Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 578,915
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more
chuck

Ashburn, VA

#463037 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Cor. 3:10-15 - works are judged after death and tested by fire. Some works are lost, but the person is still saved. Paul is referring to the state of purgation called purgatory. The venial sins (bad works) that were committed are burned up after death, but the person is still brought to salvation. This state after death cannot be heaven (no one with venial sins is present) or hell (there is no forgiveness and salvation).
1 Cor. 3:15 –“if any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.” The phrase for "suffer loss" in the Greek is "zemiothesetai." The root word is "zemioo" which also refers to punishment. The construction “zemiothesetai” is used in Ex. 21:22 and Prov. 19:19 which refers to punishment (from the Hebrew “anash” meaning “punish” or “penalty”). Hence, this verse proves that there is an expiation of temporal punishment after our death, but the person is still saved. This cannot mean heaven (there is no punishment in heaven) and this cannot mean hell (the possibility of expiation no longer exists and the person is not saved).
1 Cor. 3:15 – further, Paul writes “he himself will be saved, "but only" (or “yet so”) as through fire.”“He will be saved” in the Greek is “sothesetai”(which means eternal salvation). The phrase "but only" (or “yet so”) in the Greek is "houtos" which means "in the same manner." This means that man is both eternally rewarded and eternally saved in the same manner by fire.
1 Cor. 3:13 - when Paul writes about God revealing the quality of each man's work by fire and purifying him, this purification relates to his sins (not just his good works). Protestants, in attempting to disprove the reality of purgatory, argue that Paul was only writing about rewarding good works, and not punishing sins (because punishing and purifying a man from sins would be admitting that there is a purgatory).
1 Cor. 3:17 - but this verse proves that the purgation after death deals with punishing sin. That is, destroying God's temple is a bad work, which is a mortal sin, which leads to death. 1 Cor. 3:14,15,17 - purgatory thus reveals the state of righteousness (v.14), state of venial sin (v.15) and the state of mortal sin (v.17), all of which are judged after death.
Let me guess....from a catholic website right?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#463038 Jul 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a gift ..it's free.
We must BELIEVE in Christ and His Sacrifice ..be washed clean by Him .
Have the Spirit.
Repent ..follow Him
The Spirit calls we answer or not ...our choice to ACCEPT the Gift
You cannot get yo heaven by going to it joining a Church
So His sacrifice wasn't enough, we actually have to do something like believe and accept and repent?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#463039 Jul 17, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>We give you the answers you seek but you refuse to except them so that shows your intent.Your goal is to try to upset us with your post about the Orthodox church which we are not upset.its your patback for my posts on the catholic church.Your sincerity is transparent!!
Your answers contradict Metropolitan Phillip, that's why I ask. I've told you before I'm very fond of the Orthodox Church, I have a lot of history there. What faith community were you a part of before you met Nick a few years ago?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#463040 Jul 17, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess....from a catholic website right?
Um, I'm reasonably confident 1 Cor. 3 is your bible too, no?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#463041 Jul 17, 2013
Aunt he be saying: I receive the Precious Blood twice a week.

Drinking and Praying: Proposal Could Tip Irish Priests Over Legal Limit

Both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland want to lower the legal blood alcohol level for drivers. Priests are afraid it might affect their ability to motor around after Mass.

Bad Blood: Priests in Ireland are concerned that lowering the legal drinking level for drivers might leave them stranded after Mass.

The job description for a Catholic priest doesn't include a lot of perks -- perhaps one reason that their numbers are shrinking rapidly across the Western world. In Ireland, though, the gig might be further complicated by a new proposal to lower the legal blood alcohol limit for drivers. Priests there are speaking out against the proposal because it could render them legally drunk after performing Mass.

Aunt....why is it that you are drinking the "precious blood" of Christ....and the priests in Ireland are not drinking the "precious blood of Christ", but wine that could get them arrested for DUI???!!!!!
Human Being

Eunice, LA

#463042 Jul 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction. I walked away WITHOUT FEAR.
Many fear to walk away, because they fail to understand what Jesus taught. I blame that on Christianity, for severing Jesus into two people - one that they wish to promote, and the other that shows how Jesus was a complete man with a complete teaching philosophy.
Christianity has failed its followers and its followers have failed at being honest about it.
New Age Spiritual Leader:

I was not specifically saying that you were fearful of a decision to walk away from prior Christian beliefs.

I was generalizing. But I think, that "leaders and followers", may have feared for their own and other's salvation, the release of non-orthodox Nag-Hammadi(gnostic) writings, as opposed to accepted Christian writings(canonized). It is of course based more on a sense of insecurity.

If someone is not wise enough, they may be living in a purgative view and think that others live that way also. Generally speaking wisdom takes time and experience to accrue and apply.

Christianity is not immune to learning through time what works and what does not. Most of us operate on an assumption that we have knowledge enough to know truth from falsehood. IMHO it is the collision of this assumption with reality, that we often discover we lack sufficient information to make wise decisions.(It is a source of dismay and disillusionment.)
Human Being

Eunice, LA

#463043 Jul 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
AWWW knock it off Robert. You love your religion because you believe heaven is designed for you and hell is designed for others.
If you didn't ... you would still BE an Atheist. And that is the truth.
June:

It seems no matter how many times I deny your statement, you assume I am either lying(to myself, and/or others) or wrong....It is an interesting dilemma.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#463044 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So His sacrifice wasn't enough, we actually have to do something like believe and accept and repent?
It's not a work..And you know it.

If you're thirsty ..I GIVE you a drink

You can remain thirsty or DRINK the water

You do have free will

We can accept or reject Jesus .

It's a choice. Not WORKS that will earn us salvation

We cannot earn it..NO MATTER HOW MUCH PENANCE ..HOW MANY TIMES WE GO TO CHURCH

HOW manuscripts we crawl up on our knees ...as,Luther was shown by God .

None of those steps he crawled up on his knees could ever wash him clean

Nothing but the blood of Jesus is sufficient .

IT IS FINISHED

AFTER HE DRANK THE CUP OF OUR SINS ..
DIED A TERRIBLE DEATH shedding His blood for US

WHAT more is left..IT IS FINISHED.

Not by us ..it's free ..we do have to accept the gift of go thirsty.
Human Being

Eunice, LA

#463045 Jul 17, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Human Being I wasnt talking about you. I dont even know what you are talking about LOL
Be well
Herme:

I'm sorry. It seemed your discussion with Dust was getting nowhere. I thought I might break in....

Most often people philosophically argue from the general to the specific. If it gets back to generalizing, something gets lost, usually one's temper(smiles)....

And you too, be well....
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#463046 Jul 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a work..And you know it.
If you're thirsty ..I GIVE you a drink
You can remain thirsty or DRINK the water
You do have free will
We can accept or reject Jesus .
It's a choice. Not WORKS that will earn us salvation
We cannot earn it..NO MATTER HOW MUCH PENANCE ..HOW MANY TIMES WE GO TO CHURCH
HOW manuscripts we crawl up on our knees ...as,Luther was shown by God .
None of those steps he crawled up on his knees could ever wash him clean
Nothing but the blood of Jesus is sufficient .
IT IS FINISHED
AFTER HE DRANK THE CUP OF OUR SINS ..
DIED A TERRIBLE DEATH shedding His blood for US
WHAT more is left..IT IS FINISHED.
Not by us ..it's free ..we do have to accept the gift of go thirsty.
You're all over the board here rose. Chuck says Catholics believe Christ's sacrifice isn't enough, but can't explain what enough means and won't discuss it with me anymore. If Christ's sacrifice is enough per chuck, why do we need to do anything at all?
Human Being

Eunice, LA

#463047 Jul 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But in your arrogant state of superiority ... you HAVE judged.
If that were not so, you would not BE "attached" to any other religion.
You people believe that a god exists and you can jump the gun and judge for yourselves that YOU are worthy of heaven.
And don't try the B.S. of humility that you might just be the one to go to hell.
You are too damned arrogant to even think THAT.
June:

I think what is most obvious to others, and myself is that you project your opinions as if they are absolute truth.

It gets tedious for some to repeat themselves. But you seem to thrive on repeating your opinions. Its interesting, but circular in reasoning....I suspect it has something to do telling a lie so many times, someone will believe.

I don't believe you. But you make me wonder if you are capable of distinguishing between truth and your opinion....

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#463048 Jul 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be doing a "pretty good job" of boasting, and bragging about the Orthodox Church and its history, yourself--as you believe it!........ I'm secure enough in my faith about Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church to "defend it" against many non-catholics on this forum who have an anti-catholic agenda, to preach heresy and spread false and distorted teachings in an attempt to undermine, TRUE CHURCH HISTORY and the TRUE Interpretation of the Bible..........unsuccessfully, I might add)!!
I have never boasted about the orthodox church.I made corrections about 1054 and also hojo ONE TRUE CHURCH repeats. Never once have I boasted as hojo does about the ORTHODOX CHURCH BEING THE TRUE FAITH THE ONLY WAY TO SALVATION ETC ETC.as hojo does over and over again.Your church is a water down version of the orthodox faith.And may I add this" Lair Lair Pants On Fire"!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#463049 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your answers contradict Metropolitan Phillip, that's why I ask. I've told you before I'm very fond of the Orthodox Church, I have a lot of history there. What faith community were you a part of before you met Nick a few years ago?
Anthony She was a pagan sacrifice for the Chihuahua Tribe in the jungles of Mexico when I rescued her.
I was on a mission to capture what we called "The Kong" I convinced the Tribe that she wasn't a virgin and they let her go.

Location hidden

#463050 Jul 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Protestant "polls" mean nothing!! This is just more of your "distorted anti-ctholic propaganda, that you bible only "buffoons" have been indoctrinated in!...... Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church has proclaimed and taught the TRUTH for over 2000 years, regarding the TRUE BODY AND TRUE BLOOD of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist, as recorded in John 6:47-59. If "a few Catholic question it---"so-be-it"! It STILL REMAINS,(as it always has) the TRUE BIBLICAL TEACHINGS of the Catholic Church You "fundies" just keep "making things up" in order to (fit into) your bible only pyramid of mis-interpreted bible verses that have been built on "sand" since sola scriptura began in the 1800's.
I repeat:
Believing or not believing in the "Real Presence of Jesus HIMSELF in the Eucharist, is NOT an "opinion poll." I/we as Catholics will leave "personal editorialized opinions" of bible interpretation to the bible only Protestants and there 42,000+ contradicting, conflicting and inconsistent denominations ( correction --42,346, the new number today)
You bible only "fundies" as just like Peter before his TRUE conversion to Jesus Christ!! YOU FISH---and catch NOTHING!!!!.
And you fish and catch carp!

Location hidden

#463051 Jul 17, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I have never boasted about the orthodox church.I made corrections about 1054 and also hojo ONE TRUE CHURCH repeats. Never once have I boasted as hojo does about the ORTHODOX CHURCH BEING THE TRUE FAITH THE ONLY WAY TO SALVATION ETC ETC.as hojo does over and over again.Your church is a water down version of the orthodox faith.And may I add this" Lair Lair Pants On Fire"!
correction...Liar,Lair

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#463052 Jul 17, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Herme:
I'm sorry. It seemed your discussion with Dust was getting nowhere. I thought I might break in....
Most often people philosophically argue from the general to the specific. If it gets back to generalizing, something gets lost, usually one's temper(smiles)....
And you too, be well....
Very Useful. Thanx.

Location hidden

#463053 Jul 17, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony She was a pagan sacrifice for the Chihuahua Tribe in the jungles of Mexico when I rescued her.
I was on a mission to capture what we called "The Kong" I convinced the Tribe that she wasn't a virgin and they let her go.
Please, it was Spain not Mexico!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#463054 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep saying we don't see Christ's sacrifice as "enough" and call it a doctrine from the pits of hell, but you can't explain to me what "enough" is. Let's try it this way; If Christ's sacrifice covered all sins past, present and future, then why isn't every human being saved the moment they're born?
You need to get a copy of this new book called Bible....

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

How can a person, at the time he exits the womb, "fill the bill"??????
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#463055 Jul 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you go play with someone else's Bible? How about the Mormons or Muslims. They got a bible too, ya know?
Catholics follow the word of God- both written and oral. In fact, the CC told you the writings were the word of God, and now you stab them in the back with it.
And to boot, you only follow whatever you see in our written scriptures! You don't even follow what the Apostles taught about their writings! That its very bold of you.
It seems to me, Tiger, if you were really interested in what the Apostles taught when they explained their writings, you'd go to the writings of their students. None of you will dare venture there. It would destroy the SDA cult if they considered what the Apostles actually taught. Fundamental Christianity completely relies on ignoring what the first Christians understood.
Here is what the Disciple of John said about the Sabbath
"For if we live after the manner of Judaism, we avow that we have not received grace. If then those who had walked in ancient practices attained unto newness of hope, no longer observing Sabbaths, but fashioning their lives after the Lords day (Sunday), on which our lives ALSO rose with Him and through His death.....how shall we be able to live apart from Him?
It is monstrous to talk of Jesus Christ and still practice Judaism. For Christianity did not believe in Judaism, but Judaism in Christianity"
Ignatius to the Magnesians
The Ten Commandments were given to the Jews but it can be proven that each and every one of the Ten Laws was already in force way before Exodus.
SDA’s do not keep “sabbaths”(Ceremonial sabbaths).
They were a shadow and were nailed to the cross as I explained earlier today.

Ignatius’s writings are not considered to be inspired.

Prove to me that the Lord’s day is Sunday.
To me, from the Bible, the Lord’s Day is the Sabbath, not Sunday.
In regard to the Sabbath, Christ says, "The Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath."
Not A Sabbath, but THE Sabbath.
He says also, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." Mark 2:27, 28.

He does not say, the Sabbath was made for the JEWS, and a Sabbath for the Gentiles, but "THE Sabbath was made for man." --All mankind.

Some may think that our first day, is in reality the seventh, but this is settled when we examine Matt. 28:1, and Luke 23:56, & 24:1, where a plain distinction is made between the two days.

Matthew says, "In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week," etc.

Luke says, "And rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment. Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning," etc.

Now your turn Clay...

Location hidden

#463056 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I was alittle bit country and alittle bit rock n roll. Why do you ask and better yet why do you care?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to Recover Deleted Messages from iPhone wit... (May '13) 2 min EnideKosa 59
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Big Country_ 817,474
Umthondo omkhulu nekuku emanzi eKWT & EL 49 min Babe 3
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr Stuart Cudahy 1,962
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr doug 97,974
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr cheer the f up 121,444
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr thetruth 9,226
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Aura Mytha 270,053
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr LAWEST100 609,821
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 5 hr MUQ2 39,952