Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#459511 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Men also wrote the stories of the three little pig and Goldilocks and the three bears and Santa Claus and many other fairy tales.
The only difference is ... those tales didn't promise that devout believers would be saved from hellfire and damnation by a Jew.
~~~

NONE OF YOUR FAIRY TALES BRING HOPE TO THE LOST SINNER..

NONE OF THEM INCLUDE GOD'S PLAN OF REDEMPTION.

---

God has given us hope...

But in order to activate the hope that He has given us...

Heb 11:6 But -->without faith it is impossible to please him: for

==>he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. <--

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Jesus said ...

Mat_11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

When ask

Joh 6:28 Then said they unto him(Jesus) What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

Note

Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them,

This is the work of God, that ye believe on him (ME) whom he hath sent.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#459512 Jul 6, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus said we must be come like little children to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
That tells me Jesus is saying, Children are innocent.
So whoever tells children their sinners and evil, Is lying to them.
Matthew 18
King James Version (KJV)
1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
I thought "all have sinned"?

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#459513 Jul 6, 2013
The fact that Christian theologians made and make their own rules by using the scriptures that fit their own "desired" formats is common practice among these disagreeing right-fighters.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Beginning of Human Personhood

Some Christian theologians, such as Marsilio Ficino, hold that ensoulment occurs when an infant takes its first breath of air. They cite, among other passages, Genesis 2:7, "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beginning_of_hum...

Terrace, Canada

#459514 Jul 6, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
NONE OF YOUR FAIRY TALES BRING HOPE TO THE LOST SINNER..
I don't believe I am a lost sinner. If you believe you qualify ... then stick to it and beg and plead for mercy from an imaginary Jew.

That is your right, but don't try to make me swallow such lies.

Terrace, Canada

#459515 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Over 96% of Catholic priests during the period in question were not involved in any sexual abuse. Fundie protestant preachers have much worse record than that.
Are you now in a contest over who raped and molested the most children and which church covered up the most crimes.

Even one cover-up is one too many.

Terrace, Canada

#459516 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently (even within the theology) that Jew's death had no meaning.

Terrace, Canada

#459517 Jul 6, 2013
Ann Coulter has the fully righteous Christian attitude.

As a Christian she is certain that she is a perfected Jew ... and all because she believes in the existence and the saving power OF a Jew.

That theology becomes a bit tricky because it means that Jesus has to first become a Christian before he can become a perfected Jew ... but don't let tricky theology bother you. It never has before, so why start now!

Sarcasm intended.
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#459518 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why don't you stop trying to get others to join your religious cult and stop insisting that others are evil when they won't join your cult?
The bigger question is: If you REALLY believe that what you think is the truth----then "Why don't ALL of you atheists, agnostics, bible only Protestants and other "anti-catholics denominational "fundies" (or whatever you call yourselves) just take your own (opinionated---editorialized) beliefs or disbeliefs and just go "live them" in the confines of your own isolated "closet" instead of "complaining about the Catholic Church). NONE OF YOU--are EVER going to convince ANY of us Catholics to change, reject and "deny our TRUE FAITH and Salvation in Jesus Christ and His One (and only one) TRUE Catholic, because we know that Jesus Christ initiated, established and formed HIS CHURCH biblically and historically over 2000 years ago!!... "Go argue" among yourselves!! There is "nothing to dicuss, debate or deliberate over!!!
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#459519 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you now in a contest over who raped and molested the most children and which church covered up the most crimes.
Even one cover-up is one too many.
Thousands of protestant fundie posts ranting and raving about sex abuse by Catholic priests and the minute one mentions they have thier own problems it becomes a contest. Funny there's never a peep from you June when they're screaming. Not really an equal opportunity religion hater are you?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#459520 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thousands of protestant fundie posts ranting and raving about sex abuse by Catholic priests and the minute one mentions they have thier own problems it becomes a contest. Funny there's never a peep from you June when they're screaming. Not really an equal opportunity religion hater are you?
Where was your voice Anthony everytime a priest was exposed and another bishop caught in lies, deceit and coverup?

Where were your calls of condemnation?.........SILENCE!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#459521 Jul 6, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>Still waiting for you to explain Ezekiel 31:9 where it states that trees can envy,LOL.
This entire chapter speaks of Pharaoh king of Egypt not satan. You have a very vivid imagination. Between the "serpent seed" doctrine and the two creations you are lost in the forest of ignorance.

II Timothy 2:14, "Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers."

This verse was written for you Tony17.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#459522 Jul 6, 2013
Jack Chick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for helping the our Sacramental Priesthood in the rape of little boys, and for leaving the USA forever, instead of staying to testify."
Pope Benedict
From your link:(obviously not all Catholics are so disapproving.)
"I think it's EXTREMELY important to know the truth, especially if one is Catholic. What he did (in shifting abusive priests from one parish to another, FULLY knowing they were raping children who were entrusted under the Church's care by believing and trusting parents) is beyond my imagination, and frankly, my forgiveness. I was an active, praying Catholic who adored him before all this - and I feel betrayed. Still."
Every Bishop in every diocese around the world that had molesting clergy ALL SYSTEMATICALLY did the very same thing. Lied, deceived and covered up the worst crimes imaginable.

Its quite obvious that orders were given from above, probably popes themselves to protect the church at the cost of the victims.

Karma is alive and well........it is now biting them all in the behind.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#459523 Jul 6, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
and you would be another victim of the state.
Muslims are not free to choose their religion or convert. Most Christians are not born into it. We were educated in secular state schools.
argument fail.
Most christians are roman catholic, and most roman catholics are indoctrinated by family into the catholic faith while still in the womb.

BUSTED!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#459524 Jul 6, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Most christians are roman catholic, and most roman catholics are indoctrinated by family into the catholic faith while still in the womb.
BUSTED!
Virtually NO CHRISTIANS are Roman Catholic.

A key distinction between Roman Catholics and Christians is the view of the Bible. Roman Catholics view the Bible as having equal authority with the Church and tradition. Christians view the Bible as the supreme authority for faith and practice.

A second key difference between Roman Catholics and Bible Christians is the understanding of how we can approach God. Roman Catholics tend to approach God through intermediaries, such as Mary or the saints. Christians approach God directly, offering prayers to no one other than God Himself.

The most crucial difference between Roman Catholics and Bible Christians is on the issue of salvation. Roman Catholics view salvation almost entirely as a process, while Christians view salvation as both a completed status and a process. Roman Catholics see themselves as “being saved,” while Christians view themselves as “having been saved.” I Corinthians 1:2 says,“To those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy.” The words “sanctified” and “holy” come from the same Greek root. This verse is declaring that Christians are both sanctified and called to be sanctified. The Bible presents salvation as a gift that is received the moment a person places faith in Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16). When a person receives Christ as Savior, he/she is justified (declared righteous – Romans 5:9), redeemed (rescued from slavery to sin – I Peter 1:18), reconciled (achieving peace with God – Romans 5:1), sanctified (set apart for God’s purposes – I Corinthians 6:11), and born again as a new creation (I Peter 1:23; II Corinthians 5:17). Each of these is fully accomplished at the moment of salvation. Christians are then called to live out practically (called to be holy) what is already true positionally (sanctified).

The Roman Catholic viewpoint is that salvation is received by faith, but then must be “maintained” by good works and participation in the Sacraments. Bible Christians do not deny the importance of good works or that Christ calls us to observe the ordinances in remembrance of Him and in obedience to Him. The difference is that Christians view these things as the result of salvation, not a requirement for salvation or a means of maintaining salvation. Salvation is an accomplished work, purchased by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ (I John 2:2). God offers us salvation and assurance of salvation because Jesus’ sacrifice was fully, completely, and perfectly sufficient. If we receive God’s precious gift of salvation, we can know that we are saved. I John 5:13 declares, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may KNOW that you have eternal life.”

We can know that we have eternal life, and we can have assurance of our salvation because of the greatness of Christ’s sacrifice. Christ’s sacrifice does not need to be re-offered or re-presented. Hebrews 7:27 says,“He sacrificed for their sins once for all when He offered Himself.” Hebrews 10:10 declares,“We have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” I Peter 3:18 exclaims,“For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.” Christ’s once-for-all sacrifice was absolutely and perfectly sufficient. Jesus declared on the cross,“It is finished”(John 19:30). Jesus’ atoning sacrifice was the full payment for all of our sins (I John 2:2). As a result, all of our sins are forgiven, and we are promised eternal life in heaven the moment we receive the gift God offers us – salvation through Jesus Christ (John 3:16).
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#459526 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Do children know or have knowledge of sin. no they do not.
There is however a age of count ability.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#459527 Jul 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
A key distinction between Roman Catholics and Christians is the view of the Bible. Roman Catholics view the Bible as having equal authority with the Church and tradition. Christians view the Bible as the supreme authority for faith and practice.
A second key difference between Roman Catholics and Bible Christians is the understanding of how we can approach God. Roman Catholics tend to approach God through intermediaries, such as Mary or the saints. Christians approach God directly, offering prayers to no one other than God Himself.
The most crucial difference between Roman Catholics and Bible Christians is on the issue of salvation. Roman Catholics view salvation almost entirely as a process, while Christians view salvation as both a completed status and a process. Roman Catholics see themselves as “being saved,” while Christians view themselves as “having been saved.” I Corinthians 1:2 says,“To those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy.” The words “sanctified” and “holy” come from the same Greek root. This verse is declaring that Christians are both sanctified and called to be sanctified. The Bible presents salvation as a gift that is received the moment a person places faith in Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16). When a person receives Christ as Savior, he/she is justified (declared righteous – Romans 5:9), redeemed (rescued from slavery to sin – I Peter 1:18), reconciled (achieving peace with God – Romans 5:1), sanctified (set apart for God’s purposes – I Corinthians 6:11), and born again as a new creation (I Peter 1:23; II Corinthians 5:17). Each of these is fully accomplished at the moment of salvation. Christians are then called to live out practically (called to be holy) what is already true positionally (sanctified).
The Roman Catholic viewpoint is that salvation is received by faith, but then must be “maintained” by good works and participation in the Sacraments. Bible Christians do not deny the importance of good works or that Christ calls us to observe the ordinances in remembrance of Him and in obedience to Him. The difference is that Christians view these things as the result of salvation, not a requirement for salvation or a means of maintaining salvation. Salvation is an accomplished work, purchased by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ (I John 2:2). God offers us salvation and assurance of salvation because Jesus’ sacrifice was fully, completely, and perfectly sufficient. If we receive God’s precious gift of salvation, we can know that we are saved. I John 5:13 declares, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may KNOW that you have eternal life.”

(shortened for a response.)
OldJG

All Christians are Catholic. All Catholics are Christians. Those who seek to exclude some, are judging them, and are then judged.

For by grace ye are saved through faith. It is not the work of faith that saves. It is by grace you are saved.

If tradition is practice, then your "key distinction" is not a true supposition and conclusion.

If Roman Catholics pray directly to God, and supplement their prayers with asking other saints for prayers to God, then your "second key difference" is wrong.(Which it is, imho.)

Sanctification is a process. You are equating salvation and sanctification which is an equivocation.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#459528 Jul 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>

ly (sanctified).
We can know that we have eternal life, and we can have assurance of our salvation because of the greatness of Christ’s sacrifice. Christ’s sacrifice does not need to be re-offered or re-presented. Hebrews 7:27 says,“He sacrificed for their sins once for all when He offered Himself.” Hebrews 10:10 declares,“We have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” I Peter 3:18 exclaims,“For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.” Christ’s once-for-all sacrifice was absolutely and perfectly sufficient. Jesus declared on the cross,“It is finished”(John 19:30). Jesus’ atoning sacrifice was the full payment for all of our sins (I John 2:2). As a result, all of our sins are forgiven, and we are promised eternal life in heaven the moment we receive the gift God offers us – salvation through Jesus Christ (John 3:16).
"Christians view the Bible as the supreme authority for faith and practice."

No, fundies view themselves as the supreme authority for faith and practice based on their private judgement of scripture. Catholics follow the bible which doesn't one word about being the supreme authority.

" Roman Catholics tend to approach God through intermediaries, such as Mary or the saints."

Wrong. We pray directly to God. Prayers to the saints is the no different than a fundie asking a fellow pew warmer to pray for them.

The rest of this is more of the same misrepresented garbage. Wouldn't this loser be better off actually citing an official Catholic source?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#459529 Jul 6, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was your voice Anthony everytime a priest was exposed and another bishop caught in lies, deceit and coverup?
Where were your calls of condemnation?.........SILENCE!
My "voice" was one of the millions of Catholics who demanded children be protected from predators which in turn resulted in the safest environment for children in the nation, if not the world.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#459530 Jul 6, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Do children know or have knowledge of sin. no they do not.
There is however a age of count ability.
Then not "all have sinned".

And book, chapter, verse where age of accountability is mentioned.
Chess Jurist

Cleveland, OH

#459531 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you seem to know what I bash, so that's really all that matters ... isn't it?
:)
Incorrect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Al Garcia 828,537
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 16 min Neelakaran 6,295
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 25 min Freebird USA 9,329
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 3,459
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr cheer the f up 270,666
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr cheer the f up 121,655
Derrick Briggs 1 hr Zombie Corpse Rental 4
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr duststorm 442,869
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr truth 611,849
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 18 hr karvinman 176,528
More from around the web