Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589269 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Human Being

Iowa, LA

#462656 Jul 16, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
"the Bible....as a best seller"
- this should actually be....
"The Bible - the only book GIVEN TO THE MOST PEOPLE."
One should not have to pay for the Bible.
If you do, then you have partaken in a "profit of of God and Jesus" campaign, placing money as the superior aspect of the transaction.
Religion should not cost anyone anything, but unfortunately, religion spawns greed:
- Religious goods selling
- Manufacturing and the selling of crosses
- Selling bibles
- Selling Eucharist supplies/wafers to churches
- Selling flowers to churches
etc..etc...etc...
The next time you think money isn't heavily involved with religion, just think of the payouts the Catholic Church has made to the victims of child abuse that they cover-up with those settlements.
As I started the post with repeating what seems to be something you like to say openly - "the Bible....as a best seller"
- is completely based in greed.
My suggestion to you - boycott the selling and buying of religious items.
New Age Spiritual Leader:

Electrons are free! Boycott the selling of electrons(electricity) by not paying your electric bill....(smiles)

You are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

So, you better throw out all....In some-way, I am in agreement, but because we are in the world, it is best to acknowledge the world. You want to get rid of the Bible because it costs money....Hmmm. Well, throw out "all the sayings of Jesus"(as you call them) as well.

A rather difficult, if not impossible task, don't you think?

It is better to be discerning what is right and acceptable, and of balance. Greed, even for these is not correct.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#462657 Jul 16, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
If and I am certain that it does occur in some Protestant churches, those that commit these types of crimes are arrested and put in jail, not sent overseas and/or hidden like the Vatican does often.
Not so at all. Many in religions other than Catholicism also covered up for their pastors, rabbis, imams, gurus, et cetera.

Followers often are inhibited by threats from those in power as they are cautioned that if they say anything bad things will happen. Imagination takes over from there, and that is what those in power count on to silence victims.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462658 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The mud is in your brain.
The idea that a god will love you and believe you are even more worthy of heaven if you call women who have abortions "murderers" ... is about as stupid as stupid gets.
You just couldn't keep your cake hole shut could you.

Now show me where I have ever said : god will love you and believe you are even more worthy of heaven if you call women who have abortions "murderers".

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#462659 Jul 16, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to get rid of the Bible because it costs money....Hmmm. Well, throw out "all the sayings of Jesus"(as you call them) as well.
A rather difficult, if not impossible task, don't you think?
When you were an Atheist you threw all value of the bible into the trash can ... so it CAN be done, as you know from experience.

However, it does have to be an individual choice. To throw a book away, or to burn it in order to prevent others from reading it makes it even more alluring than before ... as the popes found out when THEY burned bibles.

Never were bibles so much in demand as when they were forbidden.
Human Being

Iowa, LA

#462660 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Of COURSE you did "Oh self-perceived holy one.
You were the righteous Christian that fought the evil of the devil on earth ... yet without that concept of a devil burning evil souls in hell for eternity in a hereafter ... you can't picture your self as avoiding hell to rise to the GRAND state of HEAVEN.
You are nothing but an ignorant self-ingratiating beast!
June:

Because you don't accept the existence of Satan, you think I am ignorant....(lol)(Try not to believe for me. I am doing fine.)
Human Being

Iowa, LA

#462661 Jul 16, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="hojo"
Thanks for you comments KayMarie, The fact is that sola scriptura does not avoid "wild teachings" contradiction and inconsistencies, regarding doctrine and bible interpretation......... It has only "multiplied and complicated the problem of interpretation..... The thousands and thousands of Protestant conflicting denomination and doctrine of beliefs (since the Reformation) PROVE THIS TO BE THE CASE......... This is exactly why (again) Paul says in I Timothy 3:15 that the CHURCH (bible alone) is the pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH! If there is a contradiction, inconsistency, difference of opinion,or conflict we are told to "take it to the Church"!! Hope things are well with you!!
I'm doing pretty good for an old fossil, thank you. God has blessed me.
I do not believe that Sola Scripture has complicated matters...matters which existed before the compilation of the Bible. If only one 'church' were allowed to exist in this world, that 'matter' would still be a problem.
The CC has been in existence for a long while, but it has not been without internal problems. WHY? Because it is administrated by men...who are in different stages of understanding.
Many Protestant churches are not different at all...just have different names due to location, and/or the families that built them.
Jesus prayed that we might all BE one, not that we might all join one group. I have Christian brothers and sisters (who agree in spirit with me) all over the world. Their churches have different names; some don't baptize in the same way, or have some other minor differences.(Sprinkle, submerge, etc.)
KayMarie
confronting:

KayMarie:

I quite agree.

Most differences, are merely different paths to The Way. Its when we can be humble enough to accept the different paths that we begin to know we are all of the One Body.

An interesting thought. If I could go so far as to give up the physical body(die) in order for another to have eternal life, then why could I not give up my own beliefs, and my old way of thinking....
Human Being

Iowa, LA

#462662 Jul 16, 2013
who="Human Being"
marge:
God's blessing on you....
I had to have a serious talk with God on the issue of "confession" a couple of days ago.
Being raised a non-Catholic, I find it "easier" to go directly to God for confession and repentance. I also know, when God is working with me my penance, and know his forgiveness.... And I go hastily to God for both.
I am a bit reluctant to go to a priest for "confession". But consider it one more of reconciliation with God and believers. In a certain sense it is a ritual, but all things carry this aspect. We tend to "ritualize" our confession to God.
I try to remember James 5:16, when it comes to confession. It is "harder" to do, but we must go to those we have offended and ask forgiveness. It is best to give forgiveness to others before asking God to forgive one's own sins....
Actually, Jesus said that 'if you WILL not forgive (others), My Father WILL NOT forgive you'.
So, if one will not forgive others, they keep their own blessings 'bound up'. Jesus said (NOT just to Peter),'Whatever you bind on earth is bound in heaven'. Those who keep others 'bound' by their unforgiveness' are themselves 'bound'.
Jesus said to 'agree quickly with your adversary', because when you appear in court the judge will "throw the book at you".
Want to STAND in God's presence INNOCENT and forgiven? Then forgive others, and settle the matter BEFORE THE JUDGE has to do the job.
KayMarie
confronting

KayMarie:

Quite true....

I had not looked at that scripture in the way you describe before, but I agree....

I put it in my understanding of "Judge not, lest ye be judged." It is something one knows inherently as a Christian, but needs constantly to be reminded, and practice it, as our natural tendency due to the gross senses is inclined to "judge" and "bind"....
Human Being

Iowa, LA

#462663 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
According to KayMarie ... God overlooked all those other people in all the other religions through the eons of time ... specifically to call Kaymarie to his service to preach the one and only truth EVER known to humanity.
And KayMarie doesn't recognize that statement is based on arrogance.
"I was blind but now I see" were words written by a Christian with the same self-righteous attitude as KayMarie, Robert F and all these other preachers of Christianity.
Yet they don't agree that each other will be "saved."
June:

LOL.... What a vain imagination you have!

It is sooooooo opposite.

Faith is not a submission of/to understanding. Rather understanding is a matter of faith.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#462664 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so at all. Many in religions other than Catholicism also covered up for their pastors, rabbis, imams, gurus, et cetera.
Followers often are inhibited by threats from those in power as they are cautioned that if they say anything bad things will happen. Imagination takes over from there, and that is what those in power count on to silence victims.
Thank you. Yes they did and they still do in alot of areas in society secular or religious. People in authority do abuse it. The sooner people stop pointing fingers at one another or trying to single out an organization the better. Its discusting wherever it is. The implication that no one but Catholics covered anything up is bunk.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#462665 Jul 16, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Sexual Abuse of Minors in Protestant Churches
Published June 24, 2007
FOX Fan
E-mail Father Jonathan
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/06/24/sexua...
and the author of this report is a Catholic. convinced me.lol
Would insurance companies,even give out information in their clients.

I am sure abuse occurs in any place where adults,are in authority ..including homes..And even some cults c claiming to be Christian.

But something about that report rings less. Than truthful ..imo.

Fir one thing the settings in Protestant churches tend to be more group oriented ..

But hey..even one case is too many in ANY setting. Imo

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#462666 Jul 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Should I decide to want a new Bible to keep or give for a gift.
Sorry nit going to steal it or print it myself ..
Sane with a Cross as a gift..
Unfortunately the sold my local Christian store I loved to browse in.
So I must use Amazon...they are real funny like that about wanting to be paid
I understand. You don't mind people profitting off of Jesus and "God".

You rightfully deserve to be part of Christianity.
Human Being

Iowa, LA

#462667 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
I just found out that a most kind and gentle man committed suicide.
He was a wonderful husband and a wonderful father to his children, with no financial difficulties, no health problems, didn't suffer from depression, loved the outdoors, skiing, et cetera ... had no enemies whatsoever ... yet he left others behind to always wonder why.
From my perception he cared too much about helping others and in so doing, way over-extended his self.
June:

That is a very sad (story)/life.

It can happen that one extends themselves to far, and loses sight of hope in living.

I would hope that it might show you, that living is empty without God....

Albuquerque, NM

#462668 Jul 16, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>sorry to have disappoint you.Would an invite to dinner make up for it.
You did.

And no - I would perfer you to invite a homeless person, or your local firefighters, or some kids from the local orphanage - in for the evening instead.

That way, you can make it worth your while, all the while doing something constructive and helpful towards another.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#462669 Jul 16, 2013
who="Hermeneutics Smutics" Confronting and Kaye Marie and the rest have found a place in our hearts through their Christian love.It is Christ's love and it surpasses your dogma.

Thank you. It is a privilege to offer some of the GREAT LOVE HE has shown to me to others. You, Preston, Marge, LTM and others.

It is also a privilege to love those who are 'different'. Hojo, Clay, Dust Storm: not to leave anyone out...just don't remember all the names at the moment. Yes, that means you, too, June.

I pray that NO ONE is lost. Topix is my online 'family', and I pray that all of you come to know Him better.

Love is not just a warm feeling for those who we favor; it is having the same mind for others that God has for us. He declared in Jeremiah, "...I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place.
Jer 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, THOUGHTS OF PEACE, AND NOT OF EVIL, to give you an expected end.

Jesus is often called "The Friend of Sinners". May we be like Him.

KayMarie

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#462670 Jul 16, 2013
A Salute to Our Troops
This is a salute to all military active and retired. Thank you for your services worldwide. You are not forgotten! And lets not forget their spouses whose job was just as hard when their love ones are forward deployed overseas 6, 8, 12 months at a time.
I want to thank Staged.com for allowing me to share the above video from Justin Flom with you. I had no idea I would get such a response and great comments.
Al Fanucchi Jr
US Navy SMC(SW)(Retired) alfanucchijr@yahoo.com
Founder, PerfectFreeBusiness.com , SIDEjob.com
P.S. The story below was so awesome I just had to share.
'Will You Give This to My Daddy?'
Last week I was in Atlanta, Georgia attending a conference. While I was in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning to clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the greatest acts of patriotism I have ever seen.
Moving thru the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camos. As they began heading to their gate, everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering.
When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for, it hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red-blooded American who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.
Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so we can go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal.
Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our service men and women, a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old ran up to one of the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said 'hi...'
The little girl then asked him if he would give something to her daddy for her...
The young soldier, who didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he would try and what did she want to give to her daddy. Then suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.
The mother of the little girl, who said her daughter's name was Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and had been in Iraq for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her daughter Courtney missed her father, the young soldier began to tear up.
When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second... Then one of the other servicemen pulled out a military-looking walkie-talkie. They started playing with the device and talking back and forth on it..
After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to Courtney, bent down and said this to her,'I spoke to your daddy and he told me to give this to you.' He then hugged this little girl that he had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying 'your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and he is coming home very soon.'
The mom at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the young soldier stood to his feet, he saluted Courtney and her mom. I was standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire event.
As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people resumed their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, there were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in one last act of selflessness turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.
Hankie time!!!

DEAR FATHER IN HEAVEN

,lay your precious,love on our soldiers and their families.

Please Lord keep these,young men and women safe from all harm.

Grant ovEr to the ones they have left behind.

In Jesus,name we ask you..

And please Grant love and peace to all here..those who know you. And Grant live and discernment to those who do not know You.

Amen

Albuquerque, NM

#462671 Jul 16, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
GOD DON'T SEND ANY ONE TO HELL...THEY MAKE THE OWN CHOICE TO GO THERE themselves...JUST AS YOU HAVE..and defend you choice against freedom...
You are the one that has chosen to receive eternal punishment as apposed to believing upon the Lord Jesus Christ, and entering in to His rest..
You alone have decided the fate of your soul...
You have been expose to The Love of God and evidently have chosen to rail upon Him...for some insane reason..
You will have hell pay and no on but you will be responsible for what you have opted to do.
Do you know of anyone who has died, gone to "hell" and then came back to express their visit?

Do you know of anyone who has died, gone to "heaven" and then came back to express theri visit?

If you are honest, you will answer "no" to both.

Thus, you really are only making up a theory on what happens to the human soul.....and that is if there is even a soul to do this journey.

Why do you try to mislead others with false accounts?

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#462672 Jul 16, 2013
who="Hermeneutics Smutics" Confronting and Kaye Marie and the rest have found a place in our hearts through their Christian love.It is Christ's love and it surpasses your dogma.
Thank you. It is a privilege to offer some of the GREAT LOVE HE has shown to me to others. You, Preston, Marge, LTM and others.
It is also a privilege to love those who are 'different'. Hojo, Clay, Dust Storm: not to leave anyone out...just don't remember all the names at the moment. Yes, that means you, too, June.
I pray that NO ONE is lost. Topix is my online 'family', and I pray that all of you come to know Him better.
Love is not just a warm feeling for those who we favor; it is having the same mind for others that God has for us. He declared in Jeremiah, "...I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place.
Jer 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, THOUGHTS OF PEACE, AND NOT OF EVIL, to give you an expected end.
Jesus is often called "The Friend of Sinners". May we be like Him.
KayMarie
Amen

Albuquerque, NM

#462673 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
OH I SEE! So you are choosing to go to Muslim hell HUH???
Nice PLAY!!!
:)
Is there a difference?

If the Muslim heaven has 72 virgins, does that mean the Muslim hell is 72 prostitutes?

;o)
Human Being

Iowa, LA

#462674 Jul 16, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Jealous of hermi's friendship with confronting? Look in the mirror before judging others with your PERSONAL attacks..in fact I do believe that's what this isreally all about.You catholics are jealous of the friendship that hermi and I have with the protestants here. Its not really the attacks to your church.Thats the excuse you make but the really truth is JEALOUSY..they don't attack us because we respect them.We know what they believe about certain things in our church like icons etc.We do not take it personally nor have the need to defend our belief.Thats what an open dialog is all about.its not about bullying name calling and p---ing in the wind about my church is better than your church.There are faults in all of MANS doings.
Seraphima:

Jealousy is a passion.

In a more faithful and intellectual approach, I try to be more aniconistic in my expectations. In other words, when I approach someone in matters of faith, I don't push, hold, and apply my icons(beliefs) on another person. I go into a discussion with letting another person have the set of beliefs they feel most comfortable with. If they seem contrary to Christian beliefs, I try to gently point this out. It is their own conscience which will convict..., not me.

Most often I feel on a forum like this people often decode the meaning and intent incorrectly of the writer. I am sure, if we all met in person, we would gain new insight, and better understand each other....
Clay

United States

#462675 Jul 16, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>The point is that there are no reliable studies and I stress reliable. Do you realize the difficulty of doing a study of sexual abuse in a Church??? I am not going to specify all the factors that would have to be clarified including such things as ratio of incidence to reporting, access to records, unreported cases, definition of abuse, who are the investigators, who are the reporters, etc etc etc I said it is my belief. I dont have a study. Yours is a belief as well.
If there are 'no reliable studies" as you said above, then why on Earth would you imply its more rampant in the CC than other churches?
Are you just guessing?

Btw, there are independent reliable studies. One is the Jon Jay report that the Catholic Church asked to get involved. The Church was very interested in getting to the bottom of the crisis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min It aint necessari... 836,912
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min waaasssuuup 4,060
Women Drivers (Apr '08) 11 min Women are mean 19
Israel End is Near 16 min Someone 106
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 37 min -TheExam- 1,423
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 38 min Clearwater 176,746
Mark Fuhrman PLANTED the glove @ Simpson's estate 1 hr BenAdam 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Porkpie Hat 271,244
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 4 hr Naveen kumar 7,154
More from around the web