Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 695275 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

Garden City, MI

#463097 Jul 17, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does Christ say there has to be a pope at the top of the Roman Catholic Church?
Where does Christ say we have to pray to dead people? He condemns it.
You reject anything to do with the Jew but embrace such things as icons and statues which were in the Temples of the Jews.
I have never heard of any church other than the Roman Catholic Church pay any attention to Origen or Ignatius or any of those apostates regardless of who taught them.
Our doctrine on the Sabbath is clear in the Bible and does not require any endorsement from any other source.
It’s just that you have Sunday as your pillar of truth when it can be proven that Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath.
You say we have Sunday as our "pillar of truth"?

I'm not sure what you're saying about that. The Apostle Paul says the Church is the pillar of truth, not a certain day of the week.

Sunday is the day the Lord rose. If Christ is God, then He is allowed to install Sunday..
Look, just observe Saturday if you want. It doesn't affect me in the least. The Catholic, Orthodox and 95% of Protestantland will continue with our Sunday worship like the Apostles taught.

And to answer your first question, Christ doesn't say there has to be a Pope at the top of the Roman Catholic Church. The Apostles had one leader when Christ departed. Peter.
It stands to reason that the next generation of Christians also had one.
35 or so leaders later, this Church installed a Bible to be read at the Holy Mass.
1500 yr later, you guys removed that Bible from the Church and mass and began to design your own Christianity.
40 Apocalyptic false alarms later, you guys are still ticking.
Please leave that reckless cult. Divert your zeal for Christ where it can be productive.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#463099 Jul 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
"God's plan"
LOL
I wonder why "God's plan" allowed Trayvon to be killed? To start a racism war?
I wonder why "God's plan" caused the little 10 year old girl to freeze to death on Christmas? To show the world that little girls freeze to death? Maybe it was to put a burden of sorrow upon her mother? Maybe it was to put her "evil" father in prison to teach him a lesson?
"God's plan" this....."God's plan" that.....and yet many can't be honest enough to admit that they have no idea what "God's plan" is, yet when your back is turned, "God can do this" and "God could do that"......yet still no results.
It appears that being honest with others is not a characteristic of a so-called "Christian".
Honestly is not characteristic in most religion. The first thing people would have to admit is that they don't know if awareness survives after the death of physical bodies ... and people in religion don't want to admit that they don't know. Most all people in religion assert the idea that they DO know ... period ... end of subject.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#463100 Jul 17, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
Are any of you familiar with the four hidden dynasties of Satan and what they are?
\
No, but I am sire you are just "dying" to tell us all about the "new" revelations.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#463101 Jul 17, 2013
The fact that non-human animals that can't betray a god suffer horrible pain every day, ongoing, indicates that if there is an all-knowing, all-powerful creator ... that creator is TOTALLY responsible for the suffering.

There can be NO other REASON for the suffering of non-human animals, and that means the creator is definitely a sadist.

Religion is BUNK!
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#463102 Jul 17, 2013
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
bad for you,if moslems will know your blasphemies they cut out your clitoris and head and throw to the dogs or pigs full of mire and stinking dog viomits
Your jealous that the Muslims get all the good stuff and you will have to burn in their hell.

I'm tired of only Christian sermons from Catholics and Protestants.

Praise be to Allah for divine wisdom that he gives ONLY to the Muslims.

:)
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#463103 Jul 17, 2013
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
sure ,
creator doesn't exist for you,you are simple mud,pile of dust, blow small wind and dust doesn't exist anyway
OH now ... don't be belittling mud and dust. Without your god creating Adam and Eve out of those "products," you would not be able to preach about how evil they were when they had sex with the organs that god created.

It brings a tear to my eye.

:)

Location hidden

#463104 Jul 17, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not trying to smear the catholic church.
Your church was smeared hundreds of years before I was born.Get use to it.
Oh...Did you tell those Catholics in real life that? Did you insist to them they are an abortion to the truth? Is this an admission that you are a liar? Its obvious to anyone with an ounce of integrity.
The attacks came from you, you just got a response and your hypcocrisy was responded to.
Ah...You must mean like if you want to know the dark side of Catholicism listen to Dust Storm if you want to be a Christian pass. lol Meanwhile true Christians post inflammatory posts mocking the church and all kinds of rubbish and you calling it an abortion and all the evil Catholics will burn in hell of course as there is nothing inflammatory about that. So anything that is posted whether remotely true, implied or a lie is perfect as long as it slanders Catholics and the church. Good stuff you two have there. I dont think those are Orthodox truths just yours. Im sure you can post your truths on an Orthdox forum to Patriarchs and get no argument. lol
Yeah you are a real piece of art. Anyone with an ounce of integrity knows that you are not honest, objective or truthful. However I am sure you will continue to make your half baked, blind observations and quips about what you think you know. Herme and Sere truths. Good stuff! Nothing ever poisonous from you. Abortion to the truth indeed.
You see I dont recall any Catholic claiming they dont care what is posted about the church. You both made the claim you dont care what people on anonymous forum say. You clearly do nor do you care if the massive slander posted often you actually add your own and then lie and say you didnt. How sad. You attack the church expect a response and dont play poor me its really pathetic.
You would have no problem with me if you would stop your slander and attacks, but you insist that you do not lie, but you clearly do. Sorry.
You hate filled idiot!
This poster is not even a cathaholic.
Get your facts straight before you start spewing your rhetoric...or maybe at least try ta tie yer shoes first!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#463105 Jul 17, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt you even have a clue what happened in 1054 let alone what the two churches signed and agreed upon what transpired. It is a date often used in General terms. Cereleus and Humbert were probably a bad choice to begin with to meet. Humbert didnt excommunicate the whole Orthodox church. The real schism was the 4th Crusade and the Orthodox should also take some responsibility for that and its utter nonsense the Pope arranged it. Pope John Pauls visit to Greece said all that needs to be said about how grudges are held for something that happened long ago.
As a matter of record the Orthodox consented to reunion at Florence. Regardless, I have seen the scholarship of Herme. lol If you wish to trash on our church and ignore others who do it and ignore the many vicious attacks made by Protestants daily and join with the protestants as you have fine. You are hypocrites that is not a name it is a fact. Your church was not attacked, but you attacked ours. Give it a break that apologists are not inundated with the incessant claim of the Orthodox that you have the one true church. Great! Good for you. If you dont believe that Great! However in stating that if the churches united you would stay seperate and maintain the true faith one can only assume that you believe its the one true church. Does that same analogy apply to any Protestants? If you want to argue with just catholics and ignore the venom spewing from Proestants then do so, but then admit that you are purely biased. Both churches confess one holy apostolic church. I believe you are in schism you believe othrwise. So be it. Yes even an inkling of reunion from some Orthodox will bring cries of protest and seperation and heretics.
If you wish to call me a liar for stating what was said by Herme that he doesnt have to listen to Patriarch, God is the head of his church and if they stray he doesnt have to follow them. Well whose to say you wouldnt be the one straying? The Copts, the aremenians, and splinter groups say the same. All the Protestant groups believe they have the truth. Whats the point of having a church if everyone can have their individual truths? I stated I want reunion with truth from the beginning. That was my crime. I did not denegrate the Orthodox I pointed to what your Patriarchs were saying and what was agreed upon. This sent Herme into a tirade who did not look or bother to read. Just as was provided with the divisions of Orthodox from Orthodox who acknowledge your big division and authority issues. You cant hold an ecumenical council because you are not unified. You have Bartholemew and former Alexis of Russia accusing each of the Ceasar popism. Everbody is so busy being equal you cant decide anything even whose in charge. I vote for Herme. lol God is the head of the church but the church has never been a free for all and it was never a poll taken by the individual groups and if you dont agree then your not Orthodox. What was agreed upon at the talks and why was interesting to me. You never had any interest in even knowing. You have nothing left to learn. You know it all. I agree. God Bless those who seek unity in truth with prayer, contemplation and clearing up misconceptions, laguage barriers and sharing documents nver shared. God Bless those who humbled themseleves and agreed to talk, share and seek. The church has her dissedents. However the Orthodox internal issues is no secret. Roca is already divided. Hilarion left the Ravenna conference over interal Orthodox disputes not over what was being discussed.
okie dokie dusty...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#463106 Jul 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
We DON'T pray to her!! She is acknowledged to act as an "intercessor" in prayer and that it all!!
HOJO

I am telling decorated TO MARY.

Maybe you are calling it intercessory prayer now.

But we prayed to her.

we prayed to her

Obviously there are still prayers TO HER

http://catholicism.about.com/od/prayers/qt/Re...

This one asks for her mercy

FROM THE LIST in this page titled

Prayers TO the Virgin Mary

As,I said before ..I personally don't find prayers asking His mother for intercession. TO HER SON..

all that wrong ..probably because I grew up that way.

But Jesus IS TO BE our only intermediary to God .

And another question .

Is heresy something against the actual bible teaching ...or against the Catholic church

Location hidden

#463107 Jul 17, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a huge difference among us, we go to God for confession, you go to man.
He alone is one's healer.
Well YA!

MAN wrote the silly book with all the insane rules in it!

Location hidden

#463108 Jul 17, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Why try to make an argument through devious means. If you have an argument make it. I never said Caths go to hell, I never posted the acrobats, I never said the Cath Church was an abortion. It is intellectually dishonest for you to try to sneak this by.When I speak of the Cath Church it will be thru History and theology. The reason I dont post links is that I may go through 20 different pieces before I post something. I dont just jump to an Ortho site like you jump to a Cath and post what they state.If you want APA style footnotes teach a Masters level class.This is Topix.If you want to question me question me on theology or history, Dont remake history and say I said something and attack that.You are chasing shadows,
That is the "red herring/strawman" approach to arguing when there is no rational option left.
Just so you know.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#463109 Jul 17, 2013
This page SORRY

http://catholicism.about.com/od/prayers/u/Pra...

LST of prayers TO THE VIRGIN MARY.

why deny it???
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#463110 Jul 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
You say we have Sunday as our "pillar of truth"?
I'm not sure what you're saying about that. The Apostle Paul says the Church is the pillar of truth, not a certain day of the week.
Sunday is the day the Lord rose. If Christ is God, then He is allowed to install Sunday..
Look, just observe Saturday if you want. It doesn't affect me in the least. The Catholic, Orthodox and 95% of Protestantland will continue with our Sunday worship like the Apostles taught.
And to answer your first question, Christ doesn't say there has to be a Pope at the top of the Roman Catholic Church. The Apostles had one leader when Christ departed. Peter.
It stands to reason that the next generation of Christians also had one.
35 or so leaders later, this Church installed a Bible to be read at the Holy Mass.
1500 yr later, you guys removed that Bible from the Church and mass and began to design your own Christianity.
40 Apocalyptic false alarms later, you guys are still ticking.
Please leave that reckless cult. Divert your zeal for Christ where it can be productive.
Your church claims to be the pillar of truth and as is obvious, you believe Sunday was instituted by Christ after His resurrection.

It is of worthy notice to know that as Christ was talking about last days events he said;"But pray ye that your flight be not in winter, neither on the SABBATH DAY"-Matthew 24:20, did Christ acknowledge the Sabbath? Absolutely. And he shows that his people will be keeping the Sabbath in the last days. Saturday is the 7th day, the Sabbath of the Lord. Christ say, "And he said to them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: therefore the Son of man is the Lord also of the Sabbath."-Mark 2:27, 28 He doesn't say the Sabbath was for the Jews only, but made for all.

Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?"
Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church in the Council of Laodicea, transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."- Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R, The Converts Catechism of Catholic Doctrine Third Edition.

"There was and is a commandment to keep holy the Sabbath day, but that Sabbath day was not Sunday.

It will be said, however. and with some show of triumph, that the Sabbath was transferred from seventh to the first day of the week... where can the record of such a transaction be found?
Not in the New Testament absolutely not... of course, I quite well know that Sunday did come into use in early Christian history...But what a pity it comes branded with the mark of the sun god, ADOPTED AND SANCTIONED BY THE PAPAL APOSTASY, and bequeathed as secret legacy to Protestantism." - Baptist Dr. Edward T. Hiscox,: A paper read before a New York ministers' conference, Nov. 13, 1893, reported in New York Examiner, Nov. 16, 1893.

The Apostles NEVER taught anyone to keep Sunday holy. That is a Catholic lie inherited by Protestants since the Reformation.

If I am wrong, show me where and as many others have offered, I will give you $1000.

Location hidden

#463111 Jul 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Was He not in the tomb over the SABBATH ..
No, he wasn't.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#463113 Jul 17, 2013
• The Sabbath is mentioned 117 times in the Bible (King James Version)—61 in the Old Testament and 56 in the new. None of these mentions refers to Sunday, the first day of the week, but all to the seventh day of the week (Friday sunset to Saturday sunset).
• The Sabbath is mentioned 45 times in the four Gospels—far more than the number of times it is mentioned in the five books of Moses.
• The Sabbath was made for man, not for any particular group, race or nationality (Mark 2:27).
• Jesus Christ's custom was to keep the Sabbath (Luke 4:16).
• Jesus expected His followers would be keeping the Sabbath at the time of the end (Matthew 24:20).
• Several decades after Christ's death, Luke described the Sabbath as a commandment (Luke 23:56).
• The apostle Paul taught both Jews and gentiles on the Sabbath, never hinting that they didn't need to observe it (Acts 13:42-44; 17:1-4).
• After Christ establishes His Kingdom on earth, "from one Sabbath to another, all flesh shall come to worship" before Him (Isaiah 66:23).
• Out of 117 times the Sabbath is mentioned in the Scriptures, not a single one so much as hints that the Sabbath has been changed to another day or abolished.
• The Bible nowhere gives man authority to change what God has commanded and made holy (Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32).
• Nowhere in the Bible is there a commandment to remember or observe Sunday as the Sabbath.
• God wants the Sabbath to be a delight to mankind (Isaiah 58:13-14). Those who condemn it or criticize its observance obviously have a view that differs from God's.

Location hidden

#463114 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you find it odd that you make this statement:
"Jesus did some of His best work on the Sabbath day, and declared that He was Lord of the Sabbath. He said that man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath was made for man."
and then use "Paul" to support this statement.
Why didn't you or don't you post something from Jesus that explains it?
You do beleive Jesus right?
Only when it is convenient...
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#463115 Jul 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
This page SORRY
http://catholicism.about.com/od/prayers/u/Pra...
LST of prayers TO THE VIRGIN MARY.
why deny it???
All it means is to ask to pray for us and if you were a Catholic then you should know that we believe Saints can hear our prayers. You cant insert your own understanding of what is meant by prayer. In days of old they would say, " I pray thee king." It didnt mean they were praying as in worship its an expression. I ask would be a vernacular expression in English. In believing that God is the God of the lving and not the dead and those in the clouds rejoice when another comes to CHrist. We believe Christ when he said he is the God of the living. Christ didnt wake up Moses and Elijah for a seance. Scripture, tradition and the ancient catechombs where Christians dwelled early in persecution are inscribes Hail Mary pray for us, Peter and paul pray for us. Etc. It is not worship it is a belief they can hear our prayer. If someone is so pure they can enter the gates of heaven then how much more will their prayers be heard if one chooses to believe over the ones in James who says in sickness call upon the presbyter priest and your sins will be forgiven for the prayers of the righteous man are heard.

So prayers to Mary and the Saints is not the dispute its how that is being interpreted as worship. All Glory and Honor goes to God. Honoring the Mother of Jesus a blessed woman is to honor God. One is never to worship anyone but God. We can show honor and respect. We are all called to be Saints,

Location hidden

#463116 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>
...or in "God's days" - one day.....
I think that would be all that Jesus could be able to comprehend if he did come back.
I don't really think so.
He knew where "religion" was headed beforehand...and that was his goal in the first place...to fix the "wrongs".
They killed him for it.
Then proceeded to make a mew mockery of the ancient teachings and ideals.
It is what it is...

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#463117 Jul 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
this is the same old cycle on this forum. You guys start out attacking Purgatory. Then you move to the Papacy. Then Mary, the Eucharist, etc etc.
You base all your arguments on the fact that the 66 Books of the KJV don't explicitly spell out these above teachings in word for word detail.
So I say, you need to prove where Christ or any of His Apostles installed the KJV as the only source of authority on the Ministry of Jesus Christ. Just show where anyone taught sola scripture before the 16th century! You guys read the Bible in a way that is reckless and irresponsible.
Purgatory is indeed Biblical. All Catholic teachings are Biblical. We're sorry if you crowned yourself an authority and claim that Christianity was started AFTER the Books became the Bible, and Christians ran about interpreting it word for word by themselves.
Christ set up a teaching Magisterium to teach without error. That's how we Christians know what truth is. The word of God- both written and oral- is divinely protected by the authority of the Church. That's how Christ clearly set up His Church.
All arguments need to start with sola scripture.
Whadda bout it Clay???? Why is not Christ sending anyone to purgatory??

A. He forget there is a purgatory?
B. No one ever told Him there is a purgatory?
C. There is not purgatory to send any one to?

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Location hidden

#463118 Jul 17, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
I DON'T EXPECT AND INFIDEL SUCH AS YOUR SELF ...THAT CONTENDS AGAINST GOD'S WORD
YOU ARE DEAD TO THE UNDERSTANDING OF THE BIBLE ..
Is that an insult? lol Are you talking to your buddy Herme? Another example of not calling names and being nice? So is just the Protestants, non protestant, catholic or Orthodox with your truth that have any possibility of salvation?
Why Yes!

It appears you are going to hell dear.
<snort>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min Bear Claw 58,756
MESSAGE to Adam Lanza IN HELL 2 hr Sandy Hook 1
paypal/cc to bitcoin carding method 2018 working 4 hr james 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr Big Al 994,009
8 Seconds to Church Street 7 hr Doctor REALITY 13
Malaia Obama: another blind "gold digger" on th... 7 hr Doctor REALITY 1
14 year old boy horny need girls on Snapchat 7 hr Doctor REALITY 3
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 9 hr majority 446,201
More from around the web