Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658896 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466417 Jul 27, 2013
Augustine of Hippo (354-430 CE): He supported absolute inerrancy in a letter to St. Jerome. He wrote:
"On my own part I confess to your charity that it is only to those books of Scripture which are now called canonical that I have learned to pay such honor and reverence as to believe most firmly that none of their writers has fallen into any error. And if in these books I meet anything which seems contrary to truth, I shall not hesitate to conclude either that the text is faulty, or that the translator has not expressed the meaning of the passage, or that I myself do not understand...."

He emphasizes that inerrancy only applies to the original autograph copy as written in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek:
"For I confess to your Charity that I have learned to yield this respect and honour only to the canonical books of Scripture: of THESE ALONE do I most firmly believe that the authors were COMPLETELY FREE FROM ERROR. And if in these writings I am perplexed by anything which appears to me opposed to truth, I do not hesitate to suppose that either the manuscript is faulty, or the translator has not caught the meaning of what was said, or I myself have failed to understand it."

Augustine, De Unitate Ecclesiae, 10.

Neither dare one agree with catholic bishops if by chance they err in anything, but the result that their opinion is against the canonical Scriptures of God.

For the reasonings of any men whatsoever, even though THEY BE Catholics, and of high reputation, are NOT TO BE TREATED BY US in the same way as the canonical Scriptures are treated. We are at liberty, without doing any violence to the respect which these men deserve, to condemn and REJECT ANYTHING in their writings, if perchance we shall find that they have entertained opinions differing from that which others or we ourselves have, by the divine help, discovered to be the truth. I deal thus with the writings of others, and I wish my intelligent readers to deal thus with mine.
NPNF1, Vol.I, Augustin, Letters of St. Augustine, Letter 148, Section 15.

----------
Now, the other side:

Fr. R.E. Brown, for example, writes of Vatican II:
"In this long journey of thought the concept of inerrancy was not rejected but was seriously modified to fit the evidence of biblical criticism which showed that the Bible was not inerrant in questions of science, of history, and even of time-conditioned religious beliefs."

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#466418 Jul 27, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations and Gods blessings to both of you! Disagreement between us does not, in any way, hinder the fact that we are all created by Almighty God HIMSELF, in HIS likeness and image to worship, praise, reverence and serve HIM Our Creator!!
Does were crested by God?? NOT evolved
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466419 Jul 27, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
<quoted text>Claims ^^ Zero evidence ^^
Come on man... Philip Schaff? A 19th century Protestant theologian??

Why on Earth would you think this man's opinion on Christianity is authoritative?

These ancient Protestant Propaganda leaflets you guys dig up to present your arguments are ridiculous. This man is a nobody. He was just another paper pope who took it upon himself to read and interpret sacred scripture and form his own Christianity.

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466420 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
This argument by Philip is incredibly stupid. He's trying to imply a contradicting belief between these early Christians on the reality of the Eucharist.
Classic propaganda you got there!
In the Catholic Encyclopedia’s article on the “sacrifice of the mass,” it says this:“Passing over the teaching of the Alexandrine Clement and Origen, whose love of allegory, together with the restrictions of the Disciplina Arcani [Latin term meaning discipline of the secret], involved their writings in mystic obscurity…”

Ummmm You were saying.....?

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466421 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like you're set in your beliefs. There is nothin that will sway your mind.
The Earth is 5,000 yrs old. The Bible fell from the sky; The Apostles passed it out without explaining the contents and Christ wanted people people like you to determine Christianity.
You've inserted yourself as the authority on His Ministry and conveyer of truth. Do not puff your chest out too much...
I have been sourcing this whole time, while you trash talk against what I believe, yet, not supporting your side. Go figure...

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466422 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on man... Philip Schaff? A 19th century Protestant theologian??
Why on Earth would you think this man's opinion on Christianity is authoritative?
These ancient Protestant Propaganda leaflets you guys dig up to present your arguments are ridiculous. This man is a nobody. He was just another paper pope who took it upon himself to read and interpret sacred scripture and form his own Christianity.
In the Catholic Encyclopedia’s article on the “sacrifice of the mass,” it says this:“Passing over the teaching of the Alexandrine Clement and Origen, whose love of allegory, together with the restrictions of the Disciplina Arcani [Latin term meaning discipline of the secret], involved their writings in mystic obscurity…”

Ummm....you were saying?
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#466423 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
SO its ok for Catholics to interpret even Jesus word ..how they feel like it .
But the can say we are wrong in our interpretation .
I thought that is what the Pope is for and all the VATIcan Counsel on Faith ..to say what REAL TRUTH OF SCRIPTURE is .
What do you know TRUTH IS CHANGEABLE ..just like scientific theories are ..
Who knew???
RoSesz:

Lol....So what is the point of reading scripture, if you can't interpret what you are reading?(This is a borderline pietist's view. By that I mean, one is not supposed to use one's brain, even though God gave us one!)

Or it is like saying, you can only read the Bible one letter at a time, and try and figure out if each letter means something?

Like I have tried to remind people before, Jesus is not the letters, the words, the sentences, the books of the Bible, not even the Bible itself. No need to worship the Bible. In fact that is idolatry.

Rather it is better to worship Jesus, who is the Truth, the Way, and the Life....

Stay focused on Jesus, not what people think about him, or interpret from the Bible....

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466424 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on man... Philip Schaff? A 19th century Protestant theologian??
Why on Earth would you think this man's opinion on Christianity is authoritative?
These ancient Protestant Propaganda leaflets you guys dig up to present your arguments are ridiculous. This man is a nobody. He was just another paper pope who took it upon himself to read and interpret sacred scripture and form his own Christianity.
Philip Schaff was not just a "theologian", but a well noted "historian". Anyone can google to find this out. You will trash talk at every turn, because I am slam dunking you on "history", and yes, that is the truth of the matter. I have been sourcing, and you have been trash talking.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#466425 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
In the other video you posted earlier.
Do you think Netanyahu Will give the temple mount yo the Vatican
And who I'd the guy witH the dog next to Jesus picture.
I did answer you question about Netanyahu, I have to go back and look at the picture.
everyone has set a time table but we must remember God has His own and that is the one that matters.
Yes I think it might be possible Netanyahu will give the temple mount to the Vatican.
But remember Israel belongs to God. Jerusalem is the city of our Great King Jesus.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466426 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I was asking about Clays posts
Not trying to play games .
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Now Jesus mentions Jonah and the whale ..so it's ok by the CC to NOT believe this .JESUS was mistaken???
You all retelling me the Catholic Church is the true Church ..has all knowledge .
Well neither evolution or saying Jonah was a character to believe it not believe played ANY PART IN MY CATHOLIC EDUCATION.
Sorry but I'll take the bible which pinball act like only you all know
Over changing science theories any day .
GOD created Adam..he did not come from an ape ancestor .
There is no evidence anywhere for evolution from one species to another
Hey now, I already clarified that Jonah wasn't a Character. I know you read clarification, there is no need to continue implying we believe it. Jonah was a real person, that's what I said.

The fact that Jesus merely 'mentions' Jonah and the Whale, does not mean it was a factual historical event. He was drawing the comparison of the Son of Man rising after three days and Jonah spending three days in the whale.

Also, Rose, do you believe Dinosaurs are 6,000 yrs old?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#466427 Jul 27, 2013
I love the way that the wisdom of the Bible laughs at the 'wisdom' of men!

Jonah seemed a bit far out...but Jesus authenticated it, so that was enough for me.

Then I looked a little deeper:

Jonah says that he went down to the bottom of the mountains.(Only in recent years have men discovered that there are mountains under the sea.)

Jonah was so deep in the sea that the compression of it would have killed him. That compression causes the 'bends' which will kill the man as he rises out of the compression.

Scientists today have made decompression chambers.
These are sent into the depths to rescue divers...or divers simply go down into the depths inside of the 'machine'. It returns slowly to the surface, allowing the man's body to 'decompress'.

God prepared a great fish...Jesus called it a whale...to 'catch' Jonah. It was a specially ordered 'decompression chamber', which brought Jonah safely back to the surface.

Read the Bible more carefully. You will find the truth if you search IT, rather than listen to 'the wisdom of man'.

KayMarie

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466428 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey now, I already clarified that Jonah wasn't a Character. I know you read clarification, there is no need to continue implying we believe it. Jonah was a real person, that's what I said.
The fact that Jesus merely 'mentions' Jonah and the Whale, does not mean it was a factual historical event. He was drawing the comparison of the Son of Man rising after three days and Jonah spending three days in the whale.
Also, Rose, do you believe Dinosaurs are 6,000 yrs old?
"Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But He answered and said unto them, an evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: FOR AS Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; SO SHALL the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (Matthew 12:38-40)."

Question: Do you think "the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth"?

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#466429 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Does were crested by God?? NOT evolved
SO we were CREATED BY GOD ..Not evolved .
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466430 Jul 27, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
Augustine of Hippo (354-430 CE): He supported absolute inerrancy in a letter to St. Jerome. He wrote:
"On my own part I confess to your charity that it is only to those books of Scripture which are now called canonical that I have learned to pay such honor and reverence as to believe most firmly that none of their writers has fallen into any error. And if in these books I meet anything which seems contrary to truth, I shall not hesitate to conclude either that the text is faulty, or that the translator has not expressed the meaning of the passage, or that I myself do not understand...."
He emphasizes that inerrancy only applies to the original autograph copy as written in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek:
"For I confess to your Charity that I have learned to yield this respect and honour only to the canonical books of Scripture: of THESE ALONE do I most firmly believe that the authors were COMPLETELY FREE FROM ERROR. And if in these writings I am perplexed by anything which appears to me opposed to truth, I do not hesitate to suppose that either the manuscript is faulty, or the translator has not caught the meaning of what was said, or I myself have failed to understand it."
Augustine, De Unitate Ecclesiae, 10.
Neither dare one agree with catholic bishops if by chance they err in anything, but the result that their opinion is against the canonical Scriptures of God.
For the reasonings of any men whatsoever, even though THEY BE Catholics, and of high reputation, are NOT TO BE TREATED BY US in the same way as the canonical Scriptures are treated. We are at liberty, without doing any violence to the respect which these men deserve, to condemn and REJECT ANYTHING in their writings, if perchance we shall find that they have entertained opinions differing from that which others or we ourselves have, by the divine help, discovered to be the truth. I deal thus with the writings of others, and I wish my intelligent readers to deal thus with mine.
NPNF1, Vol.I, Augustin, Letters of St. Augustine, Letter 148, Section 15.
----------
Now, the other side:
Fr. R.E. Brown, for example, writes of Vatican II:
"In this long journey of thought the concept of inerrancy was not rejected but was seriously modified to fit the evidence of biblical criticism which showed that the Bible was not inerrant in questions of science, of history, and even of time-conditioned religious beliefs."
Ok, lets cut to the chase. As I told you earlier, I swear before God that not ONE of these essays has ever checked out. Is there a sentence or two that are truthful? Yes. But usually that's where it ends.

What is your agenda for posting these things? What message are you trying to imply?

Are you trying to paint the Catholic Church as a chaotic free-for-all?
Are you trying to draw attention away from the fact that the born agains on this thread (WHO DO CLAIM TO BE LED TO BIBLICAL TRUTH BY THE HOLY SPIRIT) are in fact, in a theological mess.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#466431 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>

Sorry but I'll take the bible which pinball act like only you all know
I'll take the TRUE INTERPRETATION of the Bible, from the Early Church Fathers (who put the Canon of Scripture together), as it is CORRECTLY INTERPRETED in and through the teachings of the Catholic Church---who gave us the bible in 382,393, and 397AAD.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#466432 Jul 27, 2013
who="Seraphima"Jethr o, You are always in mine and nicks prayers! It is a blessing that they found this so early and that it is so small.Do not give up and keep your spirits high.It makes a huge difference! We are with you and with God all things are possiable!!!God Bless You!
**********

Us too. We will pray.

KayMarie
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#466433 Jul 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Does were crested by God?? NOT evolved
Yes!! by Creation!!!---- NOT----evolution!!!

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466434 Jul 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, lets cut to the chase. As I told you earlier, I swear before God that not ONE of these essays has ever checked out. Is there a sentence or two that are truthful? Yes. But usually that's where it ends.
What is your agenda for posting these things? What message are you trying to imply?
Are you trying to paint the Catholic Church as a chaotic free-for-all?
Are you trying to draw attention away from the fact that the born agains on this thread (WHO DO CLAIM TO BE LED TO BIBLICAL TRUTH BY THE HOLY SPIRIT) are in fact, in a theological mess.
I have personally debated Catholic priest that says VII developed, and that Scripture was errant(except in faith and morals).

I quoted Augustine, and I have quoted others. Case in point, a few discussions are going on now.

1. Transubstantiation
2. Papal Supremacy
3. Inerrancy vs errancy

I have sourced on every turn. You can claim what you will, but have done ZERO sourcing to validate your claims here. That should be a red flag for you.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#466435 Jul 27, 2013
who="hojo"
Congratulations and Gods blessings to both of you! Disagreement between us does not, in any way, hinder the fact that we are all created by Almighty God HIMSELF, in HIS likeness and image to worship, praise, reverence and serve HIM Our Creator!!
**********

Thank you.

KayMarie and Gif

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466436 Jul 27, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take the TRUE INTERPRETATION of the Bible, from the Early Church Fathers (who put the Canon of Scripture together), as it is CORRECTLY INTERPRETED in and through the teachings of the Catholic Church---who gave us the bible in 382,393, and 397AAD.
Please name them, per your statement here, without going into tangents. Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Buck Crick 71,069
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 min ChristineM 445,537
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 19 min Buck Crick 275
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 32 min DENG 39,178
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 36 min Gabriel 974,846
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 38 min andet1987 3,046
UK Phone Numbers for Fun 59 min Amazingfunlad 26
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 283,030
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 9 hr gundee123 5,059
More from around the web