Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
442,941 - 442,960 of 533,887 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

it is written
about rejection
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is a mess of contradictions. That is why I never trusted that any of it was based on truth.
It would be easier if there were no truth in it.

But that's not so.

Life's messy. Clean it up.

I've been watching too much TV, huh?

Since: Sep 09

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
As a mountaineer I have always believed the best way to handle a serpent is with a hoe...
and make every effort to cut off his tail behind his ears.
UH HUH!

Serpent-killers are in "high" demand HUH???

:)

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe wrong, June.
But you don't need my permission to believe anything you please.
It matters not to me if the first Christians were or were not Catholic. They simply were break-away Jews intent on seeking power over others ... and it was the Catholics that succeeded when the emperor Constantine gave them full control over all other religious and non-religious beings in the Roman empire.

That is my concept of history. Others are free to disagree.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

its written
did you sold your soul to whom..
what so ever you gain on the end you are loser because of that..
now
poor and negleted as well who is prosecuted don't need be clean any more
finale will come
pure soul or all dirty money and evil things
are deference between evil and good as well righteousness
don't pretend with your lips
i will reject who reject me tooooo
who judge me they judge themselfffffffffff
it is written don't judge
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It matters not to me if the first Christians were or were not Catholic....
Good.

Cuz they weren't.

The first believers in the Jesus movement were Jews, followed by Gentiles who never heard or dreamed of a universal church.

You haven't been following along with my posts, huh, June?

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Imagine the stupidity of bible authors referring to Sodom and Gomorrah as being destroyed by "god" because of sin ... when Christians believed that the whole world was full of sin.

Fear and ignorance drove many of them to jump off cliffs trying to escape their own bodies.

Religion is without a doubt the worst blight to infect the minds of humans.

Non-human animals were and are fortunate that they don't suffer from such stupidity.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Good.
Cuz they weren't.
The first believers in the Jesus movement were Jews,
They were ex-Jews.

Faithful Jews practiced and practice ONLY Judaism.

The pope is Catholic. If he became a Protestant, he would no longer be Catholic. The same goes for Jews. If they converted to Christianity, they were no longer Jews in the sense of their religion.

I suggest you don't be so silly.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be easier if there were no truth in it.
But that's not so.
I believe the claim that a god inspired men to write words is not true. And if my assessment is correct, that means that none of the countless words men wrote concerning all religion were based on truth.

Do you believe that Joseph Smith heard words from a god and that the god instructed him to "restore" the gospel to it's original meanings?

I suggest you would believe that only if you are a Mormon.

Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They were ex-Jews....
Incorrect.

Do I hafta learn ya everything, June?

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Do you see how easy this girl was persuaded to believe that a god spoke to Joseph Smith?

The same thing happened to humans concerning all religion.

Somebody stated that a god or goddess relayed messages to one or another arrogant fool, and the gossip spread and spread.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Saint Behind Enemy Lines, by Olga Kovarova Campora.

One day while I was reading 3 Nephi, chapter 11, which described the appearance of Jesus Christ in America after his resurrection, I was deeply touched and felt the Spirit.

Suddenly I came to a new and very important understanding: If I could feel such a strong and beautiful spirit from the Book of Mormon, which was translated by Joseph Smith, why should I question his vision? He certainly must be a man chosen by God to be able to translate such powerful scriptures. I knew the scriptural accounts were true, and if they were true, Joseph Smith had to be a true prophet of God.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

The manipulation of a cult.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

I struggled. I knew that without having a testimony concerning Joseph Smith’s first vision and his role as a servant to God, I couldn’t be baptized.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

[QUOTE who="confrinting with
Pro 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Pro 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
[/QUOTE]

How come you only follow the written word of God?
Where in the Bible does it say to only follow the written documents?

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

The Mormons teach that Joseph Smith was "called by God" to restore the gospel. And the devotees must believe it, because they are Mormons.

And I suggest that you keep in mind that Joseph Smith was a polygamist. Yet the Mormons that practice monogamy don't seem to take THAT part of the issue into account.

Being told that they are saints has a lot of clout to believers.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

While I was pondering these ideas, I felt that all the reason for my troubles with accepting Joseph Smith was that I wanted to understand his mission from only one side—only to reach an intellectual acceptance of his mission—but I wasn’t actually looking for the real reason he was called by God and was chosen to restore the gospel.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How come you only follow the written word of God?
Where in the Bible does it say to only follow the written documents?
:)

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

To speak for a god, one first should know that a god exists ... and that is not at all possible, as the only supposed ever-conflicting data came from the pens of men.

And that is the truth.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They were ex-Jews.
Faithful Jews practiced and practice ONLY Judaism.
The pope is Catholic. If he became a Protestant, he would no longer be Catholic. The same goes for Jews. If they converted to Christianity, they were no longer Jews in the sense of their religion.
I suggest you don't be so silly.
Many Jews who walked with Jesus and joined His new religion would disagree. They believed they were still 'practicing Judaism' but in a more profound way. Instead of sacrificing a lamb in the temple, they saw the Lamb get sacrificed on Calvary. They continued to partake in the supper of the Lamb instead of sacrificing a real animal. Catholicism is Judaism. It doesn't matter if you can find some Jews who'll disagree with that statement because I can find some who will agree.
Who's the authority to determine who's right? The Jews who say Catholicism is not the fulfillment of Judaism??
Or the Jews like the early Christians who say it is?

No 21st century feminist atheist has any valid opinion on the matter. ie it doesn't concern you.
LTM

Elliot Lake, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Battling Ego

July 5, 2013 — by Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Our Daily Bread Radio is hosted by Les Lamborn

Read: James 4:6-17

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.—James 4:6

Bible in a Year:
Job 30-31; Acts 13:26-52

When a general returned from a victorious battle, ancient Rome would stage a parade to welcome the conqueror home. The parade would include the general’s troops, as well as trophy captives who had been brought along as evidence of the victory. As the parade made its way through the city, the crowds would cheer their hero’s success.

To prevent the general’s ego from becoming unduly swollen, a slave rode along with him in his chariot. Why? So that as the Roman throngs heaped praise on the general, the slave could continually whisper in his ear,“You too are mortal.”

When successful, we too may lose sight of our own frailty and allow our hearts to fill with destructive pride. James pointed us away from the danger of pride by pointing us to humility and to God. He wrote,“God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble”(James 4:6). The key to that statement is grace. Nothing is more wonderful! The Lord alone deserves thanks and praise—especially for the grace He has lavished on us.

Our achievements, success, or greatness are not rooted in ourselves. They are the product of God’s matchless grace, upon which we are eternally dependent.
New mercies every morning,
Grace for every day,
New hope for every trial,
And courage all the way.—Mc Veigh

God’s grace is infinite love expressing itself through infinite goodness.

Smithers, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Having been under the spell of religion I am fully aware of the fuzzy warm emotions that comfort a believer in the idea that a creator is a buddy to whom one can confide feelings of despair and joy.

But when I would step back and observe the harm caused by religious right-righters, suddenly the fussy warmth mattered no more.

I studied for years and the more I studied, the more I found religion as a whole sadly lacking in substance and having no bearing on nailing down absolute truth whatsoever.

Religion is bunk!
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the claim that a god inspired men to write words is not true. And if my assessment is correct, that means that none of the countless words men wrote concerning all religion were based on truth.
Do you believe that Joseph Smith heard words from a god and that the god instructed him to "restore" the gospel to it's original meanings?
I suggest you would believe that only if you are a Mormon.
Joseph Smith was a casualty of the Bible alone movement. He read and interpreted the Christian Bible and was so inspired he decided to start his own. He really is no different than the posters here. They may not have composed their own words, but the sure as heck applied their own meanings to words already written and explained.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

348 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 min petesayke sekik 115,890
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min curiouslu 722,611
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min sweets2360 224,744
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min Buck Crick 257,193
cleaning black dollar \ cleaning black currency... (Sep '12) 10 min joy 29
Rants and Raves: Obama 'birther' myth lives 11 min yon 4
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 21 min yon 164
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 30 min i_need_massage 486
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 8 hr varun 125