Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
446,681 - 446,700 of 538,372 Comments Last updated 3 min ago

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

All preachers of all religions believe a creator chose them to preach truth, and they tell each other in no uncertain terms who is going to hell and who the creator is going to save.

And they don't perceive that in so-doing they suffer from vain-glories.

Religion is a shameful practice ... or at least it should be a shameful practice.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>In our city we have a Italian catholic church and a polish catholic church.I guess they have the same Bishop right?The Italian church is in a Italian neighborhoos and the polish church is in the polish side of the city.
Yes, they have the same bishop. There are no ethnically divided Churches within an archdiocese with different Catholic bishops depending on their ehtnicity.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious? If they are in "good standing" it is because they agree with the Cath Church. If they disagree with the Cath Church they are "not in good standing".Therefore you will not find writers in "good standing" that disagree with the Church except for trivial issues.Why am I even having this conversation?
The authority of the Church is not a trivial issue, to Catholics anyaway.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>If is a "different tradition",it is not the Orthodox Church tradition.If a Bishop is going to go against the Ortho Church and authorize a defrocked Ortho priest to have a Church isnt it obvious that the Ortho Church would give him the boot as well? I am very close to considering this particular line of dialogue as insincere and not worthy of response.
No need to get upset Hermi, I'm just going by what this writer said. The "tradition" I'm referring to is Greek vs. Russian, etc.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>You really dont want the fats. You just want to keep questioning.Yes we have different ethnic churches in the same town under one Bishop.I attended a Liturgy concebrated by Greek Romanian and Russian priests with the Orthodox bishop presiding. Enough proof for you? You have to remember that there are Greek Cath Churches and non Chalcedonian Churches that are not Orthodox.Now leave me alone.You are not sincere.
Let me explain. A Greek Orthodox Church can be located on the same block as a Russian Orthodox Church. My understanding is that the priests and faithful have a Russian Orthodox bishop in charge of things and the Greek have a Greek bishop. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

Seraphima wrote:
physical, mental, and spiritual ills of humanity. This is a mystery of the Church and although firmly believed, there is reluctance to try to explain it in Orthodoxy.
Ruling bishop[edit]
A ruling bishop or diocesan bishop is responsible for and the head of all the parishes located in his a particular geographical territory, called a diocese or archdiocese. All authority of the lower orders of clergy is derived from the bishop. No divine services may be celebrated in any Orthodox building without the authorization of the appropriate bishop. Saint Ignatius the God-bearer of Antioch went so far as to state that "he who acts without the bishop's knowledge is in the devil's service."
A ruling bishop may have the title of Bishop, Archbishop, Metropolitan, Metropolitan Archbishop or Patriarch.
Rankings of bishops[edit]
Sacramentally, all bishops are equal, but there are distinctions of administrative rank.
Patriarchs[edit]
Main Article: Patriarch
The title patriarch is reserved for the primate of certain of the autocephalous Orthodox churches. The first hierarch of the other autocephalous churches are styled metropolitan or archbishop.
The title patriarch was first applied to the original three major sees of Rome, Alexandria, and Antioch, and shortly after extended to include Constantinople and Jerusalem (cf. Pentarchy).
Much later the term was granted to the heads of other most significant churches. Significance for some churches now may be more historical than actual.
Archbishops and Metropolitans[edit]
The title of archbishop or metropolitan may be granted to a senior bishop, usually one who is in charge of a large ecclesiastical jurisdiction. He may, or may not, have provincial oversight of suffragan bishops and may possibly have auxiliary bishops assisting him.
In the Slavonic and Antiochian traditions, a metropolitan outranks an archbishop, whereas the reverse is the situation in the Greek tradition. The Antiochian tradition also uses the style 'metropolitan archbishop' to differentiate from metropolitan bishops in the Greek tradition.
The change in the Greek tradition came about in later Greek history, because the diocesan bishops of ancient sees (which in the Greek diaspora include most) came to be styled metropolitans, short for "metropolitan bishops."
The Slavonic and Antiochian churches continue to follow the older tradition, where an archbishop is a senior bishop in charge of a major see, and a metropolitan is a bishop in charge of a province which may include a number of minor and/or major sees.
In the Greek tradition, all diocesan bishops of autocephalous churches such as the Church of Greece (the Bishop of Patras being Metropolitan) are now metropolitans, and an archbishop holds his title as an indication of greater importance for whatever reason. The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is the notable exception as all diocesan bishops carry the title of metropolitan. In other churches under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate such as the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia the ruling bishop is the archbishop while the other bishops are auxiliary bishops with titles of the ancient sees
"A ruling bishop or diocesan bishop is responsible for and the head of all the parishes located in his a particular geographical territory, called a diocese or archdiocese. All authority of the lower orders of clergy is derived from the bishop. No divine services may be celebrated in any Orthodox building without the authorization of the appropriate bishop. Saint Ignatius the God-bearer of Antioch went so far as to state that "he who acts without the bishop's knowledge is in the devil's service."

This is how the Catholic Church operates as well.

The question I have is related to the ethenically differing Churches and whether a Russian bishop is in charge of a Greek bishop if the Churches are located in the same geograhpic area.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now ... let me ask you THIS question. DO you believe that women who have abortions ARE murderers?
Remember now ... according to your theology ... your god is watching you, and knows what you post ... so if you claim that women aren't murderers of god's precious fetuses, they you are calling your own "god" a liar.
Quite a conundrum ... HUH???
Not really

God says thou shall not kill

What you don't get Grams is the fact that thousands of women have had abortions, regret it, and even repent and come to faith in Jesus Christ. That is the part you hate. That is the part you don't get because you grew up in religion. Did they kill yes...will God show mercy and forgive yes.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Lies Lies Lies. I said I wouldnt listen to a Patriarch if he went against Christ. Of course you would listen to your Pope if he goes against Christ. Thats how your Church got to where it is today.
Can you please explain where Metropolitan Philip is lying? I sincerely want to understand.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>they will never understand Nick...there pride wont let them....you cant argue with a brick wall.
Sera, I'd just like to know if more than one bishop oversees the same territory. According to Metropolitan Philip and this writer they do. You and Nick say that's not so. How is that prideful?
Human Being

Eunice, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You misunderstand me, I don't complain, I'm pointing out facts.
I will never buy a Bible nor will I ever purchase a cross.
I don't think anyone should profit off of Jesus or "God".
IMHO - since "greed" is one of the deadly sins, many so-called "Christians" will find the demise they shun upon others, to be their very own - if one is to believe in this kind of thing.
- Since I don't believe that a loving Father will shun me to my demise, I guess I can't really believe in a "hell" as others do.
*shrugs*
New Age Spiritual Leader

You write of "simony".

It is an ideal to not expect something in return for work rendered.
I think one must not muzzle the ox when it works.

You are getting "Juneitis", she thinks everyone within religion condemns everyone outside their own beliefs to hell....(smiles)
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Anthony, cant stay very busy day. However maybe Herme can post his open letter to the Patriarchs that he posted since he has said several times he isnt going to listen to them anyway if they differ from his apparently infallible opinions like his claim the Catholic church has more abuse than other churches backed by nothing but his bigotry and very unschoolarly opinions. The bottom line is since he has the right to his truth then I dont think he should bother claiming any authority of a Patriarch or what they say about anyone who is an Othroodox since he doesnt have to. Its a double standard.
http://credo.stormloader.com/Ecumenic/philioc...
Interesting article. It's not meshing with what Nick and Sera are saying. Not sure why....

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Believing or not believing in the "Real Presence of Jesus HIMSELF in the Eucharist, is NOT an "opinion poll." I/we as Catholics will leave "personal editorialized opinions" of bible interpretation to the bible only Protestants and there 42,000+ contradicting, conflicting and inconsistent denominations ( correction --42,346, the new number today).
I repeat:
Not all Catholics swallow that swill!!!!!
Eucharist and Belief in the Real Presence
Nine in ten weekly Mass attendees (91 percent) say they believe that Jesus Christ is really present in the Eucharist, compared to two-thirds of those who attend Mass less than weekly but at least once a month (65 percent), and four in ten of those attending Mass a few times a year or less (40 percent).
Plus: That teaching of drinking the actual blood of Christ contradicts: That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Which shows a fallible Bible...which it is not....
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now ... let me ask you THIS question. DO you believe that women who have abortions ARE murderers?
Remember now ... according to your theology ... your god is watching you, and knows what you post ... so if you claim that women aren't murderers of god's precious fetuses, they you are calling your own "god" a liar.
Quite a conundrum ... HUH???
There is a woman in our church who had an abortion at a young age and just like I said, she regrets it...she repented of her sins...received CHRIST by faith...was baptized...now serves God in our church in a childrens' ministry and also works at a pro-life organization...counseling women that they do have a choice besides an abortion. She will tell you she killed but she will also say she is forgiven because of Jesus Christ.

Oh yes Grams...to GOD BE THE GLORY

LOL...you hate this kind of stuff huh..cause you could of had it but you rejected it.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

The Pope is not infallible.
This would have flagged the article as incorrect and inaccurate.
But you continued to post it.
Hmmmm....why do you think the Pope is infallible?
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Pope is not infallible."
But you are?
Ah yes, the ol' tactic of repeating what the poster said, not supplying a response, but instead diverting and asking another question that has no relevance to the discussion.

I'll state my post to you again, and ask my question again.

The Pope is not infallible.

This would have flagged the article as incorrect and inaccurate.
But you continued to post it.

Hmmmm....why do you think the Pope is infallible?

Honesty Anthony, that is all I am looking for, and you couldn't even apply it to such a simple question.

*sighs*
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Catholics do not believe in a literal Second Coming. According to this Catholic evangelist the Catholic Church teaches Jesus will only rule the world spiritually through their Church - no second Coming, no resurrection.

audio of this Catholic evangelist who explains their position on the Second Coming.

down the page a bit find link to "Catholic eschatology" for the radio program..
http://nicklasarthur.wordpress.com/radio-prog...
direct audio link (MP3)
http://wwfar.com/mp3s/CrossTheBorder/CTB.0306...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
"Modern men?"
They charge under the premise that they are taking the money to give to the poor, because as we are fully aware "god" doesn't look after the poor.
What a joke.
That is one perception.

Thanks for responding.
Human Being

Eunice, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

<quoted text>
Nicely said!! LOL!
If there was an ulterior motive by NG, IMO - it would be related to giving the world what Christianity failed to do, reveal a part of Jesus that was rejected by men.
This is a good thing.
New Age Spiritual Leader:

Sure you can have your opinion.(smiles)

I suspect there were different motives for those involved in investigating the Nag-Hammadi Scriptures, not the least of which was curiosity....
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Chuck wrote:
Purgatory proclaimed a dogma by Council of Florence "If they have died repentant for their sins and having love of God, but have not made satisfaction for things they have done or omitted by fruits worthy of penance, then their souls, after death, are cleansed by the punishment of Purgatory; also ... the suffrages of the faithful still living are efficacious in bringing them relief from such punishment, namely the Sacrifice of the Mass, prayers and almsgiving and other works of piety which, in accordance with the designation of the Church, are customarily offered by the faithful for each other." Council of Florence (1438-1443)
*Notice: faithful still living are efficacious in bringing them relief from such punishment.
-so sinners here can pray for relief of punishment but the sacrifice of Jesus Christ cannot keep a person out of purgatory.
-if this isn't a doctrine from Satan himself, I'll buy you a watch.
You keep saying we don't see Christ's sacrifice as "enough" and call it a doctrine from the pits of hell, but you can't explain to me what "enough" is. Let's try it this way; If Christ's sacrifice covered all sins past, present and future, then why isn't every human being saved the moment they're born?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
In John 6 Jesus clearly and unambiguously states we are to eat His body and drink His blood to have eternal life. He clearly and unambiguously states in the Last Supper narratives that the bread is His body, the wine His blood.
The Eucharist is ALSO a spiritual meal, it is not an either/or. Additionally, saying something is spiritual does not mean it's symbolic. Spiritual is not the same as symbolic. Protestants teach that their communion is symbolic.
Then you are not a Christian...You ignore the Word of God..

That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Wherefore say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Ye eat with the blood, and lift up your eyes toward your idols, and shed blood: and shall ye possess the land?

Plus your erroneous beliefs show the Word of God to be contradicting...which males the Bible fallible...which al, Christians no that is impossible....

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to get upset Hermi, I'm just going by what this writer said. The "tradition" I'm referring to is Greek vs. Russian, etc.
I am not upset. I am skeptical of your continuing to try to prove something when I have offered many posts to clarify.Greek v Russian?
the writer? ok Take care.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min Charlie Sheen 259,647
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min Buck Crick 226,058
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 3 min Falcon 715
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 3 min shyam 1,105
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Stilgar Fifrawi 732,249
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 4 min Student 38,612
Gay sex in Doha - need hot men (Sep '13) 26 min raj 3
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 53 min Clearwater 173,230
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Senecus 599,703

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••