Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 641868 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#459709 Jul 7, 2013
It's common awareness that Catholics used whatever pleased them from other religions to compile the data in the new testament and then added whatever else suited them.

But that was common practice in all religions that plagiarized other authors words to suit their own religious dogmatic "impulses."

Following is but one example, concerning Thomas Aquinas.
>>>>>>> >>

Philosophy and Theology

Many contemporary philosophers are unsure how to read Thomas. He was in his primary and official profession a theologian. Nonetheless, we find among his writings works anyone would recognize as philosophical and the dozen commentaries on Aristotle increasingly enjoy the respect and interest of Aristotelian scholars. Even within theological works as such there are extended discussions that are easily read as possessing a philosophical character. So his best known work, the Summa theologiae, is often cited by philosophers when Thomas's position on this or that issue is sought. How can a theological work provide grist for philosophical mills? How did Thomas distinguish between philosophy and theology?

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aquinas/#Th...
marge

Leesburg, GA

#459710 Jul 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Marge did you get my post about using Firefox instead of IE.
THE newer IE versions sometimes mess up computers a bit older .
I set my updates to ask me ..I have Windows seven and don t get the new IE ...But then I always usr MOZILLA FIREFOX.
IT updates just fine. And is much better
Like I have an older 3 model of IPhone ..Eli not get the new Ios 6
Thanks Rosesz, I shouldn't complain we have only had to buy 4 computers in our lifetime, the first one was used and the other three still work fine. The men here are all computer tech savy so they can fix anything.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459711 Jul 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
Where does the Bible say Mary is the "Mother of God"?
Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, says "Who am I that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" (Lk 1:43) This passage gives us a title for Mary. She is "mother of my Lord." After Jesus was born the Bible says:
"And going into the house they [the Magi] saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him" (Mt 2:11 my emphasis).
The Bible calls her by her name, "Mary," and by her title "mother" while the passage calls Jesus by the title "child," which puts him in relation to her at the very moment the Magi worshipped him. They weren't kneeling because He was a baby, but because He was God. Jesus didn't become divine some time later in life. I think the Bible was trying to teach us who Mary is in relation to Jesus (God). She is his Mother even when he is being worshipped as God, making her "Mother of God."
Catholics think the title "Mother of God" is Biblical. In a special way, she is mother of the incarnate God, who is fully God. He was always God, and Mary gave birth to him as such. Today, Catholics don't have a problem kneeling in Mary's presence either. She is as much with Jesus today as she was on that day when she held him and the Magi kneeled in her presence to worship of him. When we kneel in the presence of Mary it is because she is with her Son, Jesus.
ME;
NOW USING THE THOUGHTS(IF YOU CAN CALL THEM THOUGHTS,LOL) OF THIS FALSE THEOLOGY.
BY SAYING THAT MARY, WHO WAS THE SURROGATE FOR THE BIRTH OF JESUS, mother of god< then since she sated very clearly that Joseph was His father, when she left him behind,
we can safely conclude with their rationale, that joseph is father of god.
that is what happens when a religion turns from the Truth and now becomes Cultlike with its many sexual deviants leading them over the centuries
Biblical truth;

- Elizabeth calls Mary "mother of my Lord".
- Mary is Jesus's mother
- Jesus is God

What kind of corner store "bible" cult would deny this ?

Prince George, Canada

#459712 Jul 7, 2013
Theology IS philosophy!

Theologians were and ARE self-idolizing "grand" masters of philosophy!

They never had to prove that even one statement they uttered or wrote was based on truth.

How CONvenient!

Prince George, Canada

#459713 Jul 7, 2013
Religion amounts to "I adore and idolize my OWN theology, and I detest and deplore your theology."

:)

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#459714 Jul 7, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm afraid that's not the reason for the rejection of the Septuagint. Where exactly did you hear such a thing? Christ and the Apostles referenced the Septuagint numerous times throughout the NT. That's just a fact, Rose.
Did you know that the proper name for those books which the protestants removed from the Bible is deuterocanonical? Protestants use the incorrect term of apocrypha in the pejorative sense. There are, in fact, apocryphal writings which give valuable information about Christ and His early church, but they were not included in the Canon of Scripture.
You might find this helpful:
5 Myths about 7 Books
http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologe...
How is it that "Jesus and the apostles" referenced a book(writing) that was not translated into Greek as "Septuagint"?... the time of Augustine of Hippo (354–430 CE)...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459715 Jul 7, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
I truly don't understand how the Catholics can claim that they "gave the world" the Bible??
In A.D. 363, THE COUNCIL OF LAODICEA (Catholic) stated that only the Old Testament (along with the Apocrypha) and the 27 books of the New Testament were to be read in the churches.
==========
BUT
FOR THE NEW TESTAMENT, THE PROCESS OF THE RECOGNITION AND COLLECTION BEGAN IN THE FIRST CENTURIES OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH.
VERY EARLY ON, SOME OF THE NEW TESTAMENT BOOKS WERE BEING RECOGNIZED.
PRIOR TO A.D. 80 THE DIDACHE was in circulation. In it contains knowledge of Matthew, Luke, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians and I Peter, and possibly Hebrews and Jude
A.D. 95 CLEMENT OF ROME West mentioned at least eight New Testament books
A.D. 108 POLYCARP,East (Smyrna now in Turkey)a disciple of John the apostle, acknowledged 15 books. Polycarp's Letter to the Philippians written prior to A.D. 117, quotes John, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians, II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, II Thessalonians, I Timothy, II Timothy, Hebrews, James and I John.
A.D. 115 IGNATIUS OF ANTIOCH (East) acknowledged about seven books The letters of Ignatius of Antioch, all written before A.D. 117,(his death) refer to Matthew, John, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians,
Philippians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, and possibly eleven other New Testament books.
100-147. JUSTIN MARTYR,(West)mentions the Gospels as being four in number and quotes from them and some of the epistles of Paul and Revelation. Born in Samaria (the middle portion of Israel, between Galilee and Judea) of pagan Greek parents
A.D. 185 IRENAEUS, East quoted from all New Testament books except Philemon, Jude, James and 3 John.
Irenaeus mentioned 21 books A Greek from Smyrna in Asia Minor,now &#304;zmir, Turkey
160-240. TERTULLIAN, West contemporary of Origen and Clement, mentions all the New Testament books except 2 Peter, James and 2 John. From Carthage in the Roman province of Africa
165-220. CLEMENT, OF ALEXANDRIA, East names all the books of the New Testament except Philemon, James, 2 Peter and 3 John. In addition we are told by Eusebius, who had the works of Clement, that he gave explanations and quotations from all the canonical books.
185-254. ORIGEN East born at Alexandria, names all the books of both the Old and New Testaments.
100 YEARS BEFORE THE COUNCIL OF NIACEA ORIGEN placed the gospels in the order we still have them in today.
325 AD ATHANASIUS, East in the council of Niacea referred to all 27 books of the New Testament calling them the springs of salvation
By 170 AD the whole church from Asia to Africa had in their possession the completed Bible (2 peter was still considered).
All, the early church from the first to second century show they were familiar with twenty one of the twenty seven New Testament books which is demonstrated by their writings and quotations. By this time period the Apocrypha was not part of the Canon
Hermi, I truly don't understand why you would post a protestant website which uses the term "apocrypha" and denies the canonicity of the Septuagint in direct contradiction to Orthodox teaching.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#459716 Jul 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Biblical truth;
- Elizabeth calls Mary "mother of my Lord".
- Mary is Jesus's mother
- Jesus is God
What kind of corner store "bible" cult would deny this ?
and Mary called Joseph , His father.

so now we have a never ending cycle.

except for one thing.

Jesus said before Abraham was, I am.

thereby indicating that he had no mother.

mary was a surrogate mother in that fashion ONLY.

Jesus was still God, even in the womb.

mary was never His mother in the strictest sense, just as joseph was never His father either.

I understand that easily, catholics are blind and cant see anything, or else they wouldn't be a catholic.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#459717 Jul 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please not again ..She was His mother .
Bible says so .And makes clear she was nit conceived by Joseph .
Why not just leave it at that
That does not mean we worship her.
READ MY LIPS!!!!

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!

I will post what I wish, whenever I want.

if you dont like it, feel free to leave at any time.

you were never given an invitation to visit us, you don't need an invitation to Leave.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#459718 Jul 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious you don't have any faith that your supposed god knows what's best for you or others ... or you wouldn't be trying to manipulate the supposed god's will.
Silly people!
One minute you preach that god knows what's best, and the next minute you believe you have to pray so that he does from your opinions what YOU believe is best.
June:

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
(John 15:7,8)

Prince George, Canada

#459719 Jul 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Hermi, I truly don't understand why you would post a protestant website which uses the term "apocrypha" and denies the canonicity of the Septuagint in direct contradiction to Orthodox teaching.
It's common sense that what was compiled in the new testament was accepted by the Catholics who had full power over all other religions in that era.

Had it not been so, they would have trashed the book and started anew.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#459720 Jul 7, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is NOT a catholic book...Your church began in 1054 remember....
The Church began at Pentecost in Acts 2:4 and it was Catholic!

The Church did not exist in Old Testament times but was constituted on the Day of Pentecost (arguments to support the day of Pentecost will be given below). It is distinct to this present time period. Several lines of evidence support this conclusion.
(1) Our Lord said:“I will build My Church”(Matt. 16:18). He did not say that He would continue to add to something already in existence, but that He would do something not yet begun.
(2) The Church could have no functioning Head until after the resurrection of Christ; therefore, it could not exist until some time after He rose from the dead (Eph. 1:20-23—note how these verses connect His resurrection, ascension, and session to His headship over the church).
(3) The Church could not have been an operating entity with functioning spiritual gifts until after Christ’s ascension. This is the clear implication of Eph. 4:7-12.
By a comparison of a number of passages, it seems clear that Pentecost marked the beginning of the church as a functioning body (the body of Christ) by the outpouring of the Spirit on that day.:

The Church is referred to as the "Catholic Church" as early as 55 A.D

According to the four Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles, about the year 33 C.E., the structure of the Church was set up by Jesus Christ before His Ascension and then the early Christian Church was born on Pentecost when the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles and disciples.

This same Church has referred to itself as the “Catholic Church” at least since 55 AD.(about 10 years after the last book of the New Testament was written), when the Greek term "Katholikos" (meaning universal) appears in the Letter of St. Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans:

"Wherever the bishop appear, there let the multitude be; even as wherever Christ Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church." The Apostles of Jesus, and especially in Paul's writings refers to a hierarchical, authoritative, visible Church in the book of Acts with bishops, priests, elders and deacons. Paul also (in I Timothy 3:15) calls the Church, the pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the truth!! In 1054, the Orthodox Church divided, split and broke away from the Catholic Church. The Church that is described in Matthew 16:13-21 was (Universal--Catholic)!!

Prince George, Canada

#459721 Jul 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>and Mary called Joseph , His father.
so now we have a never ending cycle.
except for one thing.
Jesus said before Abraham was, I am.
thereby indicating that he had no mother.
mary was a surrogate mother in that fashion ONLY.
Jesus was still God, even in the womb.
mary was never His mother in the strictest sense, just as joseph was never His father either.
I understand that easily, catholics are blind and cant see anything, or else they wouldn't be a catholic.
Theologians were all great authors of B.S.

No matter which theology ... somebody or other believed it was true, or it would never have been written for others to read and follow.

Prince George, Canada

#459722 Jul 7, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
(John 15:7,8)
I read the bible my self Robert, but I knew there was something fishy about that promise that if I followed the teachings of a Jew I would reach a Christian heaven.

Only fools fall for such nonsense, and YOU are such a fool!

Prince George, Canada

#459723 Jul 7, 2013
The reason there are so many Catholics on planet earth is not because they taught truth, but rather because they forced others to join their religion way back when. The choice was to join or be tortured and put to death.

The numbers didn't become high by honest means. Not even close.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#459724 Jul 7, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
One of many..........
http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/articles/ ...
<quoted text>
You and mojo should team up. The only thing he can say in defense of Rome is, "there are 38,000, 40,000, 42,000 denominations". LOL LOL Hey cly, list these denominations or shut your pie hole. I will wait(but not hold my breath)for your reply. Get with mojo. He can be your resource for excess BOLOGNA. LOL
Since the Protestant reformation in the 16th century, there has been an on-going of dividing, fracturing, and splintering of one denomination after another, who "have never", NOR "will ever"agree on (anything) regarding the (true authenticated and proven) interpretation of the bible handed down by the Early Church Fathers in 382,393 and 397 AD.--Here is a partial list of the 42,000+ conflicting , inconsistent and contradicting "hodge-podge" of "personal opinionated" denominations since the beginning of the Reformation: 1..Luther (eliminated some original books of the bible)
2.Zwingli (eliminated and rejected the Eucharist)
3.Knox (threw out some of the Sacraments)
4.Wesley (each one rejected something to start a new denomination
5.Huss " " "
6.Cromwell " " "
7.Wycliff " " "
8.(Beginning with the A's " "
Advent Christian Church
Advent Christian Conference
Advent Christian Conference of Japan
Adventist Church
Adventists of the True Remnant
Africa Christian network
Africa Evangelical Church
Africa Evangelical Church of Malawi
Africa Gospel Church
Africa Gospel Unity Church
Africa Inland Church
African Apostolic Church of Johane Maranke
African Apostolic Church of Johane Masowe
African Apostolic Church of Nigeria & Benin
African Apostolic Church St Simon & St Johane
African Apostolic Faith Mission
African Assemblies of God
African Baptist Assembly Malawi
African Born Full Gospel Apostolic Ch
African Brotherhood Church
African Catholic Church
African Christian Church & Schools
African Christians Fellowship
African Church
African Church Mission
African Church of Jesus Christ in Kenya
African Church of the Holy Spirit
African Church The
African Congregational Church
African Covenant Church
African Disciples of Christ
African Divine Church
African Evangelical Presbyterian Ch
African Faith Tabernacle Church
African Free Presb Church of Zimbabwe
African Full Gospel Church
African Gospel Church
African Holy Zionist Church
African Independent Church of Kenya
African Independent Pentecostal Church of Africa
African Interior Church
African Methodist Church in Zimbabwe
African Methodist Episcopal Church
African Methodist Episcopal Zion Ch
African Mission of Holy Ghost Church
African National Church
African National/International Church.....
55.- 41,992 The rest of the A's through Z
41,993. Confrinting
41,994. Orville
41,995. 4GVN
41,996. OLDJG
41,997. justachristian1
41,998. New Age
41,999. Marge
42,000.+ Whomever on this forum that we missed
ALL have their own "self appointed popes and rely upon "inventing and creating" their own "modernistic" (relative)truth.

Prince George, Canada

#459725 Jul 7, 2013
I don't agree with Woody Allen. I believe if there is a god, the god is the ONLY source of evil. After all, the devil would be deader than a rat if the all-powerful god didn't approve of evil.

Theology is silly.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

Woody Allen
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#459726 Jul 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
The reason there are so many Catholics on planet earth is not because they taught truth, but rather because they forced others to join their religion way back when. The choice was to join or be tortured and put to death.
The numbers didn't become high by honest means. Not even close.
1)Ignorance, 2)hostility, 3)vengeance and 4)animosity toward the Catholic Church is "bliss" June and you have a "monoply on all four!!
NO ONE has, was or is being forced to join the Catholic Church!
The Spirit of God, in and through Jesus Christ (for over 2000 years)has, is and continues to lead people to the TRUTH of Jesus and His One (and only one) TRUE Catholic Church!!!

Prince George, Canada

#459727 Jul 7, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
"inventing and creating" their own "modernistic" (relative)truth.
Is archaic "relative" truth preferable to the modernistic relative truth???

:)

Prince George, Canada

#459728 Jul 7, 2013
I don't believe in life after death, but I'd like to believe in life before death. I'd like to think that one of these days we'll leave superstition and delusional thinking and Jerry Falwell behind. Scientists would like that, too. But for now, they like their grants even more."

Natalie Angier

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 3 min DENG 38,374
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Nohweh 38,680
Everyone in my school thinks im a slut because ... (Apr '09) 15 min Suckmeoff77 32
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min Brian_G 970,107
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 44,454
Leslie Van Houten's parole hearing August 2009 (Jul '09) 1 hr Jimmy 1,582
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 104,762
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Steve III 618,440
More from around the web