Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665403 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Simple

United States

#469488 Aug 8, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>LOL< I have THREE of those Adjectives that you speak of concerning Peter and so do ALL of the other Apostles and Preachers.
and if it is the Lord Will, some of us might meet all 4 of your criteria.
therefore, it doesn't make Peter Special in the eyes of Humans, just Called, WHICH IS SPECIAL
Peter got out of the boat and walked on water!! When he began to sink Jesus reached out his hand and Peter had enough faith to be kept above the water by holding Jesus hand. How many steps has your faith allowed you to walk on water. When Peter denied the Lord he had the faith and love of the Lord to follow and be in the position to deny. Where were the other Apostles? People want to judge Peter on what they consider his two great losses of faith. They are rather the opposite great acts of faith that put him in more precarious positions then others dare tread. Who are we to judge Peter's faults. Can people not see that it was his great faith that put him in a place to make mistakes that others would not make as they lacked the faith to be there in the first place.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#469489 Aug 8, 2013
who="Dan"
all Christians can perform a valid baptism upon another?

When necessary, Yes.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#469490 Aug 8, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Let's recap....
Dan wrote:
Christ His conferred authority to the apostles, not to everyone.
Protestantism specifically denies the belief of apostolic succession, thus Christ's ministerial authority conferred to the Apostles expired when the last Apostle died.
This being the case, protestants cannot "bind an loose".
New Age wrote:
Here we go again, huh?
You forgot to post your citation. You do have one to support your claim, right?
'Please post your citation that states Protestants cannot "bind and loose".'
Thanks!
<quoted text>
This did not answer my post, nor is it any specific direction that Protestants cannot "bind or loose".
Do you even understand the passage in question? If you do, then the answer shouldn't be of a problem, as it seem it is for you to answer.
Please stay focused.
I answered.

The passage tells WHO received the authority. i.e. The Apostles, and only the Apostles.

The further citations I provided support my statement that protestantism eschews succession of that authority.

Protestants don't believe that the authority to bind and loose survived the last apostle. Thus, they cannot "bind and loose".

Thanks
Michael

Canada

#469491 Aug 8, 2013
<quoted text>
There were actually 13 Apostles. The 13th, was "decided" upon by the remaining original 11 Apostles, after Judas died.
"Judas, who was guide to those who took Jesus... For he was numbered with us, and received his portion in this ministry... For it is written in the book of Psalms,'Let his habitation be made desolate, Let no one dwell therein', and,'Let another take his office'... So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day he was taken up from us, must become with us a witness to his resurrection
—Acts 1:15-26
So, between the ascension of Christ and the day of Pentecost, the remaining apostles elected a twelfth apostle by casting lots, a traditional Israelite way to determine the Will of God.(see Proverbs 16:33) The lot fell upon Matthias."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostle_ (Christian)
Thanks for the lesson!

The church would NEVER claim there were 13 apostles. 13 is an unlucky number.

Since: Sep 09

Canada

#469492 Aug 8, 2013
In religion ... between cults, there can BE no sharing on an equal level. Those who claim they are seeking truth LIE ... as the fact IS ... you claim to KNOW truth.

And the battles of the right-fighters continue ... as even a semblance of peace is nowhere to be found.

If a creator exists and that creator is PROUD of your fights over who will receive the creator's love and who will be rejected ... the creator is nuttier than a fruitcake ... as are all of you!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#469493 Aug 8, 2013
Matthew 16 18:19
"18And I tell you that you are Peter,[a] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[b] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[c] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[d] loosed in heaven.”
If anything it does state is that Peter is able to do this, but doesn't have any other person.
This would also imply that only Peter has the correct information, thus any book not by Peter, namely "Paul", "Luke", Matthew, or "John" have nothing that is beneficial.
Are you saying that no other person doesn't have the same abilities as Peter? Then and/or now?
He's addressing the Apostles.

Even if one DOES hold that ONLY Peter may have received this authority, ordination allowed this authority to succeed.

Canada

#469494 Aug 8, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Did the one god change his mind ... or did theologians lie???
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed.(Leviticus 20:9)

If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die.(Leviticus 20:10).

If a man sleeps with his father's wife... both him and his father's wife is to be put to death.(Leviticus 20:11)

If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death.(Leviticus 20:14)

If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed.(Leviticus 20:15-16).

If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:18)

Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death.(Leviticus 20:27)

If a priest's daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake.(Leviticus 21:9)

People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)

Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community.(Leviticus 24:14-16)

#469495 Aug 8, 2013
who="Dan"
....none of which removes their human foible that they will apply to their individual reasoning as to what they believe, themselves, to be "truth". As such, it renders that "truth" to be subjective. "Truth" isn't subjective - it's not what I say it is.

And priests and pope's have no 'human foibles'? LOL
Dan

Omaha, NE

#469496 Aug 8, 2013
who="Dan"
All Christians have the ability to absolve others from the penalty of sin?
All Christians have the ability to absolve THOSE WHO SIN AGAINST THEMSELVES. No one can absolve the sins of those who sin against someone else...except God alone.
Than all christians do not, in fact, have the authority Christ gave the Apostles.

Just like I said.

#469497 Aug 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 16 18:19.
Black letter scripture.
The only assumption made here belongs to anyone who asserts that "all Christians" received this authority.
~~~
***THE ROCK THE THE CHURCH IS BUILT UPON IS CHRIST JESUS...

WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT PETER HAD PREEMINENCE...

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

***Rom_9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

***1Co_10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and ==>that Rock was Christ.<==

***1Pe_2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence,

===> even to them which stumble at the word,

being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. <---

QUESTION
==>WHO IS IT THAT HAS STUMBLED AT THE WORD..

BUT YOURSELVES.

ALL THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS HAVE THE KEYS...

Peace be unto you.
Joh 20:20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

Joh 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Joh 20:22 And when he had said this,

he breathed on them, and

saith unto them,

Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Joh 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit,

they are remitted unto them; and

whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

BEST READ YOU BIBLE

Canada

#469498 Aug 8, 2013
Do you even understand the passage in question?
How's your leading game coming along ... SELF?

:)
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#469499 Aug 8, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Ephesians 5:23
23 For the husband is the head of the wife as <<<<<Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.>>>>>
Peter DID NOT give his life for the church.....therefore, it is NOT Peter's body but CHRIST'S body in which CHRIST is the HEAD......
Yes Christ is the head of the Church, you saying Catholics believe differently is your lack of understanding.

Can you supply even one example in the early church where Rome is receiving authoritative teaching and instruction rather than consistently giving it?

Can you supply one example of a body of invisible believers voting on what the truth is the early church? One has to wonder why a letter was sent to the other churches.

One has to wonder why men were selected and taught by the Apostles. One has to wonder why Paul would tell Timothy not to ordain just anyone. One has to wonder why Hebrews says to obey those who are over you and do not give them grief for they watch over your souls and it would be unprofitable for you. One has to wonder why Paul bothered to write to the Corinthians the same Corinthians who usurped their Bishop and was rebuked by the Successor of Peter. No they didnt all have different gospels with no authority other than their personal interpretation. No there is not a single place in the bible or history that even resembles the teachings of modern day Protestants.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#469500 Aug 8, 2013
Peter the first chosen, Peter the one always listed first in scripture. Peter whose name is mentioned far more often than any other. Peter whom Paul went to visit. Peter whom Christ paid the Drachma tax for the first born of the family. Peter Whom Christ prayed to strengthen the others. Peter whom acts shows us people hoped his shadow would be cast among them. Peter and the others. Peter whom Christ said Blessed are YOU and changes his name to Rock I will give YOU the keys.

Changing a name is a big deal in scripture it signifies and event. Christ did not say just kidding. Christ is King and he is the key holder. He doesnt relinquesh them but gives them to Peter just as was done in Isaiah. You do not understand that in Israel there were 12 ministers and only ONE was given the Keys by the King it didnt mean he relinques all authority or is no longer King. Its not an either or deal, but you seem determined to reduce Jesus to prime minister rather than King. Christ is the King and those who would come to him and his church which gentiles were graphted into. Yes Peter denied Christ 3 times. After Christ asks him in front of the other Apostles. Do you love me more than these? Feed My Sheep. Saying something 3 times was always done on a commission of authority of an office.

I know how some Protestants like to Mock and berate Peter when most of you would hide worse than him if confronted with a Muslim in hostile territory. So brave you all are.
In Acts Peter is clearly leading the church. Filled with the Holy Spirit he boldy proceeds. The Saduccees who did not believe in the resurrection were infuriated. They dragged them into the sysnagogue and Peter recalls what the Lord had said, "when they bring you before the synagogue the Holy Spirit will tell you what to say. Peter nor the Apostles Lorded their authority over everyone, but that did not mean they didnt have any as clearly they did. When Ananias and Saphira lied, among other miracles performed anc ommissioning an preaching an understanding of the gospel.

No Apostle was immune from sin or not practicing what they preach. A Pope just like Peter is not immune from sin or perfect in all ways and to argue the Apostles were is pure insanity. Yet you believe that they spoke the truth. All Rabbis had authority to bind and loose, but not to the exclusion of the Key holder. You Protestants want to believe you are all key holders, the keys and your personal interpretations are scripture, or the key is believing, The key is baptism or not, the keys are dozens of things according to Protestants anything but what Christ intended. Sorry but the Church of Christ as you call it is not the church. All of you believe you have the truth and most of you believe only your church is the true one. Others say as long as you believe in Jesus its all good. Sorry, but Christ Christ gave the Keys to Peter. Christ will return have you heard? God was the King of Israel before the Isrealites demanded they have a King. What was Moses doing? Sorry, but you are just another Mirian grumbling that you are just as good as Moses. You are all in charge. We know how that went. But you are all just as good as the Apostles themselves. The arrogance is astounding.
truth

Perth, Australia

#469501 Aug 8, 2013
Holy scripture not say Levite is God as Creator exist.

Your real Creator exist.

Your Creator not created you for suffering no.

Your Creator is full of Mercy.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#469502 Aug 8, 2013
who="Dan"
....none of which removes their human foible that they will apply to their individual reasoning as to what they believe, themselves, to be "truth". As such, it renders that "truth" to be subjective. "Truth" isn't subjective - it's not what I say it is.
And priests and pope's have no 'human foibles'? LOL
Sure they do.

They recognize it. They don't claim to be able to definitively interpret scripture personally.

Canada

#469503 Aug 8, 2013
Ridiculous theology

The idea that Jesus and Jewish apostles would support a new religion rather than trying to bring the followers of their own religion (Judaism) into LINE is beyond stupid?

Even had Jesus been real and had come to earth to correct wayward Jews ... it's common sense that he would have corrected the Jews and preached ... "In order to please Jehovah ... this is the way JUDAISM must be followed. Follow me and I will lead you home."

Canada

#469504 Aug 8, 2013
Ridiculous theology

Imagine the idea that Jesus has to first become a Christian before he can become a perfected Jew.

I suggest that had Jesus lived, he would not have strayed from Judaism. He would have wanted all humanity to become Jews in the religious sense of the game ... as that is the nature of ALL religion ... "Join our cult, as it is the only one that 'makes sense.'"
Dan

Omaha, NE

#469505 Aug 8, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
***THE ROCK THE THE CHURCH IS BUILT UPON IS CHRIST JESUS...
WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT PETER HAD PREEMINENCE...
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
***Rom_9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
***1Co_10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and ==>that Rock was Christ.<==
***1Pe_2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence,
===> even to them which stumble at the word,
being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. <---
QUESTION
==>WHO IS IT THAT HAS STUMBLED AT THE WORD..
BUT YOURSELVES.
ALL THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS HAVE THE KEYS...
Peace be unto you.
Joh 20:20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
Joh 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Joh 20:22 And when he had said this,
he breathed on them, and
saith unto them,
Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Joh 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit,
they are remitted unto them; and
whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
BEST READ YOU BIBLE
Um, your passages speak of the apostles. They are the "disciples" in question here.

#469506 Aug 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered.
The passage tells WHO received the authority. i.e. The Apostles, and only the Apostles.
The further citations I provided support my statement that protestantism eschews succession of that authority.
Protestants don't believe that the authority to bind and loose survived the last apostle. Thus, they cannot "bind and loose".
Thanks
~~~

YOU WROTE

SAY NOT THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT...

QUESTION

WHY DO YOU LIE...AND MAKE STATEMENTS THAT ARE NOT TRUE..

DO YOU NOT KNOW THE BIBLE SAYS...

Rev_21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and

-->all liars,<--

shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

THERE ARE APOSTLES TODAY IN THE FIVE FOLD MINISTRY OF THE TRUE CHURCH...

OR WILL YOU DENY THE SCRIPTURE AGAIN...

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

NOTE
Eph 4:11 ==>And he gave some,

apostles; and some,

prophets; and some,

evangelists; and

some, pastors and

teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children,

tossed to and fro, and

carried about with every wind of doctrine,

by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness,

whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love,

may grow up into him in all things,

-->which is the head, even Christ:

-->NOTE JESUS IS THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH ..NOT PETER

Canada

#469507 Aug 8, 2013
The hair-flipping loud-mouth Ann Coulter preaches that Christians are "perfected" Jews.

That means that Jesus can't BE perfected, unless he first becomes a Christian.

Religion is based on idiocy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 10 min Happy Lesbo 196
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 12 min Truthiness 615
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 13 min truth 88,280
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min RiversideRedneck 977,405
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 32 min Pegasus 284,609
The Future of Politics in America 1 hr Buck Crick 271
News The 'Fake News' Con: A Case Study 2 hr Lick2526 27
More from around the web