Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646742 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459250 Jul 5, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
What I personally do not understand ..And let me say growing up I had wonderful nuns and priests.
And abuse is all over.
But why in the name of all that is holy dud they NOT JUST SEND TBEM TO MONASTERIES..get them counselling ..great ...But the CC is perhaps the only organization that could have found PL a car,for them to repent ..do service...AND NOT HURT ANOTHER CHILD.
WHY move then to parishes. With kids??
That is what I do not understand.
Priests have a special relationship.with parishioners. Why give them another bite of the Apple so to speak..when it's CHIKDRENS LIVES ST STAKE..
If they had..the world would never have heard a thing..children would be safer and the CC REPRESENTING OUR LORD would not get spit on ..
They didn't just send them to another parish, they sent them to treatment (as was the prevailing course of action) and then reassigned them when the mental health professionals said they were "cured". It was a mistake.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#459251 Jul 5, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wanted ta make the point sis...
okie dokie...lol
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459252 Jul 5, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not only about the child sex-abuse ... it's about the centuries of cover-ups by men who were entrusted to take care of children and failed to perform their duties.
You seem to sweep that issue under the carpet with all the other atrocities performed by those men in a god's name.
If you really worshipped a god, you would condemn the men who blasphemed the god's name ... but instead you defend them.
Not defending. They were treated in the manner recommended by the mental health community at the time. They should have gone to jail with the bishops, but you can't jump in a time machine.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#459253 Jul 5, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
What I personally do not understand ..And let me say growing up I had wonderful nuns and priests.
And abuse is all over.
But why in the name of all that is holy dud they NOT JUST SEND TBEM TO MONASTERIES..get them counselling ..great ...But the CC is perhaps the only organization that could have found PL a car,for them to repent ..do service...AND NOT HURT ANOTHER CHILD.
Priests have a special relationship.with parishioners. Why give them another bite of the Apple so to speak..when it's CHIKDRENS LIVES ST STAKE..
If they had..the world would never have heard a thing..children would be safer and the CC REPRESENTING OUR LORD would not get spit on ..
The prevailing view was that they could be cured. Psychiatrists did say that they were ok and they had repented. Most were put in places where they would not be in contact with children. The church rotates priests to give parishes a broader spectrum not to just hide abusers. The church did view that just expelling them to go out and offend someone somewhere else was also not the answer. Do we have the answer for them anywhere today? No The best we can do is prevent them from being in a circle and they are being weeded out.

In school cases a principal who knew about a teacher will often say something like he told me he would never do it again and I believed him. It was in the 60s when kenzie and others were pushing it. There are still organizations like Nambla and others who push the sexual line and what constitutes a minor. In Islamic countries 6 years olds. Google ayatollah Khomeneni and what he wrote. Aisha was 6 years old when Mohummad took her and consumated at 9.

Yes some bad decisions were made and its all sad, but child abuse laws were not often in place in until the 70's. There were psychiatrists arguing that it did no harm to children. There is no excuse for it, but I dont think anyone really knew nor understood the scope of the problem. For those that are delighting in attacking the church there is plenty of coverups that have been exposed in protesttant, secular, Jewish or any other organization for that matter. How about everyone just acknowledge that there are predators and have standard policies everywhere. Good people do not act like many in here. Protestants began to move more quickly after the Church was hit. Many have praised the Church for its many reforms and have sought to emulate those reforms. The church has paid a heavy toll, but for some nothing short of closing down hospitals and schools and charity programs for lack of funds will do. No catholic wants their child to be abused. I just want a reality check for people. It is not a Catholic issue only. The church has meticulous records, a hiearchy and assets. That alone makes it a Target. It is a good thing though. If you had watched the Priest on ETWN in 2002 they let the bishops have it pretty good. Many were angry and upset. The bottom line is there is no excuse. The psychiatric community was wrong, bad decisions were made and people got hurt. Sin has a way of exposing itself better sooner than later. Not excusing it Rose, but there are many great priests and nuns who would never do such things and they cant be all lumped as they have been so often in here. There are protestant churches who cover it up or silently dismiss a preacher who goes down the street. Is that the answer? The SBC refused to have a data base of offendors. Is that the answer? I dont think its fair to attack any organization for the sins of men especially with something that is still blurry to the anwer. We are not condemning protestants to hell for having abusers but are challenging those who claim they dont exist in their church and do nothing but point fingers. 5 are pointing back.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#459254 Jul 5, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Not defending. They were treated in the manner recommended by the mental health community at the time. They should have gone to jail with the bishops, but you can't jump in a time machine.
The priests were moved from one parish to another where they were not given any therapy, but WERE given the chance to molest again and again.

It was all about the men of the hierarchy protecting the image of the church rather than the children, and that is what you are still doing today.

Prince George, Canada

#459255 Jul 5, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't just send them to another parish, they sent them to treatment (as was the prevailing course of action) and then reassigned them when the mental health professionals said they were "cured". It was a mistake.
Where were these treatment centers that you state existed.

I don't believe you.
LTM

Kingston, Canada

#459256 Jul 5, 2013
"What is Judaism and what do Jews believe?"

Answer: What is Judaism, and who or what is a Jew? Is Judaism simply a religion? Is it a cultural identity or just an ethnic group? Are Jews a clan of people or are they a nation? What do Jews believe, and do they all believe the same things?

Dictionary definitions of a “Jew” include “a member of the tribe of Judah,”“an Israelite,”“a member of a nation existing in Palestine from the 6th century B.C. to the 1st century A.D.,”“a person belonging to a continuation through descent or conversion of the ancient Jewish people,” and “one whose religion is Judaism.”

According to rabbinical Judaism, a Jew is one who has a Jewish mother or one who has formally converted to Judaism. Leviticus 24:10 is often cited to give this belief credibility, although the Torah makes no specific claim in support of this tradition. Some rabbis say that it has nothing to do with what the individual actually believes. These rabbis tell us that a Jew does not need to be a follower of Jewish laws and customs to be considered Jewish. In fact, a Jew can have no belief in God at all and still be Jewish based on the above rabbinical interpretation.

Other rabbis make it clear that unless the person follows the precepts of the Torah and accepts the “Thirteen Principles of Faith” of Maimonides (Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, one of the greatest medieval Jewish scholars), he cannot be a Jew. Although this person may be a “biological” Jew, he has no real connection to Judaism.

In the Torah—the first five books of the Bible—Genesis 14:13 teaches that Abram, commonly recognized as the first Jew, was described as a “Hebrew.” The name “Jew” comes from the name of Judah, one of the twelve sons of Jacob and one of the twelve tribes of Israel. Apparently the name “Jew” originally referred only to those who were members of the tribe of Judah, but when the kingdom was divided after the reign of Solomon (1 Kings 12), the term referred to anyone in the kingdom of Judah, which included the tribes of Judah, Benjamin, and Levi. Today, many believe that a Jew is anyone who is a physical descendant of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, regardless of which of the original twelve tribes he descends from.

cont
LTM

Kingston, Canada

#459257 Jul 5, 2013
cont
So, what is it that Jews believe, and what are the basic precepts of Judaism? There are five main forms or sects of Judaism in the world today. They are Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, Reconstructionist, and Humanistic. The beliefs and requirements in each group differ dramatically; however, a short list of the traditional beliefs of Judaism would include the following:

God is the creator of all that exists; He is one, incorporeal (without a body), and He alone is to be worshipped as absolute ruler of the universe.

The first five books of the Hebrew Bible were revealed to Moses by God. They will not be changed or augmented in the future.

God has communicated to the Jewish people through prophets.

God monitors the activities of humans; He rewards individuals for good deeds and punishes evil.

Although Christians base much of their faith on the same Hebrew Scriptures as Jews do, there are major differences in belief: Jews generally consider actions and behavior to be of primary importance; beliefs come out of actions. This conflicts with conservative Christians for whom belief is of primary importance and actions are a result of that belief.

Jewish belief does not accept the Christian concept of original sin (the belief that all people have inherited Adam and Eve's sin when they disobeyed God's instructions in the Garden of Eden).

Judaism affirms the inherent goodness of the world and its people as creations of God.

Jewish believers are able to sanctify their lives and draw closer to God by fulfilling mitzvoth (divine commandments).

No savior is needed or is available as an intermediary.

The 613 commandments found in Leviticus and other books regulate all aspects of Jewish life. The Ten Commandments, as delineated in Exodus 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21, form a brief synopsis of the Law.

The Messiah (anointed one of God) will arrive in the future and gather Jews once more into the land of Israel. There will be a general resurrection of the dead at that time. The Jerusalem Temple, destroyed in A.D. 70 by the Romans, will be rebuilt.

Beliefs about Jesus vary considerably. Some view Him as a great moral teacher. Others see Him as a false prophet or as an idol of Christianity. Some sects of Judaism will not even say His name due to the prohibition against saying an idol's name.

The Jews are often referred to as God's chosen people. This does not mean that they are in any way to be considered superior to other groups. Bible verses such as Exodus 19:5 simply state that God has selected Israel to receive and study the Torah, to worship God only, to rest on the Sabbath, and to celebrate the festivals. Jews were not chosen to be better than others; they were simply selected to be a light to the Gentiles and to be a blessing to all the nations.

Prince George, Canada

#459258 Jul 5, 2013
This man finally left the priesthood.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST … edited by Samuel F. B. Morse, A. M.… published in 1837 by John S. Taylor, New York, comes the following.

It is natural, after this picture, to inquire if Catholic priests go themselves to confession, and if they avow all their crimes; to this I answer,-They are obliged to go to confession every fortnight, or at least once in three weeks, because their Superiors make inquiries about that point very carefully; and it is an eminent recommendation to the Superiors to apply often and to the celebrated confessors. Many of the priests make their whole faith to consist in efficaciousness to the confession, and they avow all their crimes to their confessor the same day in which they commit them. They believe firmly, that because a man whom they know as vicious as themselves has pronounced upon their head those words “Ego te absolvo,”—“I absolve thee,” in extending their hand, they believe their sins all blotted out, their conscience whitened and pure, and on the same evening they renew again the same crimes.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#459259 Jul 5, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
MY OPINION IS THAT
Your are attempting to bring up INCONSEQUENTIAL subjects that have no bearing upon GOD'S ETERNAL PLAN OF SALVATION...
ACCENTUATING THE FRIVOLOUS FOR SELF AGGRANDIZEMENT SAKE...
Foolish mortal. Not one verse in Gods word is inconsequential. It bothers the unlearned such as yourself when one brings up topics from the Bible that you are clueless about and since you are clueless to certain Bible topics,you refer to them as inconsequential. As I stated, NOT ONE VERSE IN GODS WORD IS INCONSEQUENTIAL. Well they may be in the spiritually bankrupt church you attend but not in my congregation.

Oftentimes we simply choose any Bible topic at random and start discussing them. Never have anyone in my congregation ever referred to any topic in Gods word as inconsequential. We can even take a topic such as JESUS WEPT and expound on it to such a degree that it will have the ears of the Biblically illiterate like yourself just ringing. Only a servant of Lucifer would call any part of Gods word inconsequential as you have. You have been weighed, measured and found SEVERELY LACKING.

Prince George, Canada

#459260 Jul 5, 2013
LTM wrote:
"What is Judaism and what do Jews believe?"
cont
If Jesus was a "religious" Jew, he was a rabbi.

If he was not a religious Jew, he was not the son of a god, as gods (according to theology) are super-"religious."

Do you get THAT drift?

I suggest you stop trying to imply that a religious Jew would support Christianity.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#459261 Jul 5, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And abuse is all over.
Truth has a way of exposing itself...despite the layers of extravagant cloths placed on it.
You can coat a pig in 24 karat gold, but underneath it is still just a pig...So it is with the cathaholic church.
It is high time the world recognized this simple fact...

Location hidden

#459262 Jul 5, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
The topic is abuse. You lost. I answred the homosexual question. Your deflections doesnt change that.
It is not deflection, it is FACT!
FACTS that you can NOT deny!

Location hidden

#459263 Jul 5, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If a deity exists it needs to carry all the shame for creating such a horrible mess that it knew beforehand would occur.
And I have no remorse for having such an opinion.
I do NOT need your support for my opinions or facts.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#459264 Jul 5, 2013
who="Clay "
I see your favorite subject has come up, so will come back on to discuss child sexual abuse!
You're the king of trash internet outlets. In fact, they only exist because of gullible bigots like yourself.
(6 guilty Priests last yr, Tom. Six)

Talk about GULLIBLE...

KM

Prince George, Canada

#459265 Jul 5, 2013
I can just picture a Jewish rabbi absolving Catholics of their sins in a Catholic confessional.

And if Jesus died FOR their sins, why are they continually begging forgiveness FOR their sins?

Silly stuff indeed.
LTM

Kingston, Canada

#459266 Jul 5, 2013
"Was Jesus a Jew?"

Answer: One needs only to search the internet today to determine that there is great controversy and disagreement over the question of whether Jesus of Nazareth was actually Jewish. Before we can answer this question adequately, we must first ask another question: who (or what) is a Jew? Even this question has its controversial elements, and the answer depends on who is answering. But one definition that each of the major sects of Judaism— Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform—would probably agree to is,“A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.”

Although the Hebrew Bible does not specifically state anywhere that matrilineal descent should be used, modern rabbinical Judaism believes that there are several passages in the Torah where this is understood or implied, such as Deuteronomy 7:1-5; Leviticus 24:10; and Ezra 10:2-3. Then there are several examples in Scripture of Gentiles converting to Judaism (i.e., Ruth, the Moabitess; see Ruth 1:16 where Ruth voices her desire to convert) and are considered every bit as Jewish as an ethnic Jew.

So, let’s consider these three questions: Was Jesus a Jew ethnically? Was Jesus an observant Jew religiously? And then finally, if Jesus was a Jew, why don’t Christians follow Judaism?

Was Jesus a Jew ethnically, or was his mother a Jew? Jesus clearly identified with the Jews of His day, His physical people and tribe, and their religion (although correcting its errors).. God purposely sent Him to Judah:“He came to His own [Judah], and His own [Judah] did not receive Him. But as many [Jews] as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name...(John 1:11-12 NKJV), and He clearly said, "You [Gentiles] worship what you do not know; we [Jews] know what we [Jews] worship, for salvation is of the Jews”(John 4:22).

cont

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#459267 Jul 5, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and not much was understood on the subject ..I get that ..just they could have avoided so much ..They certainly have places they could go away from people ...

It's sad because it's a black eye ..not just for the Church but the faith too.

Imo
LTM

Kingston, Canada

#459268 Jul 5, 2013
cont
The very first verse of the New Testament clearly proclaims the Jewish ethnicity of Jesus.“The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham”(Matthew 1:1). It is evident from passages like Hebrews 7:14,“For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah,” that Jesus descended from the tribe of Judah, from which we get the name “Jew.” And what about Mary, the mother of Jesus? In the genealogy in Luke chapter 3, we see clearly that Mary was a direct descendant of King David which gave Jesus the legal right to ascend the Jewish throne as well as establishing without any doubt that Jesus was a Jew ethnically.

Was Jesus an observant Jew religiously? Both of Jesus' parents had “done everything required by the Law of the Lord”(Luke 2:39). His aunt and uncle, Zechariah and Elizabeth, were also Torah-observant Jews (Luke 1:6), so we can see that probably the whole family took their Jewish faith very seriously.

In the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5–7), Jesus continually affirmed the authority of the Torah and the Prophets (Matthew 5:17) even in the Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 5:19-20). He regularly attended synagogue (Luke 4:16), and His teaching was respected by the other Jews of His day (Luke 4:15). He taught in the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem (Luke 21:37), and if He were not a Jew, His going into that part of the Temple would simply not have been allowed (Acts 21:28-30).

Jesus also displayed the outward signs of being an observant Jew. He wore tzitzit (tassles) on His clothing (Luke 8:43; Matthew 14:36) to serve as a reminder of the commandments (Numbers 15:37-39). He observed Passover (John 2:13) and went up to Jerusalem (Deuteronomy 16:16) on this very important Jewish pilgrimage feast day. He observed Succoth, or the feast of tabernacles (John 7:2, 10) and went up to Jerusalem (John 7:14) as required in the Torah. He also observed Hanukah, the festival of lights (John 10:22) and probably Rosh Hashanah, the feast of trumpets (John 5:1), going up to Jerusalem on both those occasions as well, even though it isn't commanded in the Torah. Clearly, Jesus identified Himself as a Jew (John 4:22) and as King of the Jews (Mark 15:2). From His birth to His last Passover Seder (Luke 22:14-15), Jesus lived as an observant Jew.

cont

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#459269 Jul 5, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>Heck there is even evidence that king David and Jonathan,king Saul's son may have had an homosexual relationship with each other. In my house the court is still out on that one because I'm studying those verses a bit closer. I found tyhe following about King James.
http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/was_king ...
I have a comment but I think I shall reserve that statement at this time.
~~~~
QUESTION
ARE YOU ATTEMPTING TO BRING DAVID..(AND THOSE IN THE OLD TESTAMENT) DOWN TO YOUR FILTHY WAY OF THINKING IN ORDER TO CONTINUE A LIFESTYLE OF HOMOSEXUALITY?
WITH OUT FEELING GUILT..
___
EXCERPT FROM STEPHENS SERMON...from the New Testament..
IN
Act_13:22 And when he had removed him,
he raised up unto them David to be their king;
to whom also he gave testimony,...and said,
==> I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart,
which shall fulfill all my will.
___
HOMOSEXUALITY IS A CURSE ...BROUGHT ABOUT BY DISOBEDIENCE TO GOD'S WORD...
Example from God's word...TO PROVE IT...
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
NOTE LESBIANISM
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
HOMOSEXUALS
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
A REPROBATE MIND
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
LIST OF SINS THAT COME .... AS THE RESULT OF IDOLATRY
Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH...Eternal separation from God..
Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
For some reason I sense that you're envious of me. I seem to have the gift of Spiritual discernment and I discern that you're harboring some envy. God has given me the gift to be able to expound on His word to a degree that many can't and when one like yourself that fancies himself/herself a Bible scholar and one comes along and demonstrates just how really biblically you really are, you attack that person. And if any topic I choose to just throw out there and discuss as any true servant of God may sometimes do,yours is not to refer to that topic as inconsequential if that topic is from Gods word. If the topic bothers you because you are not qualified to discuss said topic on a deeper level then may I suggest that you hold your peace or leave the forum and submit your displeasure to prayer.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min nanoanomaly 971,750
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Bongo 49,067
Bring back thd human sexuality forum? 19 min Qlalsos 7
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min Say the Truth 281,275
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 25 min hungtexas69 24
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 44,707
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr KellyP in Jersey 2,087
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 hr Annaleigh 105,636
I want to watch my wife flirt and get picked up... (Aug '12) Jun 26 Tboyslick125 151
More from around the web