Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 679021 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#466627 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
There will be no pain inflicted on me. This matter is between you and God. You attempted to pass off slander and deception as fact in order to smear the Catholic Church.
Please don't think you're able to personally hurt me with that. It only hurt yourself.
http://guardianlv.com/2013/07/ pope-francis-admits-a-top-secr et-vatican-gay-lobby/
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/11/pope...
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466628 Jul 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Orthodox Church and Catholic Church Differences
7. Although Orthodox Christians have at their disposal various institutions of learning such as schools, universities, and seminaries, and do hold “Sunday Schools,” at least in the USA, it is fair to say that the main catechetical vehicle for all Orthodox peoples is the Divine Liturgy.
All the liturgical prayers are self-contained: they enshrine the history, the story, the meaning, and the practical application of what is celebrated every Sunday, major feast, and commemoration of angels, saints, and prophets.
If one pays attention – and “Be attentive” is a common invitation made throughout the Divine Liturgy – the worshipper catches all that he or she needs to know and live the Orthodox faith without need for further specialized education.
For Orthodox church architecture exists to serve the Liturgy: you will not find in the East “modernistic” temples resembling auditoriums. Same thing applies to music which is either plain chant, or is organically derived from the tones found in plain chant.
This allows for “national expressions” of church music that nevertheless do not stray too far away from the set conventions.
Organ music exists but is rare; forget guitars or any other instrument for that matter. Choral arrangements are common in Russia – except in the Old Calendarist churches – the Orthodox counterparts to Catholic “traditionalists.”
8. The purpose of man in this life and the next is similar between the Orthodox and the Catholics but I believe the Orthodox “sing it in a higher key.”
While Catholics would say that the “end of man is to serve God in this life to be reasonably happy in this life and completely happy in the next,” a rather succinct explanation of what being “holy” entails, the Orthodox Church would say that the purpose of man is “deification.”
They will say that God became man so that man may become “god”( relationship/union with God)in the order of grace, not of nature of course.
Men – in the Greek the word for “man” still includes “womankind”– are called to partake fully of the divine nature.
There is no “taxonomy” of grace in the Orthodox Church, no “quantification” between “Sanctifying Grace” and actual grace, enabling grace, etc. Every grace is “Sanctifying Grace,” who – in this Catholic and Orthodox agree – is a Person, rather than a created power or effect geared to our sanctification.
Grace is a continuum, rather than a set of discreet episodes interspersed through a Christian’s life; for an Orthodox Christian, every Grace is Uncreated.
The consequences of such a view are rich, unfathomable, and rarely studied by Catholic Christians.
THERE ARE MORE
Herm, I'm just not seeing drastic differences. Especially when I research it myself. There seems to be a cultural differences more so than a theological difference. Apparently you want to expand these minor differences to paint a damning picture.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#466629 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Well some degree of evolution is truth, why WOULDN'T the CC accept it? Its a sin to play stupid and not use our God-given gifts of reason and logic.
God created all life. Everything. Apparently, He caused some of His creation to evolve to better equip them for gathering food, defense against predators and procreating.
Where are you Clay????

Timeline of Roman Catholicism ... church is not supported by church history – not even Roman Catholic history.... Most of these changes resulted from the Roman Catholic church's yielding to ... The Mass as a daily celebration – 394 AD.

Ah am interested in your info that disputes this and shows the correct time table of your mess...err...mass.

Location hidden

#466630 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. pathetic. you are really showing who you are.
Did you go to Mass today? I did. There was a delegation of Priests and their Bishop from Africa celebrating it here in America with us. On the other side of the world in Brazil, Pope Francis is celebrating the same Mass along with 3 million Catholics in attendance. This is our Church. Its truly Universal (catholic)
Your church is a sorry excuse of a church.I am showing you what your REAL church is like and is doing and yet you blame me for exposeing the truth.Typical.Oh by the way this post says nothing...means nothing....their are tons of catholics leaving your church..

Location hidden

#466631 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Herm, I'm just not seeing drastic differences. Especially when I research it myself. There seems to be a cultural differences more so than a theological difference. Apparently you want to expand these minor differences to paint a damning picture.
Minor....your delusional....I got my links for ya. Do you want them now or shall I space them out/ lol

Location hidden

#466632 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you go to Mass today? I did. There was a delegation of Priests and their Bishop from Africa celebrating it here in America with us. On the other side of the world in Brazil, Pope Francis is celebrating the same Mass along with 3 million Catholics in attendance. This is our Church. Its truly Universal (catholic)
In black and white...Catlicks do be worship da Mary!!!!

Pope John Paul II and Marian Worship...

POPE PRAYER TO MARY.

Pope John Paul bowing before a statue of Mary in worship.(See below right pic as well)

On May 7 Pope John Paul II dedicated his general audience to "the Virgin Mary" and urged all Christians to accept Mary as their mother. He noted the words spoken by Jesus on the cross to Mary and to John--"Woman, behold thy son!" and "Behold thy mother!" (John 19:26,27), and he claimed that in this statement "IT IS POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND THE AUTHENTIC MEANING OF MARIAN WORSHIP in the ecclesial community ... which furthermore is based on the will of Christ" (Vatican Information Service, May 7, 1997).

John Paul II underlined that "the history of Christian piety teaches that MARY IS THE PATH THAT LEADS TO CHRIST, and that filial devotion to her does not at all diminish intimacy with Jesus, but rather, it increases it and leads it to very high levels of perfection." He concluded by asking all Christians "to make room (for Mary) in their daily lives, ACKNOWLEDGING HER PROVIDENTIAL ROLE IN THE PATH OF SALVATION"

Location hidden

#466633 Jul 28, 2013
more
Simple

Chicago, IL

#466634 Jul 28, 2013
hojo wrote:
Over 3 million youth attending mass on Copacabana Beach, the Vatican, World Youth Day organizers, civil authorities estimate [email protected]
Now lets compare this to the 42,000+ divisive, contradicting and inconsistent bible only Protestant denominations with their (conflicting) "editorializing self-interpreting" preachers and ministers.....The fact is that you "relative truth" (fundies) will have to mis-interpret, personal opinionize and (spin the meaning) of bible verses at a MUCH higher rate and create more Protestant division, in order for you to reach the 3 million mark!!
Like Jesus said, Wide is the gate that leads to damnation and many that enter it but narrow the gate that leads to eternal life and few that find it.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466635 Jul 28, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay your earthly authority. Changes,it's,teaching ..within decades,to go along with EARTHLY SCIENCE which seems to change weekly .
What was TRUTH is STILL TRUTH ..WE have a SOURCE ..THE BIBLE .
IF s scripture can be changeable its not inerrant.
And some Protestants also go along with the CHanges
Sorry I believe the BIBle ..
Surprised. Surprised The CHURCH seems,not to..
Yes, the Catholic Church now says the Earth is round. Sorry about that. It seems upon further observation, the Earth wasn't flat.

Location hidden

#466636 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
What ar you complaining about...you wanted reputable sites and I gave them to you....(I am beginning to think you don't like me)

Location hidden

#466637 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
There will be no pain inflicted on me. This matter is between you and God. You attempted to pass off slander and deception as fact in order to smear the Catholic Church.
Please don't think you're able to personally hurt me with that. It only hurt yourself.
No I backed up slander with facts and a reputable site and your still crying about it.Take it up with CNN not me.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466638 Jul 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Your church is a sorry excuse of a church.I am showing you what your REAL church is like and is doing and yet you blame me for exposeing the truth.Typical.Oh by the way this post says nothing...means nothing....their are tons of catholics leaving your church..
You showed me a news article about an allegation that was later proved false.
That's all you did Sera. You were trying to hurt Catholics by implying this particular allegation was reflective of our Church.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#466639 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay,I dont condemn Catholic beliefs in these areas. I just want to clarify the Orthodox beliefs.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466640 Jul 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>No I backed up slander with facts and a reputable site and your still crying about it.Take it up with CNN not me.
Ok. Hope you have a Blessed Sunday.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#466641 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the Catholic Church now says the Earth is round. Sorry about that. It seems upon further observation, the Earth wasn't flat.
And the bible NEVER said it was,...your Church called a round earth revolving around the sun HERESY .

again I'll go with the BIBLE..it's,decree,on how,God created Adam is quite,Specific .

Nothing about flat earth or the sun ..just its,rising and setting

Location hidden

#466642 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. Hope you have a Blessed Sunday.
There are some weeks when picking a number one bonehead (This Week's Top Scrooge) is really tough.

This week isn't one of them. Pope Benedict XVI wins the dishoner hands down, no questions asked, slam dunk, done deal, finito.

The easy pick is made possible by this: Reports came out Wednesday that Pope Benedict XVI approved a document late last month saying non-Catholic Christian communities are either defective or not true churches, and the Roman Catholic Church provides the only true path to salvation.

The document stated other Christian communities such as Protestants "cannot be called 'churches' in the proper sense" since they don't have what's known as apostolic succession - that is, the ability to trace their bishops back to the original 12 apostles of Jesus.

Clay.....Since you are a Catholic....please provide us with this apostolic succession of your bishops to the original 12 apostles of Jesus...ah am interested in seeing that list!!!!!

Question....at what point in time did the original apostles turn into bishops!!!!??????

Since: Sep 09

Willow River, Canada

#466643 Jul 28, 2013
Protestants and Catholics never learn that at one time both the Catholic and Protestant hierarchies were ordering the death penalty for countless "offenses" against "god's" supposed will.

They made up those stories out of their own woven "fabric of lies" in the pretense that a god was offended by "sin."

They encouraged you to be divided by dogmas, to in turn fight with each other ... and you fell for their schemes.

I suggest you stop perceiving each other as Catholic OR Protestant ... but rather see each other as mortal humans trying to make it through each day with as little turmoil in your lives as possible.

If you want to find peace within, you will have to stop defending your own dogmas and simply admit ... "I may have been mislead by my theologians, and I will have to learn to stop judging who knows the truth concerning a hereafter and simply do my best to be kind to others each moment that I live on earth. If a god exists, I trust that the god will know my change of heart and observe my new-found good will towards my neighbors.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466644 Jul 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Clay,I dont condemn Catholic beliefs in these areas. I just want to clarify the Orthodox beliefs.
And I appreciate that, because I do not know all about Orthodoxy.
When I say we agree on 95%, I am speaking of the Sacraments and the Mass; Mary being sinless and ever Virgin.

When I say 95%, I'm not considering the different colored hats your Bishops wear vs ours etc.

Willow River, Canada

#466645 Jul 28, 2013
The story that never ends.

"I know what GOD meant by those words in that scripture."

"No you don't know.'I' know."

"But didn't men write those words?"

"Of COURSE they did, but they were inspired by GOD to write."

"How can we be sure?"

"Well, I'm sure. You can show doubt if you want to lose faith ... but I KNOW that GOD inspired those words."

"Where were we ... OH YES ... I know what GOD meant by those words in that scripture!"

"NO YOU DON'T!!! I KNOW!!!"

Willow River, Canada

#466646 Jul 28, 2013
Do you honestly believe that a god inspired all of these authors to write what ended up to be a book of words that conflicted with other words?
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

From the book “Smith’s Bible Dictionary.

Bible

There are at least thirty six different authors, who wrote in three continents, in many countries, in three languages, and from every possible human standpoint. Among these authors were kings, farmers, mechanics, scientific men, lawyers, generals, fishermen, ministers and priests, a tax-collector, a doctor, some rich, some poor, some city bred, some country born—thus touching all the experiences of men—extending over 1500 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min RiccardoFire 2,569
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 28 min UMAKEWORLDPEACEUM... 982,141
Melania Trump's hair shines in Saudi sun 55 min UMAKEWORLDPEACEUM... 4
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr UMAKEWORLDPEACEUM... 119,084
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Holy Jehowa Witness 46,213
Gangbang with my Girlfriend. (Mar '11) 3 hr Kinky1ntn 33
The Seth Rich Murder 4 hr Hiddn Numbrz 5
More from around the web