Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646307 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462862 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So everybody is saved no matter what?
I really have no clue what you're asking.

All I know is this:
Christ's sacrifice was enough for our sins.
Isaiah 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his wounds we are healed.

Contradicts this:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven," which is experienced by those "who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified" (CCC 1030). It notes that "this final purification of the elect ... is entirely different from the punishment of the damned" (CCC 1031)

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#462863 Jul 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
It called "intercessory prayer". We do not now, nor have ever "prayed to Mary" which you have been told over and over again. YOU ARE THE ONE, Confrinting that keeps distorting the truth of what the Catholic Church believes and teaches by just "making things up"! You false attacks are better know as just plain ---"lying"
Mary is dead...

Dead to the things that transpire in-about-through-pertaining to-

the earth...

She Don't know that any of you Catholics exist..

You are the one that is deceived...

When Mary obtains immortality ... redemption of her body

(that her dust is somewhere in a tomb on the earth .)

Her redeemed body will be united (with her spirit) that is now with God...

~~~
Rom 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Rom 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

Rom 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462865 Jul 17, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics never understood the conciliar and collegial nature of the structure of the Orthodox Church. When I have time I will try to explain it again.The Ortho Church is bot monarchal. Neither was the Original Church. The Original Church was collegial and conciliar and grew organically. The Catholic Church changed the structure.Study the influx of the Visigoths, Odtrogoths, Lombards and particularly the Franks to understand how the Catholic Church changed the structure and the Popes became secular world powers.The Frankish Church.If the Catholic Church has better organization with one head, the Pope, then he is ultimately responsible for all the sexual abuse scandals since his being head means the Church is better control-right? With authority comes responsibility.History and organizational philosophy disputes the old corporate philosophy that centralization is the best organizational approach. Study philosophies of corporate organization.Decades ago corporations decided that deventralization is preferred. In fact the monarchal, archaic structure of the Catholic Church is a major factor inits problems, particularly the sexual abuse sandals.
This is by an Orthodox writer.

So you're saying the Orthodox understand the West, but the West doesn't understand the Orthodox? I suggest there are misconceptions on both sides.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#462866 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
This post is not intended to slam the Orthodox Church, nor to question the truth of her teachings, impugn the integrity and holiness of faithful Orthodox priests and bishops or question the sincerity of the Orthodox faithful. It's sole purpose is to present a perspective from an Orthodox family and to shed light on the organizational issues in the OCA.
"Un-Orthodox Behavior"
Catholicism isn't the only religion with sexual abuse scandals. Three S.F. women are working to expose cases within the Orthodox Church.
By Mark Athitakis Wednesday, May 22 2002
"For years, Vrionis preached at a church he had founded in Queens, a fact that reveals an odd wrinkle in Orthodoxy. Simply put, Vrionis had no business being a priest. In 1970, he was convicted for sexually abusing two other 14-year-old boys while a priest at a Greek Orthodox church. The Greek church defrocked him, Vrionis served his sentence (a small fine and 23 months' probation), and that should have been the end of his ecclesiastical career. But a diligent Orthodox priest can do unusual things. A priest removed from the Catholic Church can't start a maverick Catholic diocese, at least not credibly. But Orthodox priests with questionable backgrounds have routinely launched their own churches and attracted flocks. And when something goes wrong, as it has, assigning blame is an open question.
----------
Anthony, Anyone an start a church, from any denomination. If this man is not with the Orthodox Bishops and in concilarity with the bishops, the Patriarchs, the Ecumenical Patriarchs, and the other Orthodox Churches, then he is not Orthodox, his church is not Orthodox and the Orthodox have no control whatsoever over him. So how does this reflect on the Ortho Church. Also did you know that for a Bishop to be in the Catholic hurh all he has to do is be within succession. The Orthodox Church is different. The Bishop must be in succession and in line with the other Churches , Bishops, Priest, etc in faith or he is no longer a bishop.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462867 Jul 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I really have no clue what you're asking.
All I know is this:
and with his wounds we are healed.
Contradicts this:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven," which is experienced by those "who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified" (CCC 1030). It notes that "this final purification of the elect ... is entirely different from the punishment of the damned" (CCC 1031)
It's not contradictory at all.

If Christ's sacrifice took care of all sins, and nothing more need be done by us, why don't you believe everyone is automatically saved no matter what?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462868 Jul 17, 2013
Catholic lie from the pit of Hell- defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven

Purification - the act of cleaning by getting rid of impurities

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the BLOOD OF JESUS his Son CLEANSES us from all sin

Revelation 1:5 and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth.
To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins BY HIS BLOOD

Location hidden

#462869 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
This post is not intended to slam the Orthodox Church, nor to question the truth of her teachings, impugn the integrity and holiness of faithful Orthodox priests and bishops or question the sincerity of the Orthodox faithful. It's sole purpose is to present a perspective from an Orthodox family and to shed light on the organizational issues in the OCA.
"Un-Orthodox Behavior"

"For years, Vrionis preached at a church he had founded in Queens, a fact that reveals an odd wrinkle in Orthodoxy. Simply put, Vrionis had no business being a priest. In 1970, he was convicted for sexually abusing two other 14-year-old boys while a priest at a Greek Orthodox church. The Greek church defrocked him, Vrionis served his sentence (a small fine and 23 months' probation), and that should have been the end of his ecclesiastical career. But a diligent Orthodox priest can do unusual things. A priest removed from the Catholic Church can't start a maverick Catholic diocese, at least not credibly. But Orthodox priests with questionable backgrounds have routinely launched their own churches and attracted flocks. And when something goes wrong, as it has, assigning blame is an open question.
----------
edited for space (sorry)
http://www.sfweekly.com/2002-05-22/news/un-or...
Anthony. This is not the fault of the Cath Church any more that the guy in your post is the fault of the Ortho Church.(see my other post)
An article in the Charlotte Observer, on a former Catholic priest who has started his own religious congregation, illustrates the dangers of relying on religious reporting from secular outlets.
Tom Sanford, who left the priesthood “more than a quarter-century ago,” recently decided to open his own church, to welcome Catholics who are unhappy with recent changes in the Church.
The Observer story explained:“The final straw came early this year: the church’s decision to reinstate the original 1963 English translation of the Mass.” That single sentence contains several noteworthy errors:
The new translation of the Mass was introduced late in 2011, at the beginning of Advent, not early this year.
The current translation is new; it does not “reinstate” the older translation, but corrects and replaces it.
The previous translation dates back to 1973, not 1963.
Perhaps the reporter intended to refer to the 1962 Missal. But in that Roman Missal the Mass was in Latin, not in an official English translation.
The story continues to misinform readers by saying that the ceremony performed by Tom Sanford is not a Mass. Since he is an ordained priest, the ceremony is in all probability valid, albeit illicit. A spokesman for the Charlotte diocese explains that it is seriously wrong for a Catholic to “knowingly go to a Mass that’s celebrated by someone who doesn’t have the authority.”
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462870 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>Anthony, Anyone an start a church, from any denomination. If this man is not with the Orthodox Bishops and in concilarity with the bishops, the Patriarchs, the Ecumenical Patriarchs, and the other Orthodox Churches, then he is not Orthodox, his church is not Orthodox and the Orthodox have no control whatsoever over him. So how does this reflect on the Ortho Church. Also did you know that for a Bishop to be in the Catholic hurh all he has to do is be within succession. The Orthodox Church is different. The Bishop must be in succession and in line with the other Churches , Bishops, Priest, etc in faith or he is no longer a bishop.
No Catholic priest or bishop can start their own Catholic Church. Please note this is by an Orthodox writer getting his information from an Orthodox family.

Location hidden

#462871 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying the Orthodox understand the West, but the West doesn't understand the Orthodox? I suggest there are misconceptions on both sides.
Anthony This is not from a site. I wrote this myself.

Location hidden

#462872 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100000000000% my friend

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#462873 Jul 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for you comment Seraphima. Lets put it this way!! I am in need of Gods forgiveness and Grace and confession each and every day, as a sinner just like every other Christian. Just because I profess Jesus Christ every day, acknowledging and worshiping Him in His One (and only one) True Catholic Church doesn't make out to be a arrogant, prideful, or any better of a person than you or anyone else (just because you don't agree) If there is any pride, it is not meant to be in me but in the fact that (I take pride) in knowing that the Church that Jesus formed, initiated and established is "in fact" His One True Church---not the only Church---but His One True Catholic Church. God's Blessing to you!!!
Pride is a sin period no matter where you use it.Someone who is secure in there faith and knows 100 percent sure that theie church is the True Church, doesn't need to brag.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#462874 Jul 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The last part of that prayer was left out!......... "PRAY FOR US, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ"
I purposely used a CATHOLic site

I can't help it if at times the other verses are used now and at times they were not.

Don't get upset wITH me about it.

We prayed to Mary

We crowned fer with blossoms

Our school had a grotto for just that purpose .

It was very pretty.

Location hidden

#462875 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No Catholic priest or bishop can start their own Catholic Church. Please note this is by an Orthodox writer getting his information from an Orthodox family.
see my post re Catholic Priest who did that. The point it would not be a Catholic church. Neither would the ex defrocked Ortho Priest's church be an Ortho Church. An Orthodox priest cannot just start his own Orthodox Church. That is absurd.

Location hidden

#462876 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Read my post again. I think you missed the main point. An Ortho priest cannot be defrocked and start his own Ortho church. He an start a church just like the Catholic priest I cited. But it would not be an Orthodox Church. Neither would the Catholic priest's church be a Catholic church. You are missing something here Anthony and I ant quite grasp it.

Location hidden

#462877 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like Storm quotes 1 Ortho Bishop? I really dont need to post some comments against the Cath Church by Cath writers.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#462878 Jul 17, 2013
Clay

Garden City, MI

#462879 Jul 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven," which is experienced by those "who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified" (CCC 1030). It notes that "this final purification of the elect ... is entirely different from the punishment of the damned" (CCC 1031).----A catholic lie from the pit of Hell.
and with his wounds we are healed
You better hope God views you as a honorary authority to make that call. From what it looks like, you're just reading the Bible in your own mindset.
You're simply snatching the Bible from the Church that installed it. Then you're putting a false label on it; removing the Church; and using the Books to undo the authority of the Church.(that sounds like a coup orchestrated by Satan)

Purgatory is Biblical. If you demand it be spelled out in detail for the average Chuck to comprehend, could you provide book, chapter and verse where Jesus Christ teaches that His Ministry is spelled out in word for word detail and the Books of 5 of His Apostles are the only authority He wishes for Christianity??

lol. Have a pleasant day Chuck. I look forward to your diversion.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462880 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>Anthony. This is not the fault of the Cath Church any more that the guy in your post is the fault of the Ortho Church.(see my other post)
An article in the Charlotte Observer, on a former Catholic priest who has started his own religious congregation, illustrates the dangers of relying on religious reporting from secular outlets.
Tom Sanford, who left the priesthood “more than a quarter-century ago,” recently decided to open his own church, to welcome Catholics who are unhappy with recent changes in the Church.
The Observer story explained:“The final straw came early this year: the church’s decision to reinstate the original 1963 English translation of the Mass.” That single sentence contains several noteworthy errors:
The new translation of the Mass was introduced late in 2011, at the beginning of Advent, not early this year.
The current translation is new; it does not “reinstate” the older translation, but corrects and replaces it.
The previous translation dates back to 1973, not 1963.
Perhaps the reporter intended to refer to the 1962 Missal. But in that Roman Missal the Mass was in Latin, not in an official English translation.
The story continues to misinform readers by saying that the ceremony performed by Tom Sanford is not a Mass. Since he is an ordained priest, the ceremony is in all probability valid, albeit illicit. A spokesman for the Charlotte diocese explains that it is seriously wrong for a Catholic to “knowingly go to a Mass that’s celebrated by someone who doesn’t have the authority.”
Dioceses do not cross "lines". One bishop is in charge of each diocese. A priest can't start a new "Catholic" Church in a diocese outside of where his bishop is without the consent from the bishop and the bishop who's diocese he's going to. From what I understand, Orthodox bishops have jurisdictions crossing lines all the time. This would explain a rogue priest being ok'd to start up with another bishop from a different Orthodox Church without knowing about previous abuse problems.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462881 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>see my post re Catholic Priest who did that. The point it would not be a Catholic church. Neither would the ex defrocked Ortho Priest's church be an Ortho Church. An Orthodox priest cannot just start his own Orthodox Church. That is absurd.
He can under a different bishop from a different Orthodox tradition according to the writer.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462882 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>Just like Storm quotes 1 Ortho Bishop? I really dont need to post some comments against the Cath Church by Cath writers.
You will find very few Catholic writers who are in good standing with the Church who will say the things about the heirarchy that this Orthodox said about his heirarchy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min VIKING 971,548
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Bongo 47,749
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 53 min Classic 3,674
how long after taking the Vivitrol shot can i f... (Nov '12) 1 hr Baby-j2cra 164
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,004
Ladies, what is the sexual act you most enjoy? 1 hr Mustang GT Girl 4
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr X Pendable 182,614
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 hr oneear69 38,711
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 hr Ficken Facts 105,566
More from around the web