Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 554,909
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#464244 Jul 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Religion is BUNK!
Correction: Self-appointed (bible only) preachers and self-interpreting "editorializing religions) are BUNK!

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#464245 Jul 21, 2013
Insane theology

Had mother Mary obeyed the Israelite law, she would not in any lifetime have willingly become a Catholic saint. She would forever be faithful to Judaism.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

From the book Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Purification

Mary, the mother of Christ , being of the Israelite faith, obeyed the law.

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#464246 Jul 21, 2013
Jews don't and never did "willingly" become Catholics any more than Catholics willingly became or become Jews.

If people are faithful to their own religions, mountains won't move them to change their patterns. If they change religions they are taught from childhood that GOD on high will punish them for not being "faithful."

You know it and I know it.

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#464247 Jul 21, 2013
From my perception, Mother Teresa saw the stupidity in her Catholic religion ... but she stuck to it because she was taught that to leave it was to burn in hell ... and she took that as very serious stuff indeed.

Imagine how hopeless she felt among those in India who outnumbered her and refused to become Catholics. She must have been completely overwhelmed in the idea that she couldn't save them from eternal hell even though that is what god expected of her.

Religion is wretched BUNK!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#464248 Jul 21, 2013
Chess wrote:
Speaking of Jesus and sex:

edited for space

According to Epiphanius, a group of Gnostics Christian he identifies as Phibionites possessed a gospel called the Greater Questions of Mary.
Epiphanius is a vitriolic and often unreliable source, so one must approach his quote from this otherwise unknown Gnostic text with some caution.
But if his account is accurate, this gospel depicted Jesus eating his own semen while Mary Magdalene looks on:
<quoted text>
Orthodox Christians.
Go figure.
*Ehrman's translation
According to the Panarion of Epiphanius of Salamis (ch. 26), and Theodoret's Haereticarum Fabularum Compendium, the Borborites or Borborians (also Koddians; in Egypt, Phibionites; in other countries, Barbalites, Secundians, Socratites, etc.) were a libertine Gnostic sect, said to be descended from the Nicolaitans.
The word "Borborite" comes from the Greek word &#914;&#972;&#961; &#946;&#959;&#961; &#959;&#962;, meaning "mud"; thus "Borborites" could be translated as "filthy ones".
They taught that there were eight heavens, each under a separate archon. In the seventh reigned Sabaoth, creator of heaven and earth, the God of the Jews, represented by some Borborites under the form of an ass or a hog; hence the Jewish prohibition of swine's flesh. In the eighth heaven reigned Barbelo, the mother of the living; the Father of All, the supreme God; and Christ. They denied that Christ was born of Mary, or had a real body; and also the resurrection of the body.
The Borborites possessed certain sacred books, one called Noria (the name they gave to Noah's wife), a Gospel of Eve, Books of Seth, Revelations of Adam, etc. They used both the Old and New Testament, but did not acknowledge the God of the Old Testament as the supreme deity.
They taught that there were eight heavens, each under a separate archon. In the seventh reigned Sabaoth, creator of heaven and earth, the God of the Jews, represented by some Borborites under the form of an ass or a hog; hence the Jewish prohibition of swine's flesh.
In the eighth heaven reigned Barbelo, the mother of the living; the Father of All, the supreme God; and Christ. They denied that Christ was born of Mary, or had a real body; and also the resurrection of the body.
The human soul after death wanders through the seven heavens, until it obtains rest with Barbelo. Man possesses a soul in common with plants and beasts. According to Augustine they taught that the soul was derived from the substance of God, and hence could not be polluted by contact with matter.
Sexual sacramentalism[edit]
Epiphanius says the Borborites were inspired by Sethianism and had as a distinct feature of their rituals elements of sexual sacramentalism, including smearing of hands with menstrual blood and semen, and consumption of the same as a variant of eucharist.
They were also said to extract fetuses from pregnant women and consume them, particularly if the women accidentally became pregnant during related sexual rituals.
Epiphanius claimed to have some first-hand knowledge of the sect, and to have run away from certain Gnostic women who reproached him
thus:
We have not been able to save the young man, but rather, have abandoned him to the clutches of the ruler!
—Epiphanius, Panarion, 26, 17.6
Epiphanius later reported the group to the bishops, resulting in the expulsion of around 80 people from the city of Alexandria.
As all these tellings about the Barborites come from their opponents, it is unknown if they are true or exaggerated. Stephen Gero finds them plausible and connected with earlier Gnostic myths.
Barbotiesa were Gnostics, not Orthodox. There were some Gnostics even further out than these. The Orthodox protected the Faith from these ideas.
Epiphanius later reported the group to the bishops, resulting in the expulsion of around 80 people from the city of Alexandria.
Interesting post . Thanx.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#464249 Jul 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Theologians had nothing "better" to do than write silly stuff.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>
The church father Epiphanius records that the Borborites[6] and other libertine Gnostic sects[7] consumed semen as the Body of Christ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus
So maybe *he* was obsessed with semen, eh?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#464250 Jul 21, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Herme:
I consider Gregory of Nyssa my patron saint. I find his teachings extraordinary and soothing....
Absolutely. None better

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#464251 Jul 21, 2013
Insane theology

You see what Catholic theologians did with their pens at the ready!

Mary being of the Jewish faith would not have been married by a priest. She would have been married by a rabbi.

You know it and I know it.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

From the book Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Marriage of the Virgin

The marriage ceremony itself is often depicted in front of the temple, with many people present. The priest, standing in the middle, joins the hands of the bride and groom.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#464252 Jul 21, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>According to the Panarion of Epiphanius of Salamis (ch. 26), and Theodoret's Haereticarum Fabularum Compendium, the Borborites or Borborians (also Koddians; in Egypt, Phibionites; in other countries, Barbalites, Secundians, Socratites, etc.) were a libertine Gnostic sect, said to be descended from the Nicolaitans.
The word "Borborite" comes from the Greek word &#914;&#972;&#961; &#946;&#959;&#961; &#959;&#962;, meaning "mud"; thus "Borborites" could be translated as "filthy ones".
They taught that there were eight heavens, each under a separate archon. In the seventh reigned Sabaoth, creator of heaven and earth, the God of the Jews, represented by some Borborites under the form of an ass or a hog; hence the Jewish prohibition of swine's flesh. In the eighth heaven reigned Barbelo, the mother of the living; the Father of All, the supreme God; and Christ. They denied that Christ was born of Mary, or had a real body; and also the resurrection of the body.
The Borborites possessed certain sacred books, one called Noria (the name they gave to Noah's wife), a Gospel of Eve, Books of Seth, Revelations of Adam, etc. They used both the Old and New Testament, but did not acknowledge the God of the Old Testament as the supreme deity.
They taught that there were eight heavens, each under a separate archon. In the seventh reigned Sabaoth, creator of heaven and earth, the God of the Jews, represented by some Borborites under the form of an ass or a hog; hence the Jewish prohibition of swine's flesh.
In the eighth heaven reigned Barbelo, the mother of the living; the Father of All, the supreme God; and Christ. They denied that Christ was born of Mary, or had a real body; and also the resurrection of the body.
The human soul after death wanders through the seven heavens, until it obtains rest with Barbelo. Man possesses a soul in common with plants and beasts. According to Augustine they taught that the soul was derived from the substance of God, and hence could not be polluted by contact with matter.
Sexual sacramentalism[edit]
Epiphanius says the Borborites were inspired by Sethianism and had as a distinct feature of their rituals elements of sexual sacramentalism, including smearing of hands with menstrual blood and semen, and consumption of the same as a variant of eucharist.
They were also said to extract fetuses from pregnant women and consume them, particularly if the women accidentally became pregnant during related sexual rituals.
Epiphanius claimed to have some first-hand knowledge of the sect, and to have run away from certain Gnostic women who reproached him
thus:
We have not been able to save the young man, but rather, have abandoned him to the clutches of the ruler!
—Epiphanius, Panarion, 26, 17.6
Epiphanius later reported the group to the bishops, resulting in the expulsion of around 80 people from the city of Alexandria.
As all these tellings about the Barborites come from their opponents, it is unknown if they are true or exaggerated. Stephen Gero finds them plausible and connected with earlier Gnostic myths.
Barbotiesa were Gnostics, not Orthodox. There were some Gnostics even further out than these. The Orthodox protected the Faith from these ideas.
Epiphanius later reported the group to the bishops, resulting in the expulsion of around 80 people from the city of Alexandria.
Interesting post . Thanx.
Hey, goofy, we don't plagiarize here.

We cite our sources.

We'll except for the thieves among us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borborites
Chess

Columbus, OH

#464253 Jul 21, 2013
We'll - Well

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#464254 Jul 21, 2013
So the one true Church ignores God's Word!

103 Bible Verses about Obeying Authority

http://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_auth...

They ignored this while 10 Popes KNEW children were being raped! And not once informed the police!

And now they have joined the Mormons in trying to make religious discrimination legal based on one's religious freedom!
Chess

Columbus, OH

#464255 Jul 21, 2013
DNF wrote:
...
And now they have joined the Mormons in trying to make religious discrimination legal based on one's religious freedom!
You might maybe wanna think that last thought through again.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#464256 Jul 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what you have been indoctrinated to believe. That's ALL you know.
Every person in religion knows what they believe.
Claiming to know truth is a religious habit.
Indoctrinated to what? If I was "supposedly indoctrinated" it would have been initiated and established by my father and mother from the bible only religion that I was raised in for the 1st 20 years of my life!------My conversion to the Catholic Faith came from years of (extensive) historical and biblical study, contemplation, diligent Church History research, prayer, detailed theological investigation, and reflection on authenticated Church History study.------I believe (without a doubt) that Jesus Christ, did (in fact) established and formed HIS biblical and historically PROVEN One TRUE (Universal) CHURCH over 2000 years ago-(Matthew 16:13-21---and "it was Catholic" ---NOBODY told me what to believe and I was "not" indoctrinated into believing what I believed!! You are correct! Claiming to know the TRUTH "IS" a religious habit ---and the Catholic nuns who "wear that Habit"
are a "perfect example"!!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#464257 Jul 21, 2013
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
You might maybe wanna think that last thought through again.
No need. It's what I see every day.

103 Bible Verses about Obeying Authority
http://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_auth...

As a gay man and a Christian it sickens me to hear and read all the vile posts that claim I molest children while the churches of these same people and their own Scout Troops HIDE child molesters and obstruct the police investigating these instances.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#464258 Jul 21, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Indoctrinated to what? If I was "supposedly indoctrinated" it would have been initiated and established by my father and mother from the bible only religion that I was raised in for the 1st 20 years of my life!------My conversion to the Catholic Faith came from years of (extensive) historical and biblical study, contemplation, diligent Church History research, prayer, detailed theological investigation, and reflection on authenticated Church History study.------I believe (without a doubt) that Jesus Christ, did (in fact) established and formed HIS biblical and historically PROVEN One TRUE (Universal) CHURCH over 2000 years ago-(Matthew 16:13-21---and "it was Catholic" ---NOBODY told me what to believe and I was "not" indoctrinated into believing what I believed!! You are correct! Claiming to know the TRUTH "IS" a religious habit ---and the Catholic nuns who "wear that Habit"
are a "perfect example"!!
Thanks for explaining why you hide child molesters.

103 Bible Verses about Obeying Authority
http://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_auth...

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#464259 Jul 21, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Indoctrinated to what? If I was "supposedly indoctrinated" it would have been initiated and established by my father and mother from the bible only religion that I was raised in for the 1st 20 years of my life!------My conversion to the Catholic Faith came from years of (extensive) historical and biblical study, contemplation, diligent Church History research, prayer, detailed theological investigation, and reflection on authenticated Church History study.------I believe (without a doubt) that Jesus Christ, did (in fact) established and formed HIS biblical and historically PROVEN One TRUE (Universal) CHURCH over 2000 years ago-(Matthew 16:13-21---and "it was Catholic" ---NOBODY told me what to believe and I was "not" indoctrinated into believing what I believed!! You are correct! Claiming to know the TRUTH "IS" a religious habit ---and the Catholic nuns who "wear that Habit"
are a "perfect example"!!
Let me guess. You were at the Scout Jamboree and were out of toilet paper so you used vast sections of the Bible.
Like these:
Luke 10:25-37
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
Matthew 25:31-46
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#464260 Jul 21, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what the words say to me, it says we can walk away but He will call us back.
You never fell from grace all these years you've been saved Preston?
Marge

A PERSON THAT sinned willfully ...it means THEY BECOME

what the Bible says...ABOUT THEM...

READ IT FOR YOURSELF

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

READ THE TRUTH ABOUT ETERNAL SECURITY...

WHAT DOES IMPOSSIBLE MEAN...

Heb 6:4 For it is --impossible<-- for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,


Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Heb 6:7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:

Heb 6:8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

IMPOSSIBLE DEFINED IN GREEK

G102
&#945;&#787;&#948; &#965;&#769;&#957; &#945;&#964;&#959; &#962;
adunatos
ad-oo'-nat-os
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1415; unable, that is, weak (literally or figuratively); passively impossible:- could not do, impossible, impotent, not possible, weak.

AND AGAIN

Col 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

-->THE WRATH OF GOD COMES UPON THOSE THAT ARE DISOBEDIENT....

Col 3:6 --> For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

Col 3:7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

Col 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Col 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

Col 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

~~~

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#464262 Jul 21, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>No need. It's what I see every day.
103 Bible Verses about Obeying Authority
http://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_auth...
As a gay man and a Christian it sickens me to hear and read all the vile posts that claim I molest children while the churches of these same people and their own Scout Troops HIDE child molesters and obstruct the police investigating these instances.
What desperate NEED to have to be accepted that you would join the very religion that tortured and put homosexuals to death as vile sinners?

Are you so weak as to beg such an image of a god to love you???

Sickening.

Up until the latest centuries, Christians taught that black people had no souls and therefore couldn't go to heaven. Now black preachers use the same book to vilify homosexuals as not being worthy of heaven.

Stupid people never learn.

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#464263 Jul 21, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
Marge
A PERSON THAT sinned willfully ...it means THEY BECOME
what the Bible says...ABOUT THEM...
READ IT FOR YOURSELF
This servant of "god" never "willfully" sins!

I wonder if pride in claiming to preach absolute truth for a god, while USING words written by mortal men, is a sin?

If it is ... YOU "KayMarie" are in BIG trouble!

:)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#464264 Jul 21, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm. David was a murderer and an adulterer and he was called a man after Gods own heart. Interesting. Yet had he been attracted to another man (AND HE WAS) that would have been to much for him to have been called a man after Gods own heart. Is that what you're saying?
It was okay TO BE A MURDERER AND ADULTERER and still be a man after Gods own heart. But if he looked sideways at another man then all bets are off,LOL,LOL.
Which sin is greater,being a homosexual or being a murderer and adulterer?
In English the word homosexual was first used in 1892 in the English translation of Krafft-Ebing's "Psychopathia sexualis" which was a reference work, in German, on sexual perversions. It first appeared in 1886 and was enormously popular, being reprinted about once a year!

Ro 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

When the words in the above Scripture were spoken and written, it is clear He was speaking above heterosexuals guilty of the acts of:

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Tell me which of these sins is greater than the other:

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min AN NFL FAN 119,243
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min Rick in Kansas 263,458
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min BenAdam 764,632
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 20 min lil whispers 603,614
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 26 min Student 39,155
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 31 min WildWeirdWillie 175,042
marketing cpagrip offers 41 min jonny 2
Moses never existed 1 hr jjustice0981 558

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE