Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646581 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#464793 Jul 22, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Tit for Tat as long as you post your misleading quotes re Orthodoxy:
Anthony
Matthew Fox (born 1940) is an American priest and theologian.[1] Formerly a member of the Dominican Order within the Roman Catholic Church, he is now a member of the Episcopal Church.
In 1983, Catholic Church leadership began officially reviewing Fox’s teachings and theological divergences. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger – then Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, a Vatican administrative body charged with teaching and defending church doctrine – ordered a panel of Dominican priests and theologians to perform a two-year review of Fox’s writings.
When the initial findings found in Fox’s favor, Cardinal Ratzinger, later to become Pope Benedict XVI, rejected them and ordered a second review which was never undertaken. SOME SCHOLARS SAY THESE TRADITIONS ARE CLOSE TO THOSE THAT WERE FIRST LAID OUT BY JESUS.
AMONG FOX’S MOST CONTROVERSIAL TEACHINGS WAS A BELIEF IN "ORIGINAL BLESSING", WHICH BECAME THE TITLE OF ONE OF HIS MOST POPULAR BOOKS. THE CONCEPT WAS IN DIRECT CONTRAVENTION OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC DOCTRINE THAT PEOPLE ARE BORN INTO "ORIGINAL SIN".
In 1988, Fox wrote a public letter to Cardinal Ratzinger entitled "IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TODAY A DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY?", which was subsequently widely disseminated by the National Catholic
Reporter. Soon after, Cardinal Ratzinger issued an order forbidding Fox to teach or lecture for a year.
In 1993, Fox’s conflicts with Catholic authorities climaxed with his expulsion from the Dominican order for "disobedience", effectively ending his professional relationship with the church and his teaching at its universities.
Cardinal Ratzinger ordered the expulsion after Fox refused to respond to a summons to discuss his writings with his superiors in the Roman Catholic Church.
Men dictating other men on how to believe - "or else".

Self.

Jesus would be soooo proud.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#464794 Jul 22, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I was making fun of you guys. I actually regret it. I never 'danced around while the Christian rock band was jammin'. That's what I see you guys do.
I really don't like to mock peoples worship practices. I'm trying to work on not doing that.
That changes not the truth...

You know as much about salvation as you do brain surgery!!!!!

Which tells me unless something changes in your spiritual life, you will not be with the sheep for eternity!!!!!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#464795 Jul 22, 2013
I am doing this for Anrhony.He wants you to know the Orthodox Church believes the following so that you can hate on us, realizing we are the same as Catholics. Here is the list. Start TURNING ON US AND hating me alone.US.Then maybe Anthony will leave

hmmmmmm let me think

icons
saints
the Eucharist
priests
Theotokos ( Virgin ary) though not as extreme and stay away from the subject of appearance at Medjugory etc
ask the saints to pray for us

Albuquerque, NM

#464796 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting article
Where does the orthodox church stand on where born or preborn babies go
If not baptized...
Do they go t o a LIMBO without Jesus or does He take them as His own
Spirit is already part of the Father. If you have to think that babies and still born babies go somewhere else, I feel sorry for you.

In fact, I pity you to think such awful thoughts.

I guess you don't believe much in the Spirit, huh?

*sighs*

BTW - Self - no religion is required to believe the way you do.

Why would you believe that babies go anywhere but heaven?

*points to the Topix police*
Hey, over here - this one has lost faith in the Father!! Heretic ALERT!!

:o)

Location hidden

#464797 Jul 22, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Men dictating other men on how to believe - "or else".
Self.
Jesus would be soooo proud.
This is the dictatorial monarchy.No wonder Catholics here just basically recite the Catechism.

Albuquerque, NM

#464798 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>Your old ploy- the Pope don't accept him so he doesn't exist..
Hans Kung is brilliant. He was an advisor on Vatican 2 but after went from advisor to not existing because he spoke negatively about the church.So I guess he doent count.
Hey now....Woah Nelly!! Hold the horses!!

Do you rebuke "Anthony and Clay's" belief that the Pope is infallible?

Shame on you!!

Location hidden

#464799 Jul 22, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know the KJV is the one Christ wills?
snipped because I only wish to address this question of yours. even tho I have spoken of this many times, maybe you never read it.

not long after I got Saved, Cathies dad was in the hospital and the Lord woke me up and told me to call her at the Hospital. and when I did, she told me that her dad was in bad shape. when I started to walk out of home, the Lord spoke to me and told me to take my Bible(KJV,of course) and when I walked into the ICU, her dad was having a difficult time. I knelt down and began to pray, and God told me to put one hand on my Bible and the other on him. and then Power like electricity flowed thru me into him. and when I finished Praying, I said these words, "Lord I commend his soul into your hands".

Immediately he began to breath better. and one woman then called me over and told me how he had kept them awake all night. and asked me to pray for her.

thru this Spiritual Experience, I found out the answer that you are seeking. I wouldn't use any other version but that good old KJV that has helped millions get Saved.

Location hidden

#464800 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Hey now....Woah Nelly!! Hold the horses!!
Do you rebuke "Anthony and Clay's" belief that the Pope is infallible?
Shame on you!!
I don.t know how to rebuke. I am rebuke-challenged. Does this mean I get a handicap parking space?

Location hidden

#464801 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>=======
You want to play tit for tat:
The dissident theologian Father Hans Kung has criticized Pope Benedict XVI as isolated and unable to take creative steps to deal with a series of internal church questions, including priestly celibacy and birth control.
Father Kung said the pope's recent lifting of the excommunications of four traditionalist bishops illustrated the pontiff's desire for a smaller and purer church, and his inability to make necessary reforms.
"The church risks becoming a sect. Many Catholics no longer expect anything from this pope. It's very sad," Father Kung said in an interview published by the French newspaper Le Monde Feb. 24.
His remarks drew a sharp comment from the dean of the College of Cardinals, Italian Cardinal Angelo Sodano, who told Vatican Radio he felt "wounded" when he read the interview.
"Fraternal criticism has always been possible in the church, from the times of Sts. Peter and Paul. Bitter criticism, on the other hand, especially when it's so broad, does not contribute to the unity of the church, for which Pope Benedict is working so hard," Cardinal Sodano said.
Like what you're reading? Sign up to receive email alerts from NCR.
Father Kung, who has taught in Germany for decades, has frequently challenged official church positions on papal infallibility, birth control, priestly celibacy and the all-male priesthood. In 1979 the Vatican withdrew permission for him to teach as a Catholic theologian, although it did not restrict his ministry as a Catholic priest.
Father Kung has known Pope Benedict for some 50 years, and the two met in 2005 for what the Vatican described as a "friendly" encounter.
In the interview with Le Monde, Father Kung noted that one of the four traditionalist bishops whose excommunication was lifted by the pope has minimized the Holocaust, provoking widespread criticism. The pope's misjudgment on such an important issue, Father Kung said, reflected his own isolation.
"Benedict XVI has always lived in an ecclesial environment. He has not traveled much. He's always remained closed in the Vatican -- which is quite similar to how the Kremlin was at one time -- where he is safe from criticism," Father Kung said.
In any case, he said, the lifting of the excommunications was not a mistake in communications or tactics, but an error in church governance. He said it was "scandalous" that on the 50th anniversary of the convening of the Second Vatican Council Pope Benedict moved to reintegrate people who were opposed to the council's teachings.
Father Kung said that in his nearly four years in office the pope has shown a lack of pastoral courage and a lack of awareness of the "profound crisis" in the church. He suggested that the pope could make several important gestures:
-- Allow divorced and remarried Catholics to receive Communion in some circumstances.
-- Take steps to "correct" the 1968 encyclical "Humanae Vitae" and allow use of birth control in some cases.
-- Abolish the rule of priestly celibacy in the Latin-rite church.
-- Institute a new way of electing bishops with the involvement of local Catholics.
Father Kung said it would be helpful to call a third Vatican council to deal with these and other issues.
he didn't play your friend for very long. as I suspected.

but hey don't worry, there are plenty of us Protestants that care for you and your wife.

we can agree to disagree but that doesn't mean that we must cruel about it

Albuquerque, NM

#464802 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>this is something we went over with JOHN several years ago. the Septuagint was Corrupted and the romans had to ask the jews to make more CORRECT copies.
the Septuagint even today doesn't agree with the Masoretic text. examine it for your self.http://www.ecmarsh.com/lx x-kjv/genesis/gen_001.htm
and I already showed that the Masoretic and the KJV are almost identical. and the link that I provided stated that the Scrolls were aligned with the Masoretic since Jews wrote both. that is just plain common sense, anthony
"examine it for your self."
- Hey - wait a minute. You are not allowed to promote this task, because it shows you made a decision for another.

Unnnnlllleeesssss......Self is important to this whole world we live in.

Thanks for promoting the Self and how it brings us to do the things we do.

Cheers!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#464803 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting article
Where does the orthodox church stand on where born or preborn babies go
If not baptized...
Do they go t o a LIMBO without Jesus or does He take them as His own
Hello Rose...When I became Greek Orthodox I asked my priest that question because I also wanted to know where my little girl was in the churches belief.As you know my little girl died from cancer at age 6 and was not baptized.I was going to protestant church back then.My Orthodox priest told me that my baby was in the hands of Jesus and and not to worry.Thats enough for me....God Bless!

Location hidden

#464804 Jul 22, 2013
I am doing this for Anrhony.He wants you to know the Orthodox Church believes the following so that you can hate on us, realizing we are the same as Catholics. Here is the list. Start TURNING ON US AND hating me alone.US.Then maybe Anthony will leave
hmmmmmm let me think
icons
saints
the Eucharist
priests
Theotokos ( Virgin ary) though not as extreme and stay away from the subject of appearance at Medjugory etc
ask the saints to pray for us
There are ways that Orthodoxy is very similar to some of your Protestant beliefs.Orthodoxy is focused , not so much on rules and rituals as it is on relationship with Christ, union with God. The Catholics here see that the Orthodox and Caths have similarities on the surface because the Catholics here think on the surface.They miss the spirituality that is the goal of Orthodoxy- beyond all Catechisms= relationship and union with Christ.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#464805 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>The concept of Limbo is outside Orthodox theology.
Orthodox do not believe in original "guilt" By Original Sin I mean being guilty of Adam's action-of Adam's sin. Orthodox believe that babies are born with an inborn predisposition to sin, there seems no more need for Limbo than there is a need for the belief in the Blessed Virgin's Mary's Immaculate Conception to produce a perfect Christ.
We inherit not Adam's guilt for his sin but a Adam's predisposition to sin. We do not carry the guilt of Adam's sin but Adam's predisposition to sin.
St. Gregory of Nyssa wrote in his treatise, "On Infants' Early Deaths" that since "the innocent babe has no such plague before its soul's eyes obscuring its measure of light, and so it continues to exist in that natural life; it does not need the soundness which comes from purgation, because it never admitted the plague into its soul at all."
Hope this is helpful
Yes because on an abortion forum none of the Catholics ..here too.

Seem to think aborted babies are with Jesus..in fact they put up a link
Which seemed to say abortion is a creation of the evil one ( I agreed)

With the purpose of having the souls of these unborn children baptized thus dying guilty of original sin.

Your explanation makes much more sense ..IMO

We do inherit disposition to sin and DEATH from Adam

I cannot believe. OUR DEAR LORD would let the evil one triumph over the souls of babies killed in the womb.

Not miscarried baby's ..nor infants And young children who die
without baptism.

Imo

Albuquerque, NM

#464806 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>This is the dictatorial monarchy.No wonder Catholics here just basically recite the Catechism.
Pride and arrogance - go together so well.

I'd rather have pride in what I do, knowing it will be well rcvd and can stand alone on the any recognition, than have arrogance or pride of what I did, when I present it to others.

New Age

Location hidden

#464807 Jul 22, 2013
compare for yourself.

Below is the King James Version of Isaiah 53:1-3.

[1] Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
[2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
[3] He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Below is the same passage from the Great Isaiah Scroll. Differences between the King James Version and the Great Isaiah Scroll are underlined. While these differences are not severe, at least in these few passages, it clearly demonstrates that more than 17 differences exist in Isaiah 53 between the Dead Sea Scrolls and the King James Version.

[1] Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
[2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor he hath comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire ourselves.
[3] He is despised and rejected of men and man of sorrows, and he knows grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; and despised him, and we esteemed him not.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#464808 Jul 22, 2013
Clay....whadda bouit....

You said:Pope Francis' statement. He never claimed atheist are saved.You're a liar and a cheat. I could never join your religion because you need to use deception in order to exists.

God knows you know Pope Francis didn't say what you teach he said. Everyone at your apocalyptic Bible study Adventist meeting will not get away with spreading that kinda garbage.

My reply:
First reported: LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online)- The Holy Father is full of surprises, born of true and faithful humility. On Wednesday he declared that all people, not just Catholics, are redeemed through Jesus, even atheists.

That was "corrected" quote:
What did Pope Francis really say? What was his message? The Vatican Radio report of it may be read here.

First, Pope Francis really did say: "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone!.... Even the atheists. Everyone!"

Tell me the two different messages you see...

Are you saying if a person is redeemed, he is not saved????? You deny Christ, the Savior, as the redeemer of the Human Race???

REDEEMER

A name given to Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the world, because he redeems mankind from the bondage and guilt of their sins, by dying in their place, and thus paying their ransom....

Albuquerque, NM

#464809 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>I don.t know how to rebuke. I am rebuke-challenged. Does this mean I get a handicap parking space?
Your lucky day, you get an assistance to help you change the horseshoes on the horse you just stopped!

;o)

Location hidden

#464810 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>he didn't play your friend for very long. as I suspected.
but hey don't worry, there are plenty of us Protestants that care for you and your wife.
we can agree to disagree but that doesn't mean that we must cruel about it
This is what draws to the Protestants rather than the Catholics here.You have Christ's spirit.

Anthony really surprised me. He will not give it up.This surprised me with the intensity. What does he care about the Ortho Church or educating Protestants re the Orthodox Church?? That is pathetic.

I am with you. We can agree to disagree.I also want to learn. I read your posts to each other.I believe there is great value in many things that are said. All I hear from the Caths is the catechism and attacks. Where is the soul in the posts?

Location hidden

#464811 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Pride and arrogance - go together so well.
I'd rather have pride in what I do, knowing it will be well rcvd and can stand alone on the any recognition, than have arrogance or pride of what I did, when I present it to others.
New Age
Thats why you are my homie.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#464812 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Spirit is already part of the Father. If you have to think that babies and still born babies go somewhere else, I feel sorry for you.
In fact, I pity you to think such awful thoughts.
I guess you don't believe much in the Spirit, huh?
*sighs*
BTW - Self - no religion is required to believe the way you do.
Why would you believe that babies go anywhere but heaven?
*points to the Topix police*
Hey, over here - this one has lost faith in the Father!! Heretic ALERT!!
I BELIEVE THOSE BABIES ARE WITH JESUS.

the Catholics on the other hand will not say that..

They give some answer from the CC. about God being merciful

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Aura Mytha 48,580
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 7 min lil whispers 3,678
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 11 min Toby 105,583
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min The Hangman 971,635
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 16 min DENG 38,751
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 49 min ChristineM 445,721
Gay sex in ct 1 hr Nytryte 2
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr Steve III 44,682
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr here 281,251
More from around the web