Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650731 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Delta, Canada

#473154 Aug 26, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll stick to the TRUTH of over 2000 years of TRUE CHURCH HISTORY
I don't buy into any theology, but the theological story that would make total sense to me is that Jesus would come to earth to "correct" the Jews that wanted to stray from the real truth of Judaism.

Jesus would not have abandoned his Jews to stray into a foreign religion such as Catholicism to in turn become a traitor TO Judaism, working in Catholic confessionals.

How ludicrous!!!

You believe you worship that Jew ... but actually you INSULT all Jews by believing such blather.
Plain Jane

Orlando, FL

#473155 Aug 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
"for Christianity its either the Catholic faith or nothing"
I'm speaking about the revelation of truth; the communication from God, of the Gospel to mankind. I'm not speaking of salvation.
If Jesus Christ is real, and knowing the Gospel is essential for eternal life, then there is no way that He designed the important communication of the Gospel to filter thru Confrint, Preston, Ox, Chuck, old G and 50,000 other like minded individuals. Our Lord would not have relied of these guys and their yellow highlighted marker to decipher His Ministry, 1900 yrs after the Apostles preached it! There is no way.
There can only be one truth; therefore one Church and one fold. Its gotta be the Catholic Church or no one.
OK, I will try to understand. If I understand correctly, salvation is possible for other Christians (along with all others). Thanks.

However, only the "truth" is revealed to you - through your church, but to no one else.

You through your church are the only ones with "communication" from God, of the Gospel to mankind.

Have I recited it correctly? I want to be sure I understand.

Forgive me, but you have to admit that such "truth" and "communication from God" might sound a tiny bit absurd to non-Catholics, especially in light of recent historical events.

Exclusive truth and communication with the Almighty? That sounds crazy to me.

I don't believe anyone or any thing has such exclusivity. At least that's what history tells me.

Delta, Canada

#473156 Aug 26, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>SEE June you have a bible of sorts,you believe every word of those authors who wrote that book right?Come on you do,or you would not quote it so much.By the way,religion is the biggest creator of laws and regulations,Do's and Do nots and so on.So I am not surprised that the Jewish Laws gave women those commands.God allowed for such,and He through His Son abolished such rigorous laws.You Do not realize June that even if God shared with the Jews to do certain things,they often went to the extreme,and God later rebuked them for doing so.But you do not know that,why?Because you never balance what you say with what happened in recorded Scripture.
God's biggest BEEF with His people is how they changed what He said to them to suit their own agendas.That could go both ways,either to an extreme,or barely enough to make a difference.
Of course I studied the bible. That's how I recognized the lies.

You could do it too ... if only you would pay heed and tribute to your conscience for instance that a god of love would not allow a hell to exist anywhere, any time in his kingdom. That is a contradiction of terms ... one among many.

I recognized that was a lie when I was still a child.

I never believed in the existence of hell ... whether it was for Catholics, Protestants ... or those that disobeyed the teachings by the warring theologians in other religions.
UIdiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#473157 Aug 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
She forgot to state that by the men of the hierarchy they were perceived as EVIL brood mares in need of churching.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>
The Woman’s Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred objects … by Barbara G. Walker.
Churching
The custom of churching denied postparturient women admittance into any church for a forty-day period following childbirth, on the theory that giving birth made them spiritually impure. The forty-day period was known as quarantine, meaning “forty.” After this period expired, a woman could be churched with a ritual designed to remove the impurity of her motherhood. Between birth and the churching ceremony, both the woman and her new baby were officially designated non-Christian heathen.(1) Women were encouraged to believe that “grass will hardly ever grow where they tread before they are churched.” It was even said that a woman who died before churching, of childbirth fever or some other birthing trauma, would be refused Christian burial.(2) The same rule applied to an unbaptized infant.
The biblical text that gave rise to this custom actually ordered the forty-day quarantine only for a woman who gave birth to a boy (Leviticus 12). If her baby was a girl, a mother was isolated for a period of eighty days, because the patriarchal priesthood considered girls twice as impure as boys. At the end of this time, the mother had to make a sin offering to the priest, in atonement for her “crime.” In other words, it was sinful to bring forth a child, but only half as sinful to bring forth a male child as to bring forth a female one. Needless to say, such antifemale ideas were greatly enhanced by the church’s doctrine of original sin transmitted to all generations via the flesh of women.
Are Evangelical Christians Warmongers?

Chuck Baldwin
ChuckBaldwinLive.com
September 15, 2011

I’ve been an evangelical Christian since I was a child. I’ve been in the Gospel ministry all of my adult life. I attended two evangelical Christian colleges, received honorary degrees from two others, and taught and preached in several others. I’ve attended many of the largest evangelical pastors’ gatherings and have been privileged to speak at Christian gatherings–large and small–all over America. I have been part of the inner workings of evangelical ministry for nearly 40 years. I think I learned a thing or two about evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity in America. And I’m here to tell you: I don’t like what I see happening these days!

Let’s get this straight right out of the gate: nothing touched by man can be perfect, because none of us is perfect. There is no perfect church, perfect school, perfect mission board, perfect Sunday School class, perfect pastor, perfect deacon, or perfect Christian. Until the afterlife, we are all yet encased in Adamic flesh, complete with human weaknesses and imperfections. And only the Pharisaical among us are too proud to admit it.

That said, I do think it is more than fair to say that, historically, Christians have always attempted to be–and have always publicly taught the importance of being–peacemakers. Historically, Christians have preached–and tried to practice–love and brotherhood. The early church was born in a baptism of love and unity. Oh sure, there were always individual misunderstandings and differences, but, on the whole, the church was a loving, caring, compassionate ecclesia.

United States

#473158 Aug 26, 2013
Cont.

Mind you, Christians historically were not afraid or ashamed to defend themselves, their families, and their country. The Lord Jesus, Himself (the Prince of Peace), allowed His disciples to carry personal defense weapons (see Luke 22:36,38). Yes, while some Christian sects were conscientious pacifists, these were the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of Christian believers understood the Biblical, Natural Law principle of self-defense. But believing in the right of lawful, God-ordained self-defense was never to be confused with warmongering.

So, what has happened to turn the most peace-loving institution the world has ever known (the New Testament church) into the biggest cheerleaders for war? I’m talking about un-provoked, illegal, unconstitutional, unbiblical–even secret–wars of aggression. The biggest cheerleaders for the unprovoked, unconstitutional, pre-emptive attack and invasion of Iraq were evangelical Christians. Ditto for the war in Afghanistan, the bombing of Libya, the attacks in Yemen, etc. Who is calling for the bombing of Iran? Evangelical Christians. Who cheers for sending more and more troops all over the world to maim and kill more and more people (including innocents)? Evangelical Christians. Shoot (pun intended)! Most evangelical Christians didn’t even bat an eye when the federal government sent military and police personnel to murder American citizens, including old men, women, and children–Christian old men, women, and children, no less–outside Waco, Texas.

And where are today’s evangelical Christians giving a second thought regarding their fellow Christian brothers and sisters in many of these Middle Eastern countries that are being persecuted, imprisoned, tortured, and killed by the puppet regimes being put in power by the US government–at US taxpayer (including Christian taxpayer) expense? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but more Christians have been persecuted under the US-imposed regime in Iraq than were ever persecuted when Saddam Hussein was in power. Oh! And don’t forget that it was the US government that was responsible for putting Saddam Hussein in power to begin with. The US government set up Osama bin Laden, too. But I digress.

In addition to the “white” wars (the ones everyone knows about), the US government authorizes some 70 black ops commando raids in some 120 countries EVERY DAY. In fact, the secret, black ops military of the US is so large today it now totals more personnel than the ENTIRE MILITARY OF CANADA!

A recent report noted,“In 120 countries across the globe, troops from Special Operations Command carry out their secret war of high-profile assassinations, low-level targeted killings, capture/kidnap operations, kick-down-the-door night raids, joint operations with foreign forces, and training missions with indigenous partners as part of a shadowy conflict unknown to most Americans. Once ‘special’ for being small, lean, outsider outfits, today they are special for their power, access, influence, and aura.”

To see the complete report of America’s secret wars, go to:

http://tinyurl.com/3q7s335
Pad

Rockford, IL

#473159 Aug 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I swear every one of you self proclaimed pastors just itch to get into a Bible verse warfare match.
Sorry sir, I know better. I say this verse. You reject it. I say that verse. You reject it. I show you a written letter from a man that learned the Gospel from Peter and John, and you call him a 'Kook'.
You know that nothin will show you that you're wrong. Your mind is made up. I won't take your bait.
But for the sake of ending the discussion once and for all, why don't you simply show from one of your verses, where Christ instructed that a Bible be compiled for the SOLE source of revelation on His Ministry.
Really, sola scriptura is the first lie that Protestantism let into their faith. From there, everything derailed.
"Those who worship God,must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth." How sad that you think that worshiping God must have physical images and shrines,and the like.When actually Clay,all of that was forbidden to the early Hebrews,and the Jews never strayed from such.But if it was not good for them,how is it that the Son of the Living God who has not changed,gave to us those things you take for granted,as you go to Mass? Did Jesus give to us statues?Did He expect us to worship a host encased in the Monstrance? You say yes,but the Jews of old,and especially the Father forbade such.

You can do what you want,but the truth is your church has mixed paganism with Christianity,and you expect us to forsake what we have learned in Scripture to follow your church, with all its mixture,OH but you are the original church? I don't think so,the first church were the Apostles,we have the Scriptures,and sorry the Scriptures do not tell us to adorn our churches or houses of worship with gaudy shrines,nor do the Scriptures tell us to put things on our bodies that venerate saints.The Scriptures lead us to GRACE,which is not personal atonement for our sins.

Delta, Canada

#473160 Aug 26, 2013
Imagine how insulted were the Jews when the Catholics wrote stories of all those Jews leaving Judaism to become Catholics. First there was Jesus, then the apostles, then Peter the first "bishop" ... which was a blatant lie as there were countless bishops in varying regions at the start of Catholicism. Then mother Mary turned her back on Judaism to become a Catholic saint. And don't forget those wise men.

Had I been a Jew back in those days and today, I would have been very indignant about such lies being spread as truth.

Delta, Canada

#473161 Aug 26, 2013
UIdiotRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>Are Evangelical Christians Warmongers?
Chuck Baldwin
ChuckBaldwinLive.com
September 15, 2011
I’ve been an evangelical Christian since I was a child. I’ve been in the Gospel ministry all of my adult life. I attended two evangelical Christian colleges, received honorary degrees from two others, and taught and preached in several others. I’ve attended many of the largest evangelical pastors’ gatherings and have been privileged to speak at Christian gatherings–large and small–all over America. I have been part of the inner workings of evangelical ministry for nearly 40 years. I think I learned a thing or two about evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity in America. And I’m here to tell you: I don’t like what I see happening these days!
Let’s get this straight right out of the gate: nothing touched by man can be perfect, because none of us is perfect. There is no perfect church, perfect school, perfect mission board, perfect Sunday School class, perfect pastor, perfect deacon, or perfect Christian. Until the afterlife, we are all yet encased in Adamic flesh, complete with human weaknesses and imperfections. And only the Pharisaical among us are too proud to admit it.
That said, I do think it is more than fair to say that, historically, Christians have always attempted to be–and have always publicly taught the importance of being–peacemakers. Historically, Christians have preached–and tried to practice–love and brotherhood. The early church was born in a baptism of love and unity. Oh sure, there were always individual misunderstandings and differences, but, on the whole, the church was a loving, caring, compassionate ecclesia.
Well you are full of your self as being a qualified preacher ... but I don't believe any of it is based on truth.

Why would you trust your myths and not the myths of other religions???

You know and I know, had you been born into a Muslim family, chances are better than not you would preaching and praising everything Islam.

It's simply indoctrination.

Delta, Canada

#473162 Aug 26, 2013
Cont.
Mind you, Christians historically were not afraid or ashamed to defend themselves, their families, and their country. http://tinyurl.com/3q7s335
From the fourth century to the sixteenth century if people would not convert to Catholicism, they were put to death as heretics.

United States

#473163 Aug 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Imagine how insulted were the Jews when the Catholics wrote stories of all those Jews leaving Judaism to become Catholics. First there was Jesus, then the apostles, then Peter the first "bishop" ... which was a blatant lie as there were countless bishops in varying regions at the start of Catholicism. Then mother Mary turned her back on Judaism to become a Catholic saint. And don't forget those wise men.
Had I been a Jew back in those days and today, I would have been very indignant about such lies being spread as truth.
Adolf Hitler, 1941, told his adjutant General Gerhard Engel

(The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, p311
"
I shall remain a Catholic for ever.
Oxbow

Westlake, LA

#473164 Aug 26, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
"My eyes HAVE been opened",(WIDE) TO THE TRUTH, by the Spirit of God through His Son Jesus "after 35 years of being indoctrinated, duped and deceived by this "distorted" Protestant----bible only teaching of false bible interpreting lies, that is NOTHING but a man-made (invented) HALF-TRUTH, HALF-HERESY Christian doctrine of deceit!! YOU CAN HAVE IT, OX!!! IT IS "ALL" YOURS!!.....
I/we as Catholics will continue (along with the other 1.4 billion Catholics around the world) to worship, follow and adhere to the TRUTH of the TRUE historical and biblically interpretation of the Bible and the TRUE GOSPEL of Jesus Christ in and through HIS ONE (and only One TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church!...YOU,OX, CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT!!!!
Your baseless nonsense changes not the truth: Quoting the Catholic Encyclopedia is not distorting, twisting,I pray that by the Grace of God, your eyes and ears will someday be opened.

At the present time you are blind as a bat and deaf as a stone!!!!

United States

#473165 Aug 26, 2013
Paul Eberle, co-author of "The Abuse of Innocence," a book about the McMartin case.

McMartin ritual abuse case in Manhattan Beach, CA, 1983-84
"
Almost all of the accusing families were practicing Catholics who attended the American Martyrs Church...What the Catholic Church did was to open its doors to all these witch-hunters...The [Martyrs] Church was marching with the accusers, and anybody with an ounce of brains knew these people were innocent. The church was very accommodating with the lynch mob.

Delta, Canada

#473166 Aug 26, 2013
Those in religion pilfered ideas from other believers.
>>>>>>> >>>.

Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Saints

St. Thomas Aquinas

He became a professor at the University of Naples, where he based his teaching of Christian doctrine of the philosophy of Aristotle.

Delta, Canada

#473167 Aug 26, 2013
One can claim to own truth ... but bragging is not a health-building pastime ... mental OR physical.

Sooner or later one must come to grips with ones own conscience, and admit that opinions are simply "concepts" of truth.

Delta, Canada

#473168 Aug 26, 2013
Unless they were traitors to Judaism, Jews did not leave their synagogues.

Unless Catholics were traitors to Catholicism, they did not leave Catholic churches to join Protestant churches.

It just doesn't work that way in religion.

United States

#473169 Aug 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you are full of your self as being a qualified preacher ... but I don't believe any of it is based on truth.
Why would you trust your myths and not the myths of other religions???
You know and I know, had you been born into a Muslim family, chances are better than not you would preaching and praising everything Islam.
It's simply indoctrination.
Tell to those who been indoctrinated by mad man-made religionss . Saying my religion is better yours , and all this will cause wars between religions! Religions and Politics don't mix! Look what warmonger Bushjr said His God told him War is justified and this got us into illegal wars with other nations.

United States

#473170 Aug 26, 2013
Robert Altermeyer

Conservatives Without Conscience
by John Dean
Penguin Books, 2006, p53
k
Right-wing authoritarians shed their guilt very efficiently when they do something wrong. Typically they turn to God for forgiveness, and as a result feel completely forgiven afterwards. Catholics, for example, use confession. Fundamentalist Protestants use a somewhat different mechanism. Many who are 'born-again' believe that if you confess your sins and accept Jesus as your personal savior you will go to heaven-no matter what else you do afterwards.

Delta, Canada

#473171 Aug 26, 2013
<quoted text>Adolf Hitler, 1941, told his adjutant General Gerhard Engel
(The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, p311
"
I shall remain a Catholic for ever.
Yes Hitler was a Catholic. That is how he knew how to play the church against itself.

Stalin also knew the church inside out, as he studied for five years to become a priest.

They both knew how to rule with brutality.

United States

#473172 Aug 26, 2013
Hermann Rauschning, 1939

Brave New World Revisited
by Aldous Huxley
Perennial Classics, 2000, paperback
p40

Hitler has a deep respect for the Catholic church and the Jesuit order; not because of their Christian doctrine, but because of the 'machinery' they have elaborated and controlled, their hierarchical system, their extremely clever tactics, their knowledge of human nature and their wise use of human weaknesses in ruling over believers.

Delta, Canada

#473173 Aug 26, 2013
I wonder what Hitler thought he accomplished when just before he died he married Eva Braun?

He must have had some sort of "reasoning" to his scheme.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Buck Crick 56,364
how long after taking the Vivitrol shot can i f... (Nov '12) 56 min Mila 172
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 45,004
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 618,577
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr ChristineM 445,937
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 2 hr ImFree2Choose 2,359
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 3 hr Johnny 768
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr Rosa_Winkel 106,094
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr X Pendable 182,982
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr Hangman 971,894