Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 22,155)

Showing posts 443,081 - 443,100 of511,666
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 09

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be easier if there were no truth in it.
But that's not so.
I believe the claim that a god inspired men to write words is not true. And if my assessment is correct, that means that none of the countless words men wrote concerning all religion were based on truth.

Do you believe that Joseph Smith heard words from a god and that the god instructed him to "restore" the gospel to it's original meanings?

I suggest you would believe that only if you are a Mormon.

Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They were ex-Jews....
Incorrect.

Do I hafta learn ya everything, June?

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Do you see how easy this girl was persuaded to believe that a god spoke to Joseph Smith?

The same thing happened to humans concerning all religion.

Somebody stated that a god or goddess relayed messages to one or another arrogant fool, and the gossip spread and spread.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Saint Behind Enemy Lines, by Olga Kovarova Campora.

One day while I was reading 3 Nephi, chapter 11, which described the appearance of Jesus Christ in America after his resurrection, I was deeply touched and felt the Spirit.

Suddenly I came to a new and very important understanding: If I could feel such a strong and beautiful spirit from the Book of Mormon, which was translated by Joseph Smith, why should I question his vision? He certainly must be a man chosen by God to be able to translate such powerful scriptures. I knew the scriptural accounts were true, and if they were true, Joseph Smith had to be a true prophet of God.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

The manipulation of a cult.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

I struggled. I knew that without having a testimony concerning Joseph Smith’s first vision and his role as a servant to God, I couldn’t be baptized.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

[QUOTE who="confrinting with
Pro 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Pro 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
[/QUOTE]

How come you only follow the written word of God?
Where in the Bible does it say to only follow the written documents?

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

The Mormons teach that Joseph Smith was "called by God" to restore the gospel. And the devotees must believe it, because they are Mormons.

And I suggest that you keep in mind that Joseph Smith was a polygamist. Yet the Mormons that practice monogamy don't seem to take THAT part of the issue into account.

Being told that they are saints has a lot of clout to believers.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

While I was pondering these ideas, I felt that all the reason for my troubles with accepting Joseph Smith was that I wanted to understand his mission from only one side—only to reach an intellectual acceptance of his mission—but I wasn’t actually looking for the real reason he was called by God and was chosen to restore the gospel.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How come you only follow the written word of God?
Where in the Bible does it say to only follow the written documents?
:)

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

To speak for a god, one first should know that a god exists ... and that is not at all possible, as the only supposed ever-conflicting data came from the pens of men.

And that is the truth.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They were ex-Jews.
Faithful Jews practiced and practice ONLY Judaism.
The pope is Catholic. If he became a Protestant, he would no longer be Catholic. The same goes for Jews. If they converted to Christianity, they were no longer Jews in the sense of their religion.
I suggest you don't be so silly.
Many Jews who walked with Jesus and joined His new religion would disagree. They believed they were still 'practicing Judaism' but in a more profound way. Instead of sacrificing a lamb in the temple, they saw the Lamb get sacrificed on Calvary. They continued to partake in the supper of the Lamb instead of sacrificing a real animal. Catholicism is Judaism. It doesn't matter if you can find some Jews who'll disagree with that statement because I can find some who will agree.
Who's the authority to determine who's right? The Jews who say Catholicism is not the fulfillment of Judaism??
Or the Jews like the early Christians who say it is?

No 21st century feminist atheist has any valid opinion on the matter. ie it doesn't concern you.
LTM

Elliot Lake, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Battling Ego

July 5, 2013 — by Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Our Daily Bread Radio is hosted by Les Lamborn

Read: James 4:6-17

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.—James 4:6

Bible in a Year:
Job 30-31; Acts 13:26-52

When a general returned from a victorious battle, ancient Rome would stage a parade to welcome the conqueror home. The parade would include the general’s troops, as well as trophy captives who had been brought along as evidence of the victory. As the parade made its way through the city, the crowds would cheer their hero’s success.

To prevent the general’s ego from becoming unduly swollen, a slave rode along with him in his chariot. Why? So that as the Roman throngs heaped praise on the general, the slave could continually whisper in his ear,“You too are mortal.”

When successful, we too may lose sight of our own frailty and allow our hearts to fill with destructive pride. James pointed us away from the danger of pride by pointing us to humility and to God. He wrote,“God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble”(James 4:6). The key to that statement is grace. Nothing is more wonderful! The Lord alone deserves thanks and praise—especially for the grace He has lavished on us.

Our achievements, success, or greatness are not rooted in ourselves. They are the product of God’s matchless grace, upon which we are eternally dependent.
New mercies every morning,
Grace for every day,
New hope for every trial,
And courage all the way.—Mc Veigh

God’s grace is infinite love expressing itself through infinite goodness.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Having been under the spell of religion I am fully aware of the fuzzy warm emotions that comfort a believer in the idea that a creator is a buddy to whom one can confide feelings of despair and joy.

But when I would step back and observe the harm caused by religious right-righters, suddenly the fussy warmth mattered no more.

I studied for years and the more I studied, the more I found religion as a whole sadly lacking in substance and having no bearing on nailing down absolute truth whatsoever.

Religion is bunk!
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the claim that a god inspired men to write words is not true. And if my assessment is correct, that means that none of the countless words men wrote concerning all religion were based on truth.
Do you believe that Joseph Smith heard words from a god and that the god instructed him to "restore" the gospel to it's original meanings?
I suggest you would believe that only if you are a Mormon.
Joseph Smith was a casualty of the Bible alone movement. He read and interpreted the Christian Bible and was so inspired he decided to start his own. He really is no different than the posters here. They may not have composed their own words, but the sure as heck applied their own meanings to words already written and explained.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Many Jews who walked with Jesus and joined His new religion would disagree.
You wouldn't just happen to be a Catholic ... would you???

Silly!

To claim that Jesus supports your Catholicism and works in Catholic confessionals means that if he lived he became a traitor to Judaism and his own people.

I suggest we all know what would you think of the pope if he became a Protestant. Well that is what the faithful Jews would have thought of Jesus, if he had become a supporter of Catholicism.

You can see it ... but you don't want to see it, as you place very high value on that word "salvation."

Religion is bunk!

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
Battling Ego
Is YOUR ego still UP for preaching words that supposedly came straight from a god???

:)

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Joseph Smith was a casualty of the Bible alone movement.
It's just as possible that he received new revelations from a god, as that the early Catholics received new revelations from a god.

Let's be fair. Either god spoke to all of those "prophets" or to none of them.

My guess is, that no god or goddess ever spoke to humans. It was just a "matter" of egos gone wild.
Wendy

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

True religion does not condone molestation of millions of kiddies.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

Popes instigated the idea into gullible minds that a god wanted heretics and witches put to death ... and the people believed it, as they didn't question that the pope might not be speaking for a god at all.

Ignorance is NOT bliss.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

we not care for nice lips and nice words.its some they judged you nice and killed you nice way..
it is written
they not honor me less love me..its lips
Anthony MN

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

OldJG wrote:
Salvation is not obtained by good works, but by living faith in Christ and His finished work. Ephesians 2:8-9, 8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast." The Roman Catholic church teaches people that their salvation depends primarily on themselves, and that it is of works. It puts people under a system of endless rules and obligations. Those under law are not under grace.(Galatians 5:4; Romans 6:14). Unlike the early Christians John wrote to, a Roman Catholic cannot "know" that he "has" eternal life.(1 John 5:12,13).
I Timothy 2:5-6, 5 "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time." To believe we need priests, saints, Mary or anyone to get to God except Jesus Christ is heresy. It means to disbelieve God's Word and create our own religious system. It is to invite spiritual deception. It takes away from the centrality of Jesus Christ.
God said that beside him there is no other Savior. Isaiah 43:11, "I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior." This certainly tells us Mary is not a Savior, in spite of what popes and priests have taught by word and example for centuries! No wonder many Muslims think that Christians believe that Mary is part of the Trinity. Millions of Roman Catholics treat her as a Savior and as a goddess.(The same spirit that led the Hebrew women into the idolatrous worship of the "Queen of Heaven" is responsible for the Mariology of today's Roman Catholics. Jeremiah 44:17-19)
Mary had other children after Jesus according to the Scriptures (yet only Jesus had a virgin birth). "Is this not the carpenter's son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?" (Matthew 13:55-56) See also Matthew 12:46-49; Mark 3:31-34; Mark 6:3; Luke 8:19-21; John 7:5; 1 Corinthians 9:5, Jude 1. The prime example was James, the brother of Jesus, became the leader of the church in Jerusalem!(Acts 15:13; compare Acts 12:2 - a different James)
The Bible nowhere teaches that Mary was sinless , as it does concerning Jesus. On the contrary, the Bible says that "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)
God forbids the bowing down to graven images and pictures in the Ten Commandments!(Exodus 20:4). The Roman Catholic church has tried to change this commandment, but it remains in the Bible for all to read. This is idolatry. This idolatry has brought spiritual blindness upon multitudes.
The Mass taught by the Roman Catholic church is idolatry and blasphemy. To worship something, like a cracker, which is not God is idolatry. To call something which is not God to be God is blasphemy.
Baptism does not make you a Christian. The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch (Acts 11:26). There is no Biblical evidence the disciples were baptized. You need to be a disciple of Jesus before you have Biblical right to call yourself a Christian. Why did Paul say that Christ did not send him to baptize, but to preach the gospel?(1 Corinthians 1:17).
No church on earth can be rightly called our mother. Galatians 4:26, "But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother." Rome was prophesied by John in the Book of Revelation chapter 17, and is described as "The Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth". Revelation 17:9, "This calls for a mind with wisdom: the seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman is seated;". Rome has seven hills!
"a man is justified by works and not by faith alone"

Where does Revelation say Rome is "The Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth"?

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

When I was under the spell of religion, I used to believe that God was real and had influence over my life.

After I left religion, I understood that from childhood on I was simply trained to believe that way.

Religion is very self-serving and creates nothing but trouble among the varying cults who are trained to defend only their own dogmas at all costs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 443,081 - 443,100 of511,666
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

641 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min wilderide 679,291
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 min Zioni 109,370
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min KiMare 89,381
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Aura Mytha 216,329
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 27 min Al Capone 3,303
Gay Snapchat Names 48 min Gaydish523 1,295
avandia 2014 55 min AlmostDied 75
teen snapchat nudes 1 hr TheFrozenJogurt 103
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 5 hr JACK 216