Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 568,476
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

“Free gift means FREE”

Since: Jan 09

Chicagoland

#465954 Jul 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are in religion, you have the opinion that your religion has improved you a step higher than others.
People don't belong to religions unless it makes them feel superior in their journey to other poor dumb uninitiated slobs.
Do you think the dalai lama believes that HE is one of those "untouchables" and that the supposed untouchables are "enlightened?"
Get real!
It's not religion that the devout adherers yearn to save. It's their own BRAND of religion that they hold dear to their selves that they believe needs to be protected and nurtured for upcoming generations.
I guess that depends on "which" "kind" of "religion" you speak of! If you mean , by saying, which denomination, then perhaps that can be true for "some", but, if you mean by "religion", as it is defined in God's holy word, then you must reexamine your preconceived ideas about others, when you judge their motives.

James 1:26-27

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#465955 Jul 26, 2013
Many women had nervous breakdowns, having far too much expected of them.

Abortion seemed the only answer to their dilemmas.

And in today's living conditions, issues have not become simple, as sometimes it take two parents working just to try to make ends meet.

And I suggest you keep in mind that many women sitting in churches have slipped off to abortion clinics and landed back in their pews in churches as though nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

Humans are mortal animals and will do whatever is necessary to survive.

I hope abortion clinics will always be open to try to save as many women as possible.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#465956 Jul 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not changing anything. The parents heard the Gospel, and at their child's baptism, they too make a vow to raise that child according to the Gospel. The parents are responsible to bring the Baptized child up within the covenant of the family as taught by the Apostles.
That child will not only HEAR the Gospel, they'll experience the Gospel; partake in it.
All others who were unfortunate enough to be brought up in broken homes and could not have experienced this plan- through no fault of their own - need to get Baptized as soon as possible after hearing the Gospel.
Now Chuck, I can show you that this was Christian teachings 275 yrs before the Roman Empire infiltrated the Church (as you claim).
So did Christianity get messed up as soon as Christians began Baptizing infants?
Y0U ASKED

So did Christianity get messed up as soon as Christians began Baptizing infants?
___

BELOW IS WHAT MESSED UP YOUR PAGAN CHURCH

ROMAN CATHOLIC INVENTIONS
1. Presbyters first called priests by Lucian 2nd c.

2. Sacerdotal mass instituted by Cyprian 3rd c.

3. Prayers for the dead A.D. 300

4. Making the sign of the cross A.D. 300

5. Wax candles A.D. 320
6. Veneration of angels, dead saints, and images A.D. 375

7. Mass became a daily ritual A.D. 394

8. Beginning of exaltation of Mary, term "Mother of God"
first applied to her by Council of Ephesus A.D. 431

9. Priests began to wear special clothing A.D. 500

10. Extreme Unction (Rite of Healing) A.D. 526

11. The doctrine of Purgatory by Gregory I A.D. 593
12. Latin used in worship A.D. 600

13. Prayers offered to Mary, dead saints and angels A.D. 600

14. First man to be proclaimed Pope (Boniface III) A.D. 610

15. Kissing the Pope's feet A.D. 709

16. Temporal power of Popes, conferred by Pepon, King of the Franks A.D. 750

17. Veneration of cross, images, relics authorized A.D. 786

18. Holy water, mixed with pinch of salt, chrism, and blessed by a priest A.D.850

19. Veneration of St. Joseph A.D. 890

20. College of Cardinals begun A.D. 927

21. Baptism of bells instituted by Pope John XIII A.D. 965
22. Canonization of dead saints by Pope John XV A.D. 995

23. Fasting on Fridays and Lent A.D. 998

24. The Mass developed gradually as a sacrifice, attendance made obligatory 11th
c.

25. Celibacy of priests declared A.D. 1079
26. Rosary adopted (pagan) by Peter the Hermit A.D. 1090

27. The Inquisition instituted by Council of Verona A.D. 1184

28. Sale of indulgences A.D. 1190

29. Seven Sacraments, defined by Peter Lombard 12th c.

30. Transubstantiation, defined by Innocent III A.D. 1215

31. Auricular confession (Rite of reconciliation) of sins to a priest instead of God, instituted by Innocent III A.D. 1215

32. Adoration of the wafer (called the Host), decreed by Pope Honorius III A.D.

33. Scapular invented by Simon Stock of England A.D. 1251

34. The cup forbidden to the laity at communion by Council of Constance A.D.

35. Purgatory proclaimed as a dogma by the Council of Florence in A.D. 1439

36. Tradition declared of equal authority with the Bible by the Council of Trent
A.D. 1545

37. Apocryphal books are added to the Bible by the Council of Trent A.D. 1546

38. Creed of Pope Pius IV imposed as the official creed in place of the original
Apostolic Creed A.D. 1560

39. Immaculate Conception of Mary (not virgin birth) proclaimed by Pope Pius IX
A.D. 1854

40. Syllabus of Errors proclaimed by Pope Pius IX and ratified by the Vatican
Council; condemned freedom of religion, conscience, speech, press and scientific
discoveries which are disapproved by the Roman Church; asserted the Pope's
temporal authority over all civil rulers A.D. 1864

41. Infallibility of the Pope in matters of faith and morals proclaimed by the
Vatican Council A.D. 1870

42. Assumption of Mary proclaimed by Pius XII A.D. 1950

43. Mary proclaimed the "Mother of the Church" by Pope Paul VI

Prince George, Canada

#465957 Jul 26, 2013
Osas7 wrote:
<quoted text>I guess that depends on "which" "kind" of "religion" you speak of! If you mean , by saying, which denomination, then perhaps that can be true for "some", but, if you mean by "religion", as it is defined in God's holy word, then you must reexamine your preconceived ideas about others, when you judge their motives.
James 1:26-27
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
Christianity might be the religion one which you place high value ... but it is simply one religion among many. And considering that Christianity is split into approximately 38,000 denominations, all bragging to know the one and only truth ... I suggest you don't take your self and your belief to be the be-all and end-all for the whole of humanity, as that is just simplified baffle gas.

I suggest you let the air out of your "tires."

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#465958 Jul 26, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Demon Faith and the Misuse of James 2:19
http://www.gracelife.org/resources/gracenotes ...
Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Thanks...that supports the verse I quoted on demons believing: Mt 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
Are these not your words:At the moment of belief. From those verses...why can you not answer my question?? "Scripture shows these demons had belief...does it not?????"
You should know "why" I quoted James 2:19(in the first place), which was to identify with your post that wrote about demons believing. THEN, when I quoted gracelife.org , it was to show YOU, that the "kind" of believing of the demons, is NOT the same as the "kind" of believing of believers. Yes, both believe, but, WHAT are they believing? That is the issue here, something you keep derailing, and then ranting in another direction, to make it "seem" as if you are onto something when responding to me, when in fact, you have zilch.

Case in point, now pay attention here:
1. The demons believe in "monotheism"(which doesn't save)
2. Believers believe on Jesus(the object of their faith), to make payment for the penalty of their sins. Monotheism does not accomplish that.
3. Jesus is Savior, and monotheism just says there is one God.

You can keep on ranting about "belief", but until you surrender to the facts, that "belief" in ______ makes a world of difference here.

One more example:
John 11:25-27

25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes IN ME will live, even though he dies; 26 and whoever lives and believes IN ME will never die. Do you believe this?" 27 "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that YOU ARE the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

Notice here, who is believing believed "in". The word "you are" denote the object of faith here. Not monotheism.

#465959 Jul 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not changing anything. The parents heard the Gospel, and at their child's baptism, they too make a vow to raise that child according to the Gospel. The parents are responsible to bring the Baptized child up within the covenant of the family as taught by the Apostles.
That child will not only HEAR the Gospel, they'll experience the Gospel; partake in it.
All others who were unfortunate enough to be brought up in broken homes and could not have experienced this plan- through no fault of their own - need to get Baptized as soon as possible after hearing the Gospel.
Now Chuck, I can show you that this was Christian teachings 275 yrs before the Roman Empire infiltrated the Church (as you claim).
~~~
Y0U ASKED

___

5. Wax candles A.D. 320

18. Holy water, mixed with pinch of salt, chrism, and blessed by a priest A.D.850

24. The Mass developed gradually as a sacrifice, attendance made obligatory 11th
c.

31. Auricular confession (Rite of reconciliation) of sins to a priest instead of God, instituted by Innocent III A.D. 1215

36. Tradition declared of equal authority with the Bible by the Council of Trent
A.D. 1545

38. Creed of Pope Pius IV imposed as the official creed in place of the original

A.D. 1854

Council; condemned freedom of religion, conscience, speech, press and scientific

Prince George, Canada

#465960 Jul 26, 2013
Sometimes humor comes wrapped in strange forms.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

From the book,A History of Christianity, edited by Clyde L. Manschreck,(volume 2) comes the following.

In one of our American communities, a congregation called itself The Church of God. They could not agree among themselves and having split asunder, the split called itself, The True Church of God. They, in turn divided and the new group called itself The Only True Church of God.

#465961 Jul 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Y0U ASKED
___
5. Wax candles A.D. 320
c.
A.D. 1545
A.D. 1854
~~~

THE BIBLE SAYS

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

WILL YOU KINDLY GIVE ME BOOK CHAPTER AND VERSES FOR THE ABOVE FROM THE WORD OF GOD?

DNF

““Be guided by principles..."”

Since: Apr 07

Baltimore

#465962 Jul 26, 2013
Simple wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect. Few protestant religions baptize infants.
You are mistaken.

"The two most important rites in Protestant churches are the two sacraments: baptism and the Lord's Supper. Many of the most contentious theological issues in Protestantism have centered on or been related to the understanding of these sacraments (or ordinances), which have divided not only Protestants from Roman Catholics, but Protestantism into its incredible variety."

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Protestantism/...

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#465963 Jul 26, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting
IMO.the books are not needed for salvation ..May be interesting reading(just got them FREE on my kindle) And will look at them when I get time :)
BY THE WAY..sent you a message on PM ....appreciate your posts
Yeah, very interesting indeed. Here's the point of my quote:
In the early years of Christianity, many church writers acknowledged a "two-fold Canon". One canon was inspired by God, and was used for "doctrine", whereas the other canon, was not inspired by God, but was used for "good spiritual reading and edification". The canon that is not inspired, is not to be used to support "doctrine". The quote I gave, comes from a Catholic historian, whom acknowledged this fact, and even pointed out, that the ones most educated in this matter, lost to votes of the others. Sad, right?

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#465964 Jul 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity might be the religion one which you place high value ... but it is simply one religion among many. And considering that Christianity is split into approximately 38,000 denominations, all bragging to know the one and only truth ... I suggest you don't take your self and your belief to be the be-all and end-all for the whole of humanity, as that is just simplified baffle gas.
I suggest you let the air out of your "tires."
Can you support your view of 38k denominations, which was like 30k before, according to Barrett's work, which if you really understood what was said on the matter, the number is not even close to that, but much much lower. Bring the facts, and put aside your emotions and opinions. Thanks

DNF

Baltimore

#465965 Jul 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>

The Worlds Sixteen Crucified Saviors Christianity before Christ, by Kersey Graves first published in 1875.
All History ignores Him.
Kersey Graves and The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors (2003)
Richard Carrier
[Editor's note: This is a conflation of three responses which were made by Richard Carrier to feedback and e-mail involving questions about the scholarhip of Kersey Graves, in particular, and about scholarship, in general, in the subject area about which Graves concerned himself in The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors.]
The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Or Christianity Before Christ is unreliable, but no comprehensive critique exists. Most scholars immediately recognize many of his findings as unsupported and dismiss Graves as useless. After all, a scholar who rarely cites a source isn't useful to have as a reference even if he is right. For examples of specific problems, however, see Hare Jesus: Christianity's Hindu Heritage, and some generally poor but not always incorrect Christian rebuttals. A very helpful discussion of related methodological problems by renowned scholar Bruce Metzger is also well worth reading ("Methodology in the Study of the Mystery Religions and Early Christianity" 2002). In general, even when the evidence is real, it often only appears many years after Christianity began, and thus might be evidence of diffusion in the other direction. Another typical problem is that Graves draws far too much from what often amounts to rather vague evidence. In general, there are ten kinds of problems that crop up in Graves' work here and there:
Graves often does not distinguish his opinions and theories from what his sources and evidence actually state.
Graves often omits important sources and evidence.
Graves often mistreats in a biased or anachronistic way the sources he does use.
Graves occasionally relies on suspect sources.
Graves does little or no source analysis or formal textual criticism.
Graves' work is totally uninformed by modern social history (a field that did not begin to be formally pursued until after World War II, i.e., after Graves died).
Graves' conclusions and theories often far exceed what the evidence justifies, and he treats both speculations and sound theories as of equal value.
Graves often ignores important questions of chronology and the actual order of plausible historical influence, and completely disregards the methodological problems this creates.
Graves' work lacks all humility, which is unconscionable given the great uncertainties that surround the sketchy material he had to work with.
Graves' scholarship is obsolete, having been vastly improved upon by new methods, materials, discoveries, and textual criticism in the century since he worked. In fact, almost every historical work written before 1950 is regarded as outdated and untrustworthy by historians today.
All this is not to say Graves didn't have some things right. But you will never be able to tell what he has right from what he has wrong without totally redoing all his research and beyond, which makes him utterly useless to historians as a source.
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richar...
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#465966 Jul 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not changing anything. The parents heard the Gospel, and at their child's baptism, they too make a vow to raise that child according to the Gospel.
Nope sorry Clay. That's not what you said.

The CC teaches that Baptism is necessary. But of course, one has to first hear the Gospel so they can freely make a decision.

*ONE HAS TO FIRST HEAR THE GOSPEL SO THEY CAN FREELY MAKE A DECISION*

- your words Clay

Prince George, Canada

#465967 Jul 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
If a god loves you (a Protestant) and disowns Catholics, he is one messed up ex-Jewish god!

:)

God talking to his self ... "Well, let's see now ... I first committed to love only the Jews ... but then the Catholics talked me into loving only them. But now KayMarie is even more persuasive than were those Catholics, so I guess I will flatter KayMarie as being the special one of the day. I wish they would all leave me alone to love who I want to love."

:)
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#465968 Jul 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no medical experience.
I know...thanks.

No need to go off on rabbit trials about monkeys and religion.

DNF

Baltimore

#465969 Jul 26, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
What pray tell does that have to do with the price of ice in Alaska!!!!??????
Well since the RCC seems to ignore this passage and many others, IMO it was relevant.

Are you claiming the RCC follows all of the Bible as it appears today in it's multiple versions?

I'm simply pointing out how little the so called christians who are anti gay put into practice the messages of Luke 10:25-37 or Matt. 25-31-46.

Silly me I figured if the thread is about religion then quoting the source of the religion would be acceptable to you. My mistake.

DNF

Baltimore

#465970 Jul 26, 2013
Simple wrote:
<quoted text>
There will be no such person.
So you don't think even Jesus was without sin.

Got it.

Prince George, Canada

#465971 Jul 26, 2013
Rumor has it that KayMarie and the god are engaged to be married. However god is a little worried that KayMarie will try to take over his kingdom.

It's not about sex or anything of that vile nature. It's just a matter of "principle."

The wedding is scheduled at KayMarie's insistence, and rumor has it that god is now in hiding.

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#465972 Jul 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not familiar with premillenialism or what it has to do with official Church teachings. I'll read up on it later.
I appreciate your respective arguments though. Some of your teammates could learn a a little from this. I also respect your love for Christ and devotion to Sacred Scriptures.
Example ^^^^ Now, this is the kind of communication I long for. Thanks so much.

To respond to "Church teachings":
1. Your Church, is Amillenial. Read here on the subject(a brief explaination): http://www.theopedia.com/Amillennialism

2. My point about Irenaeus and Justin Martyr, was that they were Premillenial. See here for brief explanation: http://www.theopedia.com/Premillennialism

3. You said something like, that the early writers/church fathers were taught by Christ and the Apostles. I said, if I follow your logic, then why are you not Premill(when your church is Amill)?

Thanks again for you kind words.

DNF

Baltimore

#465973 Jul 26, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Churches teaching on faith and morals has "always" been manifested, upheld and proclaimed in Jesus Christ, in and through HIS One True Apostolic Catholic Church........ Reverence, commitment and dedication has (also) "always" been the cornerstone and the vine of the Catholic Church..... Just because some of its members have "gone astray" by their (inappropriate)sinful CONDUCT, doesn't change the fact that the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE has, is and will always (as it has for over 2000 years) be grounded and taught in Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church. Jesus continues to be the "way-the truth-and the life" of the Catholic Faith and the Catholic Church!!!!
Too bad that when it comes to actually LIVING main passages the RCC fails so miserably.

Matt. 25-31-46 doesn't have a get out of jail free card for bigots, homophobes or those who use Jesus and God as weapons against their brothers and sisters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Rick in Kansas 267,560
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min waaasssuuup 796,397
The movements of O.J. Simpson on the night of J... 10 min Senecus 10
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 14 min trifecta1 607,253
sexting (guys only) (Jul '12) 28 min girls united states 232
Super Bowl 49 Preview 30 min mwk89 1
Is Wicca a religion or an Occult? 38 min Aiesha 22
Scientific proof for God's existence 39 min PELE78 623
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 12 hr Ntakudyaunya 12
More from around the web