Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
442,601 - 442,620 of 538,820 Comments Last updated 3 min ago
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#458740 Jul 3, 2013
Not Intended To Be Written.

Please notice the following quotations from Catholic sources:

"If Christ Himself had written the book and set it forth as a text-book, so to speak, of His religion, we would rest securely in it, and have no need to inquire farther. That the Bible is not a book, like the Koran for instance, set forth by the founder of the religion as its authoritative exposition, is in fact the fundamental weakness of Bible Protestantism.

If Christ had intended His religion to be propagated and preserved by means of a book, can any conceivable reason be urged why He should not have written one? Of His ability to do so there can, for the Christian, be no question." (Plain Facts for Fair Minds, p. 26).

"Is it not strange that if Christianity were to be learned from the Bible only, that Christ himself never wrote a line or commanded his apostles to write; for their divine commission was not to write but to preach the gospel." (Question Box, p. 70).

"Christ gave his disciples no command to write, but only to teach." (Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 767).

The above arguments from Catholic writers are presented to establish that the Bible alone is not the standard of authority. Christ didn't actually take a pen in His hand and write the New Testament; nevertheless, it is His production. The Old Testament declares that God built the temple (1 Kings 8:16,20), but God did not actually come down and build it Himself. He built it through the agency of others. Likewise, the written New Testament is the will of Christ. He wrote it through those commissioned by Him. It contains His laws (1 Cor. 14:37) and produces the faith which brings life in His name (John 20:30-31).

Christ commanded the apostle John, "Write therefore the things that thou hast seen, and the things that are, and the things that are to come hereafter." (Rev. 1:19). Thus, the Catholic officials are incorrect when they say Christ never commissioned His apostles to write. In many books of the prophets of the Old Testament there are no commands to write, but it was God's will that they do so in order to preserve their words for all generations.

The Catholic officials have assumed that the command to the apostles to teach excluded written instruction. However, writing the inspired Scriptures was part of the work of the apostles and prophets in delivering God's message to man. Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away." (Matt. 24:35). In John 12:48 Jesus taught that His word would be the standard of judgment in the last day. He said, "He that despiseth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him, the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day." (Catholic Rheims Translation). Companion verses show that men will be judged by "the gospel" (Rom. 2:16), "the law of liberty" (James 2:12), and "the books" (Rev. 20:12). All of these are similar and reveal that men will be judged by the New Testament of Christ in the last day.

In providing an eternal standard of judgment, Jesus could have easily given His own personal writings if that had been His will. Instead, He chose to give us His writings by means of those whom He commissioned as His ambassadors. He gave them the same words which He received from the Father (John 17:8). He did not leave them as ordinary men subject to the frailties and fallacies of human nature, nor did He leave them to their own memories to recall His deeds and teaching; rather, He gave them the Holy Spirit who guided them into all truth (John 16:13), and brought to their remembrance all that He had said to them (John 14:26). The written words of the New Testament were not the product of mere chance, but were divinely purposed and planned
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#458741 Jul 3, 2013
Not Intended To Be Circulated.

We mention again that present day Catholic officials would like people to believe that the Catholic Church loves and respects the Bible as ordained of God. However, in reality the Catholic Church does not love and revere the Bible, but is opposed to it as the only authority in religion. All of their claims of honor and devotion are smothered when they try to defeat the Bible as the sole standard. One such example is their assertions that the Bible was never intended to be circulated or gathered into one volume. Please notice the following from Catholic sources:

"The Apostles are never reported to have circulated a single volume of the Holy Scripture, but 'they going forth, preached everywhere, the Lord co-operating with them.'(Mark xvi. 20)." (The Faith of Our Fathers, p. 66).

"They owe their existence to lucky chance. For example, Paul's letters were written to a particular section of the country that he had converted, and some letters were written to personal friends. All of these were never intended to be circulated." (From a letter received from my older brother who was at the time a student at St. Meinrad Seminary, St. Meinrad, Ind.).

The inspired Scriptures were not written solely for the ones to whom they were sent. For example, 1 Cor. 1:2 says, "To the church of God at Corinth, to you who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be saints with all who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place--their Lord as well as ours." Eph. 1:1 says, "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the will of God, to all the saints who are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus." (Catholic Rheims Trans.). Thus, the Scriptures were written to all the faithful--to all who call upon the name of the Lord in every place.

The apostles themselves put their writings into circulation. "And when this letter has been read among you, see that it be read in the church of the Laodicians also; and that you yourselves read the letter from Laodicea." (Col. 4:16). "I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read to all the holy brethren." (1 Thess. 5:27). The Scriptures do not owe their existence to mere chance, but to the power and providence of God for He declared that His word would abide forever (1 Pet. 1:23-25).
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#458742 Jul 3, 2013
Not Expected To Be Gathered Into One Volume.

Again, notice the following from Catholic sources:

"But nothing was further from the minds of the writers, and of the Apostles generally, than that these writings be gathered together and made into a book, which would be accepted as a complete statement of the doctrine of Christianity. Any one of them would have been shocked had he known that his letters would in time be made use of by heretics in an attempt of usurping the place of the authoritative teacher, the Church of Jesus Christ." (The Faith and the Facts, p. 348).

"There is in them no evidence whatever to suggest that it was the expectation of the writers that what they had written would one day be gathered together to become a part of the New Testament." (Campaigners for Christ Handbook, p. 162).

There is evidence in the Scriptures that the inspired men looked forward to time when the written New Testament would be completed. They looked ahead to a time when the miraculous powers of the Holy Spirit would be done away. There are three chapters on the subject of spiritual gifts in the book of First Corinthians--12, 13, and 14. These chapters not only describe the kinds of gifts but also reveal that the gifts would cease when that which is perfect--the written New Testament--came. In Chapter 13, verse 8, Paul said, "Charity never fails, whereas prophecies will disappear, and tongues will cease, and knowledge will be destroyed." These were spiritual gifts which were given to the Christians at Corinth before the written New Testament was completed. They had "the word of wisdom" and "the word of knowledge" by the miraculous endowment of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 12:8).

Paul continued in 1 Cor. 13:9-10, "For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when that which is perfect has come, that which is imperfect will be done away with." Clearly, Paul looked for something to come that was perfect which did not exist at that time, and he expected something which was then in part to be done away. The written New Testament is that which is perfect. It is the perfect law of liberty (James 1:25). While the New Testament was being written, it was in its infancy but when completed, it was as a full grown man. Paul went on to say in 1 Cor. 13:11, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I have become a man, I have put away the things of a child." Thus, the New Testament is "that which is perfect" and is "the full grown man" spoken of by Paul.

The inspired writers intended that their writings be circulated, and they knew that one day their efforts would constitute a "perfect" or "complete" work. We are not saying that every one of them fully understood God's purpose in providing the written New Testament, but they knew that the things they were writing were designed to produce faith (John 20:31), were to provide every good work (2 Tim. 3:16-17), were the commandments of the Lord (1 Cor. 14:37), and would be the standard of judgment in the last day (Rev. 20:12).
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#458743 Jul 3, 2013
Not Accessible To All

A priest by the name of John A. O'Brien in his book, The Faith of Millions, says that the Bible alone is not a safe guide because it is not now and never has been accessible to all.(See pages 152-155). He argues this by saying on page 152:

"First, the Scriptures were not accessible to the primitive Christians, for the simple reason that they were not all written until many years after the establishment of Christianity."

It is certainly true that Christianity had already been introduced before the New Testament Scriptures were written, but that does not prove the Scriptures alone are not the guide for Christianity today. Although God's word in written form was not accessible to the first Christians, they had His word as their only source of authority. They received it directly from infallible teachers rather than from infallible writings. The following chart illustrates this fundamental principle:
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#458744 Jul 3, 2013
WORD OF GOD IN

INSPIRED MEN

WORD OF GOD IN

INSPIRED WRITINGS

ALL ORAL

Apostles and prophets

directed to speak the word

of God, Acts 1:8.

Had miraculous powers

to confirm their word,

Heb. 2:1-4; 2 Cor. 12:12.

WORD OF GOD IN ORAL FORM ONLY, 1 Cor. 2:3-13; 1 Thess. 2:13.
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#458745 Jul 3, 2013
BOTH ORAL & WRITTEN

Apostles and prophets

directed also to write,

Rev. 1:19.

Inspired writings put

into circulation,

1 Thess. 5:27; Col. 4:16.

WORD OF GOD BOTH ORAL AND WRITTEN, 2 Thess. 2:15; 2 Pet. 3:1-2.
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#458746 Jul 3, 2013
WORD OF GOD IN

INSPIRED WRITINGS

ALL WRITTEN

Apostles and prophets

delivered the faith,

Jude 3.

Miraculous powers

pass away,

1 Cor. 13:8-9.

WORD OF GOD IN WRITTEN FORM ONLY, 2 Tim. 3:15-17.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#458747 Jul 3, 2013
LTM wrote:
Not Accessible To All
A priest by the name of John A. O'Brien in his book, The Faith of Millions, says that the Bible alone is not a safe guide because it is not now and never has been accessible to all.(See pages 152-155). He argues this by saying on page 152:
"First, the Scriptures were not accessible to the primitive Christians, for the simple reason that they were not all written until many years after the establishment of Christianity."
It is certainly true that Christianity had already been introduced before the New Testament Scriptures were written, but that does not prove the Scriptures alone are not the guide for Christianity today. Although God's word in written form was not accessible to the first Christians, they had His word as their only source of authority. They received it directly from infallible teachers rather than from infallible writings. The following chart illustrates this fundamental principle:
Can someone whittle these posts down to a couple cogent sentences?
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#458748 Jul 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice guy Peter Kreeft. Did you know he is a Catholic convert from protestantism?
http://chnetwork.org/2011/10/hauled-aboard-th...
What different does that make? If he thought like a catholic when he was a Protestant (whatever Protestant means) then how much sense does that make. He either gets it right or go where he thinks he is.
Am I saying all Protestants are right? No the catholic church is not the only heretic church alive or dead.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#458749 Jul 3, 2013
LTM wrote:
"Is the Bible truly God's Word?"
Answer: Our answer to this question will not only determine how we view the Bible and its importance to our lives, but also it will ultimately have an eternal impact on us. If the Bible is truly God’s Word, then we should cherish it, study it, obey it, and fully trust it. If the Bible is the Word of God, then to dismiss it is to dismiss God Himself.
The fact that God gave us the Bible is an evidence and illustration of His love for us. The term “revelation” simply means that God communicated to mankind what He is like and how we can have a right relationship with Him. These are things that we could not have known had God not divinely revealed them to us in the Bible. Although God’s revelation of Himself in the Bible was given progressively over approximately 1500 years, it has always contained everything man needs to know about God in order to have a right relationship with Him. If the Bible is truly the Word of God, then it is the final authority for all matters of faith, religious practice, and morals.
The question we must ask ourselves is how can we know that the Bible is the Word of God and not just a good book? What is unique about the Bible that sets it apart from all other religious books ever written? Is there any evidence that the Bible is truly God’s Word? These types of questions must be seriously examined if we are to determine the validity of the Bible’s claim to be the very Word of God, divinely inspired, and totally sufficient for all matters of faith and practice. There can be no doubt that the Bible does claim to be the very Word of God. This is clearly seen in Paul’s commendation to Timothy:“… from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work”(2 Timothy 3:15-17).
CONT
But and however....Catholics say the Bible is not the only Word of God!!!!! They say their "traditions" and their "magnastrium" (misspelled am sure)are also the Word of God....So, they can "trump" and Scripture they want by evoking these two other sources of the Word of God...that they...and only they have!!!!!

And they have the gall to say that Christ is the redeemer of the world!!! Imagine that!!!!Christ, a Jew on earth for thirty-three years or so, of the Race that God repeatedly calls His chosen, has abandoned them and because He favors the Catholics, and only the Catholics, He gave them "the inside track" that only they have!!!!

Location hidden

#458750 Jul 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Jesus said so.
Is that not contradicting???? "Don't drink blood" "its O.k..drink blood!!!!???"
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#458751 Jul 3, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a whole list of prayers TO THE SAINTS.
http://www.catholic-saints.info/catholic-sain...
Will there be one to JOHN PAUL.
this says nothing of intercession..That I get..Nit to the saints themselves..And trust me,I still find myself praying to St Anthony if I lose things..have to correct myself
I sometimes ask the Blessed Virgin to pray to her Son for me and my prayers are answered. She intercedes for me. I'm good with that and I know Jesus is too.

Location hidden

#458752 Jul 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You're making an infallible statement that those in heaven aren't interceding for us?
How do "us"know whom is in Heaven to intercede for "us"???
Anthony MN

United States

#458753 Jul 3, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
What different does that make? If he thought like a catholic when he was a Protestant (whatever Protestant means) then how much sense does that make. He either gets it right or go where he thinks he is.
Am I saying all Protestants are right? No the catholic church is not the only heretic church alive or dead.
He thought like a protestant. He was raised a protestant. He was educated as a protestant. He found truth in the Catholic Church.

You don't know who's right, but you know who's not, is that your position?

Location hidden

#458754 Jul 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Jesus said so.
Evidently there is no one in your congregation,, including you,that follows the teaching of drinking blood of Christ, as you say He commanded...why is that????

Your words: I don't know a single Catholic who has never received the blood of Christ.....

Anthony MN

United States

#458755 Jul 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that not contradicting???? "Don't drink blood" "its O.k..drink blood!!!!???"
He said drink His blood. Tell Him He's wrong.
Anthony MN

United States

#458756 Jul 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
They're called Saints. They are in the presence of God. They pray to Him for us if we ask, just like you asking one of your SBC friends to pray for you.

Location hidden

#458757 Jul 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof? The nuns prayed for another dying nun to Bl. John Paul asking for his intercession before God and she was cured of an incurable disease. That's crap to you.
And when your fellow pew warmer intercedes by praying for a sick congregant, and they get better, that's not crap.
Okie dokie.
Aunt....answer his question...."Why do you think you have the authority to declare the old guy in your congregation who died last month and who was "saved" is in heaven (even though you have no clue about his personal life)"

Its a valid question....how do you know the old guy is in Heaven?????
Anthony MN

United States

#458758 Jul 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently there is no one in your congregation,, including you,that follows the teaching of drinking blood of Christ, as you say He commanded...why is that????
Your words: I don't know a single Catholic who has never received the blood of Christ.....
Yeah, um, we don't drink the blood of anything/anyone except Jesus.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#458759 Jul 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.__John 3:13

Plain and simple.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Word + 2 2 min andet1987 495
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 min mike 599,847
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min WasteWater 257,871
Arkansas'......'O.J.' 8 min Doctor REALITY 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Stilgar Fifrawi 732,812
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 min RiccardoFire 94,649
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Thinking 226,288
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search