Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
444,221 - 444,240 of 536,994 Comments Last updated 7 min ago
Human Being

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
If life on earth was such a "blessing" there would not be so many people hooked on drugs of all sorts.
Trying to escape emotional and physical pain is the aim of the majority of people on earth.
And from my perception that is the truth, and that is what makes religion of all "brands" so popular.
June:

God didn't promise the earth would be a rose garden without thorns. Rather it would be a Garden of Gethsemane if you follow Jesus.

Those that seek another route, rather than carrying their cross, may temporarily find pleasure in their addictions, but, somewhere along the way, and in the end, find eternal consequences more disturbing....

Since: Sep 09

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"Almost 5000 years ago, some scientists believe..."
LOL - these proud-hearts will believe anything BUT the truth of the Bible, but they tweek it so that they can get their name on some 'new theory'!
hey June, if these "scientists" and drs and such told you to jump in a lake of fire, would you do it?
Even your most devout religious scientists are certain that a god created the world about 6000 years ago.

:)

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Religion is very silly indeed ... but those who demand that a god or gods or goddesses love them will not give way to any other idea.

:)
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
The Earth is not dying, it is being killed. And the people who are killing it have names and addresses.-Utah Phillips @ http://goo.gl/X721a
Ltm you don't believe in global warming do you?

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
God didn't promise the earth would be a rose garden without thorns. Rather it would be a Garden of Gethsemane if you follow Jesus.
Those that seek another route, rather than carrying their cross, may temporarily find pleasure in their addictions, but, somewhere along the way, and in the end, find eternal consequences more disturbing....
If the god existed and was decent of character, suffering of all forms of life would not be an issue, as he would have protected ALL animals from having to suffer at ALL cost to his self!

That would be something worth the investment of worship!

If your god exists he is very very ill indeed and has no right to preach that others should strive to be perfect.

Ridiculous blather.

Religion is human-created bunk.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats wise Robert, knowing that we are judged individually.
Will your share what your disagreements with the rcc are?
marge:

I suppose "disagreements" is a bit strong, it is more like I have differences in my opinion on various issues.

One of the major differences I have with "cradle Catholics", is on the ordained priesthood.

My logic goes something like this..., since all Christians are priests, we should treat each other as priests of God, and not hold anyone more highly(or conversely lower) than another.

I have found many "cradle Catholics" put the ordained priest on a pedestal, and keep them there, rather than acknowledging them as simply servants of God. This kind of "respect", is a sort of blind trust, which has caused many problems in the RCC.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Neon sign outside a store

Don't die a virgin. Terrorists are up there waiting for you.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

cult expert wrote:
<quoted text>Thats why jw's try to recruite folks that just lost a loved one.Jw's monitor the obituaries for easy prey.Them sick bastards.
~~~

I never knew if the JW's monitor obituaries...

The Mormons do...

and I am not sure whether they are all illegitmate children

never heard that they were..

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>why should we give a deeper explaination.
simple is much better.
And there shall come forth a rod(David) out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch(Jesus) shall grow out of his roots:
no biggie there.
Exactly ...
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
If life on earth was such a "blessing" there would not be so many people hooked on drugs of all sorts.
Trying to escape emotional and physical pain is the aim of the majority of people on earth.
And from my perception that is the truth, and that is what makes religion of all "brands" so popular.
there would not be so many people hooked on drugs of all sorts.
- Just like you, they don't take responsibility for their own choices.
You're a clown. The scary thing is, there are many many more who think just like you. A bet you're the life of the party at family gatherings...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Ltm you don't believe in global warming do you?
Most of what you have been told about GW is a lie...

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/05/glob...
Human Being

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>why should we give a deeper explaination.
simple is much better.
And there shall come forth a rod(David) out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch(Jesus) shall grow out of his roots:
no biggie there.
Preston:

Well, I didn't want to preach to you.

But since you question me with a "why give a deeper explanation", you found me out.

I will explain. Its DNA!

The roots, and stem and branch have the same physical DNA. No grafting (surrogacy) going on there. Jesus' DNA came on the same stem and rod, through Mary his mother.

We are grafted onto Jesus, and that is a sort of surrogacy of the Gentile onto the Jew. But once grafted we become one. And some produce much fruit, and some none. Those with none will be chopped off and used for firewood.

Jesus word goes out and accomplishes what He wills, it is not our own will and efforts which rains down and returns empty. A person may struggle all their life in doing the will of God, and it may not be seen in their lifetime on earth, but in eternity it may bear the most savored fruit of the Spirit....
Human Being

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
227 <quoted text>
Shotgun fallacy:
"Shotgun argumentation" is a metaphor from real life: It's much easier to hunt a rabbit with a shotgun than with a rifle. This is because a rifle only fires one bullet and there's a high probability of a miss. A shotgun, however, fires tens or even hundreds of small pellets, and the probability of at least one of them hitting the rabbit is quite high.
Shotgun argumentation has the same basic idea: The more small arguments or "evidence" you present in favor of some claim, the higher the probability that someone will believe you regarldess of how ridiculous those arguments are. There are two reasons for this:
Firstly, just the sheer amount of arguments or "evidence" may be enough to convince someone that something strange is going on. The idea is basically: "There is this much evidence against the official story, there must be something wrong with it." One or two pieces of "evidence" may not be enough to convince anyone, but collect a set of a couple of hundreds of pieces of "evidence" and it immediately starts being more believable.
Of course the fallacy here is that the amount of "evidence" is in no way proof of anything. The vast majority, and usually all of this "evidence" is easily explainable and just patently false. There may be a few points which may be more difficult to explain, but they alone wouldn't be so convincing.
Secondly, and more closely related to the shotgun methapor: The more arguments or individual pieces of "evidence" you have, the higher the probability that at least some of them will convince someone. Someone might not get convinced by most of the arguments, but among them there may be one or a few which sounds so plausible to him that he is then convinced. Thus one or a few of the "pellets" hit the "rabbit" and killed it: Mission accomplished.
I have a concrete example of this: I had a friend who is academically educated, a MSc, and doing research work (relating to computer science) at a university. He is rational, intelligent and well-educated.
Yet still this person, at least some years ago, completely believed the Moon hoax theory. Why? He said to me quite explicitly that there was one thing that convinced him: The flag moving after it had been planted on the ground.
One of the pellets had hit the rabbit and killed it. The shotgun argumentation had been successful.
If even highly-educated academic people can fall for such "evidence" (which is easily explained), how more easily are more "regular" people going to believe the sheer amount of them? Sadly, quite a lot more easily.
Most conspiracy theorists continue to present the same old tired arguments which are very easy to prove wrong. They need all those arguments, no matter how ridiculous, for their shotgun argumentation tactics to work.
This is not shot gun fallacy: Why do you not answer my question???
This is not a shotgun fallacy: Does the following verses teach that Christ is God??????
This is not a shot gun fallacy:
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Then, after speaking in many and varied ways through the prophets, "now at last in these days God has spoken to us in His Son":(Heb. 1:1-2).
For He sent His Son, the eternal Word, who enlightens all men, so that He might dwell among men and tell them of the innermost being of God (see John 1:1-18).
Jesus Christ, therefore, the Word made flesh, was sent as "a man to men." He "speaks the words of God" (John 3;34), and completes the work of salvation which His Father gave Him to do (see John 5:36; John 17:4)
And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Your second reason holds not water.....
Oxbow:

You gave 5 scriptures to respond with a conclusion. That is using a shotgun fallacy by your own definition.

You just shot yourself in the foot!
And confront just sank your boat!
Human Being

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Straw man argumentation
A "straw man argument" is the process of taking an argument of the opponent, distorting it or taking it out of context so that it basically changes meaning, and then ridiculing it in order to make the opponent look bad.
For example, a conspiracy theorist may say something like: "Sceptics argue that stars are too faint to see in space (which is why there are no stars in photographs), yet astronauts said that they could see stars."
This is a perfect example of a straw man argument. That's taking an argument completely out of context and changing its meaning.
It's actually a bit unfortunate that many debunking sites use the sentence "the stars are too faint to be seen" when explaining the lack of stars in photographs. That sentence, while in its context not false, is confusing and misleading. It's trying to put in simple words a more technical explanation (which usually follows). Unfortunately, it's too simplistic and good material for straw man arguments. I wish debunkers stopped using simplistic sentences like that one.
(The real explanation for the lacking stars is, of course, related to the exposure time and shutter aperture of the cameras, which were set to photograph the Moon surface illuminated by direct sunlight. The stars are not bright enough for such short exposure times. If the cameras had been set up to photograph the stars, the lunar surface would have been completely overexposed. This is basic photography.)
This is not a subtle strawman:Why do you not answer my question???
This is not a subtle strawman: Does the following verses teach that Christ is God??????
This is not a subtle strawman:
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Then, after speaking in many and varied ways through the prophets, "now at last in these days God has spoken to us in His Son":(Heb. 1:1-2).
For He sent His Son, the eternal Word, who enlightens all men, so that He might dwell among men and tell them of the innermost being of God (see John 1:1-18).
Jesus Christ, therefore, the Word made flesh, was sent as "a man to men." He "speaks the words of God" (John 3;34), and completes the work of salvation which His Father gave Him to do (see John 5:36; John 17:4)
And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Your third reason holds not water.....
Oxbow

You defined the question in your terms, with out of context scriptures..., and as you write, "This is a perfect argument of a strawman argument. That's taking an argument completely out of context and changing it meaning."

You own the third reason I cannot answer your question. You just can't admit it.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
there would not be so many people hooked on drugs of all sorts.
- Just like you, they don't take responsibility for their own choices.
You're a clown. The scary thing is, there are many many more who think just like you. A bet you're the life of the party at family gatherings...
~~~

The addiction of blasphemy toward God is the epitome of pride...

The devil attempted it...and will burn in hell...eternally..

Angels cannot be redeemed....but man can if he repents...and hasn't sinned his day of grace away..

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

NOTE
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow:
You gave 5 scriptures to respond with a conclusion. That is using a shotgun fallacy by your own definition.
You just shot yourself in the foot!
And confront just sank your boat!
The "conclusion" in the Scripture I quoted is undeniable...Jesus Christ is the Son of God....and you cannot face this truth....
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think popes removed the saints from the calendar because they respected that the saints existed???
That would the same as removing the stories of Jesus from the bible ... because they respected that Jesus existed.
Be a fool if it so pleases you.
I can play this game as long as you can, lol.

As has already been explained to you.....their relegation to local calendars had nothing to do with respect or disrespect. That's your projection only. There are hundreds of saints. There aren't enough days in the year to commemorate them all on a universal basis. Don't forget, Jesus' church is huge, it goes from one end of the earth to the other. To compare the situation to the teachings of Christ that have been recorded in Scripture is absurd. I'll gladly be a fool for Him and the church He founded. Every knock is a boost. Thanks!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
You defined the question in your terms, with out of context scriptures..., and as you write, "This is a perfect argument of a strawman argument. That's taking an argument completely out of context and changing it meaning."
You own the third reason I cannot answer your question. You just can't admit it.
This is not a subtle strawman: Does the following verses teach that Christ is God??????
This is not a subtle strawman:
Your third reason holds not water.....
Human Being

Sunset, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
225 228
<quoted text>
Quoting Scripture from Ge to Rev that supports the same message is not cherry picking...it is the most basic of Bible Study practices..
Oxbow:

Cherry-picking scriptures is YOUR basic Bible study method....

We all share this flaw, as it is in the nature of man to see what we want to see. Thus, came the I-Ching, Runes, and Tarot Cards....

Jumping through the alphabet, A to Z(Genesis to Revelation), in the hopes of making something acceptable to reason, is not reasonable. It is like you are trying to get confirmation from a group of words, jumbled together at random, and believing you know some dark secret hidden away for all ages.

Your method is more akin to using the I-Ching, or throwing Runes, even Tarot cards, than the Bible.

Man-up and admit it.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The supposed truth of your bible reflects back to you that YOU are loved by the one and only god that ever existed, and others are simply "out of luck."
The bible, as are all supposed ancient "holy" books, is a handy book for ultra-selfish humans.
humanists (aka those void of God) ARE ultra-selfish. wtf else could they possibly be???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 6 min Neelakaran 971
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Porkpie Hat 259,147
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min Catcher1 172,894
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min Thinking 225,612
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Huh 729,909
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 27 min New Age Spiritual... 599,522
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 31 min andet1987 4,135
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 33 min Ratloder 117,767
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 18 hr Just 103
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 19 hr anonymous 143

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000