Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646374 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#458720 Jul 3, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all myth to me.
To you, yes. But it's not.

And you do not have the knowledge base to distinguish what is fiction and what is not.

Now go read a good, non-Christian scholar whose written something intended for a general audience.

In that regard, as before, I'd recommend Ehrman.

He studied under Metzger at Princeton (I think Metzger was a believer, though I don't understand how that could be.) Ehrman teaches along with Tabor at UNC, one of the finest schools in the country in this field. And Ehrman is perhaps the best there is -- today.
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#458721 Jul 3, 2013
Vote for Pedro wrote:
<quoted text>
Will someone get some fluids in this child? It is an emergency and should be done through an IV. He is now saying that the "Word was made flesh" in the garden of Eden. Wow, what a tragedy!
Pedro Pedro Pedro are you ok?
I did not say that. Your confusion has reached a critical point.
I meant that Christ is not confined by your church heretic interpretation of the Bible where you claim that Mary is the mother of god and/or her spouse.
Mary is a descendant of Adam and Eve therefore a sinner just as you are.
Find a cool shade Pedro. What's the temperature now in San Antonio?
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#458722 Jul 3, 2013
Vote for Pedro wrote:
<quoted text>
Ms. Rose, I am inclined to think, from reading your posts, that you are a gentle soul. And I thank God for the grace of kindness that He has bestowed upon you. AS to your post above, think of it this way: Lets say a soldier at war lays down his life to save not only our freedoms but also the lives of his entire fellow soldiers. He comes home less an arm or a leg or both. Everyone knows he is a hero, yet they (the USA) commend him with the medals to show that he will eternally be recognized as a hero. That is exactly what the Church does with saints. Though everyone recognizes that the person merits the opportunity to be received into the Kingdom of Heaven, the Church is just outwardly, in a human sense, commending them with the title of "Saint in heaven".
Peace be with you sweet child of God!
That sounds so beautiful but very wrong again Pedrito!
Saints don't get the glory and don't become saints when they die either.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#458723 Jul 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You're making an infallible statement that those in heaven aren't interceding for us?
lol. good one.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#458724 Jul 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics don't even know the definition of "saint"...
SAINT
A holy person, a friend of God, either on earth or in heaven, De 33:2
It is sometimes used of the pious Israelites, as Ps 16:3; 34:9
Nothing is more frequent in Paul than the name of saints given to all Christians, Ro 1:7; 8:27; 12:13; 15:25,31; 16:2 In this acceptation it continued during the early ages of Christianity; nor was it applied to individuals declared to be saints by any other act of the church than admission to its membership, till various corruptions had depraved the primitive principles.
The church of Rome assumes the power of making saints; that is, of announcing certain departed spirits as objects of worship, from whom the faithful may solicit favors-a notion worthy of the dark ages in which it originated.
Or antiquity, in which your myth arose.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#458725 Jul 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your question is uninformed. I don't think you know the first thing about the Koresh cult. Catholics are obliged to believe the pope when he speaks ex cathedra.
Hog wash...that is not based on the Sacred Word of God...it is un Christian in nature..

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#458726 Jul 3, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>I find it as offensive as no doubt you do.You did not notice that the crowd was comparatively small,as Christianity in South Korea is very progressive these days.The largest c h u r c h in the world is in Seoul,pastor Cho,and his services are exuberant with robust singing and many shouts,but no displays such as these.I have been to many types of Pentecostal churches in this country and in England.Some churches of that persuasion are orderly,and some are outrageous.I find the whole matter either a strong work of the flesh,or of the Spirit.The Spirit brings order,and sanity,as God is Creator who gives human beings respect.
I would not waste my time any longer to go to that type of church you saw in the youtube.They cause me to get upset.I am part of the Assembly of God churches.There were those in the past that were quite emotional,but I never saw people rolling on the floor and having shaking fits.Not saying you would not see that in some churches.BUT today especially most Christian churches frown on that opportunity for people to operate as we say in the flesh,giving in to hillarity,no self-control.God is only mocked in such situations rather than glorified.
Another problem with allowing excess behavior in worship services,is to cause people to scoff and be in danger of blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.To say that evil is done by the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin.
There are some sensitive issues when it comes to worship.Some Christians are very formal,others are openly excited and exhuberant,and than some are frantic and overly emotional.Most overly emotional people have no substance and often down the road are easily thrown off course from their consistent faith.
Most Christians worship in an orderly manner.
I have worshipped in an Assembly of God Church. What I remember the most about this was joy and thankfulness. There is no question that I felt the Holy Spirit. The Orthodox Service-the contrast- very somber. Yet God reached me both ways. Why do we God that God has to
dance to our choreography? That's how the people missed Who Jesus was the first time.
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#458727 Jul 3, 2013
A catholic description of a saint is all over the place void of truth.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/rel...
Clay

Garden City, MI

#458728 Jul 3, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's only bizarre because you're neck deep in it Clay. The connection is both followers believe whatever the one leading them says.
But you're a hypocrite Chuck. You follow your own interpretations and (assumingly) teach your children to follow your interpretations.

We Catholics are guaranteed that the Pope will never go against sacred scripture and sacred tradition from the Apostles. He simply doesn't have the authority to do it!

This is why Catholicism looks completely different than the born again Presbyterian Evangelical Baptist Adventist (or whatever you are).

And btw, I'm not "neck deep" in following the Catholic Church. I'm completely submerged. You guys had your chance to show me the 'truth' to save me. You spoke, I listened and you failed miserably to convert me. You had to lie about Catholicism and Catholicism didn't need to lie about you. Period.
(not you personally Chuck)
LTM

Kingston, Canada

#458729 Jul 3, 2013
Garlic man wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, we do have to argue God's word because of people, such as yourself, who worship not the Word of God, but the Bible as an idol and who have declared themselves their own pope, by their own self-appointed authority. Bible-only Christians are leading many people astray and to their eternal destruction.
Garlic Man the Holy Scriptures were good enough for Jesus they are good enough for me.
When confronting the enemy be ready with the sword which is the written word of God.
Hebrew 4:11 says -“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul & spirit, joints & marrow; it judges the thoughts & attitudes of the heart.”
We are to follow Jesus example when satan tempted Him in the wilderness He said to satan every time it is written.

Matthew 4

King James Version (KJV)

4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,

6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

WHAT IS IT YOU CATHOLIC'S DON'T WANT US TO READ IN THE BIBLE , WHAT ARE YOU A SCARED OF.
THAT YOU ARE A PAGAN RELIGION, AND THAT YOU WORSHIP A PAGAN GODDESS, AND NOT THE ALMIGHT GOD EL SHADDIA.

Psalm 149:6 -”May the praise of God be in their mouths and a double edged sword in their hands, to inflict vengeance on the nations and punishment on the peoples, to bind their kings with fetters, their nobles with shackles of iron, to carry out the sentence written against them. This is the glory of all the saints. Praise the Lord.” It is the Glory of all the saints to do such a work.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#458730 Jul 3, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
confrinting:
KM
I very much agree with you. The more we meditate on the simple things in Bible, the more illuminating they become in our lives. Thank you for your insight.
God is the Healer.
I tend to think it takes time, and experience in our lives to become like simple children in Christ. We need time to understand our experiences, and they are all connected by God's Love.
Profound.

Location hidden

#458731 Jul 3, 2013
Would a Catholic share with me the message in the following:

Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#458732 Jul 3, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
And what were the revelations Hojo?
Further appearances were reported to have taken place on the thirteenth day of the month in June and July. In these, the woman asked the children to do penance and Acts of Reparation as well as making personal sacrifices to save sinners. The children subsequently wore tight cords around their waists to cause themselves pain, performed self-flagellation using stinging nettles, abstained from drinking water on hot days, and performed other works of penance.
The second secret included Mary's instructions on how to save souls from hell and convert the world to the Christian faith, also revealed by Lúcia in her Third Memoir:
"I have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart.
These are lies from Satan Hojo.
Marge!! The problem is that you, Confrinting and the rest of you bible only "fundies" have been so corrupted and indoctrinated in your half-truth, half-heresy Protestant "propaganda" of anti-catholic hate, hostility and vengeance that "the HISTORICAL AND BIBLICAL TRUTH" of Jesus Christ One (and only one)TRUE Catholic Church has made it "virtually impossible" to penetrate your own "blindness" to the TRUTH!!..... Satan--the father of lies---has corrupted every one of your 42,000 contradicting and conflicting Protestant bible only denominations since the Reformation and you bible only "editorializing fundamentalists" have "bought into" his "devisive and cunning" (relative truth) deceitfulness with abortion, gay marriage, euthenasia, embroyonic stem cell research, women ministers, homosexual preachers and God only knows "whats next" depending on which way the liberal political wind "happens to blow"!!!....... Until you come to the TRUTH of TRUE Salvation in Jesus Christ, your "blindness to the TRUTH will remain!!!
LTM

Kingston, Canada

#458733 Jul 3, 2013
"Is the Bible truly God's Word?"

Answer: Our answer to this question will not only determine how we view the Bible and its importance to our lives, but also it will ultimately have an eternal impact on us. If the Bible is truly God’s Word, then we should cherish it, study it, obey it, and fully trust it. If the Bible is the Word of God, then to dismiss it is to dismiss God Himself.

The fact that God gave us the Bible is an evidence and illustration of His love for us. The term “revelation” simply means that God communicated to mankind what He is like and how we can have a right relationship with Him. These are things that we could not have known had God not divinely revealed them to us in the Bible. Although God’s revelation of Himself in the Bible was given progressively over approximately 1500 years, it has always contained everything man needs to know about God in order to have a right relationship with Him. If the Bible is truly the Word of God, then it is the final authority for all matters of faith, religious practice, and morals.

The question we must ask ourselves is how can we know that the Bible is the Word of God and not just a good book? What is unique about the Bible that sets it apart from all other religious books ever written? Is there any evidence that the Bible is truly God’s Word? These types of questions must be seriously examined if we are to determine the validity of the Bible’s claim to be the very Word of God, divinely inspired, and totally sufficient for all matters of faith and practice. There can be no doubt that the Bible does claim to be the very Word of God. This is clearly seen in Paul’s commendation to Timothy:“… from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work”(2 Timothy 3:15-17).

CONT
LTM

Kingston, Canada

#458734 Jul 3, 2013
CONT

There are both internal and external evidences that the Bible is truly God’s Word. The internal evidences are those things within the Bible that testify of its divine origin. One of the first internal evidences that the Bible is truly God’s Word is seen in its unity. Even though it is really sixty-six individual books, written on three continents, in three different languages, over a period of approximately 1500 years, by more than 40 authors who came from many walks of life, the Bible remains one unified book from beginning to end without contradiction. This unity is unique from all other books and is evidence of the divine origin of the words which God moved men to record.

Another of the internal evidences that indicates the Bible is truly God’s Word is the prophecies contained within its pages. The Bible contains hundreds of detailed prophecies relating to the future of individual nations including Israel, certain cities, and mankind. Other prophecies concern the coming of One who would be the Messiah, the Savior of all who would believe in Him. Unlike the prophecies found in other religious books or those by men such as Nostradamus, biblical prophecies are extremely detailed. There are over three hundred prophecies concerning Jesus Christ in the Old Testament. Not only was it foretold where He would be born and His lineage, but also how He would die and that He would rise again. There simply is no logical way to explain the fulfilled prophecies in the Bible other than by divine origin. There is no other religious book with the extent or type of predictive prophecy that the Bible contains.

A third internal evidence of the divine origin of the Bible is its unique authority and power. While this evidence is more subjective than the first two, it is no less a powerful testimony of the divine origin of the Bible. The Bible’s authority is unlike any other book ever written. This authority and power are best seen in the way countless lives have been transformed by the supernatural power of God’s Word. Drug addicts have been cured by it, homosexuals set free by it, derelicts and deadbeats transformed by it, hardened criminals reformed by it, sinners rebuked by it, and hate turned to love by it. The Bible does possess a dynamic and transforming power that is only possible because it is truly God’s Word.

CONT
LTM

Kingston, Canada

#458735 Jul 3, 2013
CONT
There are also external evidences that indicate the Bible is truly the Word of God. One is the historicity of the Bible. Because the Bible details historical events, its truthfulness and accuracy are subject to verification like any other historical document. Through both archaeological evidences and other writings, the historical accounts of the Bible have been proven time and time again to be accurate and true. In fact, all the archaeological and manuscript evidence supporting the Bible makes it the best-documented book from the ancient world. The fact that the Bible accurately and truthfully records historically verifiable events is a great indication of its truthfulness when dealing with religious subjects and doctrines and helps substantiate its claim to be the very Word of God.

Another external evidence that the Bible is truly God’s Word is the integrity of its human authors. As mentioned earlier, God used men from many walks of life to record His words. In studying the lives of these men, we find them to be honest and sincere. The fact that they were willing to die often excruciating deaths for what they believed testifies that these ordinary yet honest men truly believed God had spoken to them. The men who wrote the New Testament and many hundreds of other believers (1 Corinthians 15:6) knew the truth of their message because they had seen and spent time with Jesus Christ after He had risen from the dead. Seeing the risen Christ had a tremendous impact on them. They went from hiding in fear to being willing to die for the message God had revealed to them. Their lives and deaths testify to the fact that the Bible truly is God’s Word.

A final external evidence that the Bible is truly God’s Word is the indestructibility of the Bible. Because of its importance and its claim to be the very Word of God, the Bible has suffered more vicious attacks and attempts to destroy it than any other book in history. From early Roman Emperors like Diocletian, through communist dictators and on to modern-day atheists and agnostics, the Bible has withstood and outlasted all of its attackers and is still today the most widely published book in the world.

Throughout time, skeptics have regarded the Bible as mythological, but archeology has confirmed it as historical. Opponents have attacked its teaching as primitive and outdated, but its moral and legal concepts and teachings have had a positive influence on societies and cultures throughout the world. It continues to be attacked by pseudo-science, psychology, and political movements, yet it remains just as true and relevant today as it was when it was first written. It is a book that has transformed countless lives and cultures throughout the last 2000 years. No matter how its opponents try to attack, destroy, or discredit it, the Bible remains; its veracity and impact on lives is unmistakable. The accuracy which has been preserved despite every attempt to corrupt, attack, or destroy it is clear testimony to the fact that the Bible is truly God’s Word and is supernaturally protected by Him. It should not surprise us that, no matter how the Bible is attacked, it always comes out unchanged and unscathed. After all, Jesus said,“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away”(Mark 13:31). After looking at the evidence, one can say without a doubt that, yes, the Bible is truly God’s Word.

GOTQUESTIONS.COM

Location hidden

#458736 Jul 3, 2013
Hey aunt!!!!! Whadda boutit?????

Ac 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well...

Among other things to abstain from blood...

Question: So why to Catholics guzzle the blood of Christ????!!! That Scripture does not apply to them?????

Location hidden

#458737 Jul 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're a hypocrite Chuck. You follow your own interpretations and (assumingly) teach your children to follow your interpretations.
We Catholics are guaranteed that the Pope will never go against sacred scripture and sacred tradition from the Apostles. He simply doesn't have the authority to do it!
This is why Catholicism looks completely different than the born again Presbyterian Evangelical Baptist Adventist (or whatever you are).
And btw, I'm not "neck deep" in following the Catholic Church. I'm completely submerged. You guys had your chance to show me the 'truth' to save me. You spoke, I listened and you failed miserably to convert me. You had to lie about Catholicism and Catholicism didn't need to lie about you. Period.
(not you personally Chuck)
Bull corn!!!!

"We Catholics are guaranteed that the Pope will never go against sacred scripture and sacred tradition from the Apostles. He simply doesn't have the authority to do it!"

That teaching is not based on the Sacred Word of God...the Bible..it is un Christian in nature...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#458738 Jul 3, 2013
Disciple wrote:
A catholic description of a saint is all over the place void of truth.
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/rel...
Nice guy Peter Kreeft. Did you know he is a Catholic convert from protestantism?
http://chnetwork.org/2011/10/hauled-aboard-th...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#458739 Jul 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Hey aunt!!!!! Whadda boutit?????
Ac 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well...
Among other things to abstain from blood...
Question: So why to Catholics guzzle the blood of Christ????!!! That Scripture does not apply to them?????
Because Jesus said so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Buck Crick 48,155
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 8 min DENG 38,741
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 min VIKING 971,591
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 15 min jbraly 105,559
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 42 min X Pendable 182,625
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 48 min Peace_Warrior 618,558
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 49 min WasteWater 2,016
More from around the web