Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 22,500)

Showing posts 449,981 - 450,000 of511,901
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Free Grace 7" Salvation is a...GIFT(Ephesians 2:8,9). A gift, is given to a recipient, expecting nothing in return.
However, or hopefully, the recipient is thankful, an lives a life of gratitude and appreciation(though it is not required).
"IF you love Me, keep My commandments." Read the Book. He knows we are flesh, and not perfect, so when we fail...if we repent/confess...and trust Him, He forgives and cleanses us.
But we must not live in rebellion, deliberately sinning.
KayMarie
... Belief in the Lord Jesus Christ
Does Not Guarantee Loving Him

This verse is the only place in the entire NT where the idea of loving the Lord occurs using the verb phileo. However, very similar expressions do occur and they clearly show that loving the Lord Jesus is not the same as believing in Him.

In the Upper Room Discourse Jesus said to the eleven, all believers, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15). See also John 21:15-17, James 4:4, and 1 John 2:15. The Lord wouldn't have commanded them to keep His commandments and thereby love Him if all believers automatically obey and love Him. But believers don't always keep the Lord's commandments, so they don't always love Him! Loving Jesus Christ is not the same as believing in Him.

Since all who have come to faith in Christ for eternal life are secure forever (John 5:24; Rom 8:38-39), and since some believers don't love the Lord, this verse can't be teaching that those who don't love Him are unsaved. This leads us to consider the key word in this verse, anathema (accursed).
http://www.faithalone.org/magazine/y1995/95D2...

--------- I recently came across the following quote from Watchman Nee, the famous Chinese evangelist and martyr. It is taken from a lecture he gave in Shanghai, during the spring of 1937, translated in The Gospel of God Vol. 1 (Anaheim, CA: Living Stream Ministry, 1990). It is almost word for word what Zane, Bob, and others in the Free Grace movement have been saying for years:

“In the entire Bible, there is only one book that tells how we receive eternal life. This book is the Gospel of John. From the very beginning to the very end of the Gospel of John, we cannot find a single occurrence of the word repentance. The word repentance never occurs in this book at all. This book tells us how we can have eternal life (3:15, 16b, 36), but nothing is mentioned about repentance. It mentions repeatedly that man receives eternal life through faith. When a man believes, he has eternal life. It never mentions repentance. Not only does it not mention repentance directly, it does not mention repentance even indirectly or metaphorically. This is a fact that we have to remember.

Second, there are two books which tell us how man is justified before God. They are Romans and Galatians. The book of Romans does mention repentance, but it never makes repentance a condition for salvation. Neither of these books has ever made repentance a condition for salvation and promise. Hence, we have to remember that of the three books in the Bible that deal specifically with salvation, eternal life, and justification, not once is repentance mentioned as condition for salvation. In all three books, faith is mentioned every time as the only condition. This shows us clearly that man is saved by faith and not by works”(pp. 207-208).

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I really wish that they could just say as their Pope did ..That was awful eh as t happened in the past..let's all work together now to s press the word of God .
No one h as to give up and join my CHUrch to be saved ..s a location is from Jesus alone ..
admit fault! Your kidding me...aint gonna happen in my life time lol
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Too bad that when it comes to actually LIVING main passages the RCC fails so miserably.
Matt. 25-31-46 doesn't have a get out of jail free card for bigots, homophobes or those who use Jesus and God as weapons against their brothers and sisters.
When it comes to "Living main passages", bible only Protestant (self-interpreters) invent and make-up their own personal (editorialized opinions) with regard to "each and every" cherry picked scripture verse that they "pull out of the air"!! The fact is that Sola Scriptura "propagandists" are today's "real failures" when it comes to interpreting sacred scripture!.....They just make each bible verse mean ONLY what they "want it to mean"!! Each are "individualized" with more than 42,000+contradicting, conflicting and inconsistent denominations, each one interpreting (or better yet -mis-interpreting) to their own demise and destruction. It is NO WONDER, today, that many bible only denominations have been infected with false doctrine in their beliefs, contrary to the TRUE INTERPRETATION of the
Bible by the Early Church Fathers in 382,393 and 397 AD, who formed the Canon of Scripture, giving all of us the bible, which you are "forever" mis-interpreting, in supporting abortion, homosexuality, euthenasia, embroyonic stem cell research, gay ministers and on and on and on, whichever way the "political wind" happens to blow!!!

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I really wish that they could just say as their Pope did ..That was awful eh as t happened in the past..let's all work together now to s press the word of God .
No one h as to give up and join my CHUrch to be saved ..s a location is from Jesus alone ..
Typos

Salvation is from JESUS ALONE ..

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Those who denied the canonicity of most (if not all) of the apocrypha (i.e. they denied the Roman Catholic canon) throughout the centuries:

Jews Prior to Jamnia

The Talmud

Philo of Alexandria

Jesus ben Sirah

The Essenes

Josephus

Church Fathers

Melito of Sardis

Julius Africanus

Origen

Hilary of Poitiers

Cyril of Jerusalem

Athanasius

Epiphanius

Gregory Nazianzus

Amphilochius

Basil the Great

Rufinus

Jerome

Anastasius of Antioch

Primasius

Nicolas of Lyra

Pope Gregory the Great

John of Damascus

Medieval Writers

Glossa Ordinaria

Cardinal Cajetan

The Venerable Bede

Agobard of Lyons

Alcuin

Walafrid Strabo

Haymo of Halberstadt

Ambrose of Autpert

Radulphus Flavicencius

Hugh of St. Victor

Richard of St. Victor

John of Salisbury

Peter Cellensis

Rupert of Deutz

Honorius of Autun

Peter Comestor

Peter Mauritius

Adam Scotus

Hugh of St. Cher

Philip of Harvengt

Nicholas of Lyra

William of Ockham

Antoninus

Alonso Tostado

Dionysius the Carthusian

Thomas Walden

Jean Driedo

John Ferus

Jacobus Faber Stapulensis

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

“Modern [Bible] translators…generally translate metanoia as repentance. While this is an improvement over the Latin translation ‘penance,’ it is in most cases, as we shall now see, a poor reflection of its meaning in the NT.”(Bob Wilkin,“New Testament Repentance: Lexical Considerations,” http://bible.org/seriespage/new-testament-rep... , underlining added.)

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

“…the English word repentance derives from the Latin and does not express the exact meaning of [the Greek word] metanoia.” (Wendell G. Johnston, “Repentance,” Don Campbell, Wendell Johnston, John Walvoord, John Witmer,The Theological Wordbook [Nashville: Word Publishing, 2000], p. 296, underlining added.)

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

"In the English Bible the word [metanoia] is translated ‘repentance,’ but this rendering hardly does justice to the original, since it gives undue prominence to the emotional element." (Louis Berkoff, Systematic Theology [Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1996], p. 480, underlining added.)

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

“Repent (metanoeite). Broadus used to say that this is the worst translation in the New Testament. The trouble is that the English word ‘repent’ means ‘to be sorry again’ from the Latin repoenitet (impersonal). John [the Baptist] did not call on the people to be sorry, but to change (think afterwards) their mental attitudes (metanoeite) and conduct. The Vulgate has it ‘do penance’ and Wycliff has followed that. The Old Syriac has it better: ‘Turn ye.’ The French (Geneva) has it “Amendez vous.” This is John’s great word (Bruce) and it has been hopelessly mistranslated. The tragedy of it is that we have no one English word that reproduces exactly the meaning and atmosphere of the Greek word.” (A. T. Robertson, Word Pictures of the New Testament, commentary on Matthew 3:2, underlining added.)

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

“It is a linguistic and theological tragedy that we have to go on using ‘repentance’ for metanoia. But observe that the ‘sorrow’ has led to ‘repentance’ and was not itself the repentance.” (A. T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament, commentary on 2 Corinthians 7:9, underlining added.)

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

“It is unfortunate that [the Greek word] metanoeo is translated ‘repent’ in the English Bible, for the English etymology denotes more the idea of penitence as sorrow, or worse, the [Roman] Catholic doctrine of penance, than it does the more accurate ‘change of mind.’” (Charlie Bing, Lordship Salvation [Xulon Press, 2010], p. 69, underlining added.)

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

"Here, now, we come upon the practical and all-important point of this inquiry. For, putting these words, Metanoia and Repentance, side by side, is there not, on the contrary [to what some say], a most radical divergency between them?....At the best [the word Repentance] can only hang on the skirts of the great Greek expression [Metanoia]....How did such an extraordinary mistranslation get into our New Testament?...We feel prepared, at least, to say, with regard to the present subject, that the necessary employment of a paraphrase should not be an occasion for hesitation in making so important an alteration. We can leave it to the candid reader to judge which is the most [or least] objectionable; a resort to a paraphrase which really translates, or the preference for a technical word, to say nothing of an uncertain one, which is always in need of translation. Better, even, were the bald phrase 'change of mind,' with an explanation which would give it fulness and dignity, than themisleading rendering we have to put up with now." (Treadwell Walden, "THE GREAT MEANING OF THE WORD METANOIA: LOST IN THE OLD VERSION, UNRECOVERED IN THE NEW," The American Church Review, Vol. 35 [July 1881]: pp. 148, 149, 153, 155, underlining added; cf. Walden, The Great Meaning of Metanoia [New York: Whittaker, 1896], pp. 14, 15, 24, 29.)

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
I am whom God says I am....
You are who you say your imaginary god says you are ... and that is a star to shine bright in heaven ... while others burn in hell.

You're quite the preacher all right ... but my guess is, you are NOT right about a god calling you to preach ... or that you preach anything even resembling truth.

From my perception your brain is full of the stuff of fluff.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
JESUS CHRIST IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY DENOMINATION.
What if you heard him shout in your ear that he "thought" all Christians are liars for claiming that he was not a faithful Jew to Judaism?

Would you still worship that imaginary Jew?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

For the Orthodox, metanoia, denotes a change of mind, a reorientation, a fundamental transforma­tion of outlook, of man's vision of the world and of himself, and a new way of loving others and God.

In the words of a second-century text, The Shepherd of Hermas, it implies "great understanding,"1 discernment.

It involves, that is, not mere regret of past evil but a recognition by man of a dar­kened vision of his own condition, in which sin, by sepa­rating him from God, has reduced him to a divided, auto­nomous existence, depriving him of both his natural glory and freedom.

"Repentance," says Basil the Great, "is salva­tion, but lack of understanding is the death of repentance."

It is clear that what is at stake here is not particular acts of contrition, but an attitude, a state of mind.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Free Grace 7 wrote:
Those who denied the canonicity of most (if not all) of the apocrypha (i.e. they denied the Roman Catholic canon) throughout the centuries:
Here's a canon that was once followed, but has since dissipated into thin air giving the illusion that it never caused harm in the first place.

The idea that children could be illegitimate to a god is one of the most obnoxious teachings put forth by religion.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Defect of Birth

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Defect of Birth was, under former Roman Catholic canon law, a canonical impediment to ordination, stemming from illegitimacy. Under the current 1983 Code of Canon Law, illegitimacy no longer has any canonical implications or consequences.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Repent from not believing the Gospel.

Most don't really believe in the Gospel including the catholics here.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
For the Orthodox, metanoia, denotes a change of mind, a reorientation, a fundamental transforma­tion of outlook, of man's vision of the world and of himself, and a new way of loving others and God.
Whose imaginary god are all humans in the world expected to love ... yours by any chance?

What about the goddesses? Are they to be left out of the picture on your say-so???

:)

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What if you heard him shout in your ear that he "thought" all Christians are liars for claiming that he was not a faithful Jew to Judaism?
Would you still worship that imaginary Jew?
If Jesus,shouted in my ear ..I would get down on my knees,..

Actually that is what sometimes,happens when the Spirit wants our attention ..He gets it .

Jesus was a,Jew,..he remained a Jew ..

His followers at first were Jewish...But in preaching the Gospel to the
GENTILES,..it was,NOT necessary that we as Leo become Jews,.

The Jews still have a,covenant with God ..We were,chosen as GENTILES because the nation of Jews,rejected Him as,Messiah .

God still will keep Hos promise to the Jews ...

He will return to ISRAEL ..as he left..He will come in Glory as,Jesus the Son if the Living God..Not as a Jewish man .

And every knee shall bow ..

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

marge wrote:
Repent from not believing the Gospel.
Most don't really believe in the Gospel including the catholics here.
Hey Marge ..good evening

Here is,something FREE GRACE /OSAS shared with me ..

Thought you might like it ..kind of speaks to what we were discussing the other day!#!!

http://www.godislight.org/misc/judicial_paren...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 449,981 - 450,000 of511,901
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

617 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 3 min lewy1221 224
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 3 min Velvet MJK 3,984
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Sheilaa 109,489
The Word Association Game (Apr '11) 5 min Velvet MJK 435
Ebay abuses millions of Americans and should be... 6 min EmpireEarth 1
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 min Toby 89,477
Why the atheist are immoral? 9 min Christian Faith 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min Joy 679,679
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 min Divinity Surgeon 216,620
•••
•••
•••