Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 690621 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Simple

Chicago, IL

#465811 Jul 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is what the early Church taught, before the pope Constantine corrupted it...
"It is fitting then, to not only be called Christians, but to be so in reality. Some indeed give one the title of Bishop, but do all things without him. Now such persons it seems to me, are not possessed of a good conscience, seeing they are not steadfastly gathered together according to the commandment"
"obey the Bishop and the Presbyters. with an undivided mind; breaking one and the same bread, which its the medicine of immortality and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but that we live forever in Jesus Christ"
"Wherever the Bishop appears there let the people be, as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church"
"Let us be careful to not set us up in opposition to the Bishop, in order that we may subject to God"
*Ignatius of Antioch, Bishop and Disciple of the Apostle John.
www.calledtocommunion.com
So, did Constantine mess up Christianity or did Ignatius?
Both played a part in its corruption. On another note, it has been said without Constantine Christianity would have withered on the vine. If this is the case it is not from God.
Simple

Chicago, IL

#465812 Jul 25, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
When a person dies and has not committed any sin...none..zilch. where will his soul spend eternity????
There will be no such person.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#465813 Jul 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Not from my opinion.
At one time you were an Atheist that believed all religion was bunk.
Now you are a Catholic and believe that you will go to heaven and others will go to hell.
And by so-doing, you are certain you have UP-graded your self.
I believe you should think again.
June:

Lol....And I already stated that I am prone to overthinking, and you believe I should think again...?

I am always reconsidering, so that I may increase my understanding. Although I have gone up many blind alleyways, and must backtrack to get on in my journey through life.

I do not consider my search through Atheism an entire loss. In a way, I consider it a part of searching for an unbiased view. But more or less, each person comes trying to reinforce their world-view with pre-suppositions..., even the Atheist, and Agnostic.

What is perplexing to me is that most people do not take note of the zeitgeist....I guess they just don't take the time?
hojo

Chaska, MN

#465814 Jul 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I BELIevE you hojo.
The thing is sadly over the centuries Some of this devotion was lost amid politics ..power ..the CHU R CH itself and proclamations and influence in the things if the world..And the world's influence on it.
Made it much greater in the EIGHTIES R OF than in its,Spirit and the WORD.
WHEN corrupt men have influence in God's church it becomes as the TEMPLE.
IMO.
When men led by God pointed these deviations out..they were labelled heretics and excommunicated.
The inquisitors SHOUKD have been the ones excommunicated ..
The corrupt in the very ..should have been also.
Unholy men should never HAVR Bern in Peter's CHair.
A whole lot if deviation frontage original message you cited.
I don't think z Luther s started out to make a,NEW CHURCH.
HE and the others wanted the CHURVH they loved yo come back to Christ instead if politics .
Your church needed the Reformers ..But it took a long time for their influence to be felt in your CHURCH .
VATICAN 2 was,to be a,huge st e p in that reconciliation.
But tiresome I've seen post Herr ..it's message plus those of Pope John Paul ..fell on deaf ears
Just my opinion...
The Catholic Churches teaching on faith and morals has "always" been manifested, upheld and proclaimed in Jesus Christ, in and through HIS One True Apostolic Catholic Church........ Reverence, commitment and dedication has (also) "always" been the cornerstone and the vine of the Catholic Church..... Just because some of its members have "gone astray" by their (inappropriate)sinful CONDUCT, doesn't change the fact that the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE has, is and will always (as it has for over 2000 years) be grounded and taught in Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church. Jesus continues to be the "way-the truth-and the life" of the Catholic Faith and the Catholic Church!!!!
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#465815 Jul 25, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>========
You said " We are experiencing God in ways its hard to conceptualize and even more difficult to put into words"
A very Orthodox Truth.
Herme:

I am drawn through the mystics, to the Truth....

To see through ritual is a grace.

I may be more Orthodox...(smiles) in my spirituality, than a RC.(Boy is that gonna make people wonder?) I see the need while on earth for a political center, but also spiritual freedom.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Kitwanga, Canada

#465816 Jul 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is what the early Church taught, before the pope Constantine corrupted it...
Constantine was never a pope. He was a Roman emperor who in order to try to pull the squabbling religious factions together under one authority handed the power of all religion over TO "bishops" of Rome.

Even to this day the pope is called the "bishop of Rome."

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Bishops of Rome under Constantine I

Constantine I's relationship with the four Bishops of Rome during his reign is an important component of the history of the Papacy, and more generally the history of the Catholic Church.

The "Donation of Constantine", an 8th-century forgery used to enhance the prestige and authority of popes, places the pope more centrally in the narrative of Constantinian Christianity. The legend of the Donation claims that Constantine offered his crown to Sylvester I (314-335), and even that Sylvester baptized Constantine. In reality, Constantine was baptized (nearing his death in May 337) by Eusebius of Nicomedia, who, unlike the pope, was an Arian bishop. Sylvester was succeeded by Mark (336) and Julius I (337-352) during the life of Constantine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishops_of_Rome_...

Killing in "god's" name was their main aim.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465817 Jul 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
Lol....And I already stated that I am prone to overthinking, and you believe I should think again...?
You stopped thinking beyond your Catholic religion when you re-entered it with the belief that "What the heck ... it offers me salvation while others go to hell, so I'll just stay right here and dwell in the mushiest scriptures that I LOVE the best ... especially the part about wonderful, special ME being chosen by Jesus to dwell forever with him in eternal bliss."

YUCK!!!

You are as close to brain-dead as it gets without somebody pulling the plug.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465818 Jul 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not consider my search through Atheism an entire loss.
I guess NOT!
>>>>>>> >>>>>

Ancient times

Those labeled as atheist, which included early Christians and Muslims, were as a result targeted for legal persecution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_a ...
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#465819 Jul 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
The fact is, "I don't know" if awareness continues after the cells in my brain die.
If that is not a sufficient "answer" for you, then I suggest you tell us exactly what a god fed into your brain so that we can get on the right path and follow you home.
Ignoramus!
June:

To say, "I don't know.", is a sufficient answer for you...?

To me, what you are saying is like this, " I want to go to the store, but I don't know where it is, so I will keep roaming around until I run out of gas, whether I find the store or not."

To put as the foundation of an argument that " I don't know.", does that mean you reject the knowledge, and/or ability to know?

It seems more likely that you postulate, "I don't know.", and then support the postulate with ignorance(forgive the word)?

Could you clarify?
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465820 Jul 25, 2013
So if this St. Peter existed as first pope, he would have been known as the "bishop of Rome.

My guess is Peter never was a pope because never even existed.

Observe the following lie ... one among many.

The idea that Jesus would have changed a Jewish name to "sound" more Christian, which in turn whitewashed the name of any its Jewish sound, is another slight of pen in hand by the Catholics.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Of all the disciples called by the Lord Jesus in the gospels, probably the one we can most readily identify with is Peter. Simon Barjona as he was known before the Lord changed his name to Peter.

http://www.biblestudyradio.org/...
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465821 Jul 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
To say, "I don't know.", is a sufficient answer for you...?
Where is YOUR answer "wise guy?"

You tell me if you can prove that awareness continues after the brain-cells in your body all die???

I'll be waiting for your PROOF, not your "flaky opinion."
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#465822 Jul 25, 2013
Simple wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect. Few protestant religions baptize infants.
No I'm not incorrect. I guess the definition of 'Protestant' should be examined. The Protesters who separated from the Catholic Church, Lutherans, Methodist and Anglicans, baptize infants.
I don't think 'Bible believing evangelical born agains' view themselves as Protestants. They say there IS NO Catholic Church. Or the Roman Empire hijacked it and formed the 'Roman Catholic Church' ie 'The Whore of Babylon'. I don't believe they are Protesting anything. The Bible was given to them I guess. They erased the previous 1900 yrs of Christianity. Now its just Jesus, the KJV and them!

Still, I think most of Christendom Baptizes infants with water.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#465823 Jul 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You stopped thinking beyond your Catholic religion when you re-entered it with the belief that "What the heck ... it offers me salvation while others go to hell, so I'll just stay right here and dwell in the mushiest scriptures that I LOVE the best ... especially the part about wonderful, special ME being chosen by Jesus to dwell forever with him in eternal bliss."
YUCK!!!
You are as close to brain-dead as it gets without somebody pulling the plug.
June:

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.

If one does not seek Truth, then they will not find It.

The Light shines THROUGH the darkness....
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#465824 Jul 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess NOT!
>>>>>>> >>>>>
Ancient times
Those labeled as atheist, which included early Christians and Muslims, were as a result targeted for legal persecution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_a ...
June:

So professing your faith in Atheism, do you believe you are persecuted for being a Christian?
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465825 Jul 25, 2013
I also don't know if there is or is not a creator, but if one exists it's nothing that I would worship.

I prefer the term "Fear not" to be fitting words in my journey of leaving all religion behind and placing faith in the idea that I can be as kind without religion as I was when I was under the spell OF religion.

It's no wonder so many people in religion went insane. Theologians had them chasing after the supposed better part of their selves that were held captive by supposed gods out THERE somewhere. Religion taught people to hate their own bodies and to despise sex as evil unless it was to bring more sinners into god's world to suffer.

Religion is BUNK.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#465826 Jul 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is YOUR answer "wise guy?"
You tell me if you can prove that awareness continues after the brain-cells in your body all die???
I'll be waiting for your PROOF, not your "flaky opinion."
June:

More or less, proof is anecdotal in nature.

For people considered dead, and then resuscitated, that were aware, and conscious is enough proof for the open-minded.

June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465827 Jul 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
So professing your faith in Atheism, do you believe you are persecuted for being a Christian?
My point was that Christians were also once considered to be Atheists.

If you don't that, it's not my problem.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465828 Jul 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
More or less, proof is anecdotal in nature.
For people considered dead, and then resuscitated, that were aware, and conscious is enough proof for the open-minded.
When the brain-cells are all dead, there is NO resuscitation ... period.

If that were not so there would be NO morgues.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465829 Jul 25, 2013
If all people could be resuscitated, the doctors would never have to say "I'm sorry. We did everything we could to save her/him."

It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.
June VanDerMark

Kitwanga, Canada

#465830 Jul 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.
Especially the belief that YOU are saved and others are only going to be fodder for the Christian-devil's hell.

That's an odd term ... isn't it? But it's the theology. The Christians have their own hell especially set up for those who are not Christian.

Imagine ... preaching love and at the same time insinuating that a god didn't have even enough of a conscience to rid the world of a devil.

Theology is BUNK!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 46 min Paul McCartney is... 659
Poll What's the most exotic/hottest mixed race group? (Jan '13) 1 hr Doctor REALITY 23
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr Quirky 42,522
Are your Topix comments helping...or hurting ot... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 4
Why it's high time to get rid of billionaires 1 hr Paul McCartney is... 65
Am I Starting To Like My Step-Cousin? 2 hr IDontWantThis 1
HOLLYWOOD striving to delete prayer from scripts 3 hr haha 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 hr Aura Mytha 989,879
More from around the web