Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589734 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#459808 Jul 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
202
<quoted text>
You are a coward....you are terrified of the simple truth!!!!
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you deny that these verses teach that Christ is the Son of God???
As Scripture teaches:
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Then, after speaking in many and varied ways through the prophets, "now at last in these days God has spoken to us in His Son":(Heb. 1:1-2).
For He sent His Son, the eternal Word, who enlightens all men, so that He might dwell among men and tell them of the innermost being of God (see John 1:1-18).
Jesus Christ, therefore, the Word made flesh, was sent as "a man to men." He "speaks the words of God" (John 3;34), and completes the work of salvation which His Father gave Him to do (see John 5:36; John 17:4)
"I and the Father are one"

"One Lord, one faith, one baptism"

One God in three persons. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. The Blessed Trinity.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#459809 Jul 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't preach to me, why are asking me if I would tell my daughter that driving drunk could kill her?
If you are not referring to religion ... what are you referring to???
Just an anology June, doesn't necessarily have to be religious. If you love someone, you'll warn them of danger, no?
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#459810 Jul 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes no sense whatsoever. Religion came first ... the bible came second.
I don't believe in the existence of a creator, so I can't be mad AT a creator.
I have to give a qualified agree to your first sentence. The Bible is a product of the Catholic Church, not the other way around.
pope blows jesus

Ashland, PA

#459811 Jul 7, 2013
at least the vatican stopped burning people who disagreed about italy having the only true mofo church.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#459812 Jul 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that hell exists for those who offend "god?"
I believe in hell. I have no idea who's there or who will go there. And I've still never screamed in your face that you or anyone else will. Although I believe you're getting the treatment right now from the fundie shrike.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#459813 Jul 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't make "friends" on a forum. That way I don't feel beholden to personalities and am free to write what feels comfortable at all times to my own conscience.
You're smart. I'll never make that mistake again. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#459814 Jul 7, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in hell. I have no idea who's there or who will go there. And I've still never screamed in your face that you or anyone else will. Although I believe you're getting the treatment right now from the fundie shrike.
How is it that nobody has genuinely ever found where Hell is?

Dante said it was in the bowels of the earth.

Yet no scientific discovery has ever been made.

It is a FIGMENT OF THE IMAGINATION.

The Bible does not say Hell exists yet.

http://www.helltruth.com/

Hell in the Bible
The word “hell” is used 54 times in the Bible.

It is translated from several different words with various meanings, as indicated below:

In the Old Testament:

31 times from the Hebrew “Sheol,” which means “the grave”

In the New Testament:
10 times from the Greek “Hades,” which means “the grave”
12 times from the Greek “Gehenna,” which means “a place of burning”
1 time from the Greek “Tartarus,” which means “a place of darkness”

Why do you believe differently?

The influence of the RCC for sure.

Instill fear so the innocent will pay to have their loved ones forgiven for $$$$$$$$$$ to Build St. Pauls.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#459815 Jul 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Get the post number. I did not deny saying that.
I did not post it...you did:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said that.

You can find the number you seek...between: page 21875 and the current page number....

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#459816 Jul 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"I and the Father are one"
"One Lord, one faith, one baptism"
One God in three persons. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. The Blessed Trinity.
I repeat....you are a coward....

Oxbow wrote:
202
<quoted text>
You are a coward....you are terrified of the simple truth!!!!
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you deny that these verses teach that Christ is the Son of God???

As Scripture teaches:
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Then, after speaking in many and varied ways through the prophets, "now at last in these days God has spoken to us in His Son":(Heb. 1:1-2).
For He sent His Son, the eternal Word, who enlightens all men, so that He might dwell among men and tell them of the innermost being of God (see John 1:1-18).
Jesus Christ, therefore, the Word made flesh, was sent as "a man to men." He "speaks the words of God" (John 3;34), and completes the work of salvation which His Father gave Him to do (see John 5:36; John 17:4)
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#459817 Jul 7, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it that nobody has genuinely ever found where Hell is?
Dante said it was in the bowels of the earth.
Yet no scientific discovery has ever been made.
It is a FIGMENT OF THE IMAGINATION.
The Bible does not say Hell exists yet.
http://www.helltruth.com/
Hell in the Bible
The word “hell” is used 54 times in the Bible.
It is translated from several different words with various meanings, as indicated below:
In the Old Testament:
31 times from the Hebrew “Sheol,” which means “the grave”
In the New Testament:
10 times from the Greek “Hades,” which means “the grave”
12 times from the Greek “Gehenna,” which means “a place of burning”
1 time from the Greek “Tartarus,” which means “a place of darkness”
Why do you believe differently?
The influence of the RCC for sure.
Instill fear so the innocent will pay to have their loved ones forgiven for $$$$$$$$$$ to Build St. Pauls.
No one's ever "genuinely" found where Heaven is either. Did Little Ellen White say it doesn't exist?

A place of burning and darkness sure sounds like hell to me.

Sorry, but the Catholic Church does not teach that anyone can be bought out of hell. Perhaps if you found out what THE Church really teaches before posting on a public forum, you wouldn't wind up looking like a.....well, you know the drill.

But do tell us why you believe Jesus and Michael, the Archangel are one and the same.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#459818 Jul 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You want me leave YOU alone so that you can bully the Protestants.
How funny.
This is a forum ... not a Catholic church, and that means that ALL opinions are welcome.
The fact is June, that I don't bully ANYONE!! It is you and the Protestants that "cannot exist" without attacking, ripping and condemning Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church. Your "personal beliefs" (atheists, agnostics or bible only Protestant are (totally dependent upon bullying and attacking our Catholic Faith!!!

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#459819 Jul 7, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
This entire chapter speaks of Pharaoh king of Egypt not satan. You have a very vivid imagination. Between the "serpent seed" doctrine and the two creations you are lost in the forest of ignorance.
II Timothy 2:14, "Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers."
This verse was written for you Tony17.
Fool. So when was Pharoah ever in the Garden of Eden? If you go back and RE-READ the 31st chapter of Ezekiel you will see that it states that all the TREES IN EDEN envied him. Trees can
t envy. Even BOO BOO THE FOOL should be able to see that this is not talking about any literal tree nor is it talkign about Pharoah. Pharoah was never in Eden. You Biblically illiterate moronic imbecile.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#459820 Jul 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
A reasonable thinking protestant fundie who adheres to scripture alone will not find anything in the bible about infants, children and mentally handicapped people who are not born again automatically going to heaven. And since "all have sinned", and no sin can enter heaven, it becomes even less reasonable to think they will...unless they are born again in baptism of course.
Oo

suffer the children to come to ME.

I heard that about baptism and Limbo as a kid.

FIRST OFF .

IN the end there is heaven and the Lake of Fire.

After dying on the Cross ..taking our Sin.

Do you really think Jesus condemns the ABORTED HE KNIT IN THE WOMB

and babies too young to know better ..maybe born into families TH a t believe BAPTISM IS A SYMBOL that a person knowingly accepts Christ .

Or into an atheist home .Or a, baby spared abortion who is retarded.

You think they will wind up in burning with Satan..if not not baptized .

Well I don't .

He wants the children close to HIM ..THAT IS IN THE BIBLE !!
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#459821 Jul 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text> Oo
suffer the children to come to ME.
I heard that about baptism and Limbo as a kid.
FIRST OFF .
IN the end there is heaven and the Lake of Fire.
After dying on the Cross ..taking our Sin.
Do you really think Jesus condemns the ABORTED HE KNIT IN THE WOMB
and babies too young to know better ..maybe born into families TH a t believe BAPTISM IS A SYMBOL that a person knowingly accepts Christ .
Or into an atheist home .Or a, baby spared abortion who is retarded.
You think they will wind up in burning with Satan..if not not baptized .
Well I don't .
He wants the children close to HIM ..THAT IS IN THE BIBLE !!
I'm saying the bible is silent about it. We pray that God has mercy on them, but we don't make a dogmatic statement one way or the other. You folks, people who are supposedly sola scriptura, make up a belief that's not in the bible.

Yes, that's why we immediately baptize babies and why we try to convince you guys (with little success apparently) to do the same.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#459822 Jul 7, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
I truly don't understand how the Catholics can claim that they "gave the world" the Bible??
In A.D. 363, THE COUNCIL OF LAODICEA (Catholic) stated that only the Old Testament (along with the Apocrypha) and the 27 books of the New Testament were to be read in the churches.
==========
BUT
FOR THE NEW TESTAMENT, THE PROCESS OF THE RECOGNITION AND COLLECTION BEGAN IN THE FIRST CENTURIES OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH.
VERY EARLY ON, SOME OF THE NEW TESTAMENT BOOKS WERE BEING RECOGNIZED.
PRIOR TO A.D. 80 THE DIDACHE was in circulation. In it contains knowledge of Matthew, Luke, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians and I Peter, and possibly Hebrews and Jude
A.D. 95 CLEMENT OF ROME West mentioned at least eight New Testament books
A.D. 108 POLYCARP,East (Smyrna now in Turkey)a disciple of John the apostle, acknowledged 15 books. Polycarp's Letter to the Philippians written prior to A.D. 117, quotes John, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians, II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, II Thessalonians, I Timothy, II Timothy, Hebrews, James and I John.
A.D. 115 IGNATIUS OF ANTIOCH (East) acknowledged about seven books The letters of Ignatius of Antioch, all written before A.D. 117,(his death) refer to Matthew, John, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians,
Philippians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, and possibly eleven other New Testament books.
100-147. JUSTIN MARTYR,(West)mentions the Gospels as being four in number and quotes from them and some of the epistles of Paul and Revelation. Born in Samaria (the middle portion of Israel, between Galilee and Judea) of pagan Greek parents
A.D. 185 IRENAEUS, East quoted from all New Testament books except Philemon, Jude, James and 3 John.
Irenaeus mentioned 21 books A Greek from Smyrna in Asia Minor,now &#304;zmir, Turkey
160-240. TERTULLIAN, West contemporary of Origen and Clement, mentions all the New Testament books except 2 Peter, James and 2 John. From Carthage in the Roman province of Africa
165-220. CLEMENT, OF ALEXANDRIA, East names all the books of the New Testament except Philemon, James, 2 Peter and 3 John. In addition we are told by Eusebius, who had the works of Clement, that he gave explanations and quotations from all the canonical books.
185-254. ORIGEN East born at Alexandria, names all the books of both the Old and New Testaments.
100 YEARS BEFORE THE COUNCIL OF NIACEA ORIGEN placed the gospels in the order we still have them in today.
325 AD ATHANASIUS, East in the council of Niacea referred to all 27 books of the New Testament calling them the springs of salvation
By 170 AD the whole church from Asia to Africa had in their possession the completed Bible (2 peter was still considered).
All, the early church from the first to second century show they were familiar with twenty one of the twenty seven New Testament books which is demonstrated by their writings and quotations. By this time period the Apocrypha was not part of the Canon
Wow..So the very Early Christians copied these very precocious writings And preserved them very EARLY ON..

How about That !!!

It always made sense yo me that this would be so..NOT ONE SCRIPTURE FOR EACH BOOK SHOW ing up miraculously in Rome in the Council.

There had to be copies..NOT LIKE XEROXING THEM ..But sending them to diff e rent churches to shard and preserve.

Just as thE. JEWS copied and preserved their precious scrolls.

Thanks for the history HERMI .

Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#459823 Jul 7, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
No one's ever "genuinely" found where Heaven is either. Did Little Ellen White say it doesn't exist?
A place of burning and darkness sure sounds like hell to me.
Sorry, but the Catholic Church does not teach that anyone can be bought out of hell. Perhaps if you found out what THE Church really teaches before posting on a public forum, you wouldn't wind up looking like a.....well, you know the drill.
But do tell us why you believe Jesus and Michael, the Archangel are one and the same.
Garbage, Regina. We are told Heaven is a place in the universe because Jesus was lifted up into the clouds.

Where do you get "burning" and "darkness" from?????

Masses said for the dead are to ensure a shorter term in Purgatory or "hell" as you know it.

Well known fact. Don't try to hide it. The RCC has taught that money gets remission.

I don't think you are interested in me trying to convince you of anything so I won't bother.

Read you Bible that you claim is yours. In it, you will find that those in the SECOND resurrection will be consumed by fire.

I expect you won't bother though.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#459824 Jul 7, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>Fool. So when was Pharoah ever in the Garden of Eden? If you go back and RE-READ the 31st chapter of Ezekiel you will see that it states that all the TREES IN EDEN envied him. Trees can
t envy. Even BOO BOO THE FOOL should be able to see that this is not talking about any literal tree nor is it talkign about Pharoah. Pharoah was never in Eden. You Biblically illiterate moronic imbecile.
And I want you to read this VERY CAREFULLY and then check the description of this tree given in chapter 31.

http://www.theseason.org/ezekiel/ezekiel31.ht...

Then check out Ezekiel chapter 28 and observe the description given of this entity though he is called king of Tyre as well as Prince of Tyre. Further down in chapter scriptures demonstrates just who thei king of Tyre and Prince of Tyre is by the statement that he was the anointed Cherub that covereth. Don't let the many names and titles of Satan confuse you.
The king of Tyre nor the Prince of Tyre was ever in Eden nor have the king and the prince of Tyre ever been in Eden nor were they ever called THE ANOINTED CHERUB THAT COVERETH. Satan was though before he fell. This tree in Ezekiel 31 as well as the king of Tyre and the Prince of Tyre in Ezekiel 28 is NONE OTHER THAN SATAN. The tree of the knowldege was NOT literal tree.IT WAS SATAN.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#459825 Jul 7, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is June, that I don't bully ANYONE!! It is you and the Protestants that "cannot exist" without attacking, ripping and condemning Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church. Your "personal beliefs" (atheists, agnostics or bible only Protestant are (totally dependent upon bullying and attacking our Catholic Faith!!!
When you brag about your church being the only true religion, you invite others to rise to the "occasion."

You are not a victim. You are a participant.

:)
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#459826 Jul 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I repeat....you are a coward....
Oxbow wrote:
202
<quoted text>
You are a coward....you are terrified of the simple truth!!!!
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you deny that these verses teach that Christ is the Son of God???
As Scripture teaches:
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
Then, after speaking in many and varied ways through the prophets, "now at last in these days God has spoken to us in His Son":(Heb. 1:1-2).
For He sent His Son, the eternal Word, who enlightens all men, so that He might dwell among men and tell them of the innermost being of God (see John 1:1-18).
Jesus Christ, therefore, the Word made flesh, was sent as "a man to men." He "speaks the words of God" (John 3;34), and completes the work of salvation which His Father gave Him to do (see John 5:36; John 17:4)
Anthony is correct. And this unbiblical position you keep argueing is only working to diminish your credibility.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#459827 Jul 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Just an anology June, doesn't necessarily have to be religious. If you love someone, you'll warn them of danger, no?
Let's cut to the chase. Which danger are you trying to warn me of???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bush Polls Don't Rule Iraq War (Jun '06) 2 min swedenforever 25
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Rosa_Winkel 837,796
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 25 min dollarsbill 4,227
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 27 min Havi 90
Should Black People in the USA Leave America an... (May '13) 30 min SiddiqAhmed 693
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 1 hr Tony17 446
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr Naveen kumar 1,439
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 612,163
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr set free in truth 176,854
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr RADEKT 271,297
More from around the web