Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 574,467
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#459100 Jul 5, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How come you only follow the written word of God?
Where in the Bible does it say to only follow the written documents?
:)

Terrace, Canada

#459101 Jul 5, 2013
To speak for a god, one first should know that a god exists ... and that is not at all possible, as the only supposed ever-conflicting data came from the pens of men.

And that is the truth.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#459102 Jul 5, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They were ex-Jews.
Faithful Jews practiced and practice ONLY Judaism.
The pope is Catholic. If he became a Protestant, he would no longer be Catholic. The same goes for Jews. If they converted to Christianity, they were no longer Jews in the sense of their religion.
I suggest you don't be so silly.
Many Jews who walked with Jesus and joined His new religion would disagree. They believed they were still 'practicing Judaism' but in a more profound way. Instead of sacrificing a lamb in the temple, they saw the Lamb get sacrificed on Calvary. They continued to partake in the supper of the Lamb instead of sacrificing a real animal. Catholicism is Judaism. It doesn't matter if you can find some Jews who'll disagree with that statement because I can find some who will agree.
Who's the authority to determine who's right? The Jews who say Catholicism is not the fulfillment of Judaism??
Or the Jews like the early Christians who say it is?

No 21st century feminist atheist has any valid opinion on the matter. ie it doesn't concern you.
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#459103 Jul 5, 2013
Battling Ego

July 5, 2013 — by Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)

Our Daily Bread Radio is hosted by Les Lamborn

Read: James 4:6-17

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.—James 4:6

Bible in a Year:
Job 30-31; Acts 13:26-52

When a general returned from a victorious battle, ancient Rome would stage a parade to welcome the conqueror home. The parade would include the general’s troops, as well as trophy captives who had been brought along as evidence of the victory. As the parade made its way through the city, the crowds would cheer their hero’s success.

To prevent the general’s ego from becoming unduly swollen, a slave rode along with him in his chariot. Why? So that as the Roman throngs heaped praise on the general, the slave could continually whisper in his ear,“You too are mortal.”

When successful, we too may lose sight of our own frailty and allow our hearts to fill with destructive pride. James pointed us away from the danger of pride by pointing us to humility and to God. He wrote,“God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble”(James 4:6). The key to that statement is grace. Nothing is more wonderful! The Lord alone deserves thanks and praise—especially for the grace He has lavished on us.

Our achievements, success, or greatness are not rooted in ourselves. They are the product of God’s matchless grace, upon which we are eternally dependent.
New mercies every morning,
Grace for every day,
New hope for every trial,
And courage all the way.—Mc Veigh

God’s grace is infinite love expressing itself through infinite goodness.

Terrace, Canada

#459104 Jul 5, 2013
Having been under the spell of religion I am fully aware of the fuzzy warm emotions that comfort a believer in the idea that a creator is a buddy to whom one can confide feelings of despair and joy.

But when I would step back and observe the harm caused by religious right-righters, suddenly the fussy warmth mattered no more.

I studied for years and the more I studied, the more I found religion as a whole sadly lacking in substance and having no bearing on nailing down absolute truth whatsoever.

Religion is bunk!
Clay

Chicago, IL

#459105 Jul 5, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the claim that a god inspired men to write words is not true. And if my assessment is correct, that means that none of the countless words men wrote concerning all religion were based on truth.
Do you believe that Joseph Smith heard words from a god and that the god instructed him to "restore" the gospel to it's original meanings?
I suggest you would believe that only if you are a Mormon.
Joseph Smith was a casualty of the Bible alone movement. He read and interpreted the Christian Bible and was so inspired he decided to start his own. He really is no different than the posters here. They may not have composed their own words, but the sure as heck applied their own meanings to words already written and explained.

Terrace, Canada

#459106 Jul 5, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Many Jews who walked with Jesus and joined His new religion would disagree.
You wouldn't just happen to be a Catholic ... would you???

Silly!

To claim that Jesus supports your Catholicism and works in Catholic confessionals means that if he lived he became a traitor to Judaism and his own people.

I suggest we all know what would you think of the pope if he became a Protestant. Well that is what the faithful Jews would have thought of Jesus, if he had become a supporter of Catholicism.

You can see it ... but you don't want to see it, as you place very high value on that word "salvation."

Religion is bunk!

Terrace, Canada

#459107 Jul 5, 2013
LTM wrote:
Battling Ego
Is YOUR ego still UP for preaching words that supposedly came straight from a god???

:)

Terrace, Canada

#459108 Jul 5, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Joseph Smith was a casualty of the Bible alone movement.
It's just as possible that he received new revelations from a god, as that the early Catholics received new revelations from a god.

Let's be fair. Either god spoke to all of those "prophets" or to none of them.

My guess is, that no god or goddess ever spoke to humans. It was just a "matter" of egos gone wild.
Wendy

Los Angeles, CA

#459109 Jul 5, 2013
True religion does not condone molestation of millions of kiddies.

Terrace, Canada

#459110 Jul 5, 2013
Popes instigated the idea into gullible minds that a god wanted heretics and witches put to death ... and the people believed it, as they didn't question that the pope might not be speaking for a god at all.

Ignorance is NOT bliss.
truth

Perth, Australia

#459111 Jul 5, 2013
we not care for nice lips and nice words.its some they judged you nice and killed you nice way..
it is written
they not honor me less love me..its lips
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#459112 Jul 5, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Salvation is not obtained by good works, but by living faith in Christ and His finished work. Ephesians 2:8-9, 8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast." The Roman Catholic church teaches people that their salvation depends primarily on themselves, and that it is of works. It puts people under a system of endless rules and obligations. Those under law are not under grace.(Galatians 5:4; Romans 6:14). Unlike the early Christians John wrote to, a Roman Catholic cannot "know" that he "has" eternal life.(1 John 5:12,13).
I Timothy 2:5-6, 5 "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time." To believe we need priests, saints, Mary or anyone to get to God except Jesus Christ is heresy. It means to disbelieve God's Word and create our own religious system. It is to invite spiritual deception. It takes away from the centrality of Jesus Christ.
God said that beside him there is no other Savior. Isaiah 43:11, "I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior." This certainly tells us Mary is not a Savior, in spite of what popes and priests have taught by word and example for centuries! No wonder many Muslims think that Christians believe that Mary is part of the Trinity. Millions of Roman Catholics treat her as a Savior and as a goddess.(The same spirit that led the Hebrew women into the idolatrous worship of the "Queen of Heaven" is responsible for the Mariology of today's Roman Catholics. Jeremiah 44:17-19)
Mary had other children after Jesus according to the Scriptures (yet only Jesus had a virgin birth). "Is this not the carpenter's son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?" (Matthew 13:55-56) See also Matthew 12:46-49; Mark 3:31-34; Mark 6:3; Luke 8:19-21; John 7:5; 1 Corinthians 9:5, Jude 1. The prime example was James, the brother of Jesus, became the leader of the church in Jerusalem!(Acts 15:13; compare Acts 12:2 - a different James)
The Bible nowhere teaches that Mary was sinless , as it does concerning Jesus. On the contrary, the Bible says that "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)
God forbids the bowing down to graven images and pictures in the Ten Commandments!(Exodus 20:4). The Roman Catholic church has tried to change this commandment, but it remains in the Bible for all to read. This is idolatry. This idolatry has brought spiritual blindness upon multitudes.
The Mass taught by the Roman Catholic church is idolatry and blasphemy. To worship something, like a cracker, which is not God is idolatry. To call something which is not God to be God is blasphemy.
Baptism does not make you a Christian. The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch (Acts 11:26). There is no Biblical evidence the disciples were baptized. You need to be a disciple of Jesus before you have Biblical right to call yourself a Christian. Why did Paul say that Christ did not send him to baptize, but to preach the gospel?(1 Corinthians 1:17).
No church on earth can be rightly called our mother. Galatians 4:26, "But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother." Rome was prophesied by John in the Book of Revelation chapter 17, and is described as "The Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth". Revelation 17:9, "This calls for a mind with wisdom: the seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman is seated;". Rome has seven hills!
"a man is justified by works and not by faith alone"

Where does Revelation say Rome is "The Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth"?

Terrace, Canada

#459113 Jul 5, 2013
When I was under the spell of religion, I used to believe that God was real and had influence over my life.

After I left religion, I understood that from childhood on I was simply trained to believe that way.

Religion is very self-serving and creates nothing but trouble among the varying cults who are trained to defend only their own dogmas at all costs.

Terrace, Canada

#459114 Jul 5, 2013
Wendy wrote:
True religion does not condone molestation of millions of kiddies.
What IS a true religion? Is it one that brags to be a favorite of a god?

Terrace, Canada

#459115 Jul 5, 2013
Pierre Berton … Starting Out 1920-1947

As religious editor I lost the final shreds of a tattered faith. I covered the major sermons of the day or at least procured transcripts or briefs, interviewed evangelists and priests, and came to the conclusion that religion was bunk. As Clem Davies, the local Bible thumper, told the press in a rare piece of off-the-record candour:“Boys, I found there was money in this God stuff.”
truth

Perth, Australia

#459116 Jul 5, 2013
Creator not created you for any wicket sabath
as well Creator not created you for suffering..
byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Terrace, Canada

#459117 Jul 5, 2013
If you can't be a relatively kind human without religion, it is my guess you certainly won't be at all kind when you get a taste of religion.

Power corrupts and when preachers grab those "holy" books and start right-fighting ... as history proved again and again ... trouble is sure to follow.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#459118 Jul 5, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't just happen to be a Catholic ... would you???
Silly!
To claim that Jesus supports your Catholicism and works in Catholic confessionals means that if he lived he became a traitor to Judaism and his own people.
I suggest we all know what would you think of the pope if he became a Protestant. Well that is what the faithful Jews would have thought of Jesus, if he had become a supporter of Catholicism.
You can see it ... but you don't want to see it, as you place very high value on that word "salvation."
Religion is bunk!
I can see it just fine. There is no doubt the Jews in the first century saw Christians as 'Protestants' so to speak.

Religion is bunk you say?
I think most religions point people in the right direction. But there can only be one fullness of truth. I see no reason to believe that the Catholic Church is not who they say they are.
I was raised Catholic, but unlike many, I tried to move away from Catholicism. I desperately wanted what the born agains were preaching. I wanted to believe that the religion I grew up in was bogus so I could justify my new approach to life.
But that truth thing can be a real pain in the ass.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#459119 Jul 5, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Having been under the spell of religion I am fully aware of the fuzzy warm emotions that comfort a believer in the idea that a creator is a buddy to whom one can confide feelings of despair and joy.
But when I would step back and observe the harm caused by religious right-righters, suddenly the fussy warmth mattered no more.
I studied for years and the more I studied, the more I found religion as a whole sadly lacking in substance and having no bearing on nailing down absolute truth whatsoever.
Religion is bunk!
By the MOST part, people of any particular belief system are so because their family jammed it down their throats from infancy.

Born to a catholic or protestant family at 55 main street anytown america you were indoctrinated into Jesus being the one to worship, with the attitude "we are right and you are not"

Born to a Muslim family across the street at 56 main street anytown america one is taught to believe Allah is who we worship above all.

Religious belief is just a hand-me-down family tradition to appease mom and dad, as they appeased their parents and grandparents who came before.

Very few people today find religion on their own. Many who do leave their family faith often pay the price of being SHUNNED by their own family for not carrying the religious banner of their families faith.

.......very sad!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Stilgar Fifrawi 810,558
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 5 min Non _cents 4,641
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Charlie Sheen 269,088
Last Word + 2 (Jul '14) 14 min Non _cents 1,051
Do white girls like Hispanic guys? (Girls who a... (Jan '14) 16 min Jon 29
Mom's that have fantasized about doing somethin... 23 min Jon 1
If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 24 min WasteWater 976
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Seentheotherside 608,281
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 97,925
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 11 hr perfect massage r... 206
More from around the web