Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646921 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#459536 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thousands of protestant fundie posts ranting and raving about sex abuse by Catholic priests and the minute one mentions they have thier own problems it becomes a contest. Funny there's never a peep from you June when they're screaming. Not really an equal opportunity religion hater are you?
Actually I have many times brought up the fact that molestation and cover-ups occurred in many Protestant churches, and other places worship concerning other religions, but that the Catholic church being a central organization takes the most flack, so you are wrong.

I also mentioned on more than one occasion that molestation of children is common in homes all over the world, so it is simply common sense that the same type of molestation and cover-ups would occur in places of worship.

Whether religious or not religious, humans will be human.

Prince George, Canada

#459537 Jul 6, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
OldJG
All Christians are Catholic.
You are again being silly.

I suggest it is an insult to refer to a Protestant as Catholic, as they broke away from Catholicism, just as Catholics broke away from Judaism.

Why you would pull that stunt is a mystery to me.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#459538 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Then not "all have sinned".
And book, chapter, verse where age of accountability is mentioned.
22100 to aunt

Anthony MN wrote: So after you joined the SBC the preacher told you you were no longer an expert liar, multiple adulterer and abuser....he must be quite the salesman.
----------
He said no such thing...I knew then as I know now, I am an ex expert liar...never an adulterer due to any marital status...never an abuser...

Now...tell me you never lied....ever...

Prince George, Canada

#459539 Jul 6, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect.
Of course your opinion of what I bash is all that is important to you concerning that subject. Otherwise you wouldn't have brought the subject up in the first place.

The fact is, I don't favor one religion over another, and you know that is true.

I don't have use for "any" religion whatsoever.

People can be kind without religion and they can be damned mean when in religion. So religion doesn't improve human character.

Prince George, Canada

#459541 Jul 6, 2013
When I found out that a specific nurse had worked in a unit of the hospital where abortions were performed, I asked her if it bothered her conscience in any way to assist these women. When she said that it didn't bother her conscience at all, I asked if she believed in women having abortions. She assured me that she did not personally believe in it for herself, but she knew that others did not believe the way she did, and then she assured me that she felt it a good thing that women who were determined to have abortions had the best possible care.

I found out that when her grandmother was a young women, she had (what was then referred to as a back-street abortion). And (as happened in so many cases) she died and left the children and husband to fend for their selves.

Location hidden

#459542 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Any Christian knows the Bible does not teach a particular age of accountability....because we are all individuals and not preset robots...

All have sinned...only a Catholic would call God a liar!!!!

However, not all are held accountable for their acts of sin...per Scripture.

If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

Plus:
Catholic Essentials

Sin is defined as, "Any thought, word, or deed against the Law of God."

Any one with an ounce of brain can understand when a person, for whatever reason, cannot produce a thought, word, or deed against the Law of God, is not held accountable for their actions...

Ever hear of "Not guilty by reason of insanity"???

Prince George, Canada

#459543 Jul 6, 2013
Ruby Keeler was a devout Catholic (very popular tap-dancer and movie star) who was able to divorce the also very popular singer Al Jolson in 1940.

She had been married to Al Jolson for 12 years and claimed emotional abuse as her reason for wanting a divorce.

For those with wealth, "god" didn't seem to have any trouble with Catholics getting a divorce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Keeler

Imagine all the women who took beatings, lived in poverty, continually pregnant and barefoot, and yet were not allowed to leave their husbands according to the men of the clergy ... because "god" ordained that marriage was forever.

Religion is bunk!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#459544 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
JESUS SAID

THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS LIKE CHILDREN...INNOCENT

Mat_19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me:

-->for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Mar_10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of
--> such is the kingdom of God.

Luk_18:16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not:

--> for of such is the kingdom of God.

JESUS SAID WE WERE TO BECOME AS A LITTLE CHILD...INNOCENT

Mar_10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

Luk_18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

QUESTION
IF LITTLE CHILDREN ARE SUCH SINNERS..AND ONLY WORTHY OF DEATH....WHY

DID JESUS SET THEM UP (SAY THEY WERE) AS EXAMPLES FOR US TO FOLLOW...?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459545 Jul 6, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Any Christian knows the Bible does not teach a particular age of accountability....because we are all individuals and not preset robots...
All have sinned...only a Catholic would call God a liar!!!!
However, not all are held accountable for their acts of sin...per Scripture.
If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.
Plus:
Catholic Essentials
Sin is defined as, "Any thought, word, or deed against the Law of God."
Any one with an ounce of brain can understand when a person, for whatever reason, cannot produce a thought, word, or deed against the Law of God, is not held accountable for their actions...
Ever hear of "Not guilty by reason of insanity"???
I agree with Catholic teaching.
Your fundie brethren however insist "all have sinned", meaning every human being. That would have to include infants, children and the mentally handicapped.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459546 Jul 6, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
22100 to aunt
Anthony MN wrote: So after you joined the SBC the preacher told you you were no longer an expert liar, multiple adulterer and abuser....he must be quite the salesman.
----------
He said no such thing...I knew then as I know now, I am an ex expert liar...never an adulterer due to any marital status...never an abuser...
Now...tell me you never lied....ever...
Well, I've never claimed to have never lied. And I certainly never claimed to be an expert liar. Your "marital status" according to protestant doctrine until a few years ago would be considered "adulterous", but apparently you can live with that. As far as abuse, only you know the answer.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459547 Jul 6, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"speaking to"
The definition of "addressing" which means "speaking to" does not limit "speaking to" only to angels. So, every time I speak to my dog, I am following your Catholic teaching!!!!!
If you think your dead dog is in heaven and can help you, go for it.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459548 Jul 6, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
JESUS SAID
THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS LIKE CHILDREN...INNOCENT
Mat_19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me:
-->for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
Mar_10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of
--> such is the kingdom of God.
Luk_18:16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not:
--> for of such is the kingdom of God.
JESUS SAID WE WERE TO BECOME AS A LITTLE CHILD...INNOCENT
Mar_10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
Luk_18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.
QUESTION
IF LITTLE CHILDREN ARE SUCH SINNERS..AND ONLY WORTHY OF DEATH....WHY
DID JESUS SET THEM UP (SAY THEY WERE) AS EXAMPLES FOR US TO FOLLOW...?
You can't use "all have sinned" as ammunition to insist Mary was a sinner then cite infants, children and mentally handicapped as an exception.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#459549 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If a deity exists it needs to carry all the shame for creating such a horrible mess that it knew beforehand would occur.
And I have no remorse for having such an opinion.
Since none of us live forever,the world since its beginning holds the memory of each and every generation,and what basically occurred,events and all!

I find your statement somewhat true,but lacking the all encompassing volume of happenings both good and bad in all generations.You cannot sum up just the bad to put God on the "guilty as charged" platform.For we do not know how many years which have passed witnessed great and marvelous events that shaped many lives.Suffering is a part of life,so physical wearing down always caused such in the past.BUT we do not know how many human beings lived interesting exemplary lives,inspite of whatever transpired around them.

You will not be able to weigh the good or terrible events without being in each and every year from the beginning of time as this earth knows it.

News and almanacs,Encyclopedias have recorded many of both events,and we are always stricken by the worst,which are remembered more than the good.AND you call me a dooms day preacher?
Pad

Rockford, IL

#459550 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jesus was a "religious" Jew, he was a rabbi.
If he was not a religious Jew, he was not the son of a god, as gods (according to theology) are super-"religious."
Do you get THAT drift?
I suggest you stop trying to imply that a religious Jew would support Christianity.
No one especially Christians expect religious Jews to support christianity.That is presently of course.We know that Judaism teaches what God gave to them as the Law and the fulfilling aspects of that law when implemented and practised on a daily routine by Jews world-wide.

Christianity is not a religion of the Law,and never was meant to be so,it is based on unmerited grace.The traditional Jews will never be able to relate to that concept.But they canrelate to faith in God,and trusting Him to help them with both their enemies and their troubles.

What should be a common cord between Jews and Christians is JUST G O D.The same God is worshiped by both.The traditional Jew will not be allowed to see Christianity as some sort of offspring of their Jewish tradition,because Orthodox Judaism is the strongest force of believing Jews,and they beleive that only they have the True Torah,and definitin of the God of Israel.But the problem for them is that Christianity has grown so much more than Judaism.EVEN Muhammed prophesied that Christianity would far surpass the Jews,and be a thorn in their flesh.Unfortunately he was right in his projection,and Christianity has been also an oppressor of Judaism,but not because Jesus has inspired them to be so.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#459551 Jul 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Virtually NO CHRISTIANS are Roman Catholic.
A key distinction between Roman Catholics and Christians is the view of the Bible. Roman Catholics view the Bible as having equal authority with the Church and tradition. Christians view the Bible as the supreme authority for faith and practice.
A second key difference between Roman Catholics and Bible Christians is the understanding of how we can approach God. Roman Catholics tend to approach God through intermediaries, such as Mary or the saints. Christians approach God directly, offering prayers to no one other than God Himself.
The most crucial difference between Roman Catholics and Bible Christians is on the issue of salvation. Roman Catholics view salvation almost entirely as a process, while Christians view salvation as both a completed status and a process. Roman Catholics see themselves as “being saved,” while Christians view themselves as “having been saved.” I Corinthians 1:2 says,“To those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy.” The words “sanctified” and “holy” come from the same Greek root. This verse is declaring that Christians are both sanctified and called to be sanctified. The Bible presents salvation as a gift that is received the moment a person places faith in Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16). When a person receives Christ as Savior, he/she is justified (declared righteous – Romans 5:9), redeemed (rescued from slavery to sin – I Peter 1:18), reconciled (achieving peace with God – Romans 5:1), sanctified (set apart for God’s purposes – I Corinthians 6:11), and born again as a new creation (I Peter 1:23; II Corinthians 5:17). Each of these is fully accomplished at the moment of salvation. Christians are then called to live out practically (called to be holy) what is already true positionally (sanctified).
The Roman Catholic viewpoint is that salvation is received by faith, but then must be “maintained” by good works and participation in the Sacraments. Bible Christians do not deny the importance of good works or that Christ calls us to observe the ordinances in remembrance of Him and in obedience to Him. The difference is that Christians view these things as the result of salvation, not a requirement for salvation or a means of maintaining salvation. Salvation is an accomplished work, purchased by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ (I John 2:2). God offers us salvation and assurance of salvation because Jesus’ sacrifice was fully, completely, and perfectly sufficient. If we receive God’s precious gift of salvation, we can know that we are saved. I John 5:13 declares, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may KNOW that you have eternal life.”
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
OldJG
All Christians are Catholic. All Catholics are Christians. Those who seek to exclude some, are judging them, and are then judged.
For by grace ye are saved through faith. It is not the work of faith that saves. It is by grace you are saved.
If tradition is practice, then your "key distinction" is not a true supposition and conclusion.
If Roman Catholics pray directly to God, and supplement their prayers with asking other saints for prayers to God, then your "second key difference" is wrong.(Which it is, imho.)
Sanctification is a process. You are equating salvation and sanctification which is an equivocation.
Let us try reading the beginning of my post! Sentence #1....Virtually NO CHRISTIANS are Roman Catholic.!!!!! Facts about faith, worship and salvation and the beliefs thereof are proof positive ROMAN CATHOLICS for the most part are NOT Christian. End of story. No judgment! The proof is in the pudding. Have you ever heard that expression?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#459552 Jul 6, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Christians view the Bible as the supreme authority for faith and practice."
No, fundies view themselves as the supreme authority for faith and practice based on their private judgement of scripture. Catholics follow the bible which doesn't one word about being the supreme authority.
" Roman Catholics tend to approach God through intermediaries, such as Mary or the saints."
Wrong. We pray directly to God. Prayers to the saints is the no different than a fundie asking a fellow pew warmer to pray for them.
The rest of this is more of the same misrepresented garbage. Wouldn't this loser be better off actually citing an official Catholic source?
Thank you for your MORONIC IGNORANT ROMAN perspective. You are a professional liar and have perfected your trade. Your theology is well equipped to fool idiots like yourself. Anyone who owns a Bible and has studied it will be able to expose you for the pagan pitiful lost satan worshiper you truly are. Go hide in a hole with your father, the devil!!!!!!!!!!
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#459553 Jul 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Virtually NO CHRISTIANS are Roman Catholic.
A key distinction between Roman Catholics and Christians is the view of the Bible. Roman Catholics view the Bible as having equal authority with the Church and tradition. Christians view the Bible as the supreme authority for faith and practice.
A second key difference between Roman Catholics and Bible Christians is the understanding of how we can approach God. Roman Catholics tend to approach God through intermediaries, such as Mary or the saints. Christians approach God directly, offering prayers to no one other than God Himself.
The most crucial difference between Roman Catholics and Bible Christians is on the issue of salvation. Roman Catholics view salvation almost entirely as a process, while Christians view salvation as both a completed status and a process. Roman Catholics see themselves as “being saved,” while Christians view themselves as “having been saved.” I Corinthians 1:2 says,“To those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy.” The words “sanctified” and “holy” come from the same Greek root. This verse is declaring that Christians are both sanctified and called to be sanctified. The Bible presents salvation as a gift that is received the moment a person places faith in Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16). When a person receives Christ as Savior, he/she is justified (declared righteous – Romans 5:9), redeemed (rescued from slavery to sin – I Peter 1:18), reconciled (achieving peace with God – Romans 5:1), sanctified (set apart for God’s purposes – I Corinthians 6:11), and born again as a new creation (I Peter 1:23; II Corinthians 5:17). Each of these is fully accomplished at the moment of salvation. Christians are then called to live out practically (called to be holy) what is already true positionally (sanctified).
The Roman Catholic viewpoint is that salvation is received by faith, but then must be “maintained” by good works and participation in the Sacraments. Bible Christians do not deny the importance of good works or that Christ calls us to observe the ordinances in remembrance of Him and in obedience to Him. The difference is that Christians view these things as the result of salvation, not a requirement for salvation or a means of maintaining salvation. Salvation is an accomplished work, purchased by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ (I John 2:2). God offers us salvation and assurance of salvation because Jesus’ sacrifice was fully, completely, and perfectly sufficient. If we receive God’s precious gift of salvation, we can know that we are saved. I John 5:13 declares, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may KNOW that you have eternal life.”
<quoted text>
Let us try reading the beginning of my post! Sentence #1....Virtually NO CHRISTIANS are Roman Catholic.!!!!! Facts about faith, worship and salvation and the beliefs thereof are proof positive ROMAN CATHOLICS for the most part are NOT Christian. End of story. No judgment! The proof is in the pudding. Have you ever heard that expression?
Why aren't 'Roman' Catholics Christian?

I'm a Roman Catholic and I profess Jesus Christ to be my savior and to which no other name can one be saved. I love Christ almighty with all my heart and soul. I desire to do good like Christ commanded and look forward to the day He comes again to judge the living and the dead.

If a madman put a gun to my head and said, "Deny Christ' I would allow him to put the bullet into my brain. I will never deny Christ.

So..... Old Gee says I'm not a Christian?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#459554 Jul 6, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>A divorced man can serve in the office of deacon or pastor....IF HE HAS REPENTED. Divorce you ignorant people,is NOT the unforgiveable sin. All a divorced person need do is REPENT and on repentance that places him back in good standng with God. Lucky for us God is not as judgemental and unforgiving as a bunch of self righteous hypocrites that loves to point fingers and say look what you did,look what you did. I can't stand them.
Your ignorance is only exceeded by your arrogance.

I Timothy 3:10-15, 10 "And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. 11 Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. 13 For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus. 14 I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these things to you so that, 15 if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth."
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#459555 Jul 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Why aren't 'Roman' Catholics Christian?
I'm a Roman Catholic and I profess Jesus Christ to be my savior and to which no other name can one be saved. I love Christ almighty with all my heart and soul. I desire to do good like Christ commanded and look forward to the day He comes again to judge the living and the dead.
If a madman put a gun to my head and said, "Deny Christ' I would allow him to put the bullet into my brain. I will never deny Christ.
So..... Old Gee says I'm not a Christian?
Cly said, quote, "I desire to do good like Christ commanded and look forward to the day He comes again to judge the living and the dead." End quote.

Where did Jesus command us to DO GOOD?

You speak as did your supposed first pope, Peter.

Matthew 26:34, "Jesus said to him, "Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times."
Wasn't this directed towards Peter?

Cly, you deny Jesus every time you eat Him and believe He is a cracker. You deny who He really is and what He has really done. A cracker did not die on a cross did it?
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#459556 Jul 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Cly said, quote, "I desire to do good like Christ commanded and look forward to the day He comes again to judge the living and the dead." End quote.
Where did Jesus command us to DO GOOD?
You speak as did your supposed first pope, Peter.
Matthew 26:34, "Jesus said to him, "Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times."
Wasn't this directed towards Peter?
Cly, you deny Jesus every time you eat Him and believe He is a cracker. You deny who He really is and what He has really done. A cracker did not die on a cross did it?
Are you saying Christ never commanded anyone to do good?

Here are a few examples:
Thou shall not kill.
Thou shall not steal.
Thou shall not bear false witness.

I do not deny Christ in the Eucharist. Neither does any Christian before the reformation. I've had the Eucharist, and if somebody held a gun to my head and ordered me to deny it, they can just pull the trigger.

What would you do if a madman ordered you to burn your KJV? You'd just get some other Book or start your own!!
The abyss is endless with sola scripture.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 8 min Johnny 753
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 23 min RiccardoFire 105,676
How to solve racism (and sexism) once and for all 28 min Johnny 9
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 30 min RiccardoFire 44,722
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 32 min WasteWater 2,103
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 45 min Peter Ross 49,390
The Red Sky prophecy. 1 hr reader 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Joe Fortuna 971,800
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr ChristineM 445,751
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 9 hr patsy the shared ... 26
More from around the web