Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665168 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#464778 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not posting anything to you. I'm rather posting from respected Orthodox clergy and theologians showing the remarkable similarity between the two in order to reinforce the idea with the protestants on the thread that almost everything they hate about the Catholic Church is also found in Orthodoxy.
Also to highlight the difference from someone who will defend the faith against scurrilous false witness vs. those lukewarm folks who are more interested in exchanging Internet high-fives and cooking recipes.
Your true intend is to have the Protestants on this thread turn against us. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Orthodox church and the Catholic church do share things in common.The difference here Tony is that Nick and I RESPECT the Protestants here and you Catholic Don't.The fact remains that the catholics on this forum are nothing more than bullies and have an agenda that is far from Christian.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#464779 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not posting anything to you. I'm rather posting from respected Orthodox clergy and theologians showing the remarkable similarity between the two in order to reinforce the idea with the protestants on the thread that almost everything they hate about the Catholic Church is also found in Orthodoxy.
Also to highlight the difference from someone who will defend the faith against scurrilous false witness vs. those lukewarm folks who are more interested in exchanging Internet high-fives and cooking recipes.
You single out people who do not represent the beliefs of the Ortho Church. You twist Ortho belief and Cath belief to try to make them mesh.It is a game the Caths has played for years. t will not succeed with the Orthos.The Protestants here believe and trust me because I do not lie, twist, misquote, and rewrite history the way you and Caths here have. So post away.By the way a True Catholic does not show it by attacking every faith that disagrees with him. You know how the original Chruistians converted people. When the people say how they lived and how they loves each other they accepted Christ.

Location hidden

#464780 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
What the protestants on this thread also dislike more about the Catholic church verses the orthodox church is the corruption and unholy past history of your church.

Location hidden

#464781 Jul 22, 2013
Protestants and Eastern Orthodox often say that the immaculate conception of the Theotokos would contradict the doctrine of the redemption of humanity, as the Virgin Mary would have been cleansed before Christ's own incarnation, making his function superfluous

Orthodox Christians say that St. Augustine (d. 430), whose works were not well known in Eastern Christianity until perhaps the 17th and 18th centuries, has influenced the theology of sin that has generally taken root in the West.

Many Orthodox consider unnecessary the doctrine that Mary would require purification prior to the Incarnation. Eastern Orthodox theologians believe that the references among the Greek and Syrian Fathers to Mary's purity and sinlessness may refer not to an a priori state but to her conduct after birth.

Roman Catholics counter with Scripture (e.g., Romans 5, Wisdom of Solomon 2:24, I Corinthians 15:21, the experience of St. John the Baptizer in his mother's womb, etc.) and the writings of Church Fathers prior to St. Augustine.

Location hidden

#464782 Jul 22, 2013
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#464783 Jul 22, 2013
http://memeburn.com/2013/07/vatican-offers-le...

In its latest attempt to connect with believers via social media, the Vatican has said people who follow messages about an upcoming event shared by the Pope on Twitter can receive ‘indulgences’, which will reduce the amount of time Catholics believe they will have to spend in purgatory.

The Vatican has been careful to stress that it’s not offering absolution from sins on Twitter — just bringing the long-standing practice of indulgences to social media.

Twitter followers would still have to confess and be absolved of their sins the old-fashioned way.

According to The Guardian, indulgences will be given to those which attend Catholic World Youth Day in Brazil next week, as well as those who can’t physically attend but follow the event live on TV, radio and Twitter.

Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli, head of the pontifical council for social communication, told Italian publication Corriere della Sera that Catholics shouldn’t expect to use Twitter as a quick fix.

“Get it out of your heads straight away that this is in any way mechanical, that you just need to click on the internet in a few days’ time to get a plenary indulgence,” he is quoted as saying.“You can’t obtain indulgences like getting a coffee from a vending machine.”

Specifically, the decree that confirms attendees of the event in Rio de Janeiro will receive indulgences states that “the faithful who are legitimately impeded [from attending the event] can obtain the plenary indulgence if … they follow these same rites and pious exercises as they take place via television or radio, or, always with appropriate devotion, by the new means of social communication.”

So, casually retweeting updates from Brazil with no thought about what you’re doing won’t count — Celli says believers will have to be spiritually invested in the proceedings to receive the indulgence:...

You've got to be a sick person to believe this is structured in God's plan for salvation.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#464784 Jul 22, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/ blog/2005/03/patriach-bartholo mew-on-the-immaculate-concepti on/
Interesting article

Where does the orthodox church stand on where born or preborn babies go
If not baptized...

Do they go t o a LIMBO without Jesus or does He take them as His own

Location hidden

#464785 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Bishop Ware isn't a dissident. Hans Kung is. And a discredited one.
Your old ploy- the Pope don't accept him so he doesn't exist..
Hans Kung is brilliant. He was an advisor on Vatican 2 but after went from advisor to not existing because he spoke negatively about the church.So I guess he doent count.

Location hidden

#464786 Jul 22, 2013
Catholic Connection of the Immaculate Conception and Limbo

In order to understand the position of the Orthodox Church on this teaching we must begin with understanding the Orthodox concept of original sin, as opposed to that which prevails in the Western Catholic Church.

The Western Catholic Church's teaching of original sin, is based in part on the writings of Saint Augustine, which states that each human being at the moment of conception shares in the guilt of Adam's sin of disobedience.

This was based on Saint Augustine's slightly flawed Latin translation of Romans 5:12. Augustine did not read Greek with any great proficiency. Augustine read it as saying "so death spread to all men in whom (Adam) all men sinned", rather than "so death spread to all men because all men sinned", which is how the original Greek reads.

It is this teaching that led Western Catholic thinkers to create a place called "Limbo" (from the Latin word limbus, "border" or "hem"), meaning on the border of heaven.

They said this is where the souls of unbaptised infants could find refuge, since though not guilty of any personal sin, they still had the guilt of original sin on their souls, and so could not enter heaven proper.

In the medieval Western Catholic Church, original sin was believed to be transmitted in a physical sense through conception. It thus became important to many that Mary be preserved from this taint.

Hence the creation in the ninth century of the doctrine of the immaculate conception
Clay

Garden City, MI

#464787 Jul 22, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...I guess when you leave earth and come face to face with God, He'll say why didn't you leave the the religious system catholic church you were in? I sent you a born again ex hippie drug addict to warn you.
Great story Clay. Gave me chills.....
Lol. ok. Well, now that I'm older I can see that the guy down the street was surely teaching a new and strange Christianity- as are you.
Ironically, I think his name was Charlie (Chuck). Like you, he figured the Bible fell out of the sky and the Apostles forgot to explain what they were writing. God was waiting until the Evangelical movement to come along and interpret their writings.(it must have been that acid he did at Woodstock)

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#464788 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds to me that the true "Church" is divided amongst many groups.

Why would anyone claim to be above another?

Oh yeah - that was a "God" inspired text from me.

:o)

Self

Location hidden

#464789 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The masoretic text was copied a thousand years later than the Septuagint. The Septuagint agrees with the Dead Sea scrolls whenever the masoretic text disagrees with the Septuagint. Why would you prefer an OT that was copied by Jews 700-900 years after Christ and who were anti-Christian?
this is something we went over with JOHN several years ago. the Septuagint was Corrupted and the romans had to ask the jews to make more CORRECT copies.

the Septuagint even today doesn't agree with the Masoretic text. examine it for your self.http://www.ecmarsh.com/lx x-kjv/genesis/gen_001.htm

and I already showed that the Masoretic and the KJV are almost identical. and the link that I provided stated that the Scrolls were aligned with the Masoretic since Jews wrote both. that is just plain common sense, anthony

Location hidden

#464790 Jul 22, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you RoSesz, I didn't know that!! that is a good point.
LTM< I left out that part of her testimony. it said Mobile(something or other). she was using her smart phone to post on Facebook

Albuquerque, NM

#464791 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
An after-thought - inspired by "JohnfmNJ" during his dispute with the "Buckster"....

--paraphrased of course, but the conversation could be found if someone wants to dig a couple of years back...--

"JohnfmNJ" to the forum posters:
"How is it that the HS is guiding "Buckster", as well as I?"

I wonder if "John" found out??

"Buckster" - are you still out there in Topix-land? How is the "guidance" coming along?

I would think that "Anthony" and "Herme" wouldn't mind your input here.

Location hidden

#464792 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting article
If not baptized...
The concept of Limbo is outside Orthodox theology.
Orthodox do not believe in original "guilt" By Original Sin I mean being guilty of Adam's action-of Adam's sin. Orthodox believe that babies are born with an inborn predisposition to sin, there seems no more need for Limbo than there is a need for the belief in the Blessed Virgin's Mary's Immaculate Conception to produce a perfect Christ.

We inherit not Adam's guilt for his sin but a Adam's predisposition to sin. We do not carry the guilt of Adam's sin but Adam's predisposition to sin.

St. Gregory of Nyssa wrote in his treatise, "On Infants' Early Deaths" that since "the innocent babe has no such plague before its soul's eyes obscuring its measure of light, and so it continues to exist in that natural life; it does not need the soundness which comes from purgation, because it never admitted the plague into its soul at all."

Hope this is helpful

Albuquerque, NM

#464793 Jul 22, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Tit for Tat as long as you post your misleading quotes re Orthodoxy:
Anthony
Matthew Fox (born 1940) is an American priest and theologian.[1] Formerly a member of the Dominican Order within the Roman Catholic Church, he is now a member of the Episcopal Church.
In 1983, Catholic Church leadership began officially reviewing Fox’s teachings and theological divergences. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger – then Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, a Vatican administrative body charged with teaching and defending church doctrine – ordered a panel of Dominican priests and theologians to perform a two-year review of Fox’s writings.
When the initial findings found in Fox’s favor, Cardinal Ratzinger, later to become Pope Benedict XVI, rejected them and ordered a second review which was never undertaken. SOME SCHOLARS SAY THESE TRADITIONS ARE CLOSE TO THOSE THAT WERE FIRST LAID OUT BY JESUS.
AMONG FOX’S MOST CONTROVERSIAL TEACHINGS WAS A BELIEF IN "ORIGINAL BLESSING", WHICH BECAME THE TITLE OF ONE OF HIS MOST POPULAR BOOKS. THE CONCEPT WAS IN DIRECT CONTRAVENTION OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC DOCTRINE THAT PEOPLE ARE BORN INTO "ORIGINAL SIN".
In 1988, Fox wrote a public letter to Cardinal Ratzinger entitled "IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TODAY A DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY?", which was subsequently widely disseminated by the National Catholic
Reporter. Soon after, Cardinal Ratzinger issued an order forbidding Fox to teach or lecture for a year.
In 1993, Fox’s conflicts with Catholic authorities climaxed with his expulsion from the Dominican order for "disobedience", effectively ending his professional relationship with the church and his teaching at its universities.
Cardinal Ratzinger ordered the expulsion after Fox refused to respond to a summons to discuss his writings with his superiors in the Roman Catholic Church.
Men dictating other men on how to believe - "or else".

Self.

Jesus would be soooo proud.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#464794 Jul 22, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I was making fun of you guys. I actually regret it. I never 'danced around while the Christian rock band was jammin'. That's what I see you guys do.
I really don't like to mock peoples worship practices. I'm trying to work on not doing that.
That changes not the truth...

You know as much about salvation as you do brain surgery!!!!!

Which tells me unless something changes in your spiritual life, you will not be with the sheep for eternity!!!!!

Location hidden

#464795 Jul 22, 2013
I am doing this for Anrhony.He wants you to know the Orthodox Church believes the following so that you can hate on us, realizing we are the same as Catholics. Here is the list. Start TURNING ON US AND hating me alone.US.Then maybe Anthony will leave

hmmmmmm let me think

icons
saints
the Eucharist
priests
Theotokos ( Virgin ary) though not as extreme and stay away from the subject of appearance at Medjugory etc
ask the saints to pray for us

Albuquerque, NM

#464796 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting article
If not baptized...
Spirit is already part of the Father. If you have to think that babies and still born babies go somewhere else, I feel sorry for you.

In fact, I pity you to think such awful thoughts.

I guess you don't believe much in the Spirit, huh?

*sighs*

BTW - Self - no religion is required to believe the way you do.

Why would you believe that babies go anywhere but heaven?

*points to the Topix police*
Hey, over here - this one has lost faith in the Father!! Heretic ALERT!!

Location hidden

#464797 Jul 22, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Men dictating other men on how to believe - "or else".
Self.
Jesus would be soooo proud.
This is the dictatorial monarchy.No wonder Catholics here just basically recite the Catechism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 2 min Seentheotherside 464
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 6 min Voyeur 39,216
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 20 min Truthiness 24
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 44 min Scaritual 87,943
Renzenberger : STEALING MILLIONS from their dri... (Feb '15) 1 hr rocko 44
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 284,496
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr karl44 977,199
The Future of Politics in America 21 hr Insults Are Easier 176
More from around the web