiting "God's inspiration".

When you can answer that, then you will have something to discuss.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#473330 Aug 27, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Its wine stupid!!!!!!!!
Drinking and Praying: Proposal Could Tip Irish Priests Over Legal Limit
Both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland want to lower the legal blood alcohol level for drivers. Priests are afraid it might affect their ability to motor around after Mass.
Bad Blood: Priests in Ireland are concerned that lowering the legal drinking level for drivers might leave them stranded after Mass.
The job description for a Catholic priest doesn't include a lot of perks -- perhaps one reason that their numbers are shrinking rapidly across the Western world. In Ireland, though, the gig might be further complicated by a new proposal to lower the legal blood alcohol limit for drivers. Priests there are speaking out against the proposal because it could render them legally drunk after performing Mass.
You've never been to a Mass then obviously.

Albuquerque, NM

#473331 Aug 27, 2013
Wow. You will promote supposed "talkign with God" in the OT, but nothing from the NT, except a vision here or there.

Do you even understand the NT?

Why would you promote primarily Jewish/Islam texts, when the NT supposedly replaced the "old Covenant"?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
...and your answer to this question?

"Why would you promote primarily Jewish/Islam texts, when the NT supposedly replaced the "old Covenant"?"

Albuquerque, NM

#473332 Aug 27, 2013
Another thought on this post is, you sure have a lot of unanswered questions for others. What are youur answers to these same questions?
If you claim, that these are for our benefit [Self], why even be a partcipant in religion if your spirituality is restricted?
You don't limit "God", do you, like Christianity has done?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
My answer is that, obviously, I have read the OT and know about all those examples which I typed up showing how God uses matter to communicate with His people.
Your last 2 questions make no sense to me.
"Why be a participant in religion if your spirituality is restricted?"
That makes as much sense to me as:
"Why rent a unicorn when water runs uphill?"
If you would like calrification of the question, then don't be shy or frustrated without responding, ask for clarity.

That is why it makes no sense to you, because you seem to refuse to follow-up on what it does mean.

Albuquerque, NM

#473333 Aug 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
Nice article here:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead...
"Many Protestants will argue, for instance, that God’s primary revelation is the Sacred Scriptures, while Catholics maintain that God’s primary revelation is Jesus Christ."
.....and it still doesn't change the fact Catholics only utilize a portion of his teachings to come to this decision of men.

Why do you believe teachings by men over teachings by Jesus?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Quivering Lip Lib... 71,742
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min waaasssuuup 995,075
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 24 min Dang Jersey Piney 447,424
Rodney King beating and the WTC Jumpers 49 min Doctor REALITY 1
Need good hookup adult dating sites 59 min Adam 3
"O.J. hit me while he (BLEEPED!) me! 1 hr Doctor REALITY 5
I miss her so bad. Should I reach out? 2 hr Doctor REALITY 2
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 3 hr Doctor REALITY 125