Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688604 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#466506 Jul 27, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
<quoted text>Can you quote me calling them a Pope Or Bishop? I didnt think so. However, they were church fathers(which I actually said before), and they representa some early thoughts in Christianity. Also, Origen was the first to give commentary on the Gospel of Matthew. Again, not everyone held to transubstantiation, which is what I have been saying.
Goodness, I would say allot more people didn't believe in transubstantiation than you think. It's not an easy Sacrament to comprehend unless you've partook in it or you are familiar with earlier Jewish scriptures.

Even those who knew Christ personally couldn't grasp it...

"Many of His Disciples, when they heard it said, "This is a hard saying. Who can listen to it?"
But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples murmured at it, said to them, "Do you take offense at this? What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending where He was before? It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are SPIRIT AND LIFE.. But there are some of you that do not believe"

After that, many of His disciples had enough and walked away from Our Lord.
truth

Thornlie, Australia

#466507 Jul 27, 2013
it is written ..
to be happiest one who not see..but believe..and have faith..
it is written
its not give to everyone to see..

God is love.He has not done to us even according our sins..not according our errors..psalm 103
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#466508 Jul 27, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
<quoted text>Can you quote me calling them a Pope Or Bishop? I didnt think so. However, they were church fathers(which I actually said before), and they representa some early thoughts in Christianity. Also, Origen was the first to give commentary on the Gospel of Matthew. Again, not everyone held to transubstantiation, which is what I have been saying.
I didn't say you actually said they were Popes or Bishops. But my first impression was that they had 'some sort of official athoritive opinion on the matter' that's why you decided to quote them i presumed.
As i said, i was familiar with Origen, and knew he was a 2nd century intellectual. There wasn't many educated Christians back then. Men like Origen and Clement of Alexandria were important to the communication of the faith ... Much in the same way that Luke was vital to the Apostle Paul in communicating the faith.
Thats how i see it.
It's ok to study what Origen and Clement of Alex had to say, but it still comes down to what the Church decided was valid. Some of their stuff was in valid. Some were not.

Now, Ignatius of Antioch and Clement of Rome were valid members of the Church heirarchy. They were ordained by the bare hands of the Apostles. What these men had to say about the faith carries great weight. Their writings destroy Protestanism. It validates 2,000 yrs of the Catholic faith.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#466509 Jul 27, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
<quoted text>My Link endorses no Such thing... Free Grace 7 wrote:
<quoted text>I have provided before, a detailed study, on this matter. See here(again):
https://bible.org/article/content-and-extent -...
Well I went to the site my friend recommended ..third in evolution

Got this
http://www.catholiceducation.org/links/search...

Think I will stick with Genesis from the bible

But may be you can find something useful for YOUR discussion on the site

She also cites,Origen..Ignatius and John Chrystotum ..if that help

As early writers to turn to ...
truth

Thornlie, Australia

#466510 Jul 27, 2013
it is written
blade of Jesus Christ..Cross

'who is been strip off and put on shame'

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#466511 Jul 27, 2013
who="Seraphima" Happy Anniversity Mr. and Mrs. Confrinting!!!God Bless You Both!!61 years is a long time .Congratulations!!!

Thank you so very much. Bless you.

KM

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466512 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I went to the site my friend recommended ..third in evolution
Got this
Think I will stick with Genesis from the bible
But may be you can find something useful for YOUR discussion on the site
She also cites,Origen..Ignatius and John Chrystotum ..if that help
As early writers to turn to ...
Appreciate it!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#466513 Jul 27, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Rose the Best thing you could ever do was to leave that church!Dont let these catholics upset you.They are nothing but hot air bragging and trying to brain wash whom ever they can.That church has changed so many thing so many times that its pitiful.If you wanna know about the catholic church DONT go to a catholic site or ask a catholic for they will only tell you what they have been told and the so call TRUTH is always hidden even from them by the upper big shots.That church should go into the carpet cleaning business since it does a lot of sweeping stuff under the carpet..lol
Don't worry SERA..I know better ..Lol just had a Catholic friend direct me to a site to clear things up ..made it worse.

Think I'll stick to BIBLE sites.

When I look passages up ..all the versions say the same thing .

Oh well ..how is Nick today
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#466514 Jul 27, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I am glad you feel that way. I have been trying my best to hold back and I am about to bust....Thanks again for the A-ok...lol.....oh and by the way, what I post is not against Jesus or His Church. It is against Your church which began in 1054 and is NOT the True Church that Jesus founded....He would never approve of such a horrific past history....OPA!
The Church is referred to as "Catholic Church" as early as 55 A.D

According to the four Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles, about the year 33 C.E., the structure of the Church was set up by Jesus Christ before His Ascension and then the early Christian Church was born on Pentecost when the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles and disciples.

This same Church was referred as the “Catholic Church” as early as 55 AD.(about 10 years after the last book of the New Testament was written)--with "no mention" of the word Orthodox!!! The Greek term "Katholikos" (meaning universal) appears in the Letter of St. Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans:

"Wherever the bishop appear, there let the multitude be; even as wherever Christ Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church." The Apostles of Jesus, and especially in Paul's writings refers to a hierarchical, authoritative, visible Church in the book of Acts with bishops, priests, elders and deacons. Paul also (in I Timothy 3:15) calls the Church, the pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the truth!!
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#466515 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me I know,a,lot about the CATHOLIC CHURCH ..And I know that poem was,NOT a true thing ..I'm not senile yet
Have to tell you ..even though you all think I hate the CC I don't.
And your posts today upset me very much..as I honestly thought your theology unchanging FRIM what I learned .
How can a,Church believing in God say evolution is,valid .
Evolution says,our ancestor s were the same as,apes ancestor s..of course they used to s a y there was a missing link.
That is how,I saw your church today ..changing its TFUE teachings,to go along with the secular .
I think many things the Church did were ungodly in the past but really thought your theology on JESUS AND CREATION unchanging .
Mary Not so much.
Or that Jonah was a,maybe thing when Christ specifically mentions it .
You really threw me today and that IS a sincere comment ..
Declaring Mary ever virgin and Immaculately conceived was nit FRIM the early SCRIPTURE. But CREATION IS,FROM THE OLDEST SCRIPTURE.
Maybe you should be the one talks to the priest and I do not say THST to be mean..
You have disillusioned a person already disillusioned ..
The Mary part ..well we will all find out in heaven .
The,rest ..either your scriptures sacred or they are not..to be believed or not.
Just my opinion ..take it as you choose .
Now hold on Rose. That's not fair. I am just a Catholic laity. My opinions on things like 'Jonah and the Whale' or 'Evolution' do not represent authoritative Catholic teaching . There are many Catholics who accept Jonah and the Whale as an actual historic event.
I bet there are some in the College of Cardinals who believe and some that don't.
The Church has always been silent on Biblical stories like Jonah or Noel and the flood. It doesn't mean they say it didn't happen.

And as far as I know, the Church is open to the idea of Evolution playing a pivotal role in the history of this world. BUT NOT IN REPLACING THE HANDY WORK OF GOD, but rather, highlighting it; magnifying it! Evolution didn't create us, God did.

Chicagoland

#466516 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say you actually said they were Popes or Bishops. But my first impression was that they had 'some sort of official athoritive opinion on the matter' that's why you decided to quote them i presumed.
As i said, i was familiar with Origen, and knew he was a 2nd century intellectual. There wasn't many educated Christians back then. Men like Origen and Clement of Alexandria were important to the communication of the faith ... Much in the same way that Luke was vital to the Apostle Paul in communicating the faith.
Thats how i see it.
It's ok to study what Origen and Clement of Alex had to say, but it still comes down to what the Church decided was valid. Some of their stuff was in valid. Some were not.
Now, Ignatius of Antioch and Clement of Rome were valid members of the Church heirarchy. They were ordained by the bare hands of the Apostles. What these men had to say about the faith carries great weight. Their writings destroy Protestanism. It validates 2,000 yrs of the Catholic faith.
What source of Authority, other than Scripture, can you point to, to validate your claims of your church having authority?
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Willow River, Canada

#466517 Jul 27, 2013
Simple wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth is only found by those who seek truth not proving themselves right.
I've observed those who claim they are "seeking truth" bragging about "knowing truth." You fight with each other as Protestants and Catholics on each side of the fence created by the warring theologians.

And you keep on playing the same games over and over and over.

The brutal history of religion has taught you nothing but to keep on defending your own lies of KNOWING the one and only truth.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#466518 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodness, I would say allot more people didn't believe in transubstantiation than you think. It's not an easy Sacrament to comprehend unless you've partook in it or you are familiar with earlier Jewish scriptures.
"Many of His Disciples, when they heard it said, "This is a hard saying. Who can listen to it?"
But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples murmured at it, said to them, "Do you take offense at this? What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending where He was before? It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are SPIRIT AND LIFE.. But there are some of you that do not believe"
Key verse---John 6:63, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life."

It is the Spirit who gives life.......the flesh is NO HELP at all.

Chicagoland

#466519 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Spirit gives life, and the flesh is of no avail. Being a "disciple", does not always mean believer. Take Judas for example(See John 6).
Also, since most were not educated(per your previous comment), then they bought what some others believed, not being able to investigate. Also, you assume, all others believe as you do, but you have none of their writings, to back up Such a assertion.
June VanDerMark

Willow River, Canada

#466520 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Think I'll stick to BIBLE sites.
If you have a bible why would feel a need to go to a bible site???

Do miserable people need to be told again and again and again that god loves Protestants and will keep a warm spot in hell especially for Catholics and other heretics?

You people don't think very highly of your god ... do you??? I don't blame you. If he exists I also wouldn't trust him. He would be a mean S.O.B. indeed!

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed.(Leviticus 20:9)

If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die.(Leviticus 20:10).

If a man sleeps with his father's wife... both him and his father's wife is to be put to death.(Leviticus 20:11)

If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death.(Leviticus 20:14)

If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed.(Leviticus 20:15-16).

If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:18)

Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death.(Leviticus 20:27)

If a priest's daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake.(Leviticus 21:9)

People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)

Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community.(Leviticus 24:14-16)
Simple

Chicago, IL

#466521 Jul 27, 2013
OldJG wrote:
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED? WHO IS THE PROPER CANDIDATE?
Only a saved person should be baptized. That means one who has believed on Jesus Christ and by faith has received Him as their personal Savior.
Acts 8:26-39, the Eunuch asked to be baptized. When the Eunuch desired to be baptized Philip said to him, "If thou believeth with all thine heart, thou mayest." The eunuch confessed he did believe and was then baptized. Note that in V38, they left the chariot and went down into the water and after the Eunuch was baptized by immersion they came up out of the water. Clearly this is baptism by immersion.(More will be said on that a little further)
If a lost person is baptized then it is a picture of a lie. If a lost person who has not believed in Jesus Christ and is baptized the symbolism is saying he is confessing he believes in Jesus Christ as his Savior when in fact he does not. No one should be baptized who does not have a clear testimony of believing in Jesus Christ alone for their salvation.
The Biblical mode of Baptism is to be immersed. Sprinkling, pouring, etc. are not biblical modes of baptism. These practices do not picture the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. The Greek word is "baptizo" means to immerse and has no other meaning. When the Bible was being translated the translators were told to translate the word "baptizo "in a neutral way so as not to offend the Roman Catholics who sprinkled or the New Testament churches that immersed. So the translators compromised and transliterated the word baptizo into new English word "baptism." However, the Greek text is emphatic that the word means to immerse or dip into the water. Sprinkling IS NOT BAPTISM. God is very clear on this.
Any other mode of baptism makes light of the death and resurrection of Christ. Those that practice these false methods of baptism have not obeyed the first commandment of their professed Lord. God choose the method of baptism to be a picture of the Gospel the person who is being baptized is identifying himself with Christ.
Baptism is to be done in the name of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Matt. 28:19-20. In this passage, called the "Great Commission" Jesus commanded that believers were to go into the world and preach the Gospel and baptize them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Both the evangelism of the world and baptism were to be done in the name of the Trinity. Biblical baptisms are those that are done by true Bible believing assemblies that follow the New Testament as its sole rule and authority for its faith and practice. God has not given any church or individual the right to change what He put in place and instructed.
Wrong! Baptism is necessary.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#466522 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Now hold on Rose. That's not fair. I am just a Catholic laity. My opinions on things like 'Jonah and the Whale' or 'Evolution' do not represent authoritative Catholic teaching . There are many Catholics who accept Jonah and the Whale as an actual historic event.
I bet there are some in the College of Cardinals who believe and some that don't.
The Church has always been silent on Biblical stories like Jonah or Noel and the flood. It doesn't mean they say it didn't happen.
And as far as I know, the Church is open to the idea of Evolution playing a pivotal role in the history of this world. BUT NOT IN REPLACING THE HANDY WORK OF GOD, but rather, highlighting it; magnifying it! Evolution didn't create us, God did.
Point taken ..evidently there is some confusion on this .

I'll stick with Creation ..God did it all .

Tried a site a friend gave me Catholic ..was more confused then BEFIRE frankly ..can't expect you to see things better than they do ..since I cannot tell what exactly her site is saying.

The bible stories with have to do ..

What Km saying CLAY is they were good enough to teach in the fifties ..guess they changed things or became unclear ..it did not used to be ambiguous

And in every thing I learned as protestant ..it still isn't :)
June VanDerMark

Willow River, Canada

#466523 Jul 27, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
<quoted text> Being a "disciple", does not always mean believer.
"Within Catholic theology" disciples of Jesus would have known that they dare not mention Judaism as the true faith, because Jesus would have been irate at them and threatened them with Christian hell is they didn't "fly right."

You will see the lies ... but only when you WANT to see.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#466524 Jul 27, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
<quoted text>What source of Authority, other than Scripture, can you point to, to validate your claims of your church having authority?
The only thing i could say about that is: if Jesus Christ was truly the Son of God (God Himself made manifest) and our very shot at paradise hinged on our understanding of truth.. then we would need to know what truth is. We would need to know about good, evil, sin and the process of achieving salvation. Right?
After all, God is perfect truth and justice. Why would He leave everyone guessing at what His will is? Why would He require people to decipher through the writings of some of His Apostles in order to establish truth?

Like i stated earlier. Somebody has to be the authority on His Ministry until He gets back. Someones interpretations have to be the truth.

Historically, there has been 266 Bishops of Rome since Saint Peter. Logically, the only way to ensure the continuation of truth for you, me and our grandkids, is to have a succession of entrusted people that you'll protect from error and respect their free will at the same time.( by that i mean our Popes are sinners and some have sinned terribly. BUT they did not change the truth).
June VanDerMark

Willow River, Canada

#466525 Jul 27, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
<quoted text>The Spirit gives life, and the flesh is of no avail. Being a "disciple", does not always mean believer. Take Judas for example(See John 6).
Theology of lies

Judas would have been the ONLY one of the disciples that was faithful to Judaism. Catholics depicted Jesus and the other apostles as traitors to Judaism in ORDER to be supporters of Christianity.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

All these years later and it is no easier to write of Judas Iscariot than it was in the dark days. Not because I hold any judgment against him, but rather because I do not.

I will tell the story of Judas and hope to do so with justice. He was a man uncompromising in his principles, and those who follow us must know this: he did not betray those—or us—for a bag of silver. The truth is that Judas was the most loyal of the twelve. I have had so many reasons for grief years past, and yet I think there is but One whom I mourn more than Judas.

There are many who would have me write harshly of Judas—to condemn him as a betrayer, as a traitor, as one who was blind to the truth. But I can write none of those things for they would be lies before my pen touched the page. Enough lies will be written about our time, God has shown me that. I will not write more.

For what is my purpose, if not to tell the whole truth of what occurred then?

The Arques Gospel of Mary Magdalene,
The Book of disciples.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 min Elerby 36,541
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 min Wisdom of Ages 6,542
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 43 min trifecta1 988,420
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 45 min scientistsknowrea... 619,810
How did black people get here ( economically) 9 hr RFD 64
What was the Vegas mass murderer's REAL problem? 10 hr RFD 18
Why is Mahattan Johnny a gay trucker 12 hr JuJu 6
More from around the web