Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 591284 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#462635 Jul 16, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I am neither catholic nor do I belong to the SBC. my beliefs are that of a definite SECOND WORK of GRACE, and which is that of the Holiness Movement, which follows a very close Walk with the Lord.
WOW!!! No wonder you are so impressed with your self.

That's quite a mouthful! It's almost a sermon within a sermon.

:)
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462636 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish the situations in the lives of women were such that they didn't feel compelled TO have abortions.
But since they do feel compelled to have abortions for their own personal reasons, I want the clinics to stay open so they don't have a desperate need to perform the abortions on their selves, et cetera.
Is that more clear to you?
as mud
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#462637 Jul 16, 2013
"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday.

The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctified." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73

"If protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath Day.

In keeping the Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church." Albert Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the cardinal in a letter of Feb. 10, 1920.

Question: "Have you not any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?"

Answer: "Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her - she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority" Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism 3rd ed. p. 174

"Question: How prove you that the Church hath power to command feasts and holydays?

Answer: By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of; and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same Church." Henry Tuberville, An Abridgment of the Christian Doctrine (1833 approbation), p.58 (Same statement in Manual of Christian Doctrine, ed. by Daniel Ferris [1916 ed.], p.67)

"The Catholic Church,... by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday." The Catholic Mirror, official organ of Cardinal Gibbons, Sept. 23, 1893.

1. Is Saturday the 7th day according to the Bible and the 10 Commandments?

I answer yes.

2. Is Sunday the first day of the week and did the Church change the 7th day, Saturday, for Sunday, the 1st day?

I answer yes.

3. Did Christ change the day?

I answer no! Faithfully yours,

J. Cardinal Gibbons" Gibbons' autograph letter.

Some theologians have held that God likewise directly determined the Sunday as the day of worship in the NEW LAW, that he himself has explicitly substituted sunday for the Sabbath.

But this theory is entirely abandoned.

It is now commonly held that God simply gave His church the power to set aside whatever day or days she would deem suitable as holy days.

The church chose sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days as holy days." John Laux A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Academies 1936, vol.1 p.51

Question: Which is the Sabbath day?

Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?

Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemity from Saturday to Sunday." Peter Geiermann, The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1946 ed.), p.50. Geiermann received the "apostolic blessing" of Pope Pius X on his labors, January 25, 1910.

The Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of the divine, infallible authority given to her by her Founder, Jesus Christ.

The Protestant, claiming the Bible to be the only guide of faith, has no warrant for observing Sunday.

In this matter the Seventh Day Adventist is the only consistent Protestant. The Catholic Universe Bulletin, Aug. 14, 1942, p.4

The observance of Sunday by the Protestants is an homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the [Catholic] church." Monsignor Louis Segur, Plain Talk About the Protestantism of Today (1868), p. 213

http://www.remnantofgod.org/sabhist.htm#2

Just to clarify some facts.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#462638 Jul 16, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I will pray for you. Far from jealous, but your hypocrisy and lies were noted and proven long ago. So are you an infidel or not? Have you checked with the confrinters? Are you dead to the truth or is that just Catholics? Or do select Orthodox get a Gif pass?
Your jealous is quite obvious....if you show respect you can have a protestant friend also.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#462640 Jul 16, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I will pray for you. Far from jealous, but your hypocrisy and lies were noted and proven long ago. So are you an infidel or not? Have you checked with the confrinters? Are you dead to the truth or is that just Catholics? Or do select Orthodox get a Gif pass?
As an Orthodox and a Christian I would be far more of a hypocrite and infidel to have a friendship with someone who consistently tries to hurt people with verbal abuse, misquotes, rewriting history and poisonous comments.I can be a friend who believes differently. cannot be a friend of an abuser.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#462641 Jul 16, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I ask that you pray for yourself first before me..
Clay

United States

#462642 Jul 16, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I worked with victims and offenders for 22 years.I have done abuse investigations. I have dealt with institutional and family cover ups. I have dealt with institutions with wonderful anti-sexual abuse policies that few followed and the hierarchy devised to protect themselves.Deal with that for 22 years and then tell me my caution is reckless. I did not sat I believed the sexual abuse is worse in the Cath than Ortho Church. I said it is worse than other Churches.You think you know about sexual abuse in institutions? You think you know about policies and cover ups? How many offenders have you dealt with? ow many institutions? How many victims? Also I never ever defended abuse in the Orthio Church by referring to the Cath Church. That's your and Storm's practice.Is there no shame in misquoting and rewriting history?
But there is no data that shows its more of an issue in the Catholic Church than any other group.
That was our point.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#462643 Jul 16, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~

SINCE YOU HAVE INCLUDED INCLUDED (the confrinters?) IN YOUR ACCUSATION AGAINST THESE FRIENDS OF OURS THAT ARE ORTHODOX...

IN FORMER POST HERMI HAS made it quite clear that we did not agree on many things...

But

Hermi and his wife have shone Christians attributes.

That prove they are Christians..

THEY SHOW .ATTRIBUTES THAT NO ROMAN CATHOLICS HERE HAVE MANIFESTED....

NO ROMAN CATHOLIC HERE HAS EVER AGREED TO DISAGREE...

BUT THIS ORTHODOX COUPLE HAVE AND I RESPECT THEM WHERE I DO NOT RESPECT

YOU...

YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS SHOW RESPECT FOR HOMOSEXUAL PRIEST...FOR OTHERS PAGAN

RELIGION AND OTHER NON CHRISTIAN GROUPS...

BUT YOU HATE EVANGELICALS WITH A PASSION.

THAT TO ME IS THE LOVE OF GOD.
Clay

United States

#462644 Jul 16, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>No WRONG! Unless you live in my brain or my heart you can not say what I meant.I STAND BY WHAT I SAY...
Maybe you can settle it once and for all. Do you believe the "Bride of Franenstein" as you call us, has more sexual abuse then other religions, including the Orthodox Churches? If yes, why?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#462645 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW!!! No wonder you are so impressed with your self.
That's quite a mouthful! It's almost a sermon within a sermon.
:)
I am not ASHAMED to admit that I want to have a close relationship with my Lord.

after all, I am not Robert.

Location hidden

#462646 Jul 16, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
But there is no data that shows its more of an issue in the Catholic Church than any other group.
That was our point.
The point is that there are no reliable studies and I stress reliable. Do you realize the difficulty of doing a study of sexual abuse in a Church??? I am not going to specify all the factors that would have to be clarified including such things as ratio of incidence to reporting, access to records, unreported cases, definition of abuse, who are the investigators, who are the reporters, etc etc etc I said it is my belief. I dont have a study. Yours is a belief as well.

#462647 Jul 16, 2013
CORRECTION OF THIS POST
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
SINCE YOU HAVE INCLUDED INCLUDED (the confrinters?) IN YOUR ACCUSATION AGAINST THESE FRIENDS OF OURS THAT ARE ORTHODOX...
IN FORMER POST HERMI HAS made it quite clear that we did not agree on many things...
But
YOU...
~~~

CORRECTION ...TO THE ABOVE POST..

THAT TO ME IS NOT THE LOVE OF GOD.

~~~~
know this

I will continue to point out the errors of the Roman Catholic Church as

I have since 2007...whether you agree with me or not...

Location hidden

#462648 Jul 16, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you can settle it once and for all. Do you believe the "Bride of Franenstein" as you call us, has more sexual abuse then other religions, including the Orthodox Churches? If yes, why?
See my post. Read my post. Go in peace.It has been explained many many times.

Location hidden

#462649 Jul 16, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
But
YOU...
Confronting and Kaye Marie and the rest have found a place in our hearts through their Christian love.It is Christ's love and it surpasses your dogma.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#462650 Jul 16, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
This isn't even a coherent statement. You Roman Catholics in caps. lol Show respect for homosexual priest? Are you saying the church approves of homosexuality? It clearly does not. Pagans? I dont even know where you are attempting to go with that one.

As for hating Evangelicals with a passion no just rabid foaming at the mouth ones who attack incessantly with nonsense and show no respect and pass out going the hell cards at will and who show a profound ignorance of history or any willingness at all to learn anything or know anything about that which you attack.

So let me get this straight. If you decide to respect someone because they join in on attacks regardless of their belief they get a get to heaven pass? So you selectively apply your beliefs as condemnation only applies to those who say something. Selective hypocrisy. Good stuff! I want to know if the Idol and Mary worshipping Orthodox people who pray to dead people are going to heaven or not or is it just all Catholics and some Orthodox?

Location hidden

#462651 Jul 16, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Sexual Abuse of Minors in Protestant Churches

Published June 24, 2007
FOX Fan

E-mail Father Jonathan

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/06/24/sexua...

and the author of this report is a Catholic. convinced me.lol

Location hidden

#462652 Jul 16, 2013
this jonathan uses a pastor who had sex with a15 y/o GIRL not a rapine of a little boy.

then he goes on to talk about a JW and not one Christian would ever claim that that church is a Christian church. it is a cult and will be judged accordingly.

If and I am certain that it does occur in some Protestant churches, those that commit these types of crimes are arrested and put in jail, not sent overseas and/or hidden like the Vatican does often.

Location hidden

#462653 Jul 16, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't even a coherent statement. You Roman Catholics in caps. lol Show respect for homosexual priest? Are you saying the church approves of homosexuality? It clearly does not. Pagans? I dont even know where you are attempting to go with that one.
As for hating Evangelicals with a passion no just rabid foaming at the mouth ones who attack incessantly with nonsense and show no respect and pass out going the hell cards at will and who show a profound ignorance of history or any willingness at all to learn anything or know anything about that which you attack.
So let me get this straight. If you decide to respect someone because they join in on attacks regardless of their belief they get a get to heaven pass? So you selectively apply your beliefs as condemnation only applies to those who say something. Selective hypocrisy. Good stuff! I want to know if the Idol and Mary worshipping Orthodox people who pray to dead people are going to heaven or not or is it just all Catholics and some Orthodox?
"So let me get this straight. If you decide to respect someone because they join in on attacks" He did not say that. At least wait a couple pages before you misquote.

Also "selectively apply your beliefs as condemnation only applies to those who say something". He clearly said that we have said something and we agree to disagree. Again is there no shame in misquoting and rewriting history?

#462654 Jul 16, 2013
A Salute to Our Troops

This is a salute to all military active and retired. Thank you for your services worldwide. You are not forgotten! And lets not forget their spouses whose job was just as hard when their love ones are forward deployed overseas 6, 8, 12 months at a time.

I want to thank Staged.com for allowing me to share the above video from Justin Flom with you. I had no idea I would get such a response and great comments.

Al Fanucchi Jr
US Navy SMC(SW)(Retired) alfanucchijr@yahoo.com
Founder, PerfectFreeBusiness.com , SIDEjob.com

P.S. The story below was so awesome I just had to share.

'Will You Give This to My Daddy?'

Last week I was in Atlanta, Georgia attending a conference. While I was in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning to clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the greatest acts of patriotism I have ever seen.

Moving thru the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camos. As they began heading to their gate, everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering.

When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for, it hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red-blooded American who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so we can go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal.

Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our service men and women, a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old ran up to one of the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said 'hi...'

The little girl then asked him if he would give something to her daddy for her...

The young soldier, who didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he would try and what did she want to give to her daddy. Then suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little girl, who said her daughter's name was Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and had been in Iraq for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her daughter Courtney missed her father, the young soldier began to tear up.

When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second... Then one of the other servicemen pulled out a military-looking walkie-talkie. They started playing with the device and talking back and forth on it..

After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to Courtney, bent down and said this to her,'I spoke to your daddy and he told me to give this to you.' He then hugged this little girl that he had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying 'your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and he is coming home very soon.'

The mom at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the young soldier stood to his feet, he saluted Courtney and her mom. I was standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire event.

As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people resumed their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, there were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in one last act of selflessness turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#462655 Jul 16, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
as mud
The mud is in your brain.

The idea that a god will love you and believe you are even more worthy of heaven if you call women who have abortions "murderers" ... is about as stupid as stupid gets.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min waaasssuuup 841,360
Mark Fuhrman PLANTED the glove @ Simpson's estate 6 min Johnny 44
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min RFD 4,753
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 min Just Think 100,185
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 12 min WasteWater 2,488
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 29 min WasteWater 5,934
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 36 min WasteWater 271,452
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 39 min waaasssuuup 612,271
More from around the web