Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#461347 Jul 12, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in "spirituality" as that term infers the existence of a deity.
Okay - to each his/her own.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer to use the term emotion, as all animals feel emotion.
When I was in religion I would look at a beautiful sunset and equate the sunset to a creation of god.
Spirituality to me, brings more depth into defining emotions.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that I am not in religion, I equate the beautiful sunset to nature.
I've always equated the Sun to nature.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Both opinions moved and move me in my emotional highs that the sunset was/is indeed beautiful.
Okay.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Self changes with new ways of perceiving.
Of course it days. As information is learned, perceptions will change, unless one refuses to acknowledge those pertinent changes, then that person will never know the truth behind the perception.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#461348 Jul 12, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just answer the question, charles. Don't be afraid. I assume you know what the word means?
Favoritism - A display of partiality toward a favored person or group.

No..I don't show favoritism towards atheists.

Honestly Regina...the only two catholics on this forum worthy talking to are Anthony and Dan. Though I don't agree with them but they know what they believe and why they believe it. The rest of you..Clay, you and every other catholic on here haven't a clue. You guys jump on their coat tails, they carry you, and you do what you're told.

Goodbye
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#461349 Jul 12, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
It took me 70 years of confusion to realize that I can believe I am completely whole and of value to myself just as I am.
And from what I have read from your comments June--nothing has changed!! You are still in confusion"!!..... I/we as Catholics think of it as Mass confusion", in that we have the TRUTH of the Mass and you have just more of the same old "merry-go-round" of confusion!!
You seem like a very sincere person June!...... I am quite surprised that you have chosen to reject "faith" in God, Salvation in Jesus Christ and the Spiritual gifts of the Church---Christs Church!!!

Location hidden

#461350 Jul 12, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Herme, Amen Amen. We the body of Christ, is the church.
God, is the head of the church always. God is above all things.
God Bless you. How are you doing health wise, is the medication helping you?? I think about you often , and your wife.
you have made it through some hard times, God has been with you all the way . Bible verse for you and your wife today.
"Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You."
My niece's lungs are still bleeding, she had half a one on each side remove a few years back.
She can't stop smoking, what a curse that habit is. I give God all the glory for delivering me from it.
Her condition I am sure has something to do with it, but her anxiety doesn't help .
she really should quit smoking, the lung is the only Organ(with the exception of our heart of course) in the Body that is essential to our life. I used to smoke over two packs a day and quit the day that I got saved and my lungs have cleared up

“What are you looking at?”

Albuquerque, NM

#461351 Jul 12, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
It is part of my beliefs that I do not judge others. And so what you are asking me to do is to judge you. I am not qualified.
I think you, as everyone tries to apply their ethical standards in as correct a fashion as they understand. So the question remains are they correct enough for God? And that is between you and God.
I'm glad you clear this major point of the forum up.

I agree - my life [Self] is between me and "God" (if applicable), and not one religion or person in this world can say otherwise.

Too bad for all of those Catholics that don't believe you.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#461352 Jul 12, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of charity I avoid commenting on your feeble-minded and ignorant posts to spare you the embarrassment. I'll usually only address you when you're either attacking me or throwing out another whopper of a lie about the Catholic Church.
I am not an authority. The Catholic Church is. All I do is correct your errors regarding the Catholic faith and history.
I do believe in the bible. It is historical fact that the only reason protestants even have a bible is because of the Catholic Church. I don't believe in your version of the bible, especially because you have no authority to teach the bible and also because you are barely literate and are a menace to biblical truth.
The Catholic Church never, ever discouraged people from reading the bible, they only discouraged people from reading BAD TRANSLATIONS of the bible.
We have no idols in our Churches.
We don't pray TO Mary or the saints, we ask them to pray to Jesus for us.
We show Jesus on the cross to remind us of His sacrifice and because St. Paul said we are to preach Him crucified.
Anthony
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

This is from your DR bible ..But if you look at all the translations

They say the same thing

Why are we fighting overweight Church had the truth

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#461353 Jul 12, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
Like I said...abuse in ANY church is discusting!!!

Location hidden

#461354 Jul 12, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are perfectly forgiven by Jesus, then you ARE perfected. It can't BE both ways.
Silly dogmas.
silly YOU, it is God living inside of us that is perfect, as humans we MAKE MISTAKES,

GOD NEVER DOES.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#461355 Jul 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Favoritism - A display of partiality toward a favored person or group.
No..I don't show favoritism towards atheists.
Honestly Regina...the only two catholics on this forum worthy talking to are Anthony and Dan. Though I don't agree with them but they know what they believe and why they believe it. The rest of you..Clay, you and every other catholic on here haven't a clue. You guys jump on their coat tails, they carry you, and you do what you're told.
Goodbye
I didn't say you showed them favoritism. I asked if you thought it was wrong. Nice try at sidestepping the question, charles. I know why you won't answer it, that's okay.

I also know what I believe and why. But since my name is Regina you can't seem to handle it. Thanks for the insults, it's what I've come to expect from you and you've not disappointed me yet.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#461356 Jul 12, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe you can disturb those in heaven and impose upon them that supposed to be at rest in peace, to ponder your sins and troubles here on earth...and approach God with them
Man that would be beyond the pale and the epitome of pride...
That is real presumptuousness and with out respect for them...
The have already faced their own troubles...now they have to deal with yours...
I don't buy your assumptions...
==>The words of Samuel when the witch of Endor disturbed his rest was..
were
1Sa 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul,
==> Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?

It was through witchcraft that Samuel was approached...
Why do you practice witchcraft... have .. seance...and talk to the dead...
when you do ...do they answer you?
Saul used witchcraft because

And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

(-->DO YOU APPROACH THE (so called) SAINTS for the same reason that Saul did ...

Is it because God has rejected you?

HAS the LORD is departed from you and is become your enemy?<--)

1Sa 28:16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me,

--> seeing the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?<--

~~~

THE BIBLE SAYS..

(DRB) For there is one God: and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus:

(Geneva) For there is one God, and one Mediatour betweene God and man, which is the man Christ Iesus,

(KJV) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#461357 Jul 12, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The One True Church that Jesus Christ established, formed and authenticated---- DID START ----IN MATTHEW 16 and it was (One-Universal Church) and it was CATHOLIC..... It was also heirachical, authoratative and visible with Bishops, priests, deacons and elders in Act 2. Paul "confirms and reaffirms" it in ! Timothy 3:15 when calls the CHURCH (not the bible alone) as the pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH!!...Furthermore---all of this has been proven to be Historically TRUE, AUTHENTICATED AND VERIFIED for over 2000 years "overwhelming" by highly prominent and accredited Church Historian authors and writers as well as by Apologistic authors (both Catholic and Protestant) as well as the biographical documented writings of the Live of the Saints. You Confrinting can continue to "spin, twist, manipulate, and attempt to "distort" the TRUTH of TRUE APOSTOLIC CHURCH HISTORY, as much as you want----but your own personal anti-catholic "opinions of denial" will NEVER CHANGE the "FACTS" what has PROVEN to be TRUE for over 2000 years!!!!
Arrrrr...Polly want a cracker lol
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#461358 Jul 12, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We believe the saints are alive in heaven. We believe they can offer prayers to God on our behalf.
You ask friends to pray for you. Why don't you just go straight to God and skip the middle -man?
Anthony a person who has gone home with Jesus has entered His rest, the cares and worries of this world is long gone.

you won't even be a memory , that is why its called heaven.
It won't be heaven if they still had to be concerned with things here.
To worry is a sin, and we know God will not allow sin in Heaven.
Where Your Heart Is

Luke 12:31-32,34 (Phi) "No, set your heart on his kingdom, and your food and drink will come as a matter of course. Don't be afraid, you tiny flock! Your Father plans to give you the kingdom... For wherever your treasure is, you may be certain that your heart will be there too!"

"The great word of Jesus to His disciples is abandon. Immediately we look at these words of Jesus, we find them the most revolutionary statement human ears ever listened to.'Seek ye first the kingdom of God.' We argue in exactly the opposite way, even the most spiritually-minded of us--'But I must live; I must make so much money; I must be clothed; I must be fed.' The great concern of our lives is not the kingdom of God, but how we are to fit ourselves to live. Jesus reverses the order: Get rightly related to God first, maintain that as the great care of your life, and never put the concern of your care on the other things."

Accusing God of Ignorance?

Matt 6:8 (NKJ) "...Your Father knows the things you have need of..."

Luke 12:30 (NKJ) "...your Father knows that you need these things..."

•Note the implication: to worry, then, is to accuse God. By worrying we are saying either: 1) "God doesn't know", or 2) "God doesn't care". Think about it. Does God really not know; does He not see it so clearly as we do? Does God really not care; is He so unloving that He will not provide for us? Rather, God knows; and He loves us with great and tender care. Such knowledge needs to course through more than just our heads, it needs to be embraced by the heart--resulting in peace, joy, and love. For if we really know God, then we will really trust Him. God knows what we need. God cares. To suggest otherwise, by worrying, is a tacit form of slandering God. That is why it is forbidden.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#461359 Jul 12, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
ME TO , I keep telling people that I am very talented I can sing in 4-5 different keys at once. LOL
Always the shower. Lol.. But I try in church ..just sing as lo e as I can.
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#461360 Jul 12, 2013
Soil Check ...

1 Peter 1:23 (NIV) Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable.

Matt 13:18,22-23 (Phi) "Now listen to the parable of the sower... The seed sown among the thorns represents the man who hears the message, and then the worries of this life and the illusions of wealth choke it to death and so it produces no 'crop' in his life. But the seed sown on good soil is the man who both hears and understands the message. His life shows a good crop, a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

Mark 4:13-14 (Wey) "Do you all miss the meaning of this parable?" He added; "how then will you understand the rest of my parables? What the sower sows is the Message."

Mark 4:19 (KJV) "And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful."

Mat 6:25 (KJV) "Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life..."

•Oswald Chambers: "'Take no thought...' Don't take the pressure of forethought upon yourself. It is not only wrong to worry, it is infidelity, because worrying means that we do not think that God can look after the practical details of our lives, and it is never anything else that worries us. Have you ever noticed what Jesus said would choke the word He puts in? The devil? No, the cares of this world. It is the little worries always. I will not trust where I cannot see. That is where infidelity begins. The only cure for infidelity is obedience to the Spirit."

Luke 8:14 (KJV) "And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection."

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#461361 Jul 12, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Arrrrr...Polly want a cracker lol
Hey Sera sent a new message ..I never see mine..wish they would ding.
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#461362 Jul 12, 2013
Careless Treatment of an Awesome Invitation

Luke 14:16-24 (Jer) "There was a man who gave a great banquet, and he invited a large number of people. When the time for the banquet came, he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited,'Come along: everything is ready now.' But all alike started to make excuses. The first said,'I have bought a piece of land and must go and see it. Please accept my apologies.' Another said,'I have bought five yoke of oxen and am on my way to try them out. Please accept my apologies.' Yet another said,'I have just got married and so am unable to come.'...I tell you, not one of those who were invited shall have a taste of my banquet."

Matt 22:4-7 (NIV) "Then he sent some more servants and said,'Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner. My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready, Come to the wedding banquet.' But they paid no attention and went off--one to his field, another to his business. The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city."

Luke 14:26 (NIV) "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple."

•Oswald Chambers: "Whenever we put other things first, there is confusion.'Take no thought for your life...' Our Lord points out the utter unreasonableness from His standpoint of being so anxious over the means of living. Jesus is not saying that the man who takes thought for nothing is blessed--that man is a fool. Jesus taught that a disciple has to make his relationship to God the dominating concentration of his life, and to be carefully careless about everything else in comparison to that. Jesus is saying--'Don't make the ruling factor of your life what you shall eat and what you shall drink, but be concentrated absolutely on God.' Some people are careless over what they eat and drink, and they suffer for it... they are careless about their earthly affairs, and God holds them responsible. Jesus is saying that the great care of this life is to put the relationship to God first, and everything else second. It is one of the severest disciplines of the Christian life to allow the Holy Spirit to bring us into harmony with the teaching of Jesus in these verses."

Heb 2:1-3 (NIV) We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#461363 Jul 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So I never said it...thanks
So you see no issue with implying something as long as you don't explicitly say it. That may be the kind of morality taught in your new fundamentalist sect, but it's not a Christian attribute.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#461364 Jul 12, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say you showed them favoritism. I asked if you thought it was wrong. Nice try at sidestepping the question, charles. I know
Hey genius.. If I don't show favoritism, do you think that I believe it's right? lol..... Sharp as a bowling ball.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#461365 Jul 12, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony a person who has gone home with Jesus has entered His rest, the cares and worries of this world is long gone.
you won't even be a memory , that is why its called heaven.
It won't be heaven if they still had to be concerned with things here.
To worry is a sin, and we know God will not allow sin in Heaven.
Where Your Heart Is
Luke 12:31-32,34 (Phi) "No, set your heart on his kingdom, and your food and drink will come as a matter of course. Don't be afraid, you tiny flock! Your Father plans to give you the kingdom... For wherever your treasure is, you may be certain that your heart will be there too!"
"The great word of Jesus to His disciples is abandon. Immediately we look at these words of Jesus, we find them the most revolutionary statement human ears ever listened to.'Seek ye first the kingdom of God.' We argue in exactly the opposite way, even the most spiritually-minded of us--'But I must live; I must make so much money; I must be clothed; I must be fed.' The great concern of our lives is not the kingdom of God, but how we are to fit ourselves to live. Jesus reverses the order: Get rightly related to God first, maintain that as the great care of your life, and never put the concern of your care on the other things."
Accusing God of Ignorance?
Matt 6:8 (NKJ) "...Your Father knows the things you have need of..."
Luke 12:30 (NKJ) "...your Father knows that you need these things..."
•Note the implication: to worry, then, is to accuse God. By worrying we are saying either: 1) "God doesn't know", or 2) "God doesn't care". Think about it. Does God really not know; does He not see it so clearly as we do? Does God really not care; is He so unloving that He will not provide for us? Rather, God knows; and He loves us with great and tender care. Such knowledge needs to course through more than just our heads, it needs to be embraced by the heart--resulting in peace, joy, and love. For if we really know God, then we will really trust Him. God knows what we need. God cares. To suggest otherwise, by worrying, is a tacit form of slandering God. That is why it is forbidden.
Wow

Going to save this .

I worry but then I pray ..

I get afraid ..especially in hurricane season ..But I know I'm not alone..So I pray .

TO GOD IN the name of His Son..

But the way you put it..have more to think on about that worry thanks
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#461366 Jul 12, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
I understand fundamentalist's objections to showing respect for people who are not the same as they are. I understand that when an Asian or European bow to someone as a sign of respect, you guys assume it's worship and therefore an offense to God. You guys need to get out more often.
You are saying that it was OK for the president to bow to...???
KM
Apples and oranges.

If your "bishop" husband ever took a trip to Japan would he refuse to bow to people?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jawan bhanji ki chudai kaise karu (Apr '13) 52 min rani 93
sex (Jun '12) 1 hr sam 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Buck Crick 830,417
Rajkot gay Topix 1 hr karan 45
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 611,946
I wish God would get rid of all homosexuals in ... 1 hr UidiotRaceMAkeWor... 8
Why God made males UGLY but females PRETTY ? 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 10
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 hr dollarsbill 3,959
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 5 hr Student 40,223
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr Paul Porter1 99,270
More from around the web